Injury Report: Feb. 10: Shayne Gostisbehere, practiced, could play in early March (Nov. 8, torn ACL)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Shayne Gostisbehere torn ACL (left knee). Out indefinitely and will have surgery on Thursday.
---------------------

The 21-year-old blueliner and Flyers top prospect went into the boards awkwardly in the third period of the Phantoms' 3-2 win over the Manchester Monarchs Friday night and tore his ACL. He'll have surgery Nov. 13, but his season may not be over.

"I don't believe so, no," Flyers general manager Ron Hextall said.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...here-out-indefinitely-with-torn-acl/18729867/

----------------------

Hextall's interview (video): http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1001&id=666498&lang=en

----------------------

January 5, 2015:

Among the many topics that were commented on was the injury and rehab process of defense prospect Shayne Gostisbehere, who suffered a torn ACL on Nov. 7 in the Phantoms game in Manchester against the Monarchs that a week later required surgery.

Gostisbehere has been spending time rehabbing at the Flyers practice facility, but has just recently made an important step in getting back on the ice.

“He’s been skating for a little while,†said Hextall. “He skated today. It’s just a skate though. It’s an aerobic skate, and he goes out there and skates around and trying to get his wind back and legs back. So he’s well on the way to recovery, albeit he still has some time.â€

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=747226&navid=DL|PHI|home

Last edited:

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Didn't he tear his ACL before in either college or high school? I thought I remembered reading something about how he was a two sport athlete recovering from an ACL tear or something.

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
You gotta be ****ing kidding me... It's usually 18-24 months until a full recovery, hopefully he's young enough that he can recover well... but **** me, we finally get some D prospects and they break their jaw and tear their ACL...

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
It's bad. And I'm ****ing pissed, but ACL tears aren't as debilitating as they once were. Hopefully he'll make a full, quick recovery.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
We'll see on the prognosis. Perhaps this is an indication of good fortune to a drab story, but according to Hexy through Tim P.:

Hextall: Ghost injury: torn ACL left knee; months rehab; surgery THUR. But could come back to play late this season

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This is getting absurd. God hates us.

Though ACLs now can be quite comfortably fully recovered from within 6 months now. I only 'partially' tore mine but 4 months later it was perfect.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I tore my ACL when I was fifteen and made a full recovery in 7 months. Ghost could very well make a full recovery, but this is a setback. Hopefully he can fully recover.

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
You gotta be ****ing kidding me... It's usually 18-24 months until a full recovery, hopefully he's young enough that he can recover well... but **** me, we finally get some D prospects and they break their jaw and tear their ACL...

Just have to point out that this is not true (at least entirely).

ACL reconstructive surgery has come so unbelievably far in the past 5 years (let alone 10).

He will be taken care of by the best of the best and will be rehabbing a week post op at the latest. His knee will be weakest in 2-3 months but he will be walking and making strides in rehab. If he is not fully training off-ice by the summer then there is cause for concern. And by all means he could be on ice training by April.

Then it will be 18 months and he will never be the same. IF this is the case then the graft angle/positioning was off or the graft itself was compromised somehow.

Source: ACL tear myelf, two family members, my best friend, and work at a PT office.

I am so down trodden about this. He was by far my favorite of our prospects. I hope for a speedy recovery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad