F Brayden Yager - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2023, 14th, PIT)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Best prospect from Saskatchewan I've ever seen(including Catton for next year). Him and Heidt have similar skill sets but what sets Yager apart from everyone is his insane hockey IQ. He can think the game better than most of the best WHLers already. Bedard is more flashy but there's a couple WHL teams who currently prefer Yager and wouldn't be surprised if he goes 1st. I highly doubt he'll get exceptional but should be a impact player in his 16 year old year. Doesn't throw as many hits as Heidt but still plays a physical style and likes to give some subtle shots when the refs aren't looking. Hoping he stays in the Eastern Conference and doesn't go to Prince George or Seattle.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Best prospect from Saskatchewan I've ever seen(including Catton for next year). Him and Heidt have similar skill sets but what sets Yager apart from everyone is his insane hockey IQ. He can think the game better than most of the best WHLers already. Bedard is more flashy but there's a couple WHL teams who currently prefer Yager and wouldn't be surprised if he goes 1st. I highly doubt he'll get exceptional but should be a impact player in his 16 year old year. Doesn't throw as many hits as Heidt but still plays a physical style and likes to give some subtle shots when the refs aren't looking. Hoping he stays in the Eastern Conference and doesn't go to Prince George or Seattle.

Wasn't Jaden Schwartz from SBAAHL?

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
How would you rank the 3? Between Yager, Catton and Heidt?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
How would you rank the 3? Between Yager, Catton and Heidt?
In the order you listed them in. Obviously Catton will still have to improve to get to Heidts ability but with how he's improved from last year to this year I imagine he'll be the better player(all 3 should be special though). Catton is the early front runner for 1st in 2021 but there are other kids who'll challenge him for that spot including another high end Sask kid Buczkowski

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
In the order you listed them in. Obviously Catton will still have to improve to get to Heidts ability but with how he's improved from last year to this year I imagine he'll be the better player(all 3 should be special though). Catton is the early front runner for 1st in 2021 but there are other kids who'll challenge him for that spot including another high end Sask kid Buczkowski
The number of truly exceptional players coming up from Saskatchewan right now is incredible. There have been times where there was not anyone on that level for years, and there’s, like, a dozen to get excited about right now. Great to see. I think Adam Beckman could be a huge steal for Minnesota going forward, too.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Neither Yager nor Heidt were ppg in the SMHL, aren't they only one year younger than most of their competition? I could be missing something as I'm not too familiar with the league but wouldn't two players applying for exceptional status have much better numbers?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
most of the players in the Sask Midget AAA league are 16+17. The few 15 year olds are almost all kids who are whl picks or listed. On the Contacts the only 2 15 years olds were Korchinski taken 10th by Seattle and Spencer taken 50th by Kamloops who fell because he's undersized. It's a very tough league to make as a 15 year old let alone 14.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
most of the players in the Sask Midget AAA league are 16+17. The few 15 year olds are almost all kids who are whl picks or listed. On the Contacts the only 2 15 years olds were Korchinski taken 10th by Seattle and Spencer taken 50th by Kamloops who fell because he's undersized. It's a very tough league to make as a 15 year old let alone 14.
This, plus it’s some of the most structured and defensively tight leagues of that age I have seen. Probably the top of that list.

Reactions: d rake

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This, plus it’s some of the most structured and defensively tight leagues of that age I have seen. Probably the top of that list.

Sask hockey is all about defence first mentality. I sometimes wonder if this is why there aren't many high end offensive kids coming out of Sask.

Reactions: Dominance

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Good to know, thanks .

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Sask hockey is all about defence first mentality. I sometimes wonder if this is why there aren't many high end offensive kids coming out of Sask.
Yeah, even the more skilled guys are all responsible in their own end. Hopefully Beckman, Yager, Heidt, Catton, etc. are signs of a new wave that adds top-end offensive ability to that two-way play.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Yager stays in Saskatchewan after getting chosen 3rd overall by the Moose Jaw Warriors in the WHL Bantam draft. Will exciting to watch him battle the other Sask team and face off against Regina and Connor Bedard soon.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yager and Ben Riche are going to be deadly together. Yager didn't want to go to PG and Heidt was willing to

That's exactly what I hoped would happen. Warriors might be building a decent team two or 3 years. No doubt we will miss out on playoffs next year as well.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm actually really excited about this pick. Warriors will be a decent team possibly in about 2 years. We seem to have a knack for developing Braydens :sarcasm: (Point, Tracey) hopefully Yager can be a real high end player for us.

Only trouble we may have is Regina and Winnipeg will also likely be good teams about the time we are peaking so it may be pretty rough in the prairies. Brandon always finds a way to be competitive, Saskatoon should still have some decent players then, PA always seems to be a big and well coached team. Swift is the only teams whose future looks bleak after pretty much going all in a few years prior.

Kid has speed, a good shot, good hands and plays a smart game.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Yager and Heidt , are currently playing while Bedard is missing playing time, you'd have to think this gives them an slight advantage development wise

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00