F Brayden Yager - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2023, 14th, PIT)

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Continues to produce for Moose Jaw, but I’m still not thinking he is a total home run prospect. Am I wrong?
He has pretty much all the tools you’d want in an elite player. But, he’s going to need to be more consistent. He needs to utilize his tools more efficiently and make better decisions.

He could be a phenomenal player but he could also be a dud. I’m a big fan of Yager.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Continues to produce for Moose Jaw, but I’m still not thinking he is a total home run prospect. Am I wrong?
Has his game changed that much from last year? He scored a little more but he's on a good team and is a pretty high 1st rounder in the WHL...so you expect him to score.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He's in the Jost/Krebs territory for me - not saying he's going to bust but he's in the same territory.

Good toolkit but nothing really stands out. He's going to need to improve his skating to move up to a blue-chip prospect imo, as I don't think his hockey IQ is high enough to make up for his skating ability.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Also he's a elite skater so that take is something
He's going to need to improve his skating to move up to a blue-chip prospect imo, as I don't think his hockey IQ is high enough to make up for his skating ability.

HF scouting reports in a nut shell.

One of you will be correct. Unless his skating is just average, then you’re both wrong.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
He's in the Jost/Krebs territory for me - not saying he's going to bust but he's in the same territory.

Good toolkit but nothing really stands out. He's going to need to improve his skating to move up to a blue-chip prospect imo, as I don't think his hockey IQ is high enough to make up for his skating ability.

Did you pick those two players out of thin air? They're not even similar players, other than "busting" and Krebs is way too young to declare that he is a bust.

Yager's one of the best skaters in the WHL so the rest of your post really doesn't matter anymore.

HF scouting reports in a nut shell.

One of you will be correct. Unless his skating is just average, then you’re both wrong.

Landy's one of the most dedicated WHL watchers here and the other guy I've never seen in this forum. To each his own.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Uh… his shot doesn’t stand out? How is his skating bad? This is the first time anybody’s ever said that. Are you talking about the right player

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Did you pick those two players out of thin air? They're not even similar players, other than "busting" and Krebs is way too young to declare that he is a bust.

Yager's one of the best skaters in the WHL so the rest of your post really doesn't matter anymore.
If you prefer, we can use a player like Newhook as an example instead.

I also never said any of them were busts, but they all dealt with similar issues. They look great at lower levels, but their skating isn't good enough to play the way they want in the NHL.

Yager needs to improve his skating before I consider him a blue-chip prospect. Being one of the best skaters in the WHL doesn't mean much imo. Having a good shot is fine, but if you can't make space for yourself it doesn't matter.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If you prefer, we can use a player like Newhook as an example instead.

I also never said any of them were busts, but they all dealt with similar issues. They look great at lower levels, but their skating isn't good enough to play the way they want in the NHL.

Yager needs to improve his skating before I consider him a blue-chip prospect. Being one of the best skaters in the WHL doesn't mean much imo. Having a good shot is fine, but if you can't make space for yourself it doesn't matter.
Newhook is an incredible skater, that is the least of his problems.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If you consider Newhook an incredible skater I guess therein lies the issue.
Man just stop it. Newhook is an excellent skater, it always has been his main strenght.

You are the only person in the world who thinks Newhook is not a good skater.

Reactions: Bubbles

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I feel like McCann has been the common comparison thrown towards Yager that I've seen. I think Yager may have a better chance at sticking at C than McCann, but I'm unsure that Yager has the 40 goal upside that McCann has shown.

I'd guess he would fall in "good top-6 winger or good 2C" upside territory. Maybe not a pure top line guy but a 30-30 top-6 guy seems reasonable.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Man just stop it. Newhook is an excellent skater, it always has been his main strenght.

You are the only person in the world who thinks Newhook is not a good skater.
Every single Avs fan who have watched him the past 3 years will say the same.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Every single Avs fan who have watched him the past 3 years will say the same.
I doubt so.

"Skating
Newhook has game-breaking talent. His speed is amongst the best in the class, and he has the acceleration, edgework, and agility to go with it. Newhook makes skating look effortless, almost as if he’s gliding above the ice. He is deadly off the rush, as he can beat defenders in a multitude of ways. His speed makes him a threat to blow by a defender to the outside and cut to the net. He can also make a quick change of direction and cut to the inside of the ice. Newhook can also slow down to open up a shooting lane and use a defender as a screen. He is strong on his skates and has good balance for his age. This can improve with more muscle going forward."

"Newhook is an incredible skater, comfortable shooting at top speed like Nate MacKinnon is. Prior to last season’s draft, prospect analysts pegged him as the draft’s second-fastest skater behind only top overall pick Jack Hughes.

His decisiveness and agility at speed make him the stuff of nightmares for opposing defenses."

Newhook’s footwork, agility and heel-to-heel skating are high, high-end. He can skate circles around the opposition if he wants to

EPrinkside.com 2019

A terrific skater with excellent balance and agility. He has powerful strides that allow him to accelerate quickly and blow by defenders

McKeen's Hockey 2019

But yeah, for sure EVERYONE AGREES WITH YOU. Newhook is not a great skater. lol

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I doubt so.

"Skating
Newhook has game-breaking talent. His speed is amongst the best in the class, and he has the acceleration, edgework, and agility to go with it. Newhook makes skating look effortless, almost as if he’s gliding above the ice. He is deadly off the rush, as he can beat defenders in a multitude of ways. His speed makes him a threat to blow by a defender to the outside and cut to the net. He can also make a quick change of direction and cut to the inside of the ice. Newhook can also slow down to open up a shooting lane and use a defender as a screen. He is strong on his skates and has good balance for his age. This can improve with more muscle going forward."

"Newhook is an incredible skater, comfortable shooting at top speed like Nate MacKinnon is. Prior to last season’s draft, prospect analysts pegged him as the draft’s second-fastest skater behind only top overall pick Jack Hughes.

His decisiveness and agility at speed make him the stuff of nightmares for opposing defenses."

But yeah, for sure EVERYONE AGREES WITH YOU. Newhook is not a great skater. lol
Why are you bringing up scouting reports from his draft year? You can find the exact same articles on Jost in his draft year. Newhook is a great technical skater, but his overall skating at the NHL level is slightly above average at best.

If you want to see what the fanbase who watched him for 3 years after his draft thought of his skating - Confirmed with Link: - Avs Sign Alex Newhook to ELC

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Why are you bringing up scouting reports from his draft year? You can find the exact same articles on Jost in his draft year. Newhook is a great technical skater, but his overall skating at the NHL level is slightly above average at best.

If you want to see what the fanbase who watched him for 3 years after his draft thought of his skating - Confirmed with Link: - Avs Sign Alex Newhook to ELC
Enough with that bullsh**.

I've watched hockey for 40 years, and Newhook is an awesome skater. He is fast AND agile. He has many warts, but skating certainly isn't one. Everybody agrees but you, stop now. It is comical at this point.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yager was compared to Mackinnon because of his shot and skating. Don't see the same upside but a poor mans maybe. Similar upside as Barzal more likely

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Enough with that bullsh**.

I've watched hockey for 40 years, and Newhook is an awesome skater. He is fast AND agile. He has many warts, but skating certainly isn't one. Everybody agrees but you, stop now. It is comical at this point.
Well, I tried. Another person to add to the block list I guess.

Reactions: Michoulicious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad