Speculation: Expansion draft - who are you protecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Heres the expansion draft calculator.

Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Dependent on what happens at the deadline, I think im protecting 4F-4D instead of 7F-3D in the expansion draft. Holl is 100% gone if we only protect 3D (Mo, Muzz, Brodie)

Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander

Rielly
Muzzin
Brodie
Holl

Campbell

There has to be some shenanigans done to meet the exposure requirements as well. If Kerfoot or Engvall gets claimed, I wont be that upset. What happens with Hyman plays a role here too.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Protect 4 D, let them choose between Dermott and Kerfoot.

If they take Dermott; Sandin and Liljegren have a pretty easy path to the bottom pair. If they take Kerfoot then I guess we're looking for a C.

No need to galaxy brain it. Lose the decent player and move on. If they want to sign Freddy or some other UFA then even better.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I'd do the 4-4-1 you have.

Kerfoot, Engvall, Dermott, and Hutchinson meet the 2F/1D/1G exposure requirement in terms of GP and being signed for next year or an RFA.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Heres the expansion draft calculator.

Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Dependent on what happens at the deadline, I think im protecting 4F-4D instead of 7F-3D in the expansion draft. Holl is 100% gone if we only protect 3D (Mo, Muzz, Brodie)

Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander

Rielly
Muzzin
Brodie
Holl

Campbell

There has to be some shenanigans done to meet the exposure requirements as well. If Kerfoot or Engvall gets claimed, I wont be that upset. What happens with Hyman plays a role here too.

I believe we MUST expose 1 Goalie, 1 Defenseman, and 2 Forwards.

As of right now, we'd have Hutchinson, Dermott, Kerfoot, and Engvall. Everyone else is either exempt or will be a UFA.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Agree with the OP's picks. Got to protect Holl. Having a top 4 d-man under contract for 2 million in a flat cap is too important to risk exposing.

Believe we need a d-man who meets the expansion requirements under contract for 2021-22 so that means getting an extension done for Dermott or Bogo if we do indeed protect Holl.

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
I´d be very surprised if we don´t lose one of Dermott/Kerfoot, depending on what Seattle values most.
My bet is on Dermott due to his age, value and AAV. If so it will sting a bit but we will be fine.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
Agree with the OP's picks. Got to protect Holl. Having a top 4 d-man under contract for 2 million in a flat cap is too important to risk exposing.

Believe we need a d-man who meets the expansion requirements under contract for 2021-22 so that means getting an extension done for Dermott or Bogo if we do indeed protect Holl.[/QUOTE
Agree Holl should be 100% protected. I think that Dubas has to get one of Dermott/Bogo under contract. Draft rules are available at Capfriendly-Seattle Draft Simulator - FAQ. Losing Kerfoot would be ideal to get Cap space to sign Hyman.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I´d be very surprised if we don´t lose one of Dermott/Kerfoot, depending on what Seattle values most.
My bet is on Dermott due to his age, value and AAV. If so it will sting a bit but we will be fine.

Dermott is my bet.

Maybe Kerfoot if there is a real lack of C available but then Engvall might be more attractive.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Very much agree with OP. Hyman will be signed after the expansion draft. They'll take Kerfoot or Dermott. Probably Kerfoot due to there being less C depth available than D. It's not the end of the world because it at least opens up some cap, although it will suck to lose his speed.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Get Tavares to waive no movement under the assumption his contract isn’t want in Seattle during this pandemic.

Matthews
Marner
Nylander

Reilly
Muzzin
Brodie
Holl
Dermott

Campbell

Does that work?

HC7

May 2, 2018
Dermott should have been trade instead of Lehtonen.

Would be a waste to lose him for nothing.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Right now, it’s a pretty easy decision to go the 4-4-1 route, losing one of either Dermott or Kerfoot.

Getting a forward with term would complicate things, as you’d definitely be losing Holl/forward acquired unless something is worked out with Seattle.

Reactions: Keon1963

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
4-4-1 and we lose Dermott or Kerfoot. Hyman is signed after the draft.

And losing a player in the expansion draft is not "losing them for nothing". It might not be the value some players are worth, some of these posts about exposing Rielly and Tavares are... wow guys... but it's a roster job that has to be done.

Reactions: Insidefi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad