Injury Report: Feb. 10: Shayne Gostisbehere, practiced, could play in early March (Nov. 8, torn ACL)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The list of NFL players who have successfully come back from ACL surgery is miles long. Willis McGahee tore 3 of the 4 ligaments in his knee in college and still was a 1000 yd rusher in the NFL. It's nowhere near as likely to be career threatening as it used to be.

I also think playing hockey is easier on the knees than playing running back or any regular NFL position.

I still vividly remember when Rod Woodson took his ACL just by catching his foot on the astroturf. That stuff was dangerous.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I also think playing hockey is easier on the knees than playing running back or any regular NFL position.

I still vividly remember when Rod Woodson took his ACL just by catching his foot on the astroturf. That stuff was dangerous.

I think that's true. I had knee surgery years ago and wouldn't even think of playing football or soccer now, but I can still play hockey.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The injury looked nasty even on the grainy video. Gotta hope he can return to form....if for some terrible reason he does not..we need to find out who or what is cursing this team with career threatening/ending injuries. So tired of this crap..

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The list of NFL players who have successfully come back from ACL surgery is miles long. Willis McGahee tore 3 of the 4 ligaments in his knee in college and still was a 1000 yd rusher in the NFL. It's nowhere near as likely to be career threatening as it used to be.

willis mcgahee was one of the best running back prospects ever, and was such an explosive player in college. His injury made him a shell of what he was.

He had a long career but he could have been a hall of famer.

make no mistake acl is one of the most serious injuries an athlete can sustain.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
35-year old Pascal Dupuis tore his ACL last season, and scored four points in his first game back. Still skates pretty well.

Need not be catastrophic for a hockey player.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
willis mcgahee was one of the best running back prospects ever, and was such an explosive player in college. His injury made him a shell of what he was.

He had a long career but he could have been a hall of famer.

make no mistake acl is one of the most serious injuries an athlete can sustain.

It really depends on how badly it is torn... the fact Hextall says he could be back by year end makes me think it is 'not too bad' a tear.

Mine was a partial tear... and after 4 months I could pretty much do everything to the level I could before with little discomfort of the knee itself, all discomfort went after like 7 months.

The only lasting damage is actually to my hip on that side... as I came back to quickly (I was fighting for a roster spot on an U17 national team... silly really as I was only ever good enough before injury to creep into the 30 man squad as an afterthought... never for the 18 man cut!) and 'cheated' on a lot of activity involving that leg for a while, kind of 'favouring' it in a way for a few months as I was scared it would go again... which caused hip problems due to the mechanics being all out of whack! But that would not have happened with better trainers and top medical care.

The knee now is perfect as can be... no complaints for 7 years.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
35-year old Pascal Dupuis tore his ACL last season, and scored four points in his first game back. Still skates pretty well.

Need not be catastrophic for a hockey player.

Malkin tore his ACL I believe in 2011He's fine. Gostisbehere will be fine.

Gostisbehere will be able to spend time up with the flyers watching games and learning.

Morin is doing that, they both will be fine

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Malkin tore his ACL I believe in 2011He's fine. Gostisbehere will be fine.

Gostisbehere will be able to spend time up with the flyers watching games and learning.

Morin is doing that, they both will be fine

Funny, I forgot about Malkin.

Yeah, don't panic over Gostisbehere.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The injury looked nasty even on the grainy video. Gotta hope he can return to form....if for some terrible reason he does not..we need to find out who or what is cursing this team with career threatening/ending injuries. So tired of this crap..

I was at the game and had a good r view of it and it didn't look good when he went down. was hoping for a high ankle sprain or a knee sprain. this just ****ing sucks. just totally ruined my night. just not sure if he just lost an edge or caught a skate blade on the back of the goal.

Last edited:

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
It didn't look like much of anything, even skating off he put some weight on it...

Is it a full or partial tear?

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
Thanks for the updates... I tore my ACL and MCL in HS (12 years ago) and I was never the same despite some really good rehab care. Bye bye scholarships. :(

Mine is now 2 years old. I did an autograft (hamstring) and my knee is perfect. My only issue is rolling and helping the hamstring (I must squat to feel well!).

Ghost will undoubtedly get an allograft. Those are getting to be the ideal choice. My buddy got one, and according to him, used the primary physician from the Sixers (I will ask him to provide proof I swear), he is better off than me. He is playing soccer twice a week and running marathons. That *******...

I am not awful, just wish I chose the allograft option...

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
It didn't look like much of anything, even skating off he put some weight on it...

Is it a full or partial tear?

Full or partial...is doesn't really matter. I mean, unless it was the slightest of tears, then the ligament MAY be able to heal itself. But the ACL is not too vascular so it has a hard time doing this. Hence the need to do a full replacement. The LCL (I believe? Don't feel like confirming, but its that or the MCL) can actually heal itself in certain instances, however....

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Horrible news. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and it doesn't affect his development too much.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
ACL injuries are unpredictable. Depends a lot on the type of rupture.
Some players get surgergy, make it through rehab and don't miss a beat and others are never the same again. Also, probability to re-injury the same knee again are very high.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

That's the thing with ACL's it seems now. They just happen, at least in football. Woodson made it back to play in the Super Bowl.

Torn ACL's aren't the death sentence they used to be. You worry about how it will affect his quickness though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Noel already got hurt again and keeps missing games.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
An ACL injury in basketball might be even worse than football because of all the jumping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad