Fallout 4 - Part IV - Settled In - Use Spoiler Tags.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
That settlement crap was so pointless. I got through the game fine while barely even touching that stuff.

The sad thing is that I think the developers spent A LOT of time on it.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Spoilers for Covenant:

[SPOIL]I was disappointed that this whole settlement was gone so quickly for me in the game. The best part of exploration for me is coming across these little hubs where you don't just have to kill people. When the end result of the one quest you do there is being forced to kill everyone in the town, it kills a lot of the potential it had.

I assume if I "sided" with them there may have been more options going forward, but who in their right mind would side with those maniacs? The whole set-up was great and eerie, and that one quest was quite enjoyable.

Oh well. Just got into Good Neighbor, and I'm really excited about the set-up there as well.[/SPOIL]

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That settlement crap was so pointless. I got through the game fine while barely even touching that stuff.

I enjoyed it more than the story.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Spoilers for Covenant:

[SPOIL]I was disappointed that this whole settlement was gone so quickly for me in the game. The best part of exploration for me is coming across these little hubs where you don't just have to kill people. When the end result of the one quest you do there is being forced to kill everyone in the town, it kills a lot of the potential it had.

I assume if I "sided" with them there may have been more options going forward, but who in their right mind would side with those maniacs? The whole set-up was great and eerie, and that one quest was quite enjoyable.

Oh well. Just got into Good Neighbor, and I'm really excited about the set-up there as well.[/SPOIL]

Yeah there aren't enough non-hostile settlements in the game. Sure you can make your own, but they're devoid of any and all character when the npc's are all named "settler."

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

yup..played over 40 hours and Sanctuary never got attacked once :laugh:

a couple others did but I didn't care cause I never invested any resources in them anyways

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
yup..played over 40 hours and Sanctuary never got attacked once :laugh:

a couple others did but I didn't care cause I never invested any resources in them anyways

I pretty much just scrapped everything at the settlements and took the useful stuff back to Sanctuary. I only built up a couple of places to grow stuff to make more adhesive. But since I've pretty much upgraded all my armor and weapons to where I want them, I don't really care about the farms anymore. Plus actually building stuff is more of a pain in the ass than it's really worth, at least on a console.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Yeah, I'm now level 17, played 25 hours and Sanctuary hasn't been attacked once. As MadDevil said, the settlement is useful to grow the ingredients to make adhesive (because you never have enough adhesive), but other than that, I don't see the point.

It wouldn't be half as bad if the stuff you made looked nice - I know everything is made from recycled scrap, but do my newly made roofs still have to come with holes in them, and covered in rust?

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
It would be nice if there was a Minutemen quest where you get that old quarry near Concord operating again, and then could actually use the stone from there to make stone buildings, kinda like the ones in Shady Sands back in the first game.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
And would be awesome if I could turn a quarry into a settlement without size restrictions. I would remake Megaton or some kind of underground city. Also shouldn't have to recruit settlers with the tower, they should show up on their own based on how awesome or leave based on how terrible your settlement is.

I would feel more inclined to build a fortress if the raiders were stealing my gear and stuff I collected too. Like I do to them.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Spoilers for Covenant:

Other Covenant spoiler

[spoil]you realize that the girl you save is actually a synth right? They might be a little crazy, but they're not necessarily wrong in their research. I sided with them so I still had another non-hostile town.[/spoil]

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I was thinking about this yesterday in a "Skyrim v Fallout 4" kind of way, and it occurred to me that I much prefer the housebuilding in the Hearthfire add-on than F4. It doesn't have anywhere near the customisation that you get in F4, but at least you get a really nice home, that's nice and welcoming, and you can choose a people to live with you who don't sit on the floor crying and whining all the time.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I was thinking about this yesterday in a "Skyrim v Fallout 4" kind of way, and it occurred to me that I much prefer the housebuilding in the Hearthfire add-on than F4. It doesn't have anywhere near the customisation that you get in F4, but at least you get a really nice home, that's nice and welcoming, and you can choose a people to live with you who don't sit on the floor crying and whining all the time.

You can make a nice house in Fallout as well. It just takes a bit more planning, and tweaking

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I hate non-solo missions sometimes. I'm doing a mission with Proctor whatever the hell her name is, I'm about to shoot a rocket launcher at a bunch of synths, and the idiot steps out right in front of me and I shoot her instead. Now all the BOS troops in the building turn on me and I'm fighting about a dozen enemies. Thanks braindead companion.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
I really enjoy the settlement building. At level 36, I have 15+ settlements with average of 12ish settlers per. With local leader, etc, I have created multi leveled structures with a bar, weapon shop, etc. All of the settlements are connected and there are many scavenging stations, so, unlimited supplies for the most part. Plus, the stores bring in money based on settlement size.

You can create 8 floor towers pretty easily, complete with automated missile launchers. What is bad about that haha - works good when a group of super mutants attack or death claws...

BTW - the settlements do get attacked by tougher enemies and more often as you get to the higher levels.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Just to check, there's no level cap in Fallout 4, right? So, theoretically, assuming I put enough time into it, I could max out every single perk eventually, right?

Still just doing my regular thing with these types of games, wander around aimlessly, only occasionally touching the main quests. For instance, I didn't go to Diamond City until I had put almost 40 hours into the game.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Just to check, there's no level cap in Fallout 4, right? So, theoretically, assuming I put enough time into it, I could max out every single perk eventually, right?

Still just doing my regular thing with these types of games, wander around aimlessly, only occasionally touching the main quests. For instance, I didn't go to Diamond City until I had put almost 40 hours into the game.

Yes. In my first playthrough, I got up to level 102, and the goal was to go after all the perks, but it became very grindy, as there were many side quests left to do (the submarine one and McCready's), but otherwise, just radiant quests, which don't make you level up very quickly.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
I really hope they let obsidian make a fallout New Vegas Remastered. With some of the original ideas like a bigger new Vegas and world map. If there is one game which can make settlements enjoyable it would be a remastered New Vegas. All the places there had meaning but adding more to that game would make it ten out of ten. I really hope they do it.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
My main base never got attacked and I don't waste resources helping the other poor people. I can barely find it and I'm not spending caps

I'm pretty much done with the game until dlc. Replay ability isn't there for me with fallout. Elder scrolls yes

Hopefully Bethesda improves on the building cause it actually is a nice feature

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
I wish there was a way to trigger attacks against one's settlements, especially the most heavily defended ones. I never get to see them in action.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Just finished the story for the first time. Kinda cool.

I played through at least two times each in 3 and NV but I'm not so sure I'll be playing through again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad