Post-Game Talk: Farmboy Strikes Again! Jets Win 2-1

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
How can any serious hockey fan have watched that last game and not agree that CLT had a monster of a game and did not deserve every second of the ice time they got?

I understand having favs but some of you seriously sound like *that* hockey dad.
Wheeler to C does not make this team better...……….the end.
Agreed. I'd rather consider moving Perreault back to the middle or have Copp run his own line before that.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Again with the words in my mouth, who said anything about completely changing their styles? Having said that, I see no problem with either of them, especially Laine, learning different ways to be effective, in fact I've already seen him do some things differently so far that are working for him.

Possession is great if it keeps the other team from having the puck, scoring isn't always going to happen but they keep playing that way they'll end up on the right side of things in the long run, which is the point. I can't believe someone would look at their performance last night and come to your conclusion.

I don't think ELL would have had the same success against the Kopitar line as you, which is why they didn't see the ice as much. I also believe they need to play more, but last night it wasn't against those guys. I'm also confident it will happen, it's been 3 games and Maurice has stated that Laine should be prepared to play more, so I'll wait a bit longer to check if the sky is falling.

I never put any words in your mouth... Never said you specifically said that, I wrote that I keep hearing it, which is true. Once a day someone writes they need to be better at board battles, on the wall, defensively ect. like x, y, z player. Now, I agree that they have plenty of room to grow those areas of their game but I think their other contributions far outweigh the things they need to get better at.

I 100% agree that a lot of possession is a good thing that leads to success in the long run. The possession comment was more so because of your domination statement which I thought was pretty funny considering their "domination" didn't lead to anything.

Never said they should play against Kopitar but I see no issues in them matching up against Carter.. My concern is more so that if PoMo can't find them minutes at home while controlling matchups that doesn't give me much faith in future games. I know one game is not a good sample size and I have zero issues with it happening once a while but this has been a trend for a season+. I certainly don't think the sky is falling. Jets are a contender regardless of how poorly PoMo deploys his assets imo. But I strongly believe that it will hurt the Jets down the line and so it frustrates me that PoMo seems so shortsighted.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Wheeler to C does not make this team better...……….the end.

I don't think you can say something like this without it being substantiated ?? We have a 2nd line that Maurice does not trust to play against other team's 2 nd lines, because of their shortcomings-mostly defensively. Their also young and inexperienced.

Wheeler did a great job at center for 5-6 weeks last year when Scheiffle was injured. Right now we have a " very limited" second line, and something can be done to improve it. Trying Wheeler or Roslovic would be where I would start. Wheeler would be my 1st choice because he's played center, has speed and could make opportunities for Laine and Ehlers.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Only solution is swapping the top 2 Cs. No way PoMo underutilizes his 2nd line if Wheeler's playing on it. If Blake can't get Little's game going again then he'd be better suited grooming Roslovic in that role than L&E would.

Reactions: Jack722

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
My concern is more so that if PoMo can't find them minutes at home while controlling matchups that doesn't give me much faith in future games.

You can control matchups, but you can't control how the other coach will deploy those lines. The LA bench got very short, so you're left with determining who you're going to deploy against Kopi and Carter. The other lines? Sorry - have a game to win. Experiment when it's not 2-1.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I never put any words in your mouth... Never said you specifically said that, I wrote that I keep hearing it, which is true. Once a day someone writes they need to be better at board battles, on the wall, defensively ect. like x, y, z player. Now, I agree that they have plenty of room to grow those areas of their game but I think their other contributions far outweigh the things they need to get better at.

I 100% agree that a lot of possession is a good thing that leads to success in the long run. The possession comment was more so because of your domination statement which I thought was pretty funny considering their "domination" didn't lead to anything.

Never said they should play against Kopitar but I see no issues in them matching up against Carter.. My concern is more so that if PoMo can't find them minutes at home while controlling matchups that doesn't give me much faith in future games. I know one game is not a good sample size and I have zero issues with it happening once a while but this has been a trend for a season+. I certainly don't think the sky is falling. Jets are a contender regardless of how poorly PoMo deploys his assets imo. But I strongly believe that it will hurt the Jets down the line and so it frustrates me that PoMo seems so shortsighted.

Jets are paying Ehlers 6 million for the next 7 years, do you think they are doing so just so they can play him 11 mins a night? Seems like these takes are reactionary based on a teeny tiny sample.

Reactions: Huffer and GNP

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
You are pushing things to the extreme.
"one way to play hockey."
"Completely change what got them into the league."

Who are you arguing with?

Oh. In general: Just because a line doesn't score 5 on 5 doesn't mean they couldn't have "dominated."

That's fair.. Completely is hyperbole for sure.
With how some people are taking about possession it comes off as that being the only way to play the game...

I guess I'm arguing with myself. Nothing new in that

I'd think in a game were the objective is to put the puck in the net, that domination at least includes doing that once... Would you really claim someone dominated if the end result was 0-0?

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
You can control matchups, but you can't control how the other coach will deploy those lines. The LA bench got very short, so you're left with determining who you're going to deploy against Kopi and Carter. The other lines? Sorry - have a game to win. Experiment when it's not 2-1.

50 seconds left in the 2nd period. Offensive zone faceoff with Kempe's line out for LA and PoMo opts to play CLT over a rested 2nd line. No better opportunity to get them some more time.

Last edited:

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

Agree 100% with the matchup control. I'd have liked to see ELL matched up against Carters line. I don't think that would be detrimental to getting a win but maybe I just have more faith in young players than others..

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'd think in a game were the objective is to put the puck in the net, that domination at least includes doing that once... Would you really claim someone dominated if the end result was 0-0?

If it meant that the other lines had easier match-ups and were able to score, yes. You also have to consider the fact that Campbell was a brick wall - I wouldn't have been surprised to see the 1st line with 2 goals 5v5 based on their play around the opposing net last night.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Holy f*** guys and girls

Back in the dark ages 2 years ago when we had terrible goaltending The Post Game Talk threads use to suck after losses and we use to plan the parade after wins and there was a predictable rhythm to our little bipolar express!!

Now that we finished 2nd in the NHL I really can't tell if we won or lost in the PGT's because this place has become so f***ing negative and miserable and there is zero joy.

I am temped to rent a big bus, invite everyone who is not a mod that posts here to join me then I am going to drive it off a cliff so we can start fresh with new dumber but happier Jets fans.

Ok was the last sentence too much?

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Jets are paying Ehlers 6 million for the next 7 years, do you think they are doing so just so they can play him 11 mins a night? Seems like these takes are reactionary based on a teeny tiny sample.

Financially that would be a dumb decision but it's up to PoMo and not Chevy I'd think. I'm sure he will have plenty of nights with 15+ minutes this season but that's not really the point I'm making. Lowering toi has been a general trend not just this season and I think it's is a bad approach if you want those players to be a part of the future core.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Holy **** guys and girls

Back in the dark ages 2 years ago when we had terrible goaltending The Post Game Talk threads use to suck after losses and we use to plan the parade after wins and there was a predictable rhythm to our little bipolar express!!

Now that we finished 2nd in the NHL I really can't tell if we won or lost in the PGT's because this place has become so ****ing negative and miserable and there is zero joy.

I am temped to rent a big bus, invite everyone who is not mod that posts here to join me then I am going to drive it off a cliff so we can start again with new dumber but happier Jets fans.

I think this is actually the biggest overreaction post of the year so far.

Reactions: Board Bard

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have tons of joy, @ps241. I watch the game, drink, and celebrate every last ****ing minute of these wins.

Then I post here the next day to rev myself up for the next game. :D

Yes you are a rose in the thorn patch GIN and I only wish you would post more.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Financially that would be a dumb decision but it's up to PoMo and not Chevy I'd think. I'm sure he will have plenty of nights with 15+ minutes this season but that's not really the point I'm making. Lowering toi has been a general trend not just this season and I think it's is a bad approach if you want those players to be a part of the future core.

Last season he played basically the same TOI/Game as Nylander and Marner did on the Leafs. No reason to think it will be any different this season. Chevy has a vested interest in the team. No way does he not have a talk with Maurice if a 6 million dollar player is playing 11 mins a night.

Reactions: Ducky10 and GNP

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
There will always be complaining. Doesn't mean people aren't happy or the team isn't good. No one can argue with the results and the Jets f**king rock!

But as dedicated fans that spend a lot of time following the team there will always be things we disagree with. If a hockey message board isn't the place to vent those frustrations than I'm not really sure why it exists in the first place...

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Yes you are a rose in the thorn patch GIN and I only wish you would post more.

I've been too busy, alas. Business is getting a bit crazy (as I know you're familiar with), so there's just not enough time. The rest of my time is spent dealing with admin'y things on HF.

Things aren't so bad around here - lots of angst about certain things, but I think it's all well-intentioned. People want a winner, and we're all (including myself) either frustrated and failed NHL players or coaches and use this as an outlet. ;)

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I've been too busy, alas. Business is getting a bit crazy (as I know you're familiar with), so there's just not enough time. The rest of my time is spent dealing with admin'y things on HF.

Things aren't so bad around here - lots of angst about certain things, but I think it's all well-intentioned. People want a winner, and we're all (including myself) either frustrated and failed NHL players or coaches and use this as an outlet. ;)

Yea my day job has actually become a real job lately so I have been allot busier as well.

I think one of the byproducts of success with the Jets is the bar has now been set way higher. I get that with 114 points, a final 4 appearance, and allot more talent comes heightened expectations and we have always had posters that had their pet players they have been all in on but I guess I was just hoping winning would be a bit more joyful. Either way I will dust myself off and get back in the fight.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Holy **** guys and girls

Now that we finished 2nd in the NHL I really can't tell if we won or lost in the PGT's because this place has become so ****ing negative and miserable and there is zero joy.

I am temped to rent a big bus, invite everyone who is not a mod that posts here to join me then I am going to drive it off a cliff so we can start fresh with new dumber but happier Jets fans.

Hey PS241 - I can see by your post, your getting aggravated with all the negativity, and as you say you can't tell if we won or lost by reading the PGT. Maybe it is time to rent that big bus, and repopulate the Forum with some dumber but happier posters. Not to bad of an idea.

Really and truly, I don't see it that way, I see it more as a hobby for some posters, that would like interesting topics on how to improve the Jet's team. Sometimes you have to be negative.

Generally though--I think deep down the people of Winnipeg and Jet's fans know we have a very talented club, and are proud of the way they represent our city. It's just that you wouldn't know that sometimes by reading these forums. I only take them with a grain of salt, so they don't bother me - if anything they amuse me.:)

I do see where your coming from though, as your one of the wisest and most knowledgeable posters on here, with usually only "positive" things to say.

Reactions: ps241

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Last season he played basically the same TOI/Game as Nylander and Marner did on the Leafs. No reason to think it will be any different this season. Chevy has a vested interest in the team. No way does he not have a talk with Maurice if a 6 million dollar player is playing 11 mins a night.

I think it's more a case of the progression for me... I'd assume (could be wrong) that young players are gradually handed larger roles and more responsibility as they've been in the league longer and longer. In this case, Ehlers role and responsibilities have gotten less. That would be perfectly fine if he is playing worse, which I'm sure some people think and that's fair, but by all metrics he is preforming better year to year.

We Danes have a strong fairness gene (hence the high taxes and wide social benefits) and mine is going off like crazy.. So regardless of me being right or wrong I don't think it's a stretch to think Ehlers would have similar feelings. Likely I'm just an emotional fan that's overreacting and I would certainly write me off if I was the only one bringing up these concerns..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad