Fallout 4 - Part IV - Settled In - Use Spoiler Tags.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
That too man, by the time the DLC is out most people's main game is already over and I had already left most settlements to rot so what do I have any interest in going back and decorating these things for now? Game is over.

They would have probably been a lot of fun when the game first came out and gave me more reason to collect junk but after it's all said and done, am I really going back to Abernathy Farm and building a weapon rack? What for? The game is done, I have no reason to travel to that area again.

Or just pointless add ons like the Workshop stuff, why am I building a contraption that manufactures steel balls or Teddy Bears, couldn't it actual serve some purpose like making ammo or something useful? Might as well just give me a garbage disposal in the game to throw my materials in. Or returning overdue library books, there's nothing worthwhile in those things that I can't pick up in the next abandoned room. Arcade in Nuka World, redeem tickets for useless junk? Maybe give something to work towards, like a hidden quest or some Nuka gun or something. Lot of stuff to do but no reason to do it with the DLC.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
On the subject of DLC, I'm enjoying Far Harbor thus far. I'd say it's worth the sale price, but perhaps not full price.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I wish there was a way to trigger attacks against one's settlements, especially the most heavily defended ones. I never get to see them in action.

It's not full proof but take a heavily defended settlement and build the largest water purifiers until your water supplied is much higher than defense. That'll make your settlement a "viable" target. Just make sure you go back when it's attacked because the AI will lose on their own.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I keep beating a dead horse, but I would've cared about the settlement building more, if they were interconnected, and allowed you to build your own Commonwealth/Megatronville/new DC...I mean you are the general of the Minutemen afterall. It was far too grindy to have to babysit settlements and deal with Preston's radiant quests.

However, the static, in isolation feel to them turned me off, not to mention the horrible UI for placing objects, parts that wouldn't snap correctly. That's part of the rub for me on FO4 - make the settlement building a major theme of the base game and DLC, but then half-ass it. FH and Nuka world had moments where I cared, but then there was something off putting (FH ultimately empty and NW just a series of scavenger hunts).

The worst of it is, that FO is my favorite franchise, I love the mood and atmosphere, but with how Bethesda handled 4, I don't think I'll be in a rush for 5 now.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The dlc was a major disappointment imo. The only ones i really spent any time in was Far Harbor and Nuka Cola World.

They should have done only big expansions for their season pass and offer these settlement building dlc as extra payable dlc.

I would be pissed if i paid $50 for it. Imo, all this dlc is absolutely not worth $50.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
The dlc was a major disappointment imo. The only ones i really spent any time in was Far Harbor and Nuka Cola World.

They should have done only big expansions for their season pass and offer these settlement building dlc as extra payable dlc.

I would be pissed if i paid $50 for it. Imo, all this dlc is absolutely not worth $50.

Actually in Canada at least they jacked up the price to 80$... they basically said that 50$ was simply too low for the amount of DLC they were going to be making and made a price change after a month or two. This also made me feel like we'd be getting something very good.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

An excellent example of why season passes are not a good buy.

You are gambling that you will want every scrap of DLC they put out for the game, plus that it will be worth it as opposed to buying individually. Pretty poor odds.

As much as I dislike the concept of the season pass, it's even worse when they have the pass PLUS they sell DLC outside of the season pass. It gets insulting.

So far I'm enjoying Far Harbor enough that if Nuka World goes on sale at some point, I may pick it up as well....but I'm not holding my breath for it or anything.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
An excellent example of why season passes are not a good buy.

You are gambling that you will want every scrap of DLC they put out for the game, plus that it will be worth it as opposed to buying individually. Pretty poor odds.

As much as I dislike the concept of the season pass, it's even worse when they have the pass PLUS they sell DLC outside of the season pass. It gets insulting.

So far I'm enjoying Far Harbor enough that if Nuka World goes on sale at some point, I may pick it up as well....but I'm not holding my breath for it or anything.

That's the worst. The WWE games are notorious for this IMO. Just don't make a pass if you aren't going to include everything, it's infuriating. Season pass means season pass in my books, everything DLC in that season should be included. If you want to release new DLC for the game after say 1 year fine but you buy a season pass sometimes and the same week they release a DLC you gotta pay for :angry:

Anyways I know what some people will say, read what it includes. But to me it's like going to an all you can eat buffet and them telling you that you have to pay for certain items.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
What mods would you guys recommend (for XB1). I went back to the game last night for the first time in months (I never did finish it, kinda lost intrest once I got to the Institute).

I've got the unofficial patch, and the improved dialogue mod. I'm not interested in anything goofy, or massive overhauls, I want improvements and enhancements to the base game, thanks.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
What mods would you guys recommend (for XB1). I went back to the game last night for the first time in months (I never did finish it, kinda lost intrest once I got to the Institute).

I've got the unofficial patch, and the improved dialogue mod. I'm not interested in anything goofy, or massive overhauls, I want improvements and enhancements to the base game, thanks.

Mods that alter the weather/sound effects (great with headphones), add greener grass for sure.

I've got mods that puts my sole survivor in short shorts and gave her longer hair too (and the enhanced body mod).

Lowered weapons, scrap everything, 2k textures, although that last one might be a PCMR one.

And then also a jet pack, because I hate power armor, and therefore never use its pack.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Playstation has officially been confirmed to get mods, but it will still be inferior to mods on Xbox.

No external assets will be allowed for the mods for Ps4.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Went back and started a Survival mode play through last night. It is brutal and hard and yet so satisfying because of it.

Hours in and I've barely left the Concord/Sanctuary area. But now with all the knowledge of the first play through weapons, armour and settlements are going to be so useful, going to spend a lot of time collecting supplies to make the best possible areas and gear I can because it's now vital to my survival. Can't just run head first into areas and wipe them out anymore, got myself backed up against a wall in the Concord service tunnel and one swipe cut in half by a mire lurk. That was the eye opener, but man did it feel good to go back and get my revenge.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Survival is satisfying but incredibly frustrating too. When the game freezes up when you try to sleep (save) after a gruelling area is awful. Dying from random crap like walking into a wall the wrong way is also not fun. The game should auto save every 12 in game hours (but not if you use the wait function). And then I'd have more fun.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
The sleep-save function does have a lot of complaints.

The Frost mod is having some serious problems with it and as far as I understand it, the mod will make some major changes with it while basically nerfing everything else.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Anyone having a problem with mods not loading despite running the game through NMM?

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I held off on getting FO4, but when I saw it on Amazon for 20 bucks, I grabbed it. So, my question to all you is - what mods should I use? (PC version).

If it helps - if there's anything that brings the guns anything closer to how they were handled in NV, that would definitely make the game more enjoyable for me. Also... anything that would change the dialogue selection back to the NV style (ie, you get to read the whole response before you choose it).

I don't know if any such mods exist, but I'm open to suggestions of other mods too. Thanks!

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Honest question. I have the Fallout 4 Pip Boy collectors edition xbox one and was thinking of selling the pipboy; stand; and case plus all the accoutrements except the actual game... what would you realistically pay for it? I see some on Ebay for $150-$175. I know even as a fan of the series - and somewhat disappointed with FO4 - I wouldn't pay for it at that price now.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I held off on getting FO4, but when I saw it on Amazon for 20 bucks, I grabbed it. So, my question to all you is - what mods should I use? (PC version).

If it helps - if there's anything that brings the guns anything closer to how they were handled in NV, that would definitely make the game more enjoyable for me. Also... anything that would change the dialogue selection back to the NV style (ie, you get to read the whole response before you choose it).

I don't know if any such mods exist, but I'm open to suggestions of other mods too. Thanks!

Honestly, I prefer in game guns to the "realistic guns" mods available.

The funnest gun Ive had through three playthoughs was an explosive double barrel shotgun. Close followup was an explosive automatic combat rifle.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I've never, ever played a Fallout game. Just saw it's 67% off on Steam, is it worth the money? I loved the witcher 3, not a huge RPG gamer otherwise.

I don't like FO4 as much as 3 and NV... but I still think it's good solid game, and worth the $20 I paid for it (I do not buy many games full price at all... like ever - so don't take that as a knock on the game).

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
agreed, FO4 is not as good as 3 and NV, but still well worth the sale price

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I've never, ever played a Fallout game. Just saw it's 67% off on Steam, is it worth the money? I loved the witcher 3, not a huge RPG gamer otherwise.

Its very different then Witcher. Its essentially an open world that leaves everything up to you. The story is secondary to the world exploration. If you only do the story youll be disappointed, because thats not really the intent of the game. Its fun comes from just wandering around, checking locations out, exploring etc. People spend literally hundreds of hours on one game file and essentially dont do anything more then the bare minimum of storyline required to get going.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I was thinking about getting fallout 4 again. Had a hard copy when it first came out, finished it, sold it and moved on.

With the price drop to 20, I kind of want to grab it again and replay it.

Does anyone think that a GOTY edition or complete edition will drop soon? seems like a low price to move units. Would be a waste of 20 bux if a all in one version is coming down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad