Post-Game Talk: Farmboy Strikes Again! Jets Win 2-1

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nope.

To answer the Q more fully: if we did that, and it caused LA's other two lines fits, those lines will simply play to not get scored on (trap, etc), and their top two lines will now pick apart lines that aren't as strong as CLT and CSW, IMO.

I'd do exactly as was done last night, and match CSW and CLT, and win the game rather than take a chance. There will be time in games going forward this year where you can play around with deployment - right now I'm more interested in the playoffs and the SC. Let the opportunity to find new solutions come to you: don't force it and pay for it, as you'll end up chasing the Central.

I'd even hazard a guess that if Campbell wasn't a brick wall and we were up 2-3 goals, that the deployment in the 3rd period would have been more even - it was a tight game, and LA played their lines to win. Sometimes you have to just go with the flow, and match them.
That's how I saw it. Despite the domination it was a game that had the result hanging in the balance all night because the Jets didn't open up a lead. It was one of those games where you could see the Kings get a couple of advantageous match-ups and tie the game or take a lead, despite getting badly outplayed. Maurice played to win, and that's the right move early in the season to bank some wins. Later in the season he might need to spread out the ice-time, or he can do that when the games aren't as close. I'm all for banking points now, and worrying about spreading the ice-time more when teams are tired and injured.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Don’t worry. It will become obvious to Paul Maurice about two years after everyone else. Only a year and a half to go.
Yep. For a bright man, his stubbornness keeps getting in the way. Now that he finally has all his horses, he just hasn't figured out how to use them properly and more importantly, how to distribute time to his lines to avoid getting guys overworked

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I agree the rotation was too slow but I also don't think he caught them the way he can. Laine has a shot that can beat a goalie whether he is set or not.

Yes, Laine`s shot was not exactly as he would want it last night. But the point remains that our PP is too predictable and the players too static - with the puck not moving fast enough ,especially across the ice to Laine from any of Wheeler/Buff/ Connor. But the players must avoid taking up positions and simply waiting for the patterned passout - they should at minimum move in and then out of the set-up position or even alternate positions (Schiefele/Laine) to encourage confusion and breakdown in defensive coverage. I`m pretty confident that we`ll begin to see some of that emerge as the team gets further into the season.

It is very encouraging to see the play of Connor in the down low position beside/around the net. He has shown all the attributes necessary to make the patterned plays work and will be a key factor in our PP performance going forward. I think that he has replaced Stastny in this role very nicely... .

Reactions: Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Probably has something to do with guaranteed pay.

Still - give him his games later in the season, after he has played some number of AHL games and is more nearly ready. This isn't doing the team any good and isn't doing him any favours either.

Reactions: Joe Strummer

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Yep. For a bright man, his stubbornness keeps getting in the way. Now that he finally has all his horses, he just hasn't figured out how to use them properly and more importantly, how to distribute time to his lines to avoid getting guys overworked

For sake of argument: you're behind the bench last night. What do you do to even out the TOI?

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
The Jets PP worries me. Lots of firepower but not generating much. They’ve basically reduced a PP to 3 on 3 between the circle and goal-line as opposition teams can take away the one timers to Buff and Laine with one forward. Hell of a play by Connor to catch Martinez napping/puck watching and slip through the backdoor to pop one in.

I think they need to diversify schematically.
Some of us saw the PP becoming stale towards the end of last season. It's time to shake it up now. With our personnel, we should have a dominant PP. At least as good as TML.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I wonder what the reaction to Maurice would be if he had sent E-L-L out against either the Kopitar or Carter lines in the 3rd and the Jets lost?

Because that's what he would of had to of done to even things out.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
At this rate of minutes someone from CSW will get injured sooner than later I`m afraid. Also, some posts contain bullshit at alarming rate. Maybe some posters watched the game with the ”eye” they sit on.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Yeah, I thought Wheeler looked fine, other than being exhausted. The ice allocation needs to be addressed.
Totally. Ice allocation has always been an issue & this continues. If they can't adjust line times for a home game like this, nor for the previous game where we were being blown out, then there's really little hope that PMo will ever get this adjusted.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
So Laine's line should have played more against Kopitar's and Carter's last night? In a one goal game? I don't think that would have worked out the way some people think it might have. Those aren't the matchups Maurice wants that line to have, especially at home. He got them on the ice against who he wanted, they just didn't produce.

The TOI for CLT isn't always going to look like that. That's the matchup Maurice chose, it worked.

Hard to produce with irregular ice time. I don't know why everyone is ignoring that. PoMo should get them on the ice more regardless of who they line up against. We see CSW get hemmed in their own zone at least a couple of times a game. Does that mean they shouldn't play against Kopitar as well? The whole notion that CSW is this super defensively responsible line compared to ELL is pretty hilarious imo.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I imagine they should give him those games in Finland. Is that not games 10 & 11 of the year? If so, high time to send him down to the Moose so they can call him up for those two.

Maybe the plan all along was to let him play the 2 games in Finland, then he stays there to save on airfare costs. Kind of like the Jets version of bumming a ride :sarcasm:

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011

LOL thats ridiculous, Mustard Kitties.
Will the Preds start raising a banner for every game they win this season? A banner for every goal? Banners for everyone!!!

url

url

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
At this rate of minutes someone from CSW will get injured sooner than later I`m afraid. Also, some posts contain bull**** at alarming rate. Maybe some posters watched the game with the ”eye” they sit on.
They most certainly do :rolleyes:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
What a hit by Trouba early on against Doughty , best game i've seen from Trouba in a long time . I do agree with others on here about ice times , Maurice plays Scheif and Wheeler too much , at least get them off the PK . We have a deep enough roster that those guys shouldn't be killing penalties , great win now lets kick Nashville's ass on Thursday .
Unfortunately, I think they are needed on the PK because if we don't use them we get results like the Dallas game. Otherwise I'd agree, best way to distribute time is to get some other effective forwards on the PK.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Hard to produce with irregular ice time. I don't know why everyone is ignoring that. PoMo should get them on the ice more regardless of who they line up against. We see CSW get hemmed in their own zone at least a couple of times a game. Does that mean they shouldn't play against Kopitar as well? The whole notion that CSW is this super defensively responsible line compared to ELL is pretty hilarious imo.

I don't find anything funny, but that wouldn't be "hilarious" to me.

Defensively: CSW > ELL.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
C-S-W completely dominated that match up last night, it's not about being a super defensive line, nice false equivalency. I don't have much faith in E-L-L to do the same, they are nowhere near as good at maintaining possession against competition like that. They could have maybe played a bit more against the Carter line and C-L-T could have picked up a bit of slack against the Kopitar line, but I don't blame Maurice for what he did in such a close game, in which they were largely dominating. The goal is to win, they did.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I'm more concerned about our second unit. They don't seem to have a plan and really don't generate anything. Myers is back to taking a long time with his reads at the point.
Gotta get Myers off there...never been a fan of him on the PP for the exact reason you listed. Is Jomo seeing any PP time this year?

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
C-S-W completely dominated that match up last night, it's not about being a super defensive line, nice false equivalency. I don't have much faith in E-L-L to do the same, they are nowhere near as good at maintaining possession against competition like that. They could have maybe played a bit more against the Carter line and C-L-T could have picked up a bit of slack against the Kopitar line, but I don't blame Maurice for what he did in such a close game, in which they were largely dominating. The goal is to win, they did.
Right. If the Jets are down a goal for the whole third period the TOI totals would likely look different.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Enjoyed the 1st 2 periods last night, we looked dominant....like last year. The 3 rd was no less then you could expect from a team as good as LA that has Doughty and a goalie playing that well.
Thx PoMo apparently you won in spite of the 8-10 things you did wrong.
Laine Tanev Connor Morrissey Lowry all looking very good.
Schiefele Copp Wheeler Perreault Buff Morrow Helly Chariot Little Trouba as expected
Myers Vesa Roslo Ehlers disappointing.
GJG

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nope.

To answer the Q more fully: if we did that, and it caused LA's other two lines fits, those lines will simply play to not get scored on (trap, etc), and their top two lines will now pick apart lines that aren't as strong as CLT and CSW, IMO.

I'd do exactly as was done last night, and match CSW and CLT, and win the game rather than take a chance. There will be time in games going forward this year where you can play around with deployment - right now I'm more interested in the playoffs and the SC. Let the opportunity to find new solutions come to you: don't force it and pay for it, as you'll end up chasing the Central.

I'd even hazard a guess that if Campbell wasn't a brick wall and we were up 2-3 goals, that the deployment in the 3rd period would have been more even - it was a tight game, and LA played their lines to win. Sometimes you have to just go with the flow, and match them.

This is an important post. If LA shortens their bench in a 1 goal game PMo is going to line match to shut them down and win the game. The result was a victory and was the goal last night....exhibition season is over.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I don't blame Maurice for what happened last night either. He was playing what he has created. I'm only saying that with the amount of talent and depth that we have, we shouldn't be a one line team. I think the amount of talent that we have should allow us to have two pretty spectacular scoring lines and one really good defensive line, then leaving a pretty good assortment of players for the 4th line.

Since Maurice has the talent that he currently has at his disposal, then he should create a lineup that he does feel comfortable running all night. If that isn't possible, then perhaps we need to consider trades for what we need.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Laine needs a different line combination. ELL has proven to not work and we are just banging our heads against the wall. He also needs more minutes, he is an elite goalscorer, and he is not bad defensively. He is someone that the coach needs to make an effort to get going.

That said, he was horrible last night and he has his deficiencies. He is brutal on board battles and loose pucks, not good on the cycle, lacks speed and especially quickness. He is far from a complete player.

His first two games this year, he looked awesome. Last night not so much.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

Good to know going 0+0 at 5v5 = complete domination :laugh:

If possession is so important I'll expect CLT to put up better numbers than ELL by the end of the season. Hyperbole I know, but reading some of these justifications for ATOI you think there is only one way to play hockey.

I keep hearing they need to change their style of play to be more like x player. They've put up back to back 60+ point seasons with super low ATOI. But lets take two young players and then completely change what got them into the league in the first place :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad