F Brayden Yager - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2023, 14th, PIT)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
What do ppl see as his higher end upside, if he really pans out? I’m thinking … maybe a sort of midpoint between Kyle Connor and Logan Couture?

Reactions: ginomini

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
What do ppl see as his higher end upside, if he really pans out? I’m thinking … maybe a sort of midpoint between Kyle Connor and Logan Couture?
MacKinnon-lite. I’ve liked that comp for a while.

I really hope he falls to the Pens - it’s crazy to me that it seems like a real possibility.

Reactions: Bubbles

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
High end?

The speed and shot are very similar to Steven Stamkos. It would not surprise me to see him hit a PPG during his career and flirt with 40 goal seasons.

Low end would obviously be bust. I could see mid point being something close to Jonathan Marchessault

The kid should be top 5 IMO.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Crazy to see the positive comments about Yager since the playoffs started when all season long he was getting criticized.

He is still one of the most polarizing prospects in this draft due to his inconsistent play. I’ve said it all year, some games he looks like a top 5 pick and some games he looks like he might not go in the first round. I have him at #13 on my rankings because I like his tools but not so much his consistency. He needs to be more consistent and make better choices with the puck at times. I think he has a real chance to be a breakout player next year with his skill set.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I don’t really see this, prime Patches was a borderline power forward, Yager is a finesse player.

Yager is a power forward with a finesse players size

Stylistically, Yager reminds me of Taylor Hall, he obviously doesn't have that upside though. He also doesn't have Hall's frame. His game is simple. Skate and shoot. The finer details and on ice awareness are lacking. He's far to individualistic. He's gotten away with it his whole life because of talent level, but that will catch up to him. He does have a great attitude and work ethic. I think he knows he needs to develop his game and has been working on it. Also as others have mentioned he has stepped up in the playoffs. I value that

He's in the 25-35 range for me. I do like him. This draft is stacked though and I like other names more. With that said, I think he goes 15-20 on draft day

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Stylistically, Yager reminds me of Taylor Hall, he obviously doesn't have that upside though. He also doesn't have Hall's frame. His game is simple. Skate and shoot. The finer details and on ice awareness are lacking. He's far to individualistic. He's gotten away with it his whole life because of talent level, but that will catch up to him. He does have a great attitude and work ethic. I think he knows he needs to develop his game and has been working on it. Also as others have mentioned he has stepped up in the playoffs. I value that

He's in the 25-35 range for me. I do like him. This draft is stacked though and I like other names more. With that said, I think he goes 15-20 on draft day
Do you have your top 15 posted anywhere? You seem to have watched a lot this season, I'd be curious!

ginomini

May 25, 2014

I think this description is pretty on point. And its pretty much exactly a description of Pacioretty.

Straight line speed and quick release. Pacioretty was never a power forward, I mean he did not get the nickname Casperetty out of nowhere lol.

I think Yager has a solid upside as an offensive complementary finisher who's really good but will not be the top forward on a contender. À la Pacioretty, Kessel, Hall, Jeff Carter (?), Duchene, etc.

Stylistically a mix of that group. A solid player, but not one I would go for before those who have more potential to be a more central piece in the make up of a lineup. I have him 10-16 range personally.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
The 8-16 range in this draft is going to be really interesting to watch, really is a crapshoot.

Moore, Dvorsky, Sale. Cristall, Yager, ASP, Barlow, Danielson, Leonard are really hard to predict, but any one of them could be massive steals if they fall. I'd imagine a few others are mixed in with this group as well.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Do you have your top 15 posted anywhere? You seem to have watched a lot this season, I'd be curious!

I usually post a draft list on Twitter. I collaborate with a friend of mine

I don't have a finalized top 15

Here's what I have as of today:

1 - Connor Bedard
2 - Adam Fantilli
3 - Matvei Michkov
4 - Leo Carlsson
5 - Oliver Moore
6 - Nate Danielson
7 - David Reinbacher
8 - Dmitri Simashev
9 - Zach Benson
10 - Andrew Cristall
11 - Will Smith
12 - Ryan Leonard
13 - Daniil But
14 - Riley Heidt
15 - Gavin Brindley

That was difficult. This draft is truly insane

I don't want to derail the Yager talk so I'll add this. In terms of the goal scoring wings in this draft. I wouldn't touch Yager before Wood or Barlow and neither cracked my top 15. My hot take out of the WHL is that I'd take both Sawchyn and Ziemmer ahead of Yager. Those two are slept on hard. I say all that while maintaining that I like Yager quite a bit

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I usually post a draft list on Twitter. I collaborate with a friend of mine

I don't have a finalized top 15

Here's what I have as of today:

1 - Connor Bedard
2 - Adam Fantilli
3 - Matvei Michkov
4 - Leo Carlsson
5 - Oliver Moore
6 - Nate Danielson
7 - David Reinbacher
8 - Dmitri Simashev
9 - Zach Benson
10 - Andrew Cristall
11 - Will Smith
12 - Ryan Leonard
13 - Daniil But
14 - Riley Heidt
15 - Gavin Brindley

That was difficult. This draft is truly insane

I don't want to derail the Yager talk so I'll add this. In terms of the goal scoring wings in this draft. I wouldn't touch Yager before Wood or Barlow and neither cracked my top 15. My hot take out of the WHL is that I'd take both Sawchyn and Ziemmer ahead of Yager. Those two are slept on hard. I say all that while maintaining that I like Yager quite a bit
Thanks so much! I had a feeling I'd be keen on your top 15 -- anyone who has Simashev in the top 10 is someone I tend to trust a little more than others :)

On the other hand, pretty shocked by Cristall so high too -- you might be the only person I've seen with both Simashev and Cristall in their top 20, much less their top 10.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Thanks so much! I had a feeling I'd be keen on your top 15 -- anyone who has Simashev in the top 10 is someone I tend to trust a little more than others :)

On the other hand, pretty shocked by Cristall so high too -- you might be the only person I've seen with both Simashev and Cristall in their top 20, much less their top 10.

My top 10:

1. Bedard
2. Michkov
3. Fantilli
4. Carlsson
5. Benson
6. Cristall
7. Smith
8. Moore
9. Simashev
10. Gulyayev

Think Simashev will be the one that got away for D-needy teams this year, though Reinbacher is 11th and is also a neat grab.

For the sake of this thread, I have Yager at #27.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
My top 10:

1. Bedard
2. Michkov
3. Fantilli
4. Carlsson
5. Benson
6. Cristall
7. Smith
8. Moore
9. Simashev
10. Gulyayev

Think Simashev will be the one that got away for D-needy teams this year, though Reinbacher is 11th and is also a neat grab.

For the sake of this thread, I have Yager at #27.
Interesting! Sounds like I spoke too soon on my Simashev/Cristall claim.

I do remember you agreeing on Simashev and singing his praises a bit over in his thread...didn't peg you as a Cristall guy, however.

Sounds like this draft will be ever more all-over-the-place after the top 5 than even last year. Yager could go 11th or 21st and no one would bat an eye either way.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Wow, I didn't realize this kid was being slept on this hard. Some of the best tools in the draft and a very projectable player IMO, no way I would let him slip past 15th OV, I have him at 9
Most people seem to have this same thought about a a player or two who's looking like they're outside of the top 8 or 9 consensus. Everyone has a guy they can't believe everyone else has ranked outside of the top 15.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00