F Brayden Yager - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2023, 14th, PIT)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
People always wanted Patches to use his size/strength more, but he still had much more of a power game than Yager. He was 6'2" 203 lbs on draft day (source: 2007 CSB FINAL (NA SKATERS)), while Yager is 6' 166 lbs - 2" and 37 pounds is a huge size difference. Same-age Patches hit way more, and much harder, than Yager, and ploughing through guys with strength on the way to the net was a much bigger part of Patches' game. Yager also likes to take the puck to the net, but he doesn't plough through guys, he mostly just skates around them with speed, and uses the leg to fend off last ditch swipes at the puck, once he's already by his man. And he really doesn't hit much.

I can see some similarities - both snipers, both pretty north/south players, both like to beat you wide to the net, but there are major differences too. Patches a lot bigger, relies much more on power elements in his game, while Yager is well ahead of same-age Patches in skating, and I'd say has a hockey IQ edge on same-age Patches too.

IMO, a "OK but a bit disappointing" outcome for Yager would be a Jared McCann type, while a "developed really well, hit near peak upside" would be more of a midway point between Kyle Connor and Logan Couture. Don't really see the Patches comp - people always wanted more from Patches in terms of physicality/nastiness, as well as consistent compete level, but he was still much more of a power forward than Yager will be.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Wow, I didn't realize this kid was being slept on this hard. Some of the best tools in the draft and a very projectable player IMO, no way I would let him slip past 15th OV, I have him at 9

I think that speaks to to the quality of this draft though. I don't feel like I'm sleeping on him and if someone has him 10-15, I won't argue it. However, I do think top ten is a stretch with the names available

As someone who grew up in a WHL city and has been a die hard fan since the 90's this is the best WHL draft crop I've ever seen. I think that extends beyond the WHL as well. This draft is incredible. I've seen some say it's top loaded, I disagree, Going into round three there will be high quality still available.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
People always wanted Patches to use his size/strength more, but he still had much more of a power game than Yager. He was 6'2" 203 lbs on draft day (source: 2007 CSB FINAL (NA SKATERS)), while Yager is 6' 166 lbs - 2" and 37 pounds is a huge size difference. Same-age Patches hit way more, and much harder, than Yager, and ploughing through guys with strength on the way to the net was a much bigger part of Patches' game. Yager also likes to take the puck to the net, but he doesn't plough through guys, he mostly just skates around them with speed, and uses the leg to fend off last ditch swipes at the puck, once he's already by his man. And he really doesn't hit much.

I can see some similarities - both snipers, both pretty north/south players, both like to beat you wide to the net, but there are major differences too. Patches a lot bigger, relies much more on power elements in his game, while Yager is well ahead of same-age Patches in skating, and I'd say has a hockey IQ edge on same-age Patches too.

IMO, a "OK but a bit disappointing" outcome for Yager would be a Jared McCann type, while a "developed really well, hit near peak upside" would be more of a midway point between Kyle Connor and Logan Couture. Don't really see the Patches comp - people always wanted more from Patches in terms of physicality/nastiness, as well as consistent compete level, but he was still much more of a power forward than Yager will be.
Pacioretty used to play a lot more physical when he was younger.
He toned it down a lot after Chara broke his neck.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Really? I don't see that at all.

Offensive game centered around rush offense, ability to beat a goaltender one vs one, ability to outskate defenders and take over the middle or the outside. Limited use of playmaking (Though Yager seems to be better.), limited use of physicality in puck pursuit, sound two way game.

He is literally the same player Pacioretty was from 2013 to 2018.

Patches did not plow through guys. At least not after 2013, and certainly not after he got suspended for the Letang hit. After 2014 he morphed into a sniper and that's what he was.

Here's a small article about him and his play in 2013:
At 6’2″ and 217 pounds he is considered a power forward on paper, and has been touted as such since his AHL years. However, I’ll argue that’s not his game. He’s fast, and big, yet I’d argue the much smaller Brendan Gallagher plays more of a power forward style than Max.

I find Pacioretty has an increasing tendency to test defenseman to the outside, along the boards, using his speed to his advantage. Less frequently than earlier in his career does he make an inside move or drive to the net.

Yes, theres a size difference, but they create offense in the same way, skating and shooting. The comparison wasn't a "same age" thing, it was about NHL comparables. In the NHL Pacioretty is an elite scorer and elite goalscoring game off the rush, and he has a somewhat simple game. Just like Yager.

Pacioretty was a playmaker when he was drafted, his shot was actually a weakness-ish.

Reactions: ginomini

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I think that speaks to to the quality of this draft though. I don't feel like I'm sleeping on him and if someone has him 10-15, I won't argue it. However, I do think top ten is a stretch with the names available

As someone who grew up in a WHL city and has been a die hard fan since the 90's this is the best WHL draft crop I've ever seen. I think that extends beyond the WHL as well. This draft is incredible. I've seen some say it's top loaded, I disagree, Going into round three there will be high quality still available.
You are 100% sleeping on him, he's a top 5 talent for me. The only part I agree with you is best WHL class ever

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
The fact that he may be available at 14 blows my mind, he’s a gamer.
Most of peoples rankings with him in the teens were before this playoff performance. It's definitely earned him a bump on my list, and you'll definitely see him rise on others as they come out.

Reactions: Mercedes Benn

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
Which is 100% due to their own stupid choices.
yeah they're not innocent, I just say that make a big difference in this series. If they aren't suspended, ice won't face warriors in the second round. If they aren't allowed to back playing playoffs, warriors won't be such a strong team.

Reactions: Dominance

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Which is 100% due to their own stupid choices.
So what exactly is the suspensions for? A google search didn’t reveal much. If it is what I think it is, I would have expected players to be kicked off the team and legal action taken

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
So what exactly is the suspensions for? A google search didn’t reveal much. If it is what I think it is, I would have expected players to be kicked off the team and legal action taken
I’ve heard a rumour on what it was and it’s not great. I’m not posting publicly (or DMs) in case my info is wrong, so believe what you want. Based on what I heard, yeah.. not greattt.

Reactions: Henry Miller

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
For me Yager has all the tools, perhaps none are at an elite level but overall they're very good. His regular season production was odd so him crushing the playoffs is great. I was thinking he'd fall a bit but not anymore, he'll probably find a suitor within the top 10 and rightfully so especially if they think they can have him develop at centre

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
For me Yager has all the tools, perhaps none are at an elite level but overall they're very good. His regular season production was odd so him crushing the playoffs is great. I was thinking he'd fall a bit but not anymore, he'll probably find a suitor within the top 10 and rightfully so especially if they think they can have him develop at centre

He's a great skater with a high-end shot.. that should get you in the conversation after the big 4.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
At least we who were high on him all the time can brag a little here now that he is appearing to be quite a clutch dude. I don't see him falling out of top 10 in the draft.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad