Speculation: Fantasy GM Thread | Post-The Purge Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
its not the time to trade boeser. you try to sign him to a 2-3 yr deal thats a bit friendlier, then hope he significantly rebounds after his rough year.
if he does its increased assets, if not its similar to his value now.

miller 100% you trade him, value never been higher.
what if he doesn't rebound? then you are holding a negative asset.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
This phrase "I heard" when talking about players under contract is "click bait".

Virtually every player making a noise could be "I heard" stuff.

Kadri talk is fantasy stuff that goes against everything management has been saying

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
its not the time to trade boeser. you try to sign him to a 2-3 yr deal thats a bit friendlier, then hope he significantly rebounds after his rough year.
if he does its increased assets, if not its similar to his value now.

miller 100% you trade him, value never been higher.

Your reasoning for keeping Boeser is the same reasoning for trading him. As of now it is possible other teams will see him as a guy young enough to bounce back and will pay assets on that basis. In a couple years, maybe not.
Asked and answered.

Right now there is still potential, like Juloevi had for a few years until it was proven he had not enough.

Boeser still has a reputation and accolades from the allstar circus

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Leaking that you could be interested in Kadri is management 101. The more teams rumored to be interested in Kadri (and the higher the bidding goes) the more eager teams will be to deal for a sure thing in Miller. Wouldn't be shocked to see a leak of the Canucks willing to go 8 years on Kadri simply to scare teams into upping their offers on Miller.

Kadri will not be a Canuck next year but there is no reason the Canucks and kadri's agent can't use each other to be beneficial partners.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I am just concentrating on younger RFA's on teams in a big cap crunch.

Vegas, NYI, Tampa, Boston, Minnesota and Florida

Teams in the "win now" window
And
Teams on the cusp of or in much need of making the playoffs.

The cap crunch teams, look at the cap space they have now and the number of signed players, some have millions but only 13 or 14 of 23 players signed

CF lists 112 RFA's 23 and under with a total of 196 - 24 and under

Last edited:

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I find it amusing that we are talking about cap strapped teams… meanwhile we ourselves, don’t have much space either. I mean sure, we move miller that could help but it’s not like we have enough space for something crazy. So wouldn’t get too carried away dreaming, not yet anyway.

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
With any player, any chance you get to talk to their agent or them directly, doesn't mean a deal happens now, might be deal/trade happens in the future. For Kadri, could be down the road for acquiring him rather than signing him right now. Also Kadri's agency is Darren Ferris, who also represents Mikey DiPietro, so could be completely false with that rumour.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
I think a big question everyone needs to ask themselves is that if this team takes a step back the next year or two retooling, how likely is it that EP resigns?

EP strikes me as a guy who would be out the door with two more non playoff years. Which IMO, is likely with a JT Miller trade (If it's futures based).

I've been on the trade Miller team for a while now but the more I think about it, especially with the signing of Kuzmenko, this team might just be better of resigning Miller (as long as he isn't asking for anything completely unreasonable) and going for it the next couple years. The current top 9 is really good (assuming Hoglander and Podz can take the next step in their development and Kuzmenko lives up to the hype).

Find a way to acquire a top 4 RD (maybe use Boeser as a trade piece) and I think this team could do some damage in the playoffs next year.

If it fails, you'd have a ton of valuable pieces to flip and do a complete tear down rebuild.

I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think a big question everyone needs to ask themselves is that if this team takes a step back the next year or two retooling, how likely is it that EP resigns?

EP strikes me as a guy who would be out the door with two more non playoff years. Which IMO, is likely with a JT Miller trade (If it's futures based).

I've been on the trade Miller team for a while now but the more I think about it, especially with the signing of Kuzmenko, this team might just be better of resigning Miller (as long as he isn't asking for anything completely unreasonable) and going for it the next couple years. The current top 9 is really good (assuming Hoglander and Podz can take the next step in their development and Kuzmenko lives up to the hype).

Find a way to acquire a top 4 RD (maybe use Boeser as a trade piece) and I think this team could do some damage in the playoffs next year.

If it fails, you'd have a ton of valuable pieces to flip and do a complete tear down rebuild.

Sure, if perpetual mediocrity is your end goal that could be an approach.

Realistically though, if you want to win a Cup or at least contend for a Cup you need to take a step back and get this thing right. Wasting 8 years under Jim Benning was incredibly damaging. There was a slight window to get this right quicker had they fired Benning a year ago, drafted Guenther at 9, and not taken on over half a decade of one of the worst contracts in the league (while continuing to add more bad contracts).

At this point the best way forward is to trade Miller for the best package of picks and prospects possible. Focus on building a young core, and moving out as much bad money as possible.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Sure, if perpetual mediocrity is your end goal that could be an approach.

Realistically though, if you want to win a Cup or at least contend for a Cup you need to take a step back and get this thing right. Wasting 8 years under Jim Benning was incredibly damaging. There was a slight window to get this right quicker had they fired Benning a year ago, drafted Guenther at 9, and not taken on over half a decade of one of the worst contracts in the league (while continuing to add more bad contracts).

At this point the best way forward is to trade Miller for the best package of picks and prospects possible. Focus on building a young core, and moving out as much bad money as possible.

What do you think is the likelihood of EP resigning if this team misses the playoffs the next two years?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

Meh.

EP still has a lot to prove.

Coupled with the fact him being a C is up in the air after spending much time (and looking better) on the wing, I’m not bothered honestly.

I just want to win a Cup and frankly don’t give two shits as to who is on the team to pull it off.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
It's not just EP. It's Hughes, Demko and pretty much everyone else as well. Giving up JT means giving up on all of them. They won't all be gone at the same time, so the team isn't likely to suck enough to get lotto picks to replace them. It will be a slow bleed.

Doesn't sound like a "proper rebuild, tampa model yo" does it? Just a pipe dream.

????-?????-???? lineup, coached by ????, president ???? = long window contender = profit

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

I get that concern, but that mentality is precisely what got us into a situation where we're worried about EP leaving.

"Can't rebuild, can't take any time, can't take any steps back, rush rush retool on the fly compete immediately" was the previous regime's philosophy and 8 years later we're still not competitive with no cupboards or cap space.

Also EP hasn't shown we can build around him yet. He's a franchise centre when healthy and at his best but his wrist injury has been an issue for a long time now and whether he'll ever fully recover is unknown. If you add flight risk on top of that then it's all the more reason to hit a deeper retool asap.

There's a time crunch to tear it down because the 2023 draft is insanely deep and loaded with centres. A top 10 pick in 2023 may turn out to be like a top 3 pick in other years and you can potentially save yourself years of rebuilding by loading up on 2023 picks.

If we can dump OEL and Myers, and somehow dig up two more top pairing dmen and another top 4 dman, all this summer, then I'm all for trying to compete immediately but it seems like an impossible ask. And any other route is permanent mediocrity.

I don't think Miller wants to re-sign here either and it's all a moot point. We were a shit show the whole time he was here and I doubt he forgot that he had to publicly stand up for his team during the covid crunch when the front office was hiding like cowards.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
I find it amusing that we are talking about cap strapped teams… meanwhile we ourselves, don’t have much space either. I mean sure, we move miller that could help but it’s not like we have enough space for something crazy. So wouldn’t get too carried away dreaming, not yet anyway.

Yup, pretty much just goes into boesers raise this year, hogz, and horvat’s next year, and ep the year after that. Sure some people will expire in that time frame to help but still have to fill a roster.

Now isn’t the time to tweak our 3rd line Center or bottom 6.

Get our makar, byram, landeskog, Mackinnon, Rantanen. Try and fluke out our kadri, Girard, and nischuskin’s later and hope our farm is fixed enough to have newhooks coming in to fill in for injuries

Right now we only have ep, who is nowhere close to Mackinnon. Hughes who is nowhere close to makar. And we have demko which is pretty good but no one else. Miller is sort of comparable to landeskog sort of but we can’t afford him yet and both rantanen and landeskog are much better than him anyways.

So just tank for now and bring in no one but futures.

We have a lot of holes and need a lot of help. Fastest least painless way is a rebuild unfortunately.

Last edited:

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021

If ep pulls a Dubois trade him for a ransom. If done right that ransom will replace him as soon as 2-3 years.

Going all in with a knife to a gun fight just because your best fighter might want out in a few years and can’t wait for the guns to be smuggled over is a ridiculous route to take. Lol

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
What do you think is the likelihood of EP resigning if this team misses the playoffs the next two years?

I think you can talk him into staying. Two years isn’t that long. Look how long drai and mcmuffin stayed with the oilers. Eichel only wanted out of Buffalo because they risked his back health.

You play the team card.

And if he wants out trade him. You can’t build the team based on his whims. That will just ruin him as a person. You owe it to him to show him how to build things properly anyways. Part of your job is to ensure he develops properly into a fine player not develop him into more of a spoiled brat that might go the way, personality wise, of Josh Hosang if he keeps bitching. Screw him if he isn’t a team player this early in his career. In the long run we will be better off if he’s that much of a spoiled brat.

Last edited:

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I think now that it's not a complete moron running the team, and if presented with a clear plan for the team to improve Pettersson would stay and sign long term despite a down year or two.
Totally, just the way the locker room completely checked out with Benning and Green to the resurrection of the fans passion, the responsible front office, the players response

This is a totally different club

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I dont think its a given he would re-sign if the Canucks missed the playoffs the next couple years...After 5 years of no post season he would most likely want to turn the page.

He's very much a fan of the coach as well, who will most likely be retiring at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad