F Filip Zadina (2018, 6th, DET) Part 2

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I never understood why scoring instincts are belittled. Zadina produces goals and points. Why does it matter if they are impressive points or not? Not every player is a flashy dangler. Some find the right spots on the ice, and have good precision in front of net. Zadina has elite scoring instincts, and that is a very important part of the game for a forward. It shouldn't be held against him that he's not a flashy dangler who scores all his points with highlight-reel goals.
TBH, I would never pick a guy like Laine/Matthews over a guy that drives the play like Malkin/Scheifele/Kuznetsov, so i understand the point... Zadina does "less" for a team than some players, kinda like Tkachuk does "less", but these two are the type of player you need anyway to win. I think Zadina and tkachuk need to be at least your 2nd best forward to be a succesful team, though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
TBH, I would never pick a guy like Laine/Matthews over a guy that drives the play like Malkin/Scheifele/Kuznetsov, so i understand the point... Zadina does "less" for a team than some players, kinda like Tkachuk does "less", but these two are the type of player you need anyway to win. I think Zadina and tkachuk need to be at least your 2nd best forward to be a succesful team, though.

I also would probably prefer among two equal scorers the player who does more but scores less efficiently than the player who does less but scores more efficiently, but I think too often fans ignore an important part of the game, scoring instincts.

If someone expected Zadina to be a line-driver who skates around in a circle before finding teammates right on the door-step for a goal late in the game when the team needs their best players to make a play, they are misunderstanding his contribution. Get him some skilled line mates, and he'll put up 30-40 goals per season and 70-80 points per season.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I also would probably prefer among two equal scorers the player who does more but scores less efficiently than the player who does less but scores more efficiently, but I think too often fans ignore an important part of the game, scoring instincts.

If someone expected Zadina to be a line-driver who skates around in a circle before finding teammates right on the door-step for a goal late in the game when the team needs their best players to make a play, they are misunderstanding his contribution. Get him some skilled line mates, and he'll put up 30-40 goals per season and 70-80 points per season.
Obviously. Thats why hes a great piece, but one you get after you got that circling around piece.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I never understood why scoring instincts are belittled. Zadina produces goals and points. Why does it matter if they are impressive points or not? Not every player is a flashy dangler. Some find the right spots on the ice, and have good precision in front of net. Zadina has elite scoring instincts, and that is a very important part of the game for a forward. It shouldn't be held against him that he's not a flashy dangler who scores all his points with highlight-reel goals.

I think he can do both just fine (score pretty and ugly goals). He certainly had a lot of highlight reel plays at the WJC last year.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think he can do both just fine (score pretty and ugly goals). He certainly had a lot of highlight reel plays at the WJC last year.
I always say this but what I like most about Zadina is how versatile he is offensively. He's good enough at every facet of the game in the offensive zone that he can beat you any way he needs to.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

That is fine the players you just described are Larkin and Veleno, perhaps Hughes or another high pick in the center of ice. Though we might go D this year.

Still for his development, the Wings haven't relied on him for that. Though I think you're underrating his hands and puck control skills a little bit. He does have high-end passing from time to time and good in tight moves. No, I don't think a bunch of the dangles he did in Halifax are going to frequent the NHL. But one of Zadina's better skills is he is able to invite pressure and escape it. He is figuring that out at the pro level but there has been growth there already and it isn't going to trouble him a whole lot at the junior level where he is way more slippery when dropped in with his peers in my opinion. He is a shift guy, but no the Wings aren't planning on Zadina holding the puck for 10 seconds while circling the zone. We have speed merchants in Larkin, Athanasiou and Veleno that are more suited to that role.

Reactions: Frk It

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Ty Smith has risen above him, IMO, but anyone saying hes a bust needs to get socked in the chicklets.

Itll be interesting to see if your opinion changes over the WJC. If Zadina was still in junior hes probably the best player in the CHL and scoring a goal a game. Instead hes putting up solid numbers in a tough pro league while Smith is playing junior still.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
This:

bust
:sarcasm:

was a sarcastic post

zadina will be fine
will be a 25 goal scoree in nhl

stop it
move on

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Thats just a ridiculous take. Ive been called "low" on Zadina many times but his shot is absolutely elite, and so are his hands.

I was mocking the post that described his shot as such, not saying that myself.

Also, I would argue that the whole reason Detroit has kept him in the AHL is to make him a more complete player while maintaining that elite shot.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Excited for the WJC, him and Necas should tear it up together.

Kills me just a little we could have had both, but Carolina has a real good one there.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
interesting to see there are mixed comments on this guy. he seems to be doing ok to me in the ahl, but i have been curious since the draft why he dropped so far compared to the media talking head projections. has anything specific emerged as a weakness in his game?

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
interesting to see there are mixed comments on this guy. he seems to be doing ok to me in the ahl, but i have been curious since the draft why he dropped so far compared to the media talking head projections. has anything specific emerged as a weakness in his game?
He is a slow skater.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Hottest take in the thread: Zadina has a "Slightly above average shot."

... Even if you don't hold much value in the rest of his game, you can call him a one dimensional shooter. But that shot is extremely reminiscent of what Ovechkin and now Laine are making a living off.

I'm not saying he's on their level, I'm saying when he consistently rips it in from the circle and goalies can't do anything to stop it, that's who he reminds you of.
Has Zadina developed a one timer? That was the one thing that his arsenal of shots lacked in Halifax. Fantastic wrist and snapshots were evident. Also really accurate in tight but there was no one timers in Halifax. He had a couple in the 2018 WJC

Christien

May 1, 2010
Has Zadina developed a one timer? That was the one thing that his arsenal of shots lacked in Halifax. Fantastic wrist and snapshots were evident. Also really accurate in tight but there was no one timers in Halifax. He had a couple in the 2018 WJC
Oh yeah he definitely has a good one timer, look up his goal vs the Bruins in preseason, he’s also scored some nice one timer goals this year in the AHL

Reactions: Tube Skates

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Unfortunately that's about his best highlight, but piss poor coaching putting him on a line with nobodies doesn't help.

Hopefully he'll grow from it.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He did nothing for me in yesterdays game.. I found myself trying to find him alot throughout the game. Its only 1 game tho, but i still had waaaaay higher hopes for how he will be at the tourney. Hopefully next game he lights it up!!

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Didn't see the whole game but he had a few nice o-zone possessions and SOG's. Stupid how the Czech coach splits up their best duo from last year tho, I guess he doesn't want his team to score many goals....

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Only saw the first two periods of the game but I thought he looked really good. A couple really strong shifts, surprised he didn't score.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ty Smith has risen above him, IMO, but anyone saying hes a bust needs to get socked in the chicklets.

Ty Smith better than Zadina? Thats absurd. Sorry Ty Smith makes some of the stupidest mistakes I have ever seen, sure he makes great plays until he doesnt and its a horrible turnover.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa

Unfortunately that's about his best highlight, but piss poor coaching putting him on a line with nobodies doesn't help.

Hopefully he'll grow from it.

Definitely not his best highlight. He had a play where he skated through about 4 Swiss players and then eventually set up Kondelik in the doorstep. Unfortunately didn’t go in

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Ty Smith better than Zadina? Thats absurd. Sorry Ty Smith makes some of the stupidest mistakes I have ever seen, sure he makes great plays until he doesnt and its a horrible turnover.

Lol do you watch the game with your eyes closed?

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Skating and strength/board battles.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lol do you watch the game with your eyes closed?
How embarrassing after ty smith has 3 absolutely horrid giveaways last night yet again. On top of multiple risky plays, he is great offensively sure but his puck management is bad. Its ok if you dont understand hockey but dont throw around insults if youre clueless.

Getting hot and scoring a bunch of points on the easiest league in jr to score in doesnt all of a sudden mean the player is better than a surefire nhl sniper. Who was debatably the best player in the WJC last year. Smith has shown that he should barely be dressed at this level while the other player was dominant.

Reactions: tfong and Realgud

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Was at the Canada/Czech game tonight, Zadina was by far the biggest disappointment. He was terrible, completely invisible, generated nothing all game long. You’d have absolutely no idea he was one of their most talented players from watching this game. It’s been a really poor tourney for him so far, wonder if he’s still injured?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad