F Filip Zadina (2018, 6th, DET) Part 2

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Based on the ten or so of you that showed up in this thread for the first time after the WJC. Yeah I think you’ve lost some sleep. Apologies to you on our prospect giving an interview you found distasteful.
Did I comment on the interview? I commented on his play, dear God people are offended by any damn thing. Furthermore, I haven't said a single thing that isn't factually correct.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The thread history says otherwise. Habs fans loving coming in here with their hot takes, as if anyone cares what they think.

With after all the laughing prior to the season can you blame them?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
When, exactly, has he been playing good in the AHL?

+/- more than twice as bad as anyone else on the team. Highlights show he wasn't even involved in the play on a good portion of his points.

Today I learned that being a .75PPG player at 18 years old in the AHL is a bad thing.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Today I learned that being a .75PPG player at 18 years old in the AHL is a bad thing.
Today I learned that having your shot that's going wide of an empty net bounce off the goalie and in is an indication that you're a superstar. Or having your shot bounce tip off a defender, saved by the goalie, and then rebounded in by a teammate is what you look for in a superstar. Or having your teammate skate through the neutral zone with the puck, fire it in by himself, and you pick up a primary assist is an indication that you're a superstar.

And of course, =/- is completely useless. Even when you are more than TWICE AS BAD as everyone else ON YOUR TEAM.

Perhaps a few poorly placed one timers on the power play? Sweet! A left handed Marty Frk!

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Today I learned that having your shot that's going wide of an empty net bounce off the goalie and in is an indication that you're a superstar. Or having your shot bounce tip off a defender, saved by the goalie, and then rebounded in by a teammate is what you look for in a superstar. Or having your teammate skate through the neutral zone with the puck, fire it in by himself, and you pick up a primary assist is an indication that you're a superstar.

And of course, =/- is completely useless. Even when you are more than TWICE AS BAD as everyone else ON YOUR TEAM.

Perhaps a few poorly placed one timers on the power play? Sweet! A left handed Marty Frk!

So he's doing all that and STILL putting up .75PPG as an 18 year old?

tenor.gif

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
So he's doing all that and STILL putting up .75PPG as an 18 year old?

tenor.gif
So you're literally going out of your way to do nothing but stat watch.... AND specifically ignoring the stats that make him look bad?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
So you're literally going out of your way to do nothing but stat watch.... AND specifically ignoring the stats that make him look bad?

When the stat you managed to come up with is plus minus? Yup...

His production for an 18 year old in the AHL is exceptional. If you don't get that already, there's no point in wasting my time.

By the way, Marty Frk put up 12 points in 50 games as a 20 year old. Definitely comparable.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
His production for an 18 year old in the AHL is exceptional. If you don't get that already, there's no point in wasting my time.
Oh my god you're right. Turns out he's top-15 ALL-TIME in AHL scoring by 18 year olds.

*sample size of 20 players

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Oh my god you're right. Turns out he's top-15 ALL-TIME in AHL scoring by 18 year olds.

*sample size of 20 players

So you acknowledge that an 18 year old producing well in a league made up of 95% 20+ year olds is good, then?

Way to back yourself into that corner, genius.

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
So you acknowledge that an 18 year old producing well in a league made up of 95% 20+ year olds is good then?

Way to back yourself into that corner, genius.
He's not playing well.
Being 18 in the AHL doesn't make you special. It's a fluke of the rules.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And quite a good argument on your part.

Sooooo....

Sweet primary assist!

Did you really just use ONE example to show he hasn't actually contributed on his points? :laugh:

Hes on a ~25G/50pt pace as one of the youngest players in the AHL. That's pretty impressive.

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Ignoring the quality of his points doesn't seem like a good idea when looking to analyze his play.

This guy doesn't seem to get it. Head in the sand and he's absolutely proud of it.

*Stat watches then looks at two highlights*

I gotta give it to you guys, never heard of this argument. It's quite... how do I put it... trash.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Did you really just use ONE example to show he hasn't actually contributed on his points? :laugh:

*Stat watches then looks at two highlights*

I gotta give it to you guys, never heard of this argument. It's quite... how do I put it... trash.

I also listed several other fluke plays... before I got tired of listing all of them.

Still waiting for ANY examples of his dynamic ability being shown in the AHL.

And I think his most extensive highlight reel since being drafted would be "Zadina getting blown up skating through the middle of the ice". Even if he has ability that I don't see, he's not doing his career any favors

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
He's not playing well.
Being 18 in the AHL doesn't make you special. It's a fluke of the rules.

Yes, you're right, he's just lucking into all of his points.

That's almost about as sensible as sourcing his plus minus as a legitimate statistic.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I have all the confidence in the world that Zadina is going to figure out to be a very effective scoring winger in the NHL. Noting that he is on a 50 points pace is equally as valid as having a poor +/-, they both have meaning, not as much as we would all like but they are meaningful stats nonetheless; the fact that he's doing it as an 18 year old against pros however is a very good sign of his ability. It shouldn't surprise anyone that a Euro 18 year old would struggle with his 200 foot game in his first pro season and my guess is that Grand Rapids is a really good place to work that out and improve. He is aby any reasonable standard, a very good top 6 winger prospect and he has good size and skating ability to go along with very obvious skill, my guess is that he will be a staple on the Red Wings top 6 by the 2021-2022 season, as a 21/22 year old, I think that is a pretty good outcome for where he was drafted and I think he has the ability to be a pretty regular 30 goal scorer in the NHL, maybe more if NHL scoring continues to rise like it has this season.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Remember when Dylan Larkin was -28 the same year Anthony Mantha was +10?

That's why plus minus is a ridiculous argument.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

How many Griffins games have you watched this year?

How can you say a guy on pace for ~25 goals and ~50 points is getting flukey points as the reason for his production? Its 27 games in now, not a 5 game hot streak. Its also not like he has some 5 point game or something skewing his stats. Hes been pretty consistent production wise all year as well.

Hes having a solid season for a guy his age in that league

Reactions: Winger98

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Zadina had only two poor games, against Canada and USA (surprise). In both games the Czech team was clearly overhelmed and created very little offense. Where is the Necas or Kaut hate? They were just as crap, Necas probably even more so. In the other games against lesser opponents, Zadina should have scored about 4-5 goals, just as snake bitten as is gets.
Also, Czech teams are always low scoring, what Necas and Zadina did last year was more of a anomaly than anything else. Elite Czech NHLers like Pastrnak, Voracek or Hertl seem to be doing just fine despite lacking huge WJC numbers... unlike superstars like Hodgson or Puljujarvi lol.
This thread will be fun in couple years.

Reactions: Tube Skates

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
This guy doesn't seem to get it. Head in the sand and he's absolutely proud of it.

No, were ignoring ridiculous reasoning. The guy listed like 4 plays out of his 17 points that weren't great points (even listed a rebound point, which is pretty standard).

Every player in history will get points where they didn't do much.

Here's a couple where he "deserved" his points for you.

You dont luck into a .75ppg as a player on average like 7 years younger than everyone else in the league. If he was scoring 100pt pace in junior right now everyone would say how great hes doing.

Reactions: newfy

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
No, were ignoring ridiculous reasoning. The guy listed like 4 plays out of his 17 points that weren't great points (even listed a rebound point, which is pretty standard).

Every player in history will get points where they didn't do much.

Here's a couple where he "deserved" his points for you.

You dont luck into a .75ppg as a player on average like 7 years younger than everyone else in the league. If he was scoring 100pt pace in junior right now everyone would say how great hes doing.

So included in here are:
Banging in a loose puck (so he's Abdelkader without physicality?)
Missing a wide open net, but accidentally banking it in
A clutch goal in the dying seconds.... after the other team had already iced the game with an empty netter.
A PP slapshot not placed accurately (so he's Frk/Pulkinnen?)

And these are the highlights. While I've been very disappointed with every aspect of his play that I've seen that aren't highlights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad