Speculation: Fantasy GM Thread | Post-The Purge Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I would never get to worked up about the potential of a player wanting to leave. If you manage well with a championship in mind have a great city, a intense fan base and players want to prioritize their agendas then see ya later..EP40 included

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Boeser Garland Kuzmenko Hoglander are too easy to knock off pucks. Something has to give.

Like the Blue Jackets 12th pick and Gavrikov in a Miller deal. Maybe Cuelemans if the scouts think he can be a top4 down the road and they balk at that which they probably would.

Maybe they can pry the 6OA and forget the adds and get Mintyukov. I'm biased I think he will be better than Nemec even. Sergachev clone

Like the potential of moving Miller for above signing Forsberg and drafting Kulich Chesley at 12 and 15 or the 6 and Mintyukov. The goal really should be the best piece possible.

Would love to see Mintyukov or Chesley plus Cuelemans added to N.Roy Kuzmenko and Forsberg this off season.

Would take a flyer on Ethan Bear also if he can be had cheap as well as Lazar.

We need to get a Burrows/Foligno/Hartman type. Not really interested in moving off Hoglander yet but I do wonder about a move that gets us someone like Nichushkin Wilson that gets us some length puck winning/turnovers and room for the skilled players. Maybe Crouse or even Texier if they are dealing with the Jackets.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Feel like If Columbus trades for miller they would want a resign in place… so would also mean that Miller is ok signing a long term contract there too. It’s closer to home for him but blue jackets are also not really a top choice for many. Confused on their direction.

Reactions: Vector

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'm going to take a stab at it, and say that if Miller gets traded, its going to be to the Penguins...Marino + comes back.

Following that, Myers would get moved (Marino probably could partner with Hughes or OEL, ..Myers and Hughes are a poor fit)...

If the Canucks dont get a top 4 Man for Miller..Myers stays (according to Seravalli, his value keeps going up..his value in FA is probably 500K-1M less tan what he currently makes)..

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm going to take a stab at it, and say that if Miller gets traded, its going to be to the Penguins...Marino + comes back.

Following that, Myers would get moved (Marino probably could partner with Hughes or OEL, ..Myers and Hughes are a poor fit)...

If the Canucks dont get a top 4 Man for Miller..Myers stays (according to Seravalli, his value keeps going up..his value in FA is probably 500K-1M less tan what he currently makes)..

I just don’t think the Penguins have enough assets. Marino is fine but is coming off some pretty rough years for a guy who’d be the center piece. Their draft picks aren’t enticing and they have nothing good in their prospect pool.

If they weren’t so empty, they’d be an obvious destination.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I just don’t think the Penguins have enough assets. Marino is fine but is coming off some pretty rough years for a guy who’d be the center piece. Their draft picks aren’t enticing and they have nothing good in their prospect pool.

If they weren’t so empty, they’d be an obvious destination.
Thats the thing..a number of these teams (Caps,Leafs,Pens) that have been annual playoff teams have nothing to offer the Canucks ..No young blue chip players, and late 1st round draft picks.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Thats the thing..a number of these teams (Caps,Leafs,Pens) that have been annual playoff teams have nothing to offer the Canucks ..No young blue chip players, and late 1st round draft picks.

As I pointed out earlier in the week, Caps actually have 4 really good pieces; McMichael, Fehervary, Lapierre, and Iorio.

Agreed on the Leafs as other than Knies, they don’t have any real high end trade chips. They do have a lot of good prospects and decent young NHL defencemen. Nothing I really view as enough for Miller but certainly better than the Penguins.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
As I pointed out earlier in the week, Caps actually have 4 really good pieces; McMichael, Fehervary, Lapierre, and Iorio.

Agreed on the Leafs as other than Knies, they don’t have any real high end trade chips. They do have a lot of good prospects and decent young NHL defencemen. Nothing I really view as enough for Miller but certainly better than the Penguins.

Columbus, New Jersey, and NYR are the 3 teams I would want the Canucks to look at. All 3 have draft pick capital and top quality prospects/young players to make a deal worthwhile and impactful.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Columbus, New Jersey, and NYR are the 3 teams I would want the Canucks to look at. All 3 have draft pick capital and top quality prospects/young players to make a deal worthwhile and impactful.

That's who I'm targeting as well. Teams on the verge of breaking out of rebuilding or on the rise that are looking for a piece to put them over the edge. I'd add Colorado to that list as well, but they're fairly established. Might also be interested in Philly because of their current idiot GM that mirrors our former one, maybe not just for a Miller deal.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I'd throw LA in as well...they have an over abundance of high end, young, right side defensemen as well as all their picks, and a good chunk of cap space...you'd have to think they'd want to make the most of Kopitar, Quick and Doughty's last few years. They might not be in on Miller, but perhaps Boeser or Garland.

Reactions: rypper

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Philadelphia and LA, both have already been mentioned, too. There’s a host of teams that could put together some very enticing packages. My concern is if those teams actually do.

Are the Rangers more motivated or less? The rumoured offer from them at the deadline was pretty pathetic.

Do New Jersey and Columbus feel they are one player away? Would Miller sign an extension with those clubs?

Is LA content to stay the course? Would they be hesitant to send a bunch of prime assets to a division rival? Same goes for the Canucks.

Philadelphia has a bunch of good young players on long term contracts but all have somewhat depressed value. Is that actually appealing? Are the Flyers as desperate as we all assume? Do they have other plans?

Then there’s the bigger questions. Is getting a high draft pick in this draft, where no player is seen as a slam dunk, actually good value? Would Miller even entertain signing an extension with a team that just traded for him? Is the expected return that Quadrelli reported (good young player, top prospect, 1st and 2nd round picks) the reality?

I’m about as interested as one can possibly be with how this shakes out because there’s so many questions.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
If Crosby is out for the year, jarry has a bad season, and both Malkin and Rust are gone, I would be all in for their 2023 1st unprotected. Gamble yes, but might end up like the karlsson for stuezle +++. Totally worth it.

Marino, 2023 1st unprotected, 2024 1st unprotected, and 2023 2nd. I would take that.

Then hope it ends up like the Kessel trade.

If we get the two firsts it doesn’t matter which team it is. Sure we most likely won’t be as fluky as Boston, no one is, but if the two 1sts end up half as good as, stuetzle, Seguin and hamilton it’s fair value for Miller. No one thought Sanjose or Toronto was going to do so poorly after their big acquisitions and Miller isn’t even as good as Karlsson or Kessel were at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: vancityluongo

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
If we could get Gavrikov in a Miller deal I would love it. He is so underrated because of where he plays, he is a beast and so good defensively

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If we could get Gavrikov in a Miller deal I would love it. He is so underrated because of where he plays, he is a beast and so good defensively

I figure Blue Jackets consider him untouchable and know they have enough other assets to still make a deal work. If they could get him, that’d definitely be massive. His contract status is concerning, however.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Still think Philly is the team that makes the most sense.

They have an idiot GM like Benning who isn't willing to rebuild and they're badly in need of a top line C.

#5 or Provorov are the assets I'd be targeting.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
More so than any one player or prospect—I think the Canucks will jump at a chance to get a top-six pick in this year’s draft as the primary return. Even if it means the rest of the package is less than what you’d expect.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Still think Philly is the team that makes the most sense.

They have an idiot GM like Benning who isn't willing to rebuild and they're badly in need of a top line C.

#5 or Provorov are the assets I'd be targeting.
Either of those would be great.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Gavrikov was a 6th round pick, could have just drafted him.

The guy dominated at the wjc and teams kept passing him at the draft.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
What do you think is the likelihood of EP resigning if this team misses the playoffs the next two years?

Pettersson is a RFA in two years time. He doesn't really have a choice unless he wants to sit out the season. Granted, we certainly don't want to be going in that direction. Regardless, it's a bridge we'll have to cross if it happens. Keeping Miller and attempting to be relevant doesn't make much sense when we're basically a bubble team if everything goes right.

It sucks but nearly a decade of Jim Benning has ruined us. We have no prospects worth speaking of unless the likes of Woo or Rathbone become superstars and we're stuck in cap hell. So it isn't like we could afford a Kadri splash either.

The only way we should be keeping Miller is if teams are lowballing us. There's no point trading him for a pittance just to get something unless he's refusing to resign here. Which I doubt.

Last edited:

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Boeser Garland Kuzmenko Hoglander are too easy to knock off pucks. Something has to give.

Like the Blue Jackets 12th pick and Gavrikov in a Miller deal. Maybe Cuelemans if the scouts think he can be a top4 down the road and they balk at that which they probably would.

Maybe they can pry the 6OA and forget the adds and get Mintyukov. I'm biased I think he will be better than Nemec even. Sergachev clone

Like the potential of moving Miller for above signing Forsberg and drafting Kulich Chesley at 12 and 15 or the 6 and Mintyukov. The goal really should be the best piece possible.

Would love to see Mintyukov or Chesley plus Cuelemans added to N.Roy Kuzmenko and Forsberg this off season.

Would take a flyer on Ethan Bear also if he can be had cheap as well as Lazar.

We need to get a Burrows/Foligno/Hartman type. Not really interested in moving off Hoglander yet but I do wonder about a move that gets us someone like Nichushkin Wilson that gets us some length puck winning/turnovers and room for the skilled players. Maybe Crouse or even Texier if they are dealing with the Jackets.
Garland and Hog too easy to knock off the puck? Compared to a 24 year old Crosby maybe.. They're two of the hardest players to take out of the cycle without taking a penalty. Short, savage and balanced.

Hoglander over Nichuskin all day. Took Nuke until he was 27 on the top team in the league to do better than a 20yo rookie Hogs.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Saw a Trade Proposal that i wanted to share:
Capitals:
Hendrix lapierre
Vincent Lorio
2023 1st (WSH)
2022 2nd (WPG)

Canucks:
Miller 50% retained.

Thoughts?

Status