F Filip Zadina (2018, 6th, DET) Part 2

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I only watched broadcasts of Czech-Russia and Czech-Canada games, not live. But for what its worth Zadina did not really disappoint me. He obviously did not set the world on fire, but Czech team is not very strong. Necas had Kaut, Zadina's linemates weren't as talented. So, it was your typical "star on the 4th line" deal. Trying to do too much by himself, including things he is not the best at, such as playmaking. He actually did better at it than I expected, but inexperience in the playmaking role was clear. At the end of the Russia game when he was with Necas and Kaut, he was dynamite.

I do think it's getting to him. One of the moments he created for himself by beating a couple of Canadian players for a scoring chance, and he shoots it straight into the goalie's chest protector :facepalm:.

Reactions: Wooren

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
I find on the 2 first game that i had a more dynamic skating than the previous year . Last year he was not my favourite prospect because in my projection he was not a driver on the line but more a finisher . If his skating can improve a little more i think he will be better than i had project

But super good post @theVladiator , people except a lot of the line , and mee too but when you have not the D-Core to procure the 3 vs 2 of 2 vs 1 , is tough the put point on the bord . Is difficult to score goal on OZP with 3 good guys on the ice vs good team like CAN

Reactions: Christien

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
I find on the 2 first game that i had a more dynamic skating than the previous year . Last year he was not my favourite prospect because in my projection he was not a driver on the line but more a finisher . If his skating can improve a little more i think he will be better than i had project
Ya I want to see more top end speed out of him too. His agility, edge work, and balance are great but he lacks separation speed

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
The only player who stands out on the Czech team is their goalie Lukas Dostal. The coaching staff is one of the worst I have ever seen, their whole strategy is hope the goalie plays like Hasek while the rest of the team chips in maybe one goal. The only thing they successfuly thaught them is to take the stupidest penalties imaginable.

Bottom line is, there is much more to Zadina's struggles than just his own play.

Reactions: Goodman68 and Rexor

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
He's a much better player this year. Doesn't look like the same kid that was playing in Halifax last year. Stronger faster and more drive to his game this year. He's progressing faster than I expected. I figured he'd have another full year in Halifax and then one or more in the AHL. He'll be in the NHL probably a year sooner than I thought.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Has this guy regressed in the last year ?

if you actually have watched the kids overall game in the past and not only stats watch him, No he's the same, always been overrated. Been saying it since april when Montreal was supposely going to draft him.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
He looks like he has no confidence in teammates (and when he was with Macchala-Hladonic, they basically never had the puck). Unlike last year, he did cover up defensively a lot for his team and otherwise he's not been a lot on the receiving end of offensive zone passes (his way).

Reactions: Red Winger 87

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
if you actually have watched the kids overall game in the past and not only stats watch him, No he's the same, always been overrated. Been saying it since april when Montreal was supposely going to draft him.
I watched all of his games last year. Close to 100 in all. He was overrated for the draft however he is an excellent prospect who was drafted right where he should have been. I don't see him as much now but he looks like a better player this year than last. I watched enough of Kotkaniemi last year to have him chosen before Zadina. It's not an embarrassment. Zadina looks like he's thriving in Detroits system. Great organization. Zadina will be there when he's ready. Kid puts a lot of pressure on himself. I don't think he needs much pep talk before each game. He's got the desire to be a winner.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
It looks to me like he's been better in his overall game and while his offensive game is somewhat struggling, he'll be back as a sniper soon enough. He's confident and hardworking.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It looks to me like he's been better in his overall game and while his offensive game is somewhat struggling, he'll be back as a sniper soon enough. He's confident and hardworking.

Ive watched parts (if not the whole game) of the Czechs this world junior and what I've seen from Zadina isnt concerning to me. His first game he looked nasty but just couldnt buy a goal even with bad line mates who werent comparable offensively. The one game I didnt like him was against Canada but the Czechs were just over matched. If hes playing with Necas maybe they have enough talent together to get a goal or two against Canada but not all by himself.

There were a few shifts where I was just watching Zadina skating up and down his wing waiting for a breakout pass and the D and other forwards on his line just literally couldnt break out of their own zone. I think the last game I watched Zadina has started trying to do a bit much himself but thats likely the reason as well. If he had potted a couple goals at this point no one would even be mentioning him though and hes been snake bitten. Playng strong defensively and on the back check.

I'm more talking the positives about why I'm not worried, hes not a perfect prospect and he still needs to put the puck in the net so it hasnt been an amazing tournament for him. I wouldnt say these 4 games have any bearing on my long term outlook for him at all though. It'll be interesting to see what he does the next few games. Maybe their coach can reunite Necas and Zadina so the tem scores more thanone goal a game

Reactions: Red Winger 87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad