F Brayden Yager - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2023, 14th, PIT)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This is who I wanted at #16 for the Flames. Makes for the 4th straight year the player I had hoped to draft was taken 1 or 2 spots in front of Calgary's. I guess thats how it goes.

Great skating, maybe a little choppy but picks up speed well. Quality motor, never gives up on pucks.
and an absolute piss missile of a wrister. I dunno if he'll be a C at the pro level but definitely have him marked as an NHL top 6 fwd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lavar Ball

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Moose Jaw got Mateychuk back from Columbus so that'll probably give their offense a boost.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Mateychuk lol. Yager looks good at times but it’ll take him so time to develop. Firkus is the better playmaker but Yager for sure has the better overall tools.
Makes sense. Not a lot of 5v5 in Yager’s early production.

After camp I’d love to see him add another gear to the skating. He’s a good skater but a bit more explosiveness/dynamism would go a long way.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Makes sense. Not a lot of 5v5 in Yager’s early production.

After camp I’d love to see him add another gear to the skating. He’s a good skater but a bit more explosiveness/dynamism would go a long way.
I think he has a very high ceiling. He just has to realize his potential. He can get there. He definitely shows flashes of it.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Why is there so little attention paid to Yager?
His production didn't explode in his DY and has been just fine to good in his D+1. Plus, Penguins fans, while excited about him, aren't focused on a rebuild yet, so they're not talking about him as much as fans of a team currently in a rebuild would. And even though the Penguins have a big fanbase for a US team, it's still not on the level of most Canadian teams, who have the amount of fans to hype up their prospects on a consistent basis.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Raised this question in the Pens forum but anyone know if Yager is able to jump to the AHL next season?

In theory he’s playing his 4th full season in the WHL right now (played 100% of Moose Jaw games in 2020-21), and is a Jan 3rd bday.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Raised this question in the Pens forum but anyone know if Yager is able to jump to the AHL next season?

In theory he’s playing his 4th full season in the WHL right now (played 100% of Moose Jaw games in 2020-21), and is a Jan 3rd bday.
He and the Penguins would have to apply for a waiver (like the Kraken did with Wright). I'm guessing Yager will get the 9 game sample look with the Penguins in 2024-25 and then they'll make a decision. Probably goes back to junior, but we will see.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was half expecting this to be about Yager's part in tonight's MJ comeback from being down 3-0 to a late 5-3 lead. But Chloe Cherry lips is also a choice.

Reactions: Turin and Jacob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad