Speculation: Expansion draft - who are you protecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hyman also has a pdo of 105.9 this season...
Anyone paying for that level of offense for a guy whose about to enter his 30s is going to be in for a very rude Awakening sooner rather than later.

I still expect the Leafs and him to come to a very reasonable compromise after the expansion draft.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Get Tavares to waive no movement under the assumption his contract isn’t want in Seattle during this pandemic.

Matthews
Marner
Nylander

Reilly
Muzzin
Brodie
Holl
Dermott

Campbell

Does that work?
If Tavares is exposed, he will be getting picked. It's not like Seattle is up against the cap

Reactions: TML Dynasty

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Do not want to lose Hyman. I'm probably in the minority, but if it came down to either Hyman or Nylander, I'd keep Hyman.

Ultimately, if Hyman's salary requirements escalate to the point of it having to be a choice between Nylander and him (possibly somewhere in the mid 4s).. it really doesn't make sense to keep him as much as he is a "glue guy" on tihs team.

Realistically, Tanner Pearson is a reasonable comparable (40+ points 3 in out of the last 4 completed seasons, including 21 goals and 45 points in 69 games before covid hit), and he just signed for $3.25m x 3 years. It seems logical that when dealing with players of this type at age 28, a 4th or 5th year would be considered a risk by the team; although likely in better economic and cap circumstances.

Assuming Hyman comes in around the Kerfoot range, it's simply going to mean the door for Alex Kerfoot, with Hyman's current salary available for a 3rd line C.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Ultimately, if Hyman's salary requirements escalate to the point of it having to be a choice between Nylander and him (possibly somewhere in the mid 4s).. it really doesn't make sense to keep him as much as he is a "glue guy" on tihs team.

Realistically, Tanner Pearson is a reasonable comparable (40+ points 3 in out of the last 4 completed seasons, including 21 goals and 45 points in 69 games before covid hit), and he just signed for $3.25m x 3 years. It seems logical that when dealing with players of this type at age 28, a 4th or 5th year would be considered a risk by the team; although likely in better economic and cap circumstances.

Assuming Hyman comes in around the Kerfoot range, it's simply going to mean the door for Alex Kerfoot, with Hyman's current salary available for a 3rd line C.
I'm okay with that.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

is it you, Jimbo? :huh:
Canucks GM is as dumb as Chiarelli. He let Toffoli (19 goals, 4.25 AAV) walk, but re-sign Pearson(11 pts, 3.25 AAV). Hyman should be low ~3M AAV most.

Reactions: Beleafer34

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
No way Francis picks Hyman & loses him back to the Leafs for nothing.

I have no idea why this discussion on Seattle taking Hyman is still going. From Seattle's perspective, they could:

1. Draft a good young defenseman like Travis Dermott.
2. If they're looking at too many defensemen available and not enough forwards, they can get a decent forward in Alex Kerfoot who is probably better than the forwards a lot of other teams will leave exposed.
3. Draft a UFA in Zach Hyman who we believe wants to stay in Toronto. In their two-day window to negotiate they would have to back up the truck to pay him because otherwise, why would Hyman sign there? He can wait two days, then sign with the Leafs or any other team of his choosing.

Why on Earth would Seattle choose option 3?

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
I have no idea why this discussion on Seattle taking Hyman is still going. From Seattle's perspective, they could:

1. Draft a good young defenseman like Travis Dermott.
2. If they're looking at too many defensemen available and not enough forwards, they can get a decent forward in Alex Kerfoot who is probably better than the forwards a lot of other teams will leave exposed.
3. Draft a UFA in Zach Hyman who we believe wants to stay in Toronto. In their two-day window to negotiate they would have to back up the truck to pay him because otherwise, why would Hyman sign there? He can wait two days, then sign with the Leafs or any other team of his choosing.

Why on Earth would Seattle choose option 3?

EXACTLY! This thread is cancer people thinking Seattle would roll the dice on UFA rights. Even Dermott is a risk because we could sign him as an RFA and sacrifice a low pick (hoping for 1.5-2.0 range?)

They’ll take Engvall or Kerfoot OR my ideal situation we bribe them to take Kerfoot (cap relief) or Hutchinson

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Hyman also has a pdo of 105.9 this season...
Anyone paying for that level of offense for a guy whose about to enter his 30s is going to be in for a very rude Awakening sooner rather than later.

I still expect the Leafs and him to come to a very reasonable compromise after the expansion draft.

Nylander and Hyman have virtually the same points, I think they are off by 2 points, with Hyman having played one less game. Are you saying Nylander is an overpayment?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylander and Hyman have virtually the same points, I think they are off by 2 points, with Hyman having played one less game. Are you saying Nylander is an overpayment?

What I'm suggesting is I don't think Hymans current offensive output is sustainable in the long term (ie over the bulk of the duration of a 4-7 year contract), so paying him a contract for this current scoring rate is a fairly substantial risk.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
What I'm suggesting is I don't think Hymans current offensive output is sustainable in the long term (ie over the bulk of the duration of a 4-7 year contract), so paying him a contract for this current scoring rate is a fairly substantial risk.

Think about how he plays every situation, Nylander does not play PK. Think about how Hyman makes every line he plays with better.

He's actually been pretty consistent over the last 2 years, .73p per game last year, .74 this year. I get I wont convince you otherwise but Hyman is a 2nd line winger on any team in this league, well worth 5 mil per.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I kind of wish they had a Kracken board on here to get fans in early. We could read their boards articles and so on if they did.I would likely travel over to it to read whats going on actually.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Depends on which protection framework they choose, 7F+3D or 4F+4D.

If they've decided 7F+3D then they should be loading up on forwards with some term.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
It amazes how some of our fan base is not up to speed on basic things like cap and protection lists.

Tavares has to be protected. NMC
Mik is exempt.
You don’t have to protect UFAs

Carry on...

Reactions: MR4

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Much like the Vegas expansion draft, I don't think there's too many difficult decisions for the Leafs to make at this expansion draft;

They'll probably go 8 skaters / 1 Goalie, instead of 7/3/1, as that lets them protect an extra Dman.

1. Matthews
  2. Marner
  3. Tavares
  4. Nylander
  5. Rielly
  6. Brodie
  7. Muzzin
  8. Holl

That leaves Kerfoot / Engvall as your two exposed forward requirement.
That leaves Dermott as your exposed D requirement.
That leaves Hutchinson as your exposed G requirement.

They probably are OK with losing Dermott, as that creates an opening that they can slide Sandin or Liljegren into.

Going 7/3/1, and proecting 7 Forwards, means they have to expose 1 of Holl / Muzzin, which they probably don't have the appetite to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad