F Filip Zadina (2018, 6th, DET) Part 2

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Are people really comparing Zadina to Martin Frk? Is that actually happening here?

The massive overreactions are hilarious. He turned 19 years old a month ago lol.

Actually, I think they're confusing him with Frk

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
He should had been returned to his Junior Team in Halifax this season..... Maybe Wings should do that still.

Yeah, we've already been over how sending him back to the Q to dangle around pylons and rip in one timers from his office don't benefit his development.

How many top athletes do you think got better by not challenging themselves?

Any struggles he's going through will be of benefit to make him a better player. Hopefully, it's also been a wake-up call to his relatively mediocre fitness level.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
He doesn't look strong to me. Very disappointed in his style of play. Avoids contact. Very finesse. Doesn't score the dirty goals. Very skilled otherwise.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Zadina is the one looking like a pilon this year.

Ya, even if this were the case it takes nothing away from the fact that Zadina doesn't become a better player dominating kids, many of whom willl never play pro hockey.

That's like expecting Schwarzenegger to go into the gym and get bigger curling 10s.

Sorry that point went over your head.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
He doesn't look strong to me. Very disappointed in his style of play. Avoids contact. Very finesse. Doesn't score the dirty goals. Very skilled otherwise.

Right, I'm not saying you're wrong, as I agree with most of your post. But the good news is that you can't really teach skill, and it's obvious that Zadina has tons of skill. He needs to get stronger, and get more involved physically, but that will come with experience. I still think at worst Zadina is a 60-70 point player every year. Maybe not the high-end star that we all hoped for, but he's going to be a good NHL scorer for many years.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He should had been returned to his Junior Team in Halifax this season..... Maybe Wings should do that still.

Not a chance. I have the Griffins AHL tv package. Zadina is making progress at the AHL level against a better level of competition. They will call him up in march for a cup of coffee keeping him under nine games to protect him from the expansion draft in my opinion. But he is learning and improving at creating space for himself and being better over 200 feet. My guess is they want this kid to play with Larkin, he is learning a lot of lessons as Larkin takes the toughest matchups it is important to round him out a little. That is happening down at the AHL level, his progress since the start of the season is such that I didn't really care what he did at the WJC. His professional progress is much more important than a week long tournament where he didn't even look that bad but had zero puck luck.

I know people don't like this but a bunch of what Zadina needed to focus on to be full-time in the NHL level isn't his scoring which also has been fine the last little while at the AHL level. The offense will be there at some point he has those gifts. He needs to learn how to get open against better checkers, stronger players and better skaters. He gets that lesson more repeatedly exactly where he is.

I can go ahead and tell you this too for our big prospect people around here, this is Veleno's last year in the Q as well so enjoy him. They will put him in Grand Rapids as well next year if he doesn't make the Wings.

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Right, I'm not saying you're wrong, as I agree with most of your post. But the good news is that you can't really teach skill, and it's obvious that Zadina has tons of skill. He needs to get stronger, and get more involved physically, but that will come with experience. I still think at worst Zadina is a 60-70 point player every year. Maybe not the high-end star that we all hoped for, but he's going to be a good NHL scorer for many years.
In all fairness he's pretty young.
Yeah. Maybe a NYlander type.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Ya, even if this were the case it takes nothing away from the fact that Zadina doesn't become a better player dominating kids, many of whom willl never play pro hockey.

That's like expecting Schwarzenegger to go into the gym and get bigger curling 10s.

Sorry that point went over your head.

Playing your D+1 has worked well for a lot of better players than Zadina, not sure why it wouldn't work for him. He obviously has plenty of things to work on as evidenced by a weak tournament against his peers.

Also - absolutely brutal analogy. The irony of saying it's going over

Mallow

Jun 2, 2010
Maine
I was looking forward to seeing Zadina in person but he is a scratch tonight here in Hershey.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Playing your D+1 has worked well for a lot of better players than Zadina, not sure why it wouldn't work for him. He obviously has plenty of things to work on as evidenced by a weak tournament against his peers.

The very same tournament he dominated last year as a draft eligible player? It was 5 games, means absolutely nothing.

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Five game sample size of a team that scored a collective 9 goals. LOL.

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Five game sample size of a team that scored a collective 9 goals. LOL.
too much stock is put in the WJC. Casey Mittelstadt had a dominant tourny and has just 11 points in 42 games. Whereas a player like Boeser who had a rough WJC some years back had a dominant rookie year. Both are quite good players, but if WJC was a measuring stick for NHL success, none of that would make any sense.

Last edited:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

If eligible, a lot of those better players playing D+1 in juniors would be playing their D+1 in the AHL instead.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

He is not the best skater and needs someone to feed him the puck, we knew this but overrated him while he was playing with great linemates who did most of the dirty work.

Reactions: HOPE

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He is not the best skater and needs someone to feed him the puck, we knew this but overrated him while he was playing with great linemates who did most of the dirty work.

I agree with point #1 but not necessarily point #2.

Last year’s Halifax team did not have a MacKinnon or Hischier on it. He played mostly with Groulx as his center (IIRC) and scored 44 goals.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Last year’s Halifax team did not have a MacKinnon or Hischier on it. He played mostly with Groulx as his center (IIRC) and scored 44 goals.

Somppi, Zadina, Fortier, Lavoie, Groulx, Durandeau. With the exception of Durandeau all are National Junior team level / solid NHL prospects. They had alot of offensive zone time and for sure Zadina was put in great positions where he can score, he did not need to create offense like Cajkovic has to do on a terrible Saint John team this year. It makes prospects look better than they are but of course only he can score in some of these positions.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

wierd that you agree to this, i've said that to you plenty of time on draft day and you didn't agree at all.

no knock on Zadina once again, Elite shot,but he doesn't have much more to his arsenal, He's a complimentary winger who needs great chemistry with a player think (think Pacioretty) you need these type of player but they are the most frustrating one to watch.

and Btw his center was mostly Somppi and he was feeding zadina pretty badly, they realy connected together.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
wierd that you agree to this, i've said that to you plenty of time on draft day and you didn't agree at all.

no knock on Zadina once again, Elite shot,but he doesn't have much more to his arsenal, He's a complimentary winger who needs great chemistry with a player think (think Pacioretty) you need these type of player but they are the most frustrating one to watch.

and Btw his center was mostly Somppi and he was feeding zadina pretty badly, they realy connected together.

I’ve always said his skating is something that needs to be improved and worked on. I was agreeing specifically on the skating part of that post.

Well if he can find great chemistry with a 7th rounder, I’m not too worried. I think an increase in his skating would make him less reliant on his teammates and someone getting him the puck. It is the key thing for him to reach his potential in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: mantha39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad