Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Here's the question does Seattle attempt to leverage out 2022 draft picks instead of 2021 draft picks?
Probably 2021 but maybe 2022 instead I guess it depends on the Scouts and their take on the limited viewing there are getting. Maybe the NHL scrubs the whole draft if games aren't "played" in the junior and college ranks. They would love that since its the NHL that wanted a 19 year old draft,up from the 18 instituted in 1979 after Gretzky,Messier,Gartner and a host of others would have challenged that in court.That said the NHL did have a brief hiccup in 1974 when the WHA was "stealing" under-age players from the junior ranks and the NHL allowed players as young 16 (Grant Mulvey)to be drafted!Personally I would like to see a 19 year old draft,especially since the vast majority play out upto to 20 years of age before turning pro!Sorry off on a tangent. I hope there are tonnes of teams with problems with the 7-3-1 or 8-1 scenario...Hello Tampa,Colorado,Carolina even Edmonton...steal away Ronnie Francis...

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Just tried another expansion draft with Cap Friendly's simulator and came up with this.

TeamPlayerAgePositionSalaryContract
AnaheimSonny Milano25LW$1.7(RFA 2022)
ArizonaKyle Capobianco24D$750K(RFA 2022)
BostonJeremy Lauzon24RD$850K(RFA 2022)
BuffaloCollin Miller29RD$3.875(UFA 2022)
CalgarySam Bennett25LW/C$2.55(RFA 2021)
CarolinaJake Bean23LD$860K(RFA 2021)
ChicagoNikita Zadorov26LD/RD$3.2(RFA 2021)
ColoradoDevon Toews27LD$4.1(UFA 2024)
ColumbusDean Kukan28RD$1.65(UFA 2022)
DallasJulius Honka25RD$700K(RFA 2021)
DetroitGivani Smith23LW$714K(RFA 2021)
EdmontonCaleb Jones24LD$850K(RFA 2022)
FloridaRadko Goudas31RD$2.5(UFA 2023)
Los AngelesMartin Frk28LW$725K(UFA 2022)
MinnesotaJordan Greenway24LW$2.1(RFA 2022)
MontrealJake Allen31G$2.85(UFA 2023)
NashvilleConnor Ingram24G$733K(RFA 2023)
New JerseyMiles Wood26LW$2.75(RFA 2022)
New York IslandersScott Mayfield29RD$1.45(UFA 2023)
New York RangersBrendan Lemieux25LW$1.55(RFA 2022)
OttawaFilip Chlapik24C$735K(RFA 2021)
PhiladelphiaJames van Riemsdyk32LW$7.0(UFA 2023)
PittsburghJared McCann25LW$2.94(RFA 2022)
San JoseMaxim Letunov25C$700K(RFA 2021)
St. LouisSammy Blais25LW/RW$1.5(RFA 2022)
Tampa BayTyler Johnson31LW$5.0(UFA 2024)
TorontoTravis Dermott24LD$875K(RFA 2021)
VancouverBraden Holtby31G$4.3(UFA 2022)
WashingtonT.J. Oshie34RW/C$5.75(UFA 2025)
WinnipegMason Appleton25RW/C$900K(RFA 2022)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It would meet the requirements of at least 20 players being under contract for 2021-22 and would be over the cap floor with $67.7 mil.

We could then flip some of those players to other teams and use the remaining money to re-sign the RFA's we want while still having some fllexibility in free agency.
Having that flexibility in Free Agency would also be needed, because the team(as constructed) would be really thin at C.

Also, Johnson, van Riemsdyk and Oshie would only be drafted if their teams gave us prospects/picks on top of it.

How would your team look like?
I like some of your choices while being on the fence with others...here's how I see it...Milano or Jacob Larsson(D),Adin Hill-Ariz,Bos-Lauzon or Zboril,Buff-Montour or Miller,Calg-Kylington or Bennett,Carolina-Bean or a sweetener and a Veteran D-Pesce,Colorado-Jost,Chic-Shaw or Kampf,Columbus-G Carlsson,Dallas-Honka,Detroit,E Svechnikov,Edmonton-A Larsson,Flor,Montembeault,LA Amadio or Quick...with the Kraken sending Quicker to a Stanley Cup contender at the trade deadline for picks...Minn-Greenway would like great,Mont-Juulsen,Ylonen and a sweetener of picks,Nash-Ingram,NJ-MacLeod,Merkley or Luokkanen,NYI-Bellows or Mayfield and a sweetener,NYR-Lemieux,Ott-Chlapik or Abramov,Philly-Laughton or Hagg,Pitt-B Tanev or a sweetener and Samuel Poulin,SJ-Letunov,StL-Husso,Tampa-Johnson and a sweetener(1st rounder)TO-Liljegren or Dermot,Van-Holtby,Wash L Johansen,Winnipeg-L Stanley or S Niku
d032a690e19d3eed576c14cf49a7d768.jpg

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I like some of your choices while being on the fence with others...here's how I see it...Milano or Jacob Larsson(D),Adin Hill-Ariz,Bos-Lauzon or Zboril,Buff-Montour or Miller,Calg-Kylington or Bennett,Carolina-Bean or a sweetener and a Veteran D-Pesce,Colorado-Jost,Chic-Shaw or Kampf,Columbus-G Carlsson,Dallas-Honka,Detroit,E Svechnikov,Edmonton-A Larsson,Flor,Montembeault,LA Amadio or Quick...with the Kraken sending Quicker to a Stanley Cup contender at the trade deadline for picks...Minn-Greenway would like great,Mont-Juulsen,Ylonen and a sweetener of picks,Nash-Ingram,NJ-MacLeod,Merkley or Luokkanen,NYI-Bellows or Mayfield and a sweetener,NYR-Lemieux,Ott-Chlapik or Abramov,Philly-Laughton or Hagg,Pitt-B Tanev or a sweetener and Samuel Poulin,SJ-Letunov,StL-Husso,Tampa-Johnson and a sweetener(1st rounder)TO-Liljegren or Dermot,Van-Holtby,Wash L Johansen,Winnipeg-L Stanley or S NikuView attachment 379481

No chance in hell Poulin is exposed, McCann, or possibly Blueger will get exposed, Poulin has a legit shot at cracking next year's roster on a much needed cost contracted entry deal by letting a plug like Aston-Reese go to free agency and sacrificing one of Blue or McCann.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
No chance in hell Poulin is exposed, McCann, or possibly Blueger will get exposed, Poulin has a legit shot at cracking next year's roster on a much needed cost contracted entry deal by letting a plug like Aston-Reese go to free agency and sacrificing one of Blue or McCann.
McCann is a pretty good player and far better than 19 year old Samuel Poulin who's not going to crack the NHL line up in 2021-22!He couldn't make Team Canada so that has to say something?Besides I put it out there that Poulin would be peddled so Seattle doesn't tamper with the vets sitting in the 6,7,8 Forward positions on Crosby's last kick at the can(Stanley Cup)!

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
McCann is a pretty good player and far better than 19 year old Samuel Poulin who's not going to crack the NHL line up in 2021-22!He couldn't make Team Canada so that has to say something?Besides I put it out there that Poulin would be peddled so Seattle doesn't tamper with the vets sitting in the 6,7,8 Forward positions on Crosby's last kick at the can(Stanley Cup)!

I don't see that as being even a remote possibility. I Don think any 6,7,8 forward is going to make or break Crosby's 'last kick' at the can to warrant trading one of the Pens top prospects albeit a weak prospect pool.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Poulin is not going to help matters either! Pens have to have one of the weakest prospects pools going! Its Poulin and Blomqvist and not much else...oh ya Joseph the D-man but that's it

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Bringing that discussion over here.

Hall only signed for 1 year! What youngsters were you thinking about? Asplund?Girgensons,who's going to be 27 when Seattle starts barking out names.?Really they have 4 forwards worth protecting the rest are meh! Unless someone or a few have monster seasons? Girgensons has been shelved for the year I hear
As long as they don't completely stink and Hall openly tells them he'll go somewhere else they'll protect him.

Just for the simple fact to show Eichel that they're serious about winning.

Forwards to protect for them:
Eichel
Hall
Olofsson
Thompson
Reinhart

and possibly Mittelstadt(+ player x), if he'd play well enough.

On Defense they have:
Dahlin
Jokiharju

and after that Ristolainen or Miller(neither of them are fantastic and have flaws) and UFA McCabe.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Bringing that discussion over here.

As long as they don't completely stink and Hall openly tells them he'll go somewhere else they'll protect him.

Just for the simple fact to show Eichel that they're serious about winning.

Forwards to protect for them:
Eichel
Hall
Olofsson
Thompson
Reinhart

and possibly Mittelstadt(+ player x), if he'd play well enough.

On Defense they have:
Dahlin
Jokiharju

and after that Ristolainen or Miller(neither of them are fantastic and have flaws) and UFA McCabe.
That looks like a list that can be compiled for Sabres? Have you been looking around the league though? Florida is keeping Borgstrom in Europe so that he doesn't burn his 3rd year in North America and then have to be protected...dirty pool...Boston is doing the same thing with D-man U Vaakanainen who's in Finland I believe. Toronto peddled established players(Johnsson and Kapanen) for prospects or draft choices. I'll keep a look out and report what I've found.NHL teams that pull this kind of crap should be fined or their Expansion money coming from Seattle revoked(21.5 M per team)! That would look good on the bastards!

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
I’m watching a ton of hockey this season to see if there are any under the radar steals that we might get our hooks into.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
That looks like a list that can be compiled for Sabres? Have you been looking around the league though? Florida is keeping Borgstrom in Europe so that he doesn't burn his 3rd year in North America and then have to be protected...dirty pool...Boston is doing the same thing with D-man U Vaakanainen who's in Finland I believe. Toronto peddled established players(Johnsson and Kapanen) for prospects or draft choices. I'll keep a look out and report what I've found.NHL teams that pull this kind of crap should be fined or their Expansion money coming from Seattle revoked(21.5 M per team)! That would look good on the bastards!

I've seen a couple of strange ones as well, just like you point out here.

I guess we can't do much about that and have to deal with teams doing everything they can after being emberassed by Vegas four years ago.
I mean, as long as the NHL doesn't do anything about it.

Like I've said before, teams had way more time for this expansion draft so expecting anything close to what Vegas was able to do would be foolish.

If things go well we might be able to compete for the playoffs but that's about it.

That's why I'd like us to look at as many deals as possible to collect as many assetts as we can(picks/youth) to built a team that has a chance to be good within a couple of years.

And if things don't really work out during the first season there's the 2022 draft with at least three possible 1st line/franchise centers in Shane Wright, Brad Lambert and Matthew Savoie.

Reactions: Tao Jones and andys

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I've seen a couple of strange ones as well, just like you point out here.

I guess we can't do much about that and have to deal with teams doing everything they can after being emberassed by Vegas four years ago.
I mean, as long as the NHL doesn't do anything about it.

Like I've said before, teams had way more time for this expansion draft so expecting anything close to what Vegas was able to do would be foolish.

If things go well we might be able to compete for the playoffs but that's about it.

That's why I'd like us to look at as many deals as possible to collect as many assetts as we can(picks/youth) to built a team that has a chance to be good within a couple of years.

And if things don't really work out during the first season there's the 2022 draft with at least three possible 1st line/franchise centers in Shane Wright, Brad Lambert and Matthew Savoie.
Tampa,Colorado look to be teams that want to keep certain players and make a side deal with Seattle. Montreal has extra forwards too!Carolina has a bunch of D-men that could be had also

Jdodd

Jun 24, 2017
You also have to look at the "Win Now" Teams.. they don't want to lose strong 3rd line Forwards or their 4th D-Man due to the chance to win a Cup window....These teams are likely to make side deals as well.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Tampa,Colorado look to be teams that want to keep certain players and make a side deal with Seattle. Montreal has extra forwards too!Carolina has a bunch of D-men that could be had also

Yep, there should be quite some side deals available.

I could see teams like Colorado, Carolina, Tampa, St. Louis, Edmonton, Montreal, Minnesota(if they don't trade Dumba), NYI, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington etc. being interested in a side deal for one reason or another.

Wether that be to get rid of certainy players(and their contracts) or just to protect guys they can't get on their protected list.

So, best case for us, Francis should basically see what teams are offering for those deals(as we can't do loads of them if we don't want to get into cap trouble ourselves) and pick the best ones, while the other teams compete against each other.

Anyways, I'm really curious to see what we'll do once the final payment to the league is paid in March and when we'll first hear about possible deals and names coming to us.
As far as I know, Fleury to LV was known pretty early on.

Reactions: Jdodd and andys

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I would like to hear more who Colorado would pay for to not be picked.

Johnson, Toews and Makar from d-men and Rantanen and MacKinnon from forwards will be protected. That still leaves at least Girard and Kadri as options to be protected.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I would like to hear more who Colorado would pay for to not be picked.

Johnson, Toews and Makar from d-men and Rantanen and MacKinnon from forwards will be protected. That still leaves at least Girard and Kadri as options to be protected.
Makar doesn't need to be protected since will only be finishing his second year as a Pro. Girard will have to be and will be. There have been rumors that E Johnson gets bought out! Of the Landeskog,Ranatanen and S Star MacKinnon are locks right...with Kadri,Burakovsky,Saad,Jost,Compher,Donskoi,and Nichuskin! That's 10 forwards! I zeroed in on Jost because he's young,but it might be the forward who has the worst season of the 7,8,9,10 or perhaps Kadri since he'll be 31 in October,2021!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Yep, there should be quite some side deals available.

I could see teams like Colorado, Carolina, Tampa, St. Louis, Edmonton, Montreal, Minnesota(if they don't trade Dumba), NYI, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington etc. being interested in a side deal for one reason or another.

Wether that be to get rid of certainy players(and their contracts) or just to protect guys they can't get on their protected list.

So, best case for us, Francis should basically see what teams are offering for those deals(as we can't do loads of them if we don't want to get into cap trouble ourselves) and pick the best ones, while the other teams compete against each other.

Anyways, I'm really curious to see what we'll do once the final payment to the league is paid in March and when we'll first hear about possible deals and names coming to us.
As far as I know, Fleury to LV was known pretty early on.
What I'd like Seattle to be doing once the Last Payment has been made...is being Ultra aggressive with College free agents! Mostly to provide depth and stock the Palm Springs team and have be competitive from the get-go! And since their own Entry Level draft picks won't be ready for at least 1 year and maybe 2-3,it would be a good start. Like to see the Kraken sign about 6-8 College Free Agents...Jack Lafontaine-Goalie(Carolina drafted in 2016)is a Free Agents as will Linus Weissbach-Forward(Buff-2017) in August. Matt Kiested-Defense(North Dakota) was highly sought after last year! J Kawaguchi-Captain(North Dakota)could be a valuable player for Palm Springs too!There are others that I'm sure Seattle has their eyes on and beauty of playing for an Expansion team is the opportunity it brings and being part of something brand spanking new! Good Luck to the Seattle Kraken in choosing and signing the very best college free agents,Expansion and Entry draft players around! I'll be watching NHL players that could be had and providing my take...I'm sure things will change(NHL-"front") in the next 6 months...

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Makar doesn't need to be protected since will only be finishing his second year as a Pro. Girard will have to be and will be. There have been rumors that E Johnson gets bought out! Of the Landeskog,Ranatanen and S Star MacKinnon are locks right...with Kadri,Burakovsky,Saad,Jost,Compher,Donskoi,and Nichuskin! That's 10 forwards! I zeroed in on Jost because he's young,but it might be the forward who has the worst season of the 7,8,9,10 or perhaps Kadri since he'll be 31 in October,2021!

In other words, you are saying this is false:

Landeskog is UFA after this season.

Last edited:

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I don't know what you are reading but Makar is exempt from the Expansion draft! He has 2 years experience after this season,so...no go

Ok, good to know that the playoff-games against Flames doesn't count. So only Toews needs to be protected for sure of the d-men, Girard being amother option there.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Ok, good to know that the playoff-games against Flames doesn't count. So only Toews needs to be protected for sure of the d-men, Girard being amother option there.
They will protect Girard,D Toews and I see Colorado make a trade for a top 2 D-man and buy out E Johnson

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Why do you see they would need a top-2 d-man?
I really like Colorado's young D-men,Makar,Girard and Byram just like to see them add a 4th...a RDman preferably...Barron will be a 5th D-man when he's ready! A top 2 D-man to add to the tremendous fire-power they possess!

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I really like Colorado's young D-men,Makar,Girard and Byram just like to see them add a 4th...a RDman preferably...Barron will be a 5th D-man when he's ready! A top 2 D-man to add to the tremendous fire-power they possess!

Toews is basically that top-2 you are looking for, they got him already. Toews might be even #1 right now. They also have Conor Timmins coming up.

I think it is more likely they'll trade out a d-man than add another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad