F Brayden Yager - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2023, 14th, PIT)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That's what I thought too but everywhere I look people are knocking his skating & calling it a concern?

Seems to build speed pretty well with his crossovers to me

I think what they might be referring to is he doesn't diversify his skating much, but I think he'll learn that through development. His acceleration and speed are really good.. not sure about agility and edges because that really hasn't been his game, he's a straight line player with a deadly shot.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I did a little write up on him and was really impressed with what I saw. He brings a well-rounded two-way game and was one of the best draft eligible players in the WHL. Right up there with Benson and Danielson. As far as pro-projection goes, he is only 5'11" and I can see him getting moved to the wing. I see him as a 2nd line two-way winger that scores 50-60 points a year. Surprisingly for his size, I think he is a high-floor low-ceiling guy. His two-way play is way better than most draft prospects that get credited as being "two-way" guys.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I did a little write up on him and was really impressed with what I saw. He brings a well-rounded two-way game and was one of the best draft eligible players in the WHL. Right up there with Benson and Danielson. As far as pro-projection goes, he is only 5'11" and I can see him getting moved to the wing. I see him as a 2nd line two-way winger that scores 50-60 points a year. Surprisingly for his size, I think he is a high-floor low-ceiling guy. His two-way play is way better than most draft prospects that get credited as being "two-way" guys.

Would he fit well with someone like Huberdeau? Or would Benson/Danielson be better (Well Benson's not dropping that far)?

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Would he fit well with someone like Huberdeau? Or would Benson/Danielson be better (Well Benson's not dropping that far)?
I actually see Benson getting drafted after Danielson. I think there's a chance Benson slides to the Flames due to his size and speed, but more likely than not, both will be gone by #16. Yager is the type of forward that can play with anybody. If I were a coach, I'd put Yager in the same place I'd put Leonard. Yager has a completely different style, but they are both net positive two-way players with great goal scoring abilities. Yager has outstanding complimentary qualities that can be used as a 3rd player on a line with 2 players that have chemistry.

For example, if you had someone like Huberdeau paired with another offensive minded center, Yager would be someone you could add to the line on the wing. Keep in mind Yager is still 3ish years away from the NHL and I don't see him playing on an NHL powerplay.

Reactions: The Old Master

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Any similarities to Point outside of the obvious (team/name)? I keep reading about two-way play, good skating, clutch scoring, etc and can't help but keep drawing back to Point. I get that he's more powerful and plays bigger, but seems like everything else falls in line.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Any similarities to Point outside of the obvious (team/name)? I keep reading about two-way play, good skating, clutch scoring, etc and can't help but keep drawing back to Point. I get that he's more powerful and plays bigger, but seems like everything else falls in line.
I don't see it. A smaller Brandon Saad is what comes to mind for me.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
If anyone's going to be close to Point's level, it's going to be Benson. Different play style, but similar frames, skill, and competitiveness.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Yager sort of reminds me of Mike Hoffman as far as offensive skillset, in the sense that he does have excellent weapons in his straight line speed and satisfying wrister, but he isn't very deceptive and could be dependent on the PP and rush offense for his production. Least he cares more defensively than Hoffman.

My feeling is he's not a top tier prospect but should have a decent career, including one season where he randomly scores around 40 goals.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
What is your opinion on Heidt's two-way game?

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
What is your opinion on Heidt's two-way game?
I haven't watched Heidt too recently and only caught a few games of him overall. I really love Heidts skillset and of all the players that have the "small and weak" stigma, Heidt is one of my favorites.

I find that Heidt gets outmuscled way too often in junior leagues and will need a ton of bulking up to do. When you compare Yager to Heidt, it is quite evident that Yager is the more dominating and impactful in every facet except playmaking. Heidt has really nice hands and high-end playmaking abilities. The problem with Heidt is his ability to use his body to defend. If he has to go into the corner and use his body to win a battle, he will disappoint you. Add in his small size and the future isn't too promising.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I haven't watched Heidt too recently and only caught a few games of him overall. I really love Heidts skillset and of all the players that have the "small and weak" stigma, Heidt is one of my favorites.

I find that Heidt gets outmuscled way too often in junior leagues and will need a ton of bulking up to do. When you compare Yager to Heidt, it is quite evident that Yager is the more dominating and impactful in every facet except playmaking. Heidt has really nice hands and high-end playmaking abilities. The problem with Heidt is his ability to use his body to defend. If he has to go into the corner and use his body to win a battle, he will disappoint you. Add in his small size and the future isn't too promising.

I hope Yager can properly develop and blossom into a 2-way center. Huberdeau-Yager-Coronato would be a dream. Two shooting threats, one transition player, one elite playmaker, and one great forechecker.

Reactions: Castle8130

Blues16W

Jun 18, 2023
I actually see Benson getting drafted after Danielson. I think there's a chance Benson slides to the Flames due to his size and speed, but more likely than not, both will be gone by #16. Yager is the type of forward that can play with anybody. If I were a coach, I'd put Yager in the same place I'd put Leonard. Yager has a completely different style, but they are both net positive two-way players with great goal scoring abilities. Yager has outstanding complimentary qualities that can be used as a 3rd player on a line with 2 players that have chemistry.

For example, if you had someone like Huberdeau paired with another offensive minded center, Yager would be someone you could add to the line on the wing. Keep in mind Yager is still 3ish years away from the NHL and I don't see him playing on an NHL powerplay.
will respectfully disagree with your assessment on Yager, why wouldn't he be on an nhl pp?? His elite shot alone will land him on a pp, that thing is wicked.

Second, his two-way game was awesome all year and better than most guys who are considered to be two-way guys in draft, extremely diligent back checking and being responsible and he was around 53% in the faceoff dot I believe, that SCREAMS center, other than his size.

And 50-60 points is what I believe to be his absolute floor, which being a 60 point guy who is also extremely responsible and good defensively would be very valuable, I just think there's a 70 point plus potential in there while being extremely good defensively as a top second line center. And personally want my Blues to select him 10th.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Would not surprise me in the least if he cracks the top 10 still, or goes in that 11-13 range (VAN, ARI, BUF.) I've seen a lot of mocks that have him going in the late teens and if that does happen, some team is getting a huge steal. There's a cluster of players in the 8-20 range that could go in any order, so he very well could drop if teams like another player better that's on the board. But I would not be shocked at all if a team like Detroit grabs him at 9.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Is Yager a perennial 70 pt guy if he stays at center and plays with talented wingers? Is he a play driver? Would he be the future Preds #1 center??

Anything is possible as far as production. Personally, I don't find he's even a play driver at the WHL level yet so I find it hard to project him as such. Seems like his role should be more support based if he can continue to improve defensively.

A highly talented play driver who excels at getting pucks through the slot and finding sliding players can make great use of Yager's shot, especially on the powerplay.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Pittsburgh got a good one. Pains me to see this as a Rangers' fan.

Yager trains/skates once or twice a week with former Penguin Shane Endicott in the off-season. Didn't think there was a chance he would drop past the Penguins. Surprised the Wings went Danielson over Yager at 9, but I guess time will tell.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad