Fallout 4 - Part IV - Settled In - Use Spoiler Tags.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Now another full day of work before I can fire up Nuka World. After it finally got up on the store last night, 4.5GB file needed 5 hours to download, servers must have been loaded.

Need to stop giving up on the belief I can play a game on day one.

TomPlex

Jan 24, 2006
www.dermamode.com
I'm not digging the evil vibe of the Nuka World DLC. If you spend your entire time building up a good and honest character, why force evil upon them? I know that you can just go ahead and kill all of the gang leaders and free the traders, but then you lose all the quest lines for the DLC.

These DLCs have been an epic failure.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
I am currently doing the Trip To the Stars quest. <Side Quest Spoilers>
I've brought all 5 space suits to Dara and we've gone to the space ship with her crew. Enemies have been cleared but she won't initiate the ending of the quest. I try to talk to her and she tells me to wait until she's addressed her crew. 4 of the 5 crew members are there. One other -not dead- is in a building nearby leaning up against a wall nonchalantly just biding his time. So here I sit. **** sakes.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
I'm not digging the evil vibe of the Nuka World DLC. If you spend your entire time building up a good and honest character, why force evil upon them? I know that you can just go ahead and kill all of the gang leaders and free the traders, but then you lose all the quest lines for the DLC.

Nuka World is basically making up for the lack of options for evil characters in the base game. Would have been nice if there was more depth to it for good characters, but Bethesda have always marketed it as a DLC about raiders, there's really not that much a good character can do with raiders besides killing them.

I think people have too high expectations for the DLCs overall. Personally I love Far Harbor and I liked the new aspects that Automatron brought into the game and as much crap people give Bethesda for the workshop DLCs they still added new aspects to the gameplay like manufacturing, unlike the "pay $5 for two new outfits and a gun!"-style DLCs you get for so many other games.

TomPlex

Jan 24, 2006
www.dermamode.com
Nuka World is basically making up for the lack of options for evil characters in the base game. Would have been nice if there was more depth to it for good characters, but Bethesda have always marketed it as a DLC about raiders, there's really not that much a good character can do with raiders besides killing them.

I think people have too high expectations for the DLCs overall. Personally I love Far Harbor and I liked the new aspects that Automatron brought into the game and as much crap people give Bethesda for the workshop DLCs they still added new aspects to the gameplay like manufacturing, unlike the "pay $5 for two new outfits and a gun!"-style DLCs you get for so many other games.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the DLC in general, I just don't like that they're forcing this evilness upon us. The fact that it was advertised as a Raider DLC didn't lead me to believe automatically that they would force me upon that path.

And I enjoyed Far Harbor.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Find it kind of funny that Nuka World you can't really build a settlement until near the end of the DLC. So for a game that was all about settlements in the final DLC you can't do it until it's over. At which point most people's game is over for good because that's the end of the line. In the meantime you're lugging around a bunch of junk for nothing.

Just feels like DLC that should have been added in half way through the story not at the end, like all the settlement building DLC would have been useful when I was actually building Sanctuary, not when I have no reason to go back to it. Actually all the DLC seems like it would be far more engaging if it didn't come well after people finished the main stuff. All it makes me want to do is start a new game and be able to do things properly now.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
But that's not really on Sony's end. From what I've been reading, it seems like Sony has asked Bethesda to QA the mods for the console to prevent any kind of crashes or overall system issues and they (Bethesda) pretty much won't do that. But we'll see.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
But that's not really on Sony's end. From what I've been reading, it seems like Sony has asked Bethesda to QA the mods for the console to prevent any kind of crashes or overall system issues and they (Bethesda) pretty much won't do that. But we'll see.

Bethesda is saying that Sony is the one that won't allow mods. I doubt we will ever find out the truth though.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Considering Bethesda had the mods in closed beta and was giving excuses that made it seem like it was their fault before (feels like covering for them now) safe to say it's Sony's fault now. They wouldn't change the story unless negotiations soured. Remember, Sony had a 900 MB cap and won't allow audio files so that was a massive impediment right off the bat.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

??? Nuka world was raider DLC from the beginning announcements.

[SPOIL]Or you can just kill all the raiders in nuka world (part of side quest given to you in nuka world market).[/SPOIL]

My biggest gripe with nuka world, is that it's all an elaborate scavenger hunt, although I liked finding the cappys. My character basically looks like Slash with the special glasses, Oswald's hat, and the ballistic woven courser uniform

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

Felt the same way, but I ended up going through with being evil anyways. Then I have to defend colonies against my own people and murder them like a sadistic ****. I regret converting them because you end up losing 2 colonies for every 1 you settle (need to shake down one per essentially) and in the end all you really get is caps, chems and a few random items here and there.

I guess I'm not the only one who is pissed about the DLC's. Worst part is I paid full price for them (80$ CAD) as I had been used to the DLC from FO3 and NV which were IMO exceptional and plentiful, and all we got was 2 storyline DLC's, a bunch of building **** that is useless and makes your settlement look bloated with random bs, and one or two DLC's where the storyline takes like 1hr to complete.

Nuka World and Far Harbor were at least acceptable DLC's, the rest were all trash at the end of the day. I'd give Far Harbor a 8/10 and Nuka World a generous 7/10 since they didn't take too short a time to complete, even though some of the quests in Nuka were just tedious and the things you mentioned bugged me. Again though, probably being generous here. The other DLC deserves anywhere from a 2/10 to a 5/10.

Am I the only one who feels this game requires a lot more content to be considered on par with previous installments? I hope I'm not alone...

I don't have a clue what I'm looking for with the cappy glasses

Same. It's super ****ing annoying. I know I could google it and eventually will, but I just gave up on that part for now since it's one of the dumbest quests I've ever had in a Fallout game. Seriously you see the marker on your map and it disappears? Gee thanks Bethesda awesome quest. :shakehead

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Finding the cappys wasn't that hard IMO.

You're given a holotape with riddles, describing where to look for them in the the different zones.

Hidden%20Cappy%20in%20Galactic%20World%201.jpg

Some of the star cores on the other hand...but the cappy quest fits the whole Coca Cola fan/theme park vibe, and I liked the ending for it. I think I only googled for one of them, and then laughed at myself, when I literally had walked past it several times without noticing it.

But again, both of those quests are just elaborate scavenger hunts,

TomPlex

Jan 24, 2006
www.dermamode.com
??? Nuka world was raider DLC from the beginning announcements.
Just because it was announced as a Raider DLC doesn't necessarily mean that you were going to become a Raider. Maybe it was just a huge Raider zone where you had to team up with a group to eliminate them all.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I guess I'm not the only one who is pissed about the DLC's. Worst part is I paid full price for them (80$ CAD) as I had been used to the DLC from FO3 and NV which were IMO exceptional and plentiful, and all we got was 2 storyline DLC's, a bunch of building **** that is useless and makes your settlement look bloated with random bs, and one or two DLC's where the storyline takes like 1hr to complete.

Am I the only one who feels this game requires a lot more content to be considered on par with previous installments? I hope I'm not alone...

That's the thing I bought the season pass too based off their past DLC work on FO3, NV and Skyrim, I didn't see that there was any possible way I wouldn't get full value. Then we get something like the Vault DLC that has a storyline that lasts literally 20 minutes, and 19 of that is just waiting for your dweller to complete an experiment. And then it was just over. There is more depth to a side quest in Fallout 3.

You're not alone on that, when I think back to Fallout 3 or New Vegas they are on another level. So much more content and things to do, far more engaging quests and side quests. I can think back to Fallout 3 and have good feeling memories of a lot of quests - first time in Megaton, Rivet City, helping that kid Bryan Wilkes, slaving missions, the kid towns, that town of murderers, etc. New Vegas think back to the first run in with the Legion or that super mutant that helps you out, the gambling on and on...

Fallout 4 I look back at now and there's certainly some good things, it is a Fallout game, it looked great, I liked the voiced characters and character creation, first time I stepped foot in Diamond City I was like "Oh man here we go"... Can't even remember if I had a favourite quest in this game, only one that stands out while I write this is the Silver Shroud one.

Hate to be in the Obsidian group or anything like that because I still loved the game, and I think Fallout 3 was better than New Vegas, but I would love to see what Obsidian could do with the new tools of Fallout 4. Give them another shot Bethesda and I'll forgive the DLC rip off.

TomPlex

Jan 24, 2006
www.dermamode.com
That's the thing I bought the season pass too based off their past DLC work on FO3, NV and Skyrim, I didn't see that there was any possible way I wouldn't get full value. Then we get something like the Vault DLC that has a storyline that lasts literally 20 minutes, and 19 of that is just waiting for your dweller to complete an experiment. And then it was just over. There is more depth to a side quest in Fallout 3.

You're not alone on that, when I think back to Fallout 3 or New Vegas they are on another level. So much more content and things to do, far more engaging quests and side quests. I can think back to Fallout 3 and have good feeling memories of a lot of quests - first time in Megaton, Rivet City, helping that kid Bryan Wilkes, slaving missions, the kid towns, that town of murderers, etc. New Vegas think back to the first run in with the Legion or that super mutant that helps you out, the gambling on and on...

Fallout 4 I look back at now and there's certainly some good things, it is a Fallout game, it looked great, I liked the voiced characters and character creation, first time I stepped foot in Diamond City I was like "Oh man here we go"... Can't even remember if I had a favourite quest in this game, only one that stands out while I write this is the Silver Shroud one.

Hate to be in the Obsidian group or anything like that because I still loved the game, and I think Fallout 3 was better than New Vegas, but I would love to see what Obsidian could do with the new tools of Fallout 4. Give them another shot Bethesda and I'll forgive the DLC rip off.
The problem with Fallout 4 is that they tried to reinvent the wheel. We didn't need settlement building. It was a huge step forward for the game mechanics, but an unnecessary one at that. It ended up taking away from the most important thing about Fallout: the stories and characters. And those rinse-and-repeat errand quests? Ugh

Since the game focused so heavily on settlements, it makes sense that the DLCs did as well. Unfortunately, settlements/construction went from "oh I can just ignore these in the main game" to being the focus of 3/5 DLCs. What a shame. The DLCs in New Vegas were awesome. Dead Money felt very long and engaging. You met interesting characters along the way.

These DLCs have left a sour taste in my mouth regarding this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad