Capitals:
Hendrix lapierre
Vincent Lorio
2023 1st (WSH)
2022 2nd (WPG)

Canucks:
Miller 50% retained.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I'd take that deal. The Winnipeg 2nd is the 46th overall, FYI. Also, it's Iorio and not Lorio.

That's certainly a futures deal and I don't think that's the type of deal management is after. Would be enticing as hell.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I remember you being pretty high on him around the trade deadline, has something changed or was I just reading that wrong?

He’s a good C prospect relative to what teams like Toronto and Pittsburgh have to offer but I wouldn’t be totally comfortable with him as a centrepiece. Also his concussion history is concerning.

I kind of get Marc-Antoine Pouliot vibes in that I’m not sure what pops in his game that will allow him to produce at a high level in the NHL.

Reactions: Vector

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Not really a fan of that deal, it would be more enticing if it were McMichael being the key component…but even then I’d prefer a deal elsewhere. Not as high on Iorio and Washington’s draft picks don’t really entice...especially if we’re retaining 50% on Miller.

Reactions: AppleHoneySauce

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Hendrix' concussion issues are overblown and were misdiagnosed neck injury that's now healed. He's extremely good and im not sure the difference between him and McMichael is too vast.
Butyeah again the quality is lacking even considering that, especially at 50% really need an upper tier prospect.

Reactions: AppleHoneySauce

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Expecting some “come trade for one of our players” rumours tomorrow.

This Josh Anderson one is weird.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Thank you for the feedback. I go that proposal from a set of trades that had some other picks and mcmicheal going other places.
Making it standalone and with feedback what about:

Caps
McMicheal
Lapierre/Protas
Iorio
2023 1st (WSH) or 2022 1st (WSH) + 2022 2nd (WPG)

Canucks
Miller 50% retained

Idea with the Edit is to introduce a Roster player (McMicheal) as the center piece. Lapierre, Iorio, and Protas are Interchangeble.

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
let the real fun begins! purge at least 25 percent of the roster. recoup those draft picks. find some gems in the later rounds. look at tbay for example. and another franchise Defenseman!

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

I know some had suggested him as a Canucks target for this off-season.

Reactions: Lindgren

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Thank you for the feedback. I go that proposal from a set of trades that had some other picks and mcmicheal going other places.
Making it standalone and with feedback what about:

Caps
McMicheal
Lapierre/Protas
Iorio
2023 1st (WSH) or 2022 1st (WSH) + 2022 2nd (WPG)

Canucks
Miller 50% retained

Idea with the Edit is to introduce a Roster player (McMicheal) as the center piece. Lapierre, Iorio, and Protas are Interchangeble.

I would probably accept McMicheal and their 2023 1st alone, think there’s a reasonable chance that 1st is a non-playoff pick.

Reactions: vancityluongo

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I would probably accept McMicheal and their 2023 1st alone, think there’s a reasonable chance that 1st is a non-playoff pick.

I would too. Both Washington and Pittsburgh have few real assets to trade, but their picks, especially an unprotected 2023 1st, are enticing. Ovechkin and Crosby are still incredible, but both are slowing down, and neither team has the supporting cast they had even 3 years ago. One of them is going to crack in the next two years. The San Jose - Karlsson analogy is spot on, IMO.

Would be thrilled with either Marino + 2 1sts from Pittsburgh, or McMichael + 2023 1st + 2022 2nd (via WPG) from Washington.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Two late ish 1sts for retained Miller is pathetic, raise the bar.
C'mon people, there are several different areas of any trade apart from just skill or if the player is popular.

The Canucks essentially traded away a first for Miller, at good deal for that time
BUT
That pick is just about ready to contribute in a big or not way for the 8 years of cap control
In that light Miller ended up being a 3 year rental player.

He is good but too long in the tooth for what is coming and bad for the cap.

He will not get two 1rst's, hopefully he gets one, next year's and a AAA prospect. With a little maneuvering maybe and additional pick or prospect.

Boeser will only get a couple of 2nds I think or a conditional trade, sort of like if he signs then the picks improve.

Combinations including Garland, Hoglander, Horvat, picks, a prospect and cap retention could inflate any returns.

IMO if the Canucks can achieve having 15 million in cap space for next year they are in a great spot to take on a bad contract for a high pick or two, load up on 2024 picks and ?
Total freedom and ability to weaponize the cap for the last two years of the cap being static

Probably just due diligence or someone to circle back on once more pressing matters have been sorted. If another team jumps on acquiring Bear, it's not like they've missed much of an opportunity.

Bear's camp reached out, every defenceman wanting a raise will look at the Canucks lack of depth at defence. Bear is not much of catch

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Probably just due diligence or someone to circle back on once more pressing matters have been sorted. If another team jumps on acquiring Bear, it's not like they've missed much of an opportunity.

Schenn, Dermott, Burroughs, Poolman, Keeper under NHL contracts next season.

You have to be certain he’s a top four guy. I would have made this bet two years ago. Now, I wouldn’t.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bear has always kind of reminded me a bit of Brent Sopel. Is he an offensive guy? Is he a defensive guy? Not tall but stocky and broad-shouldered. Not a great skater. Big heart and pushes the play well but mistake prone.

The problem right now is that we have like 58 different depth defenders under contract and you can only have so many projects and there are only so many roster spots. If you sign a Bear, it becomes a lot harder to give a Dermott - who you just paid a pretty high draft pick for - the reps he needs to develop and establish himself.

Reactions: Vector

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Bear has always kind of reminded me a bit of Brent Sopel. Is he an offensive guy? Is he a defensive guy? Not tall but stocky and broad-shouldered. Not a great skater. Big heart and pushes the play well but mistake prone.

The problem right now is that we have like 58 different depth defenders under contract and you can only have so many projects and there are only so many roster spots. If you sign a Bear, it becomes a lot harder to give a Dermott - who you just paid a pretty high draft pick for - the reps he needs to develop and establish himself.

He would need to be traded for, so maybe the Canes would want some of our signed depth back instead. If Poolman wasn't hurt he would be an obvious candidate as Carolina would get Term vs more upside. So I could see something if they think they can get something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad