Fallout 4 - Part IV - Settled In - Use Spoiler Tags.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
got a cheap Season Pass finally so jumping back in. was worried I wouldnt enjoy it as much but theres a good selection of mods now fixing alot of stuff I hated and adding more stuf

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Its very different then Witcher. Its essentially an open world that leaves everything up to you. The story is secondary to the world exploration. If you only do the story youll be disappointed, because thats not really the intent of the game. Its fun comes from just wandering around, checking locations out, exploring etc. People spend literally hundreds of hours on one game file and essentially dont do anything more then the bare minimum of storyline required to get going.

I picked up this game in the November sales and it's the main thing that I've always not cared for in Bethesda games. I felt like in TW3, there was less desire or even ability to leave the main quest on hold indefinitely like in Bethesda games. I'm having fun with FO4, but I didn't even go to Diamond City until I was level 30. Between all of the minutemen quests (the settlements are such a boring part of this game, btw) and starting up with the railroad I didn't even bother to get to Diamond City for quite some time.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I picked up this game in the November sales and it's the main thing that I've always not cared for in Bethesda games. I felt like in TW3, there was less desire or even ability to leave the main quest on hold indefinitely like in Bethesda games. I'm having fun with FO4, but I didn't even go to Diamond City until I was level 30. Between all of the minutemen quests (the settlements are such a boring part of this game, btw) and starting up with the railroad I didn't even bother to get to Diamond City for quite some time.

The settlements were a decent idea that were completely overhyped and hobbled by the fact that all the stuff that made settlements worth building were released post game in DLC. Also in the simple tutorial mission they had on settlements they should have had electricity, once you figure that part out - you can go nuts and create some pretty awesome stuff.

But they didn't.

I'm hoping Fallout 4 goes down like GTA IV. Big in idea scale, little in delivering. But when 5 hits - look the **** out.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Yeah the settlements were a very cool idea, but were poorly implemented.

Also, the Minutemen side quests were infuriating and their repetitive, timed, and annoying nature really felt like they were in stark contrast to typical Bethesda "side quests".

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
The settlements were a decent idea that were completely overhyped and hobbled by the fact that all the stuff that made settlements worth building were released post game in DLC. Also in the simple tutorial mission they had on settlements they should have had electricity, once you figure that part out - you can go nuts and create some pretty awesome stuff.

But they didn't.

I'm hoping Fallout 4 goes down like GTA IV. Big in idea scale, little in delivering. But when 5 hits - look the **** out.

Which DLC? I think I have one or two DLC, but I'm not at my computer to check which ones. I already enjoy the settlements in small doses, but still find them frustrating - maybe if I get myself the right DLC for them, they'll be more enjoyable.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I enjoy the settlement building part, not so much the settlement managing part.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'd love to see more settlement attacks - that's part of what I enjoy about the settlement building is making a functional, but also defensible settlement. I have a mod that increases the attacks, but I need to see if I can tweak it. I also wish that the game would give you a "click okay" interface when it tells you that settlements are being attacked, so that you don't miss it.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
There is a mod that makes the announcement more prominent.

My biggest issue with the attack system is the settlements I spend time defending never get attacked. The way the mechanic works most attacks are directed to settlements with resources outnumbering defenses.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Most of my settlements are the other way around, but I got a mod for that - I just need to play with it to make the attacks more frequent.

I also got a mod that brought in 14.5mm, 20mm Hispano, and 20mm Vulcan rounds - and apparently it applied to available turrets too - or at least the 14.5mm and Vulcan rounds did. Overkill? Certainly. Lots of fun to watch a turret go to town on a handful of raiders? Yes :yo:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I had a high level death claw attack one of my heavily defended settlements when I was working on it. Didn't even reach my walls, but was a thing of beauty to see it get shredded by the turrets. :laugh:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Man, the best attack I've gotten was Synths - and that settlement wasn't very enclosed or well defended at the time. I'd LOVE to have a deathclaw attack!

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Man, the best attack I've gotten was Synths - and that settlement wasn't very enclosed or well defended at the time. I'd LOVE to have a deathclaw attack!

If you have it on PC you could always make your own.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
I'm hoping that last update fixed some bugs. I'm stuck in Far Harbor, the story can't progress due to a glitch.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
A mod that lets your save any time you want.

Ya I got one of those. Its the one concession I gave.

Is immersive Gameplay worth using?

If its not, are there any better damage rebalancers worth getting?

To be honest im a few hours in and I still dont find the game that challanging. A damage mods appeals to me because im worried late game that some of the tougher fights will be damn near impossible if the enemies are just big bullet sponges but my ability for combat is severely limited by Survival Mode.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Season pass is still so expensive for this game. I'm waiting for it to drop to like $15 before buying it. I've heard that really only two pieces of DLC are worth bothering with.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Season pass is still so expensive for this game. I'm waiting for it to drop to like $15 before buying it. I've heard that really only two pieces of DLC are worth bothering with.

I'm on the same boat. Won't touch it until it's at least in the $20-25 range.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm playing through the DLC now after completing the main quest.

Far Harbour is quite immersive, has a fair amount of content, and is generally just creepy and cool. I spent a lot of time on the island but I enjoy exploring and taking in the environment.

Automatron was more enjoyable than I expected. It's a small DLC but the added content is pretty neat. It might be a bit more interesting to have done before finishing the main campaign because I have all of the relevant perks for designing/upgrading robots so I can sort of jump right to the end. Some of the robot designs you can come up with are pretty cool.

I've got the Vault and Nuka World expansions to go.

The contraptions workshop is pretty pointless as far as I can tell. I haven't made any machine to make anything because again, at this point, I have more than enough of everything. I have used a few of the settlement add-ons including the Elevator and display cases.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Far Harbour and Nuka World are both really, really good. I had initially thought Nuka World was going to be really hokey, but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

The other DLC is based around settlement building for the most part. They have short questlines for them to get you going though.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Tried a couple new mods, a zombie one that makes ghouls more pack like and slower, but if you don't shoot them in the head, they'll just absorb bullets like a sponge, and then another one that makes Gunners harder and more frequent, even gives them access to vertibirds, but since I've started out in a new game, they wax me pretty quickly.

For this new game, I've left mods on though, so much more immersive with some of the weather mods.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Far Harbor was excellent DLC. Automatron was shorter but really cool. Nuka World is something I played the beginning of but was so burnt out of Fallout at the time that I didn't finish. It seemed decent though.

The three workshop ones were awful for me. I don't really play for the creation aspect, I play for the story and, to some extent, completion, so those three didn't do anything for me.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I've kind of quit the main story line, and just play around with the settlements. My settlement building was pretty awful at the start, but I've got it down now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->