Injury Report: Feb. 10: Shayne Gostisbehere, practiced, could play in early March (Nov. 8, torn ACL)

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
Hopefully he makes a full recovery. He has time on his side at least. Still though...:cry:

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
Come on. There's a good chance he makes a 100% recovery at his age, and perhaps within 6-9 months.

I honestly think the worst thing the Flyers medical staff could do is rush his recovery. Just focus on his rehab one step at a time. The knees strength is typically around 90-95%(relative to potential strength) at 9-12 months. But this strength, if rehabbed correctly can exceed the previous strength of the knee before the injury.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
That really sucks. Remember, Karlsson severed his Achilles and he's still an elite offensive player. Still room for optimism even though the injury is quite serious.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Medicine has come along way. In 1974 when I tore my MCL and ACL, they cut me then put a full plaster leg cast on me for a few months! Now the surgery is way less invasive. Still, the rehab is key, and Ghost will be fine.

That seems to be a consistent analysis. Hexy's quote pertaining to differences based on the individual ["different timetable for everybody"] should be a point of emphasis, too.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
This makes me sad. Hopefully his recovery goes smoothly.

Philadelphia luck at its finest...

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Injuries are a part of the game. That said I hope he makes it back 100%.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Just have to point out that this is not true (at least entirely).

ACL reconstructive surgery has come so unbelievably far in the past 5 years (let alone 10).

He will be taken care of by the best of the best and will be rehabbing a week post op at the latest. His knee will be weakest in 2-3 months but he will be walking and making strides in rehab. If he is not fully training off-ice by the summer then there is cause for concern. And by all means he could be on ice training by April.

Then it will be 18 months and he will never be the same. IF this is the case then the graft angle/positioning was off or the graft itself was compromised somehow.

Source: ACL tear myelf, two family members, my best friend, and work at a PT office.

I am so down trodden about this. He was by far my favorite of our prospects. I hope for a speedy recovery.

The one thing I will say about the long recovery is that you can physically heal in less than 18-24 months but I do feel like it takes a long time to get over the mental aspect and fully trust that joint again and be able to cut and turn on it the way you could pre-injury.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Adrian Peterson tore his ACL and MCL in 2011, in 2012 he gained over 2000 yds rushing and was MVP. It sucks for Ghost but he'll be back.

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
Just have to point out that this is not true (at least entirely).

ACL reconstructive surgery has come so unbelievably far in the past 5 years (let alone 10).

He will be taken care of by the best of the best and will be rehabbing a week post op at the latest. His knee will be weakest in 2-3 months but he will be walking and making strides in rehab. If he is not fully training off-ice by the summer then there is cause for concern. And by all means he could be on ice training by April.

Then it will be 18 months and he will never be the same. IF this is the case then the graft angle/positioning was off or the graft itself was compromised somehow.

Source: ACL tear myelf, two family members, my best friend, and work at a PT office.

I am so down trodden about this. He was by far my favorite of our prospects. I hope for a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the updates... I tore my ACL and MCL in HS (12 years ago) and I was never the same despite some really good rehab care. Bye bye scholarships. :(

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
for every adrian peterson there is a shawn merriman and antonio cromartie.

The list of NFL players who have successfully come back from ACL surgery is miles long. Willis McGahee tore 3 of the 4 ligaments in his knee in college and still was a 1000 yd rusher in the NFL. It's nowhere near as likely to be career threatening as it used to be.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Thanks for the updates... I tore my ACL and MCL in HS (12 years ago) and I was never the same despite some really good rehab care. Bye bye scholarships. :(

I hope long term you will be fine. I finally bit the bullet and after 40 years had my knee replaced and trust me when I tell you I am happy my right knee is fine cause it hurts like a son of a gun for about a month and the rehab is slowwwwwwwwwwwww and you got to stay on it.

Solefool

Jul 2, 2013
For a guy who's main attribute other than his skill level is skating, this is not good. Hopefully because it happened at a young age, it doesn't destroy his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad