Speculation: Expansion draft - who are you protecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
9 Days Away: Expanding on Expansion Draft - NHL.com

cut.jpg

Last edited:

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I wonder what they could do to now preserve Justin Holl. They may have to bribe Seattle with a pick or prospect to take another player. Or they could trade them Kerfoot to take Dermott or someone else.
Holland good but he's got 2 to 3 years left losing him isn't worth this much thought.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Maple Leafs trade for centre Jared McCann from Penguins before NHL roster freeze | The Star

Toronto is his fourth team, though Seattle could well be his fifth. The Leafs submitted their protected list at 5 p.m. — about two hours after acquiring McCann, whose mere presence could have changed their equation.

Teams have two choices: Protect seven forwards, three defencemen and one goalie, or any eight skaters and one goalie. In the Leafs’ case, it’s easy to see the first four forwards, three defencemen and goalie: Mitch Marner, Auston Matthews, John Tavares, William Nylander, Morgan Rielly, T.J. Brodie, Jake Muzzin and Jack Campbell.

Until the McCann trade, it was widely believed they’d protect a fourth defenceman — Justin Holl — and go the 8-and-1 route.
That would leave Travis Dermott, Kerfoot, Pierre Engvall, Adam Brooks, Wayne Simmonds, Jason Spezza and Michael Hutchinson available for the Kraken.

But if they go that route now, they could lose McCann, who can play in the top six.
The Leafs might even see him in the role that Hyman has filled — playing on any line. McCann is reasonably priced with one year left, and would still be a restricted free agent next year.

So now the Leafs might go the 7-3-1 route, adding McCann and two other forwards, while exposing Holl along with Dermott.

The backstory is that the Kraken hired Leafs assistant coach Dave Hakstol to be their head coach, and he hired ex-Leaf assistant Paul MacFarland to run Seattle’s offence. Those two know the Leafs roster as well as anybody, and it’s not beyond reason to think Dubas and Kraken GM Ron Francis have worked out a side deal regarding who Seattle would take as part of the Hakstol hiring. That would make the Leafs’ protected list more for show.

One camp believes it will be Kerfoot, a third-line centre who can also play in the top six. If the Leafs lose his cap hit of $3.5 million, they’d have a bit more money to re-sign Hyman, or a goalie with Frederik Andersen also heading towards free agency on July 28.

If it’s Holl, then the Leafs would see $2 million come off their cap total, but would be looking again for a big, right-handed defenceman to replace him, though perhaps re-signing Zach Bogosian could fill that hole.

It’s doubtful they’d lose Dermott, since Hakstol ran the defence and Dermott was a healthy scratch toward the end of the season and most of the playoffs. It’s also doubtful the Kraken would be interested in the 32-year-old Simmonds, coming off a down year, or the 38-year-old Spezza, who’d probably retire if claimed. And there are more appealing goalies than Hutchinson available.

The Kraken might like Engvall or Brooks, neither of whom have reached their potential in bottom-six roles. Engvall carries a $1.25-million cap hit, Brooks $725,000.

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Don't over think it. Protect 7-3-1, let Seattle choose between Dermott and Holl. People are pretty split on which to protect if going 4-4-1, so it's not like there's a definitively better option out of the two to protect, plus with Sandin and Liljegren coming up we have the depth to handle the loss.

We don't have the depth up front though. So if we're trading picks and/or prospects to Seattle to convince them to take Kerfoot, we'll have a lot of work to do to round out the forward group.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if Muzzin is exposed and replaced with a cheaper healthier option like Oleksiak. The injuries are starting to add up on Muzz and they all seem to be chronic wear and tear instead of freak accidents. It probably depends on what Rielly's asking for, but it would give us some flexibility.

I frankly think it could be a good idea, though the few times I've mentioned it people seem to aggressively hate the idea lol.

Muzzin is exactly the type of player we need more of, but also carries the biggest caphit on the blueline, has had injuries, and based on age and style of play could easily take a nosedive in play pretty soon.

I doubt it's an option the Leafs are really considering, but who knows given what we've heard about Price, Tarasenko, etc.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I really cant wrap my head around us going 4/4/1. Im guessing the Leafs are daring Seattle to take Kerfoot? Then take the cap savings? I think it should be a fair guess that Hakstol will get his say, so its unlikely McCann is the guy based on that. But I really have no clue what the hell we are doing.

It just baffles me honestly. It almost seems like overthinking.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

Justin Holl is still a Maple Leaf. He's a good #4 RHD. Smart choice.

There has to be a side deal with Seattle for them to take Kerfoot instead of McCann. That would make the trade make more sense, because McCann would be the higher value asset today and he is younger making him the obvious choice for the Kraken. I wonder what the Leafs have offered Seattle to take Kerfoot?

I will likely look at the McCann protection trade as an extension of his pre-expansion swap, like a 3 way trade. Hallander + 2023 7th to Pittsburgh and a mystery piece to Seattle.

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad