Speculation: Fantasy GM Thread | Post-The Purge Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Hoglander being on an ELC and then with years more RFA years ahead along with his floor of top nine and possible top six potential makes me not want to move him, we're going to need him to hit along with trading either a Boeser or a Miller to make the cap work in the years to come. I'd try to solve the 3C situation elsewhere.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site

The best part of this is that when any media from back east reports on the Canucks it forces our local media to either try and refute it (usually Dhaliwal) or dig deeper.

I mean this seems pretty obvious… you listen to offers on pretty much every player. Feel like it’s inevitable he will be traded. Cannot imagine he wants to sign here long term or for a fair deal. Not if, but when?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I mean this seems pretty obvious… you listen to offers on pretty much every player. Feel like it’s inevitable he will be traded. Cannot imagine he wants to sign here long term or for a fair deal. Not if, but when?

Rutherford himself stated that "we'll know by the draft". I like the general ambiguity in that statement, though. I figure it doesn't make much sense to go beyond the draft unless there are multiple deals that are close and they need more time.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I’d do it. We’d need to unload Dickinson but this is a Hog trade I’d probably approve of

I don't hate that idea.

I also have a sense that the current management really soured on Hoglander. I would not be shocked if he is packaged away in something this off-season.

I'd try to solve the 3C situation elsewhere.
Vegas HAS to move more than one player they cannot sign.

Their cap situation makes Ferland and Poolman assets, three times as valuable as straight across deal.
Teams in the past have given up first round picks to get LTIR players or get under the cap.
Hague AND Roy could be traded for with a player on an entry level or minimum salary.
For Vegas this deal would clear cap space to re-sign some of the other 5 players they need to deal with.
Vegas would likely want the Nucks to take Whitecloud or Carrier

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Vegas HAS to move more than one player they cannot sign.

Their cap situation makes Ferland and Poolman assets, three times as valuable as straight across deal.
Teams in the past have given up first round picks to get LTIR players or get under the cap.
Hague AND Roy could be traded for with a player on an entry level or minimum salary.
For Vegas this deal would clear cap space to re-sign some of the other 5 players they need to deal with.
Vegas would likely want the Nucks to take Whitecloud or Carrier
I don’t think taking more LTIR is an option with Weber taking up a huge chunk already. I could be wrong though…

Reactions: theguardianII

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I have a hard time believing that Dickinson is as bad as he showed last season. I'd be tempted to give him a chance to rehab his game with Highmore and Lammikko instead of buying him out or giving up an asset to get rid of him. If we're not trying to compete then why are we sacraficing the future to get free of this player?

Reactions: Canucker

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I have a hard time believing that Dickinson is as bad as he showed last season. I'd be tempted to give him a chance to rehab his game with Highmore and Lammikko instead of buying him out or giving up an asset to get rid of him. If we're not trying to compete then why are we sacraficing the future to get free of this player?
he just isn't what he was sold to be.

he is a defensive winger that can spot duty at centre. His faceoffs are atrocious. We were being told he was an elite 3rd liner and centre even though he mostly played wing in Dallas.

Don't give up anything to get rid of him. his buyout is roughly 950k for 4 years. Probably just give him another year and if it doesn't work out then buy him out next season.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

It's either that or you effectively pay to get rid of the contract ... either through sweetening the pot, or a similarly bad piece of salary coming back in the other direction. No one is doing you a favour and just unilaterally taking that contract off the books.

I also lean toward just keeping him and seeing if he turns it around.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018

he is a defensive winger that can spot duty at centre. His faceoffs are atrocious. We were being told he was an elite 3rd liner and centre even though he mostly played wing in Dallas.

Don't give up anything to get rid of him. his buyout is roughly 950k for 4 years. Probably just give him another year and if it doesn't work out then buy him out next season.
Yeah, I'm not expecting him to turn into the player Benning thought he was when he signed him.

If he can turn his game around and be better than other replacement level players we currently have then I'd prefer to take our medicine now and let him play out his contract. And if he can find a groove then maybe it's easier to ship him out down the road without paying too much.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

-has been listening on Miller since February
-two sides are far apart
-a few weeks ago the Canucks had Nazem Kadri on their list

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Why would Canucks be after Kadri when Miller plays the same role but likely even better?

It doesn't make any sense and I don't believe that's going to happen. It probably stems from an internal discussion about possible targets and his name came up. Teams talk about everyone.

Reactions: geebaan

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It sounds like the Canucks GM's are doing their jobs and exploring every single scenario and option.

It will probably be the same tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after that.

This is better than the "we ran out of time" crap.

Bob Cajun

Mar 3, 2021

If the Canucks end up trading a guy like Pearson, I could see Dickinson maybe being moved up to winger on the 3rd line to possibly (hopefully) rebuild some value. I really hope they don't move any assets to get rid of him, just bite the bullet and play him. There are bigger problems on this roster than Dickinson.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
It doesn't make any sense and I don't believe that's going to happen. It probably stems from an internal discussion about possible targets and his name came up. Teams talk about everyone.

Maybe they think Kadri will fill a similar role as Miller but at a lower price tag or more palletable term? It's possible there's more reluctance from GMs to give Kadri a Miller contract becuse of Kadri's baggage and the fact he was playing on a super stacked team, versus Miller who was carrying his team. I hope they don't do this!

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
TBF? Because Jim Benning made bad signings Vegas gets a pass? Grow up lol. Signing Reilly for that $ is a huge mistake

Lol I am not saying they get a pass. I am just saying they are in too deep to take a step back, even on their worse second line winger.

Am I crazy to not be really interested in trading a player with top 6 potential for a 3rd line center?

Nope. I don’t see this need to plug in holes that ruin our future to do so yet either but a lot of people don’t want to take the step back we need to clean up. Not sure why. Lol

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It is nice to see the Miller situation en route to reach its inevitable conclusion. I remain confident they'll get good value for him.

Reactions: m9

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Rutherford himself stated that "we'll know by the draft". I like the general ambiguity in that statement, though. I figure it doesn't make much sense to go beyond the draft unless there are multiple deals that are close and they need more time.
He also said that signing Miller was their first priority.

• Haha
Reactions: geebaan

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
The only way it could make sense is if they are not taking a step back before taking a step forward, is the team better with Miller re-signed or signing Kadri + assets received in miller return.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I mean, yeah. Obviously they would want to sign him to a deal. He also said, and this is the part you're leaving out, they want to sign him to a deal that makes sense for the team and if they can't come to an agreement then some unpopular decisions will be made.
We are all aware of that...

I'm just saying that the main focus of the management right now, is to sign him...not trade him.

I'm 50/50 on this ..I hope he signs a team friendly deal, if not..we turn the page.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
We are all aware of that...

I'm just saying that the main focus of the management right now, is to sign him...not trade him.

I'm 50/50 on this ..I hope he signs a team friendly deal, if not..we turn the page.

You're way too binary on this. The team can be listening to, or even soliciting, offers on him while simultaneously working on an extension.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don’t think Miller is a better center than Kadri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany