Speculation: Fantasy GM Thread | Post-The Purge Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Cajun

Mar 3, 2021
So with the rumor of Vegas and Reilly Smith agreeing to a new deal (3 x 5mill), how exactly are the Knights going to solve their cap issues? As it stands now after the Reilly signing, they have effectively already burned up all of the LTIR from acquiring Weber's contract. So now what?

Would love to see us send them Ferland's contract for say Nolan Patrick (1.2 mill) and the rights to Roy/Hague/Howden? Will be an interesting case to see how they manage their cap the rest of this offseason

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So with the rumor of Vegas and Reilly Smith agreeing to a new deal (3 x 5mill), how exactly are the Knights going to solve their cap issues? As it stands now after the Reilly signing, they have effectively already burned up all of the LTIR from acquiring Weber's contract. So now what?

Would love to see us send them Ferland's contract for say Nolan Patrick (1.2 mill) and the rights to Roy/Hague/Howden? Will be an interesting case to see how they manage their cap the rest of this offseason
how does that help their cap right now though? They will want to move another contract out to clear room to sign smith. so wouldn't that be William Karlsson or someone like that? Would we want that? Ferland's contract for Karlsson?

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Wow.

The proposal:

View attachment 561358

A voice of reason: View attachment 561359

And doubling down on a terrible proposal:

View attachment 561360
The trouble with the internet is that you have no idea who you're talking to. It could be a literal 13 year old, someone who you'd never give the time of day in the real world, but gets to throw his opinions out there with the same legitimacy as some one who actually knows what they're talking about.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Vegas has a few players I'd be very interested in but they are all players they would want to keep (Coghlan and Whitecloud). Maybe could pry Kolesar or Roy out of them since both are RFAs.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

That deal makes no sense for Vegas and barely even does anything to help their cap situation.

I think they get Roy done and slide him up to 3C. That pushes Karlsson either to the wing or out via trade. I think either Karlsson or Pacioretty get moved. Maybe Martinez from the blueline.

They will assuredly move a goalie as well, likely Brossoit.

Last edited:

Bob Cajun

Mar 3, 2021
That deal makes no sense for Vegas and barely even does anything to help their cap situation.

I think they get Roy done and slide him up to 3C. That pushes Karlsson either to the wing or out via trade. I think either Karlsson or Pacioretty get moved. Maybe Martinez from the blueline.

They will assuredly move a goalie as well, likely Brossoit.
Can they not use their LTIR in the offseason if the player was on LTIR when the prior season ended? Allowing them to enter the season exceeding the cap by their LTIR?

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Aqulinis are not the worst owners in North American pro sports. They aren't the cheapest either. But they are swimming in a small pond with a lot of cash. They have a lot of incentive and motivation to make the Canucks the envy of the league and have continuously refused to do that for a sustained period of time
What else could they do?
It’s a shame because I’d trade someone like Myers to get Miller signed at 4-5 year term at more $$.
Welcome Eriksson 2.0
Rutherford ( former NHL goalie) has labeled Demko a ‘franchise’ goaltender..That terminology puts him on the untouchable list…
As noted by other posters it also set the trade market for him
There should be no such thing as an "untouchable list".
There should not be but there should be very few players that are almost untouchable or will be dealt for a bushel basket of prospects/picks
Or he's establishing the high price to acquire him.
Ditto
This trade plugs one leak, and springs another...

Trading for a player who has had a serious concussion is risky indeed (they're more prone to getting concussed in the future)...and the their top goalie prospect is magic beans at this point...and you're willing to give up a 26 year old franchise goalie, and a 100 point forward for two uncertainties..?

Would be foolish..IMO.
There is no doubt is would be a risk but Schnides was dealt, at the time he was OUR next one, that didn't turn out so bad, Horvat, then Markstrom

It is getting pretty clear that Winnipeg is having some issues with player wanting to stay.

With the possibility of Dubois maybe being a item, trading players with term might be worthy of a thought.

Garland, Dickenson and rights to Boeser?

Would certainly help both teams, more so the Canucks unless they can give Boeser what is needed. Boeser would be much closer to home

Winnipeg gets a reputed goal scorer, Boeser, Garland, size and checking with Dickenson with term.

Vancouver gets Dubios, a large top 2 center under 25 yrs old, a replacement for either Horvat or Miller, cap relief

Winnipeg gets one more kick at the cat with their existing core and add a younger reputed sniper. They still need another dman but they would have the space, well maybe the Canucks would have to do some retention.

I do think that Dubois could be a viable target though.

Demko has played one single full season, there are a bunch of goalies that were fantastic for a year, some ended up winning a Veznia and then faded away. People remember Billington? Holtby? Murray? All were franchise goalies even the highest paid goalie, Bobrovsky had a shelf life.
IMO, Clarke is the goalie "whisperer", every goalie of stature play outstanding here just like next year's back up. Isn't Silvos supposed to be outstanding too?

Under Clarke both Columbus and Vancouver ended up with Vezina calibre goaltenders. Canucks from 2002 to 2010 then Columbus and then back to Vancouver now. Markstrom, Demko, Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Roberto Luongo, Cam Ward, Marc-Andre Fleury, Cory Schneider, Andrew Raycroft, Johan Hedberg and Mathieu Garon.
Maybe Demko isn't so irreplaceable

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The Demko talk is an interesting theoretical exercise but I think Rutherford and Allvin have pretty clearly telegraphed that there’s no chance he’s being traded. I mean you can argue that they are trying to drive up his value but I don’t think that’s correct. They see him as a franchise goalie and are keeping him.

From everything they've said and we've heard there are 3 players management views as the building blocks: Demko, Hughes, and Pettersson. It sounds like they want Horvat to be in this group but that will depend on how his extension negotiations go this summer.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The Demko talk is an interesting theoretical exercise but I think Rutherford and Allvin have pretty clearly telegraphed that there’s no chance he’s being traded. I mean you can argue that they are trying to drive up his value but I don’t think that’s correct. They see him as a franchise goalie and are keeping him.
Demko is our difference maker. Petey might not be the best number one center and Hughes might not be the best top D, but Demko is going to almost always be the best goalie in any series. That's the one position we will almost always have the advantage. So, if Petey and Hughes can come close to the other teams' best C and D then we have a very good chance to win that series.
Of course there are the support players that need to be as good as what other teams have too.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Can they not use their LTIR in the offseason if the player was on LTIR when the prior season ended? Allowing them to enter the season exceeding the cap by their LTIR?

Vegas just acquired Weber which I believe will limit their ability to grab more LTIR players so they don't go over 10% in the off-season. The LTIR rules are a bit tricky so there may be more to it, but I don't think adding Ferland helps much of anything. It might even make it worse.

The only real "positive" for them would be dumping Patrick's 1.2 million which they could probably dump off on Arizona for a 7th round pick if they really wanted to. The way Patrick is going, he might end up on LTIR himself.

Certainly not nearly enough value for them to give up a piece like Roy or Hague.

Reactions: Vector

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I'd love to get a player like PLD, but for me I'd rather try to either move up from #15 or add a top 10 pick to grab Cutter Gauthier...guy seems like a PLD type player without some of the attitude.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Canucks would be smart to see they could pry Roy from Vegas for Pearson at 50% retention. They will need cheap depth these next few years.

Bob Cajun

Mar 3, 2021
Vegas just acquired Weber which I believe will limit their ability to grab more LTIR players so they don't go over 10% in the off-season. The LTIR rules are a bit tricky so there may be more to it, but I don't think adding Ferland helps much of anything. It might even make it worse.

The only real "positive" for them would be dumping Patrick's 1.2 million which they could probably dump off on Arizona for a 7th round pick if they really wanted to. The way Patrick is going, he might end up on LTIR himself.

Certainly not nearly enough value for them to give up a piece like Roy or Hague.
Yeah, it's likely I'm completely misunderstanding the offseason LTIR and the 10% overage. On a simple level I assumed: The 10% overage puts the offseason cap at 90.75. Vegas is currently at 85 with Weber's LTIR. So by adding Smith at 5, they are effectively maxed out. I thought that they could still add more LTIR, above the 10%, as long as that player was on LTIR at the end of last season (allowing them to exceed the 10% off season overage). Again, I'm likely misinterpreting the off season LTIR rules

Reactions: m9

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Trade Boeser, Hoglander and Garland to Winnipeg for Dubois (maybe include a late pick)
Trade Hughes to NJD for Zacha or Bratt/Boqvist and Graves (maybe include a late pick)
Trade Rathbone, Horvat and this year's 1rst to Buffalo for Dahlin and a 2nd
Trade Miller to Washington for next year's 1rst
Trade Demko to Seattle for a conditional 2023 1rst or 2024 1rst and Fleury/Soucy
Trade Burroughs, Dowling, Ferland and Poolman with retention for Hague and Roy

:D :D :D :D

• Haha
Reactions: dez

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I don't know how you think PLD will provide any cap savings over Horvat.

He made 500k less this year and is RFA. His QO will be 6m. So he can take that for one year and he UFA and sign wherever he wants.

He just had a 28 goal 60 point season. If he does that again, he'll be in the same ball park as horvat as an UFA anyway.

I don't see him wanting out of winnipeg bad enough to sewer his future earnings.
Well no deal then.

But if opportunity knocks… he seems to want out bad enough He can’t wait til the trade deadline.

Also looking a couple years into the future with reuping Horvat.

Plus I want to move on from Horvat and don’t want to wait until the last second to move in a different direction

Reactions: theguardianII

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
That Petry proposal is the worst one I’ve ever seen, and that is saying something on these boards.
I get that they got gorton and got some ridiculous tdl value, but I had to stop reading that board after seeing all of Miller+ for petry or Gallagher, 1sts for drouin/dvorak, and Josh Anderson for a top 8 pick....wow.

As far as I'm concerned at their age/contracts all of Hoffman, Gallagher, petry, armia, Anderson and dvorak aren't worth much of anything.
Maybe someone takes a flyer on drouin with only 1 year left but even he's underwhelming at best.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Retaining the shit out of any players expiring this year or next is the best way to go about things right now.

Good avenue to churning surplus value.

Absolutely.

Would also try to give short-term contracts to high-ish end UFAs that had down years (ie. the Taylor Hall - Buffalo model). Someone like Rakell could be a great Miller replacement for the short-term, might be willing to take a bet-on-myself deal to play next to Petey, and in the worst case, could be a good 50% retention piece to a contender at the deadline. Max Domi is another option.

Reactions: bossram

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Trade Boeser, Hoglander and Garland to Winnipeg for Dubois (maybe include a late pick)
Trade Hughes to NJD for Zacha or Bratt/Boqvist and Graves (maybe include a late pick)
Trade Rathbone, Horvat and this year's 1rst to Buffalo for Dahlin and a 2nd
Trade Miller to Washington for next year's 1rst
Trade Demko to Seattle for a conditional 2023 1rst or 2024 1rst and Fleury/Soucy
Trade Burroughs, Dowling, Ferland and Poolman with retention for Hague and Roy

:D :D :D :D
Even Jim Benning wouldn't do these trades.

Jesus.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
RE: Miller and Canes

Pretty sure I've read that the Canes have made it a habit to basically inquire about the asking price about every decent player when they're made available. Which makes sense since that way you avoid those "how the hell did that guy get traded so cheap, we could've offered more" moments

Even Jim Benning wouldn't do these trades.

Jesus.
Pretty sure he's trolling, but I lol'd at Boqvist and Bratt being interchangeable lol

Reactions: CanuckCity

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Canucks would be smart to see they could pry Roy from Vegas for Pearson at 50% retention. They will need cheap depth these next few years.
Vegas isn't going to want Pearson at any price. Their depth forwards will have to be league minimum types.

If you want Nic Roy, send in an offer sheet at the cusp of the 2nd round pick compensation tier (~$4.1M).

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Vegas isn't going to want Pearson at any price. Their depth forwards will have to be league minimum types.

If you want Nic Roy, send in an offer sheet at the cusp of the 2nd round pick compensation tier (~$4.1M).

Yyuupp. Roy and Kolesar have probably priced themselves out of the team’s future just by being good and RFAs. Even if they trade Karlsson, I’m not sure how they’d be able to retain them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad