Post-Game Talk: Farmboy Strikes Again! Jets Win 2-1

Whileee

May 29, 2010
LA ran their top two lines hard last night. I don't think Vesalainen or the likes (as good a rookie as he is) would have fared too well matching up with Kopitar, et al.
Agree. LA is very much a top-6, bottom-6 team. They are going to try to have success by playing their top-6 a ton and hope that they can beat your best, or get some shifts against lesser competition and make them pay. The Jets dominated them but they were behind or tied for a good portion of the game, and only had a 1-goal lead. I would think that if the Jets ever got a two-goal lead, they would have opened up the bench a bit. But Maurice wants to bank all the wins he can at home and early in the season.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It's the same scheme that worked last year, which was quite a departure from the previous year. Teams seem to have scouted and adjusted, so I'd agree that it needs some different looks.

Personally, I think they're too static at the moment - need to move around a bit more at the blueline, methinks.

Agreed. They need to start flipping Laine and Scheif like they did last year imo. Guys are going to key on Laine regardless so it will open up different lanes. Set up, send Laine to the slot and Scheif top of the circle and watch them scramble.

Reactions: Ducky10

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Thought the game was a very typical Jets game of last year. We gave them almost nothing for the first 2 periods and controlled the game. Could have had a few more goals to make it an easier win but a win is a win. Like to see that effort in every game.

I agree that the other 2 lines need some more ice time. Not sure why you would waste Vesa with less then 5 minutes of ice time. If that is case send him down to play a lot and put Dano or Lemieux in.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It's the same scheme that worked last year, which was quite a departure from the previous year. Teams seem to have scouted and adjusted, so I'd agree that it needs some different looks.

Personally, I think they're too static at the moment - need to move around a bit more at the blueline, methinks.
There were times last year where Scheifele and Laine would move around more and often switch spots. I haven't seen them do that once yet this year. Agreed it's too static.

Having said that, Laine had a couple of good looks last night, I don't think he got the puck off like he wanted to and Scheifele had a couple of good chances in the bumper spot, Campbell played well.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
LA ran their top two lines hard last night. I don't think Vesalainen or the likes (as good a rookie as he is) would have fared too well matching up with Kopitar, et al.
So Jets is not a 4 line team after all.

More of a 2 line team (1 offense and 1 defense)
1.5 set of defense

And a heck of a goalie in net.

Its just weird as the other lines have more to give. But its hard to give if you dont have ice time.

The only logical reasoning i can think of is.

He will ride with, (by his choice), his top 3 forward and top 3 dman and just live and die with them.

Which i can agree with because he wants to win. But it doesnt mean its the only way.

As long as the Jets win im happy.

Reactions: GNP

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Nashville is up next.

They will be like Dallas , they have something to prove to the Jets.

A+ game is needed here.

For all the players.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
There were times last year where Scheifele and Laine would move around more and often switch spots. I haven't seen them do that once yet this year. Agreed it's too static.

Having said that, Laine had a couple of good looks last night, I don't think he got the puck off like he wanted to and Scheifele had a couple of good chances in the bumper spot, Campbell played well.

I don't think it was that Laine didn't get the puck off (or maybe that was part of it), but the goalie was already in position by the time he shot the puck, Campbell wasn't even still in motion, he was actually planted facing Laine and ready. The passing is either too predictable or too slow, or both. I think we saw this at the end of last year as well.

It's still early in the year, there is still time to adjust to what will work better. It's kind of like last year when we were trying some new things (i.e Connor and Roslovic) but we were still winning. Just keep winning, but continue to try to improve and stay ahead of the competition catching on to us.

Reactions: FFHockey

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
So Jets is not a 4 line team after all.

They certainly can be, but Vesalainen - Roslo - Ehlers would get eaten alive by the Kopi line (or heck, even the Scheifele line if you matched them up).

There's no way that you're going to end up with 4 "1st" lines, given the current cap restrictions. This is unreasonable. At some point, you have to run strength vs. strength. I WOULD put VRE against our old GST line (or any of the other abominations that we used to run). They'd eat them alive. Sames goes for many, many teams in the league: we have the forward depth to cause many teams fits. This doesn't mean we have 4 lines full of Scheifeles.

Its just weird as the other lines have more to give. But its hard to give if you dont have ice time.

Answer truthfully: how would VRE match up against Kopi's line, if you ran them hard against that line for a full game? Would you shift the balance enough that CSW could outscore the Kopi line, as Kopi picks VRE apart?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would be. They have zero control over his development in Europe. He could end up on a team where he barely plays with the Moose they can guarantee him time.

Then they should never have agreed to that clause.

If he isn't good enough to get a lot of ice time in the KHL, he is not that significant a prospect for us anyway.

He should be able to see the advantages to his development for himself.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I don't think it was that Laine didn't get the puck off (or maybe that was part of it), but the goalie was already in position by the time he shot the puck, Campbell wasn't even still in motion, he was actually planted facing Laine and ready. The passing is either too predictable or too slow, or both. I think we saw this at the end of last year as well.

It's still early in the year, there is still time to adjust to what will work better. It's kind of like last year when we were trying some new things (i.e Connor and Roslovic) but we were still winning. Just keep winning, but continue to try to improve and stay ahead of the competition catching on to us.
I agree the rotation was too slow but I also don't think he caught them the way he can. Laine has a shot that can beat a goalie whether he is set or not.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
They certainly can be, but Vesalainen - Roslo - Ehlers would get eaten alive by the Kopi line (or heck, even the Scheifele line if you matched them up).

There's no way that you're going to end up with 4 "1st" lines, given the current cap restrictions. This is unreasonable. At some point, you have to run strength vs. strength. I WOULD put VRE against our old GST line (or any of the other abominations that we used to run). They'd eat them alive. Sames goes for many, many teams in the league: we have the forward depth to cause many teams fits. This doesn't mean we have 4 lines full of Scheifeles.

Answer truthfully: how would VRE match up against Kopi's line, if you ran them hard against that line for a full game? Would you shift the balance enough that CSW could outscore the Kopi line, as Kopi picks VRE apart?
Nobody saying 4 1st line team?

To answer you truthfully easy?

Since you have advantage of the depth. (Supposedly).

You can break up CSW and CLT
And dont miss a beat.
It doesnt need to be VRE. To match Kopis lines.

There are other 2 lines Vesalainen can pkay against. Jets have the home ice here .

Perrault and Roslovic given the spread can handle kopi with the right mix.

Now answer this truthfully:

If you can run L.A. to the ground with better 4 lines and spread your drivers around.

Instead of 2 line power vs power.

Would you do it?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Would you do it?

Nope.

To answer the Q more fully: if we did that, and it caused LA's other two lines fits, those lines will simply play to not get scored on (trap, etc), and their top two lines will now pick apart lines that aren't as strong as CLT and CSW, IMO.

I'd do exactly as was done last night, and match CSW and CLT, and win the game rather than take a chance. There will be time in games going forward this year where you can play around with deployment - right now I'm more interested in the playoffs and the SC. Let the opportunity to find new solutions come to you: don't force it and pay for it, as you'll end up chasing the Central.

I'd even hazard a guess that if Campbell wasn't a brick wall and we were up 2-3 goals, that the deployment in the 3rd period would have been more even - it was a tight game, and LA played their lines to win. Sometimes you have to just go with the flow, and match them.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
These are the Jets that we've been waiting to see.

Or, at least, 3/4 of the Jets I'd been waiting to see.

Caught up with this on replay -- thought the Jets' speed and positioning through most of the game was spot-on, and watched Chia make some nice reads and cut-offs, JMo reminds me of that one kid you couldn't get past, no matter how slick your moves, because he was always a few steps ahead of you, like he's seen video of the game before it happened -- that's Morrissey. They need to break the bank for him. Connor also. And Copp has such great anticipation -- very impressive last night again.

Laine still gives up up on plays too easily -- not out of lack of effort always, but because his angles are off in the D-zone, so he's overstating and can't recover, but looked much stronger on the line during PP.

As others have noticed, three games into the season and PoMo is already Vegas-ing CSW. No way should any of those three be on PK duties, esp with Roslo, Copp etc in the lineup. Maybe he's having a tough time dealing with the loss of Armia.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
OT:

Hey guys and ladies.

Dont take me seriously , i like how all the people argue and comment to each other here.

It keeps me on my toes.
Helps me a bit with work as i deal with a lot of people on the daily basis. Keeps me sharp when arguments arise. :)

Maybe i can put in my future resume.
HF details... lol

Go Jets Go

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
We generally played well and dominated the first two periods. Helle was solid, full marks for the win.

Laine looked awful imo. He really needs to start winning some board battles. The difference between ELL and CSW in the offensive zone is night and day. I don't think I've seen ELL dominate a shift in the offensive zone where the other team can't get the puck until a whistle. Laine turns it over at an alarming rate.

Reactions: GNP

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
We generally played well and dominated the first two periods. Helle was solid, full marks for the win.

Laine looked awful imo. He really needs to start winning some board battles. The difference between ELL and CSW in the offensive zone is night and day. I don't think I've seen ELL dominate a shift in the offensive zone where the other team can't get the puck until a whistle. Laine turns it over at an alarming rate.

That’s all Little’s fault!:sarcasm:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
So Laine's line should have played more against Kopitar's and Carter's last night? In a one goal game? I don't think that would have worked out the way some people think it might have. Those aren't the matchups Maurice wants that line to have, especially at home. He got them on the ice against who he wanted, they just didn't produce.

The TOI for CLT isn't always going to look like that. That's the matchup Maurice chose, it worked.

But Maurice is in charge of the line combos as well. He could juggle the pieces around until he has 3 lines he can trust and at least two of which would also be capable of being very productive offensively.

Reactions: Jack722

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Then they should never have agreed to that clause.

If he isn't good enough to get a lot of ice time in the KHL, he is not that significant a prospect for us anyway.

He should be able to see the advantages to his development for himself.

Money is a powerful thing. We don't know much about his background or personal life. He may very well be waiting for his first payday and that might be a major motivating factor here. Who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad