Injury Report: Feb. 10: Shayne Gostisbehere, practiced, could play in early March (Nov. 8, torn ACL)

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
this is not good, but with modern medicine it's nor nearly as threatening as it used to be.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
didn't remember much contact when Ghost went down. totally missed that. thought he had gotten by the player when he went down.
Ghost skated by Kevin Raine and from what I've seen on tape, Raine hit him in the back as Ghost passed him. So we see an UDFA with little to no potential of ever making it to the NHL knock out a top grade prospect.
I understand that Injuries happen everywhere. However IMO, this the problem with having prospects such as Ghost, Laughton, etc. playing in the A as Hextall seems to want. Along comes some never going to be anybody trying to make a name for himself by taking down an elite player. Raine got beat and tried to make up for it with a risky play from behind. Now six months of Ghost's development is in the toilet. Its for reasons like this that you keep your star youngsters on the roster with the big club. They'll learn more by practicing against NHLers and getting bits of ice time in games at that level than being exposed to the knuckle draggers in the AHL like Raine.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Ghost skated by Kevin Raine and from what I've seen on tape, Raine hit him in the back as Ghost passed him. So we see an UDFA with little to no potential of ever making it to the NHL knock out a top grade prospect.
I understand that Injuries happen everywhere. However IMO, this the problem with having prospects such as Ghost, Laughton, etc. playing in the A as Hextall seems to want. Along comes some never going to be anybody trying to make a name for himself by taking down an elite player. Raine got beat and tried to make up for it with a risky play from behind. Now six months of Ghost's development is in the toilet. Its for reasons like this that you keep your star youngsters on the roster with the big club. They'll learn more by practicing against NHLers and getting bits of ice time in games at that level than being exposed to the knuckle draggers in the AHL like Raine.

This is an overreaction. Developing players belong in the AHL, not making game costing, confidence killing mistakes on an NHL team that is likely playoff bound.

Besides, Ghost has to learn how to play D at a pro level and is just as likely to get crushed by a big NHL winger like Lucic as hurt falling into the boards. To have him sitting in the pressbox and practicing, on the rare days they get to practice, with the Flyers would be a total waste.

The other option is tank the entire season, trade everybody over 28, and be like Edmonton, developing kids by losing at the NHL level so they don't get hurt in the AHL. Lose every game for 5 years until their confidence is shot (and like Taylor Hall, they have multiple knee injuries), then get rid of them all as failed prospects and start over in 2019....

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Galchenyuk and Morgan Rielly both tore their ACLs in their draft years and came back to finish out their seasons.

I'm more worried about the time he will miss on the ice.

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
Wow, that suck for you guys. Hopefully he only loses out on some development time. A great prospect. Tough luck for him and the Flyers.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Damnn, that's terrible news. Hoping for a quick recover, for his own sake. Would really suck for a top prospect to take a blow to his career this early on

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
You can recover quickly but the problem is how easily they reoccur. What a **** in the pants this is.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This isn't going to derail his career too much, but it sure as **** still sucks.

I hate our luck. Did we make a deal with the devil to win our 2 cups?

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
better now when he's a prospect still rather than a November in the next couple of years when he's a full-time Flyer who we're relying on

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
This is an overreaction. Developing players belong in the AHL, not making game costing, confidence killing mistakes on an NHL team that is likely playoff bound.

Besides, Ghost has to learn how to play D at a pro level and is just as likely to get crushed by a big NHL winger like Lucic as hurt falling into the boards. To have him sitting in the pressbox and practicing, on the rare days they get to practice, with the Flyers would be a total waste.

The other option is tank the entire season, trade everybody over 28, and be like Edmonton, developing kids by losing at the NHL level so they don't get hurt in the AHL. Lose every game for 5 years until their confidence is shot (and like Taylor Hall, they have multiple knee injuries), then get rid of them all as failed prospects and start over in 2019....
My issue really is with the type of play that too often occurs in the AHL. Could players such as Laughton, Ghost, Hagg, Alt, etc. benefit from being in a D league? Sure but TPTB need to get on the type of play that goes on at that level. Going back to the year of the lockout when all teams stashed their young guys in the A, the play was truly developmental. However since then it has regressed to the point where an organization really needs to think about whether they want to expose their talented young guys to the thuggery and cheap shots that occur there too often.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
To those wondering acl is not as big a deal in hockey as it is in football. That said its as big as a blow as you can have in sports.

To ghost get well soon man

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yes, it would have been better if Stevens had kneed Lindros and just tore his ACL back in 2000. Brains don't really heal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Capgeek is available to you. Feel free to mock up a roster where we can keep every prospect on the team while remaining under the salary cap and under the 23-player maximum.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Simmonds/Giroux/Voracek
Raffl/Coutourier/Read
Rinaldo/Laughton/Leier or Cousins
Umberger/LeCavalier/PEB

Streit/Coburn
Alt/MacDonald
MDZ/Ghost
Hagg/Schultz

Mason
Emery

Grossmann and the Schenn brothers are gone.
There is almost $7M in cap space to re-sign Voracek, Raffl and Coburn.
I don't believe that the overall play of LSchenn, Cola, Grossmann is any better than Hagg, Alt or Ghost. The same goes for Laughton, Leier or Cousins. I don't see where VV, Akeson and the like are any better than them?
At some point you have to play the kids in the NHL for cap reasons and to get them experience.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Its for reasons like this that you keep your star youngsters on the roster with the big club. They'll learn more by practicing against NHLers and getting bits of ice time in games at that level than being exposed to the knuckle draggers in the AHL like Raine.

Utter nonsense. Having Ghost or Hagg as the 7th or 8th defensemen in the NHL would be terrible for their development.

Ghost suffering a freak accident does not mean there's anything wrong with playing young players in the AHL. Just look at how well Muzzin, Voynov, Pearson and Toffoli have done after getting plenty of AHL experience.

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Utter nonsense. Having Ghost or Hagg as the 7th or 8th defensemen in the NHL would be terrible for their development.
Why? Practicing every day with and against the best is a bad idea? The coaching staff would have to be careful with their ice time and not let them get overwhelmed but that's manageable.
It's worked well with many young players-ex. Hamilton, Maatta, etc.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maatta is good enough for the NHL. But there are great young players all over the AHL. I just listed four from Hextall's last team that used it as a springboard to being solid NHL players. But just counting defensemen from the 2012 draft class you have Griffin Reinhart, Derick Pouilot, Slater Koekkoek, Ville Pokka, Matt Finn and Dylan Blujus all playing in the AHL.

Crap goes on in the NHL, too, if you haven't noticed. The play Ghost got hurt on wasn't some goon ramming his head into the boards. It could have happened just as easily in an NHL game.

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Maatta is good enough for the NHL. But there are great young players all over the AHL. I just listed four from Hextall's last team that used it as a springboard to being solid NHL players.

Crap goes on in the NHL, too, if you haven't noticed. The play Ghost got hurt on wasn't some goon ramming his head into the boards. It could have happened just as easily in an NHL game.

And I listed some guys who have done well in the show without being exposed to the stuff in the A. I don't care for Hextall's philosophy that young players need minor league experience. I watched the way Keenan brought along To Tocchet Zezel and Derek Smith as a kiddie line. They did just fine. I have a hard time believing that some of the young guys at LV aren't better players than some of the end of the roster types that are in Philly right now. Just because their young doesn't mean that they have to go to the A.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Players like Hagg, Alt and Ghost are not going to develop properly without getting around 20 minutes a game and getting to play in all situations, something that would not happen if they were in the NHL.

Ghost was clearly out of his depth in his two game stint and a veteran who had been training on his own like CC came in cold and handily outplayed him. Ghost's just not as physically ready for the NHL at a young age as guys like Hamilton and Maatta were.

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
Why? Practicing every day with and against the best is a bad idea? The coaching staff would have to be careful with their ice time and not let them get overwhelmed but that's manageable.
It's worked well with many young players-ex. Hamilton, Maatta, etc.

2652659-6894110353-dwf7v.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad