Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Toews is basically that top-2 you are looking for, they got him already. Toews might be even #1 right now. They also have Conor Timmins coming up.

I think it is more likely they'll trade out a d-man than add another.
Conor Timmins is over rated and won't be more than a number 6 D-man! Besides he's missed a lot development time the last 2 1/2 years

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
It can be tempting to click "Quick protect" button on Capfriendly and get yourself Toews, but realistically speaking there's no way that 3rd line players like Compher and Donskoi and protected over Toews. Even if Landeskog is signed before he becomes UFA, the best available players for Seattle are Burakovsky, Kadri and Graves. Now, if Landeskog decides to sign later (there are are rumors about this) then Seattle will select between one of Kadri or Burakovsky (it depends on how both play this season) and Graves. Not the worst options, but sorry, no Toews for you.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I don't know what you are reading but Makar is exempt from the Expansion draft! He has 2 years experience after this season,so...no go

He's talking about the fact that they have to protect Makar, thanks to him appearing in the playoffs, according to Cap Friendly.

So it's your word against Cap Friendly's and given that it's not as easy as "two years experience" I'd wait and see if they really don't have to protect Makar.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
It can be tempting to click "Quick protect" button on Capfriendly and get yourself Toews, but realistically speaking there's no way that 3rd line players like Compher and Donskoi and protected over Toews. Even if Landeskog is signed before he becomes UFA, the best available players for Seattle are Burakovsky, Kadri and Graves. Now, if Landeskog decides to sign later (there are are rumors about this) then Seattle will select between one of Kadri or Burakovsky (it depends on how both play this season) and Graves. Not the worst options, but sorry, no Toews for you.
Personally if its between Burakovsky,Kadri and Jost,I'd take Jost!He's cheaper,younger by 3 and 8 years! Kadri is signed for one year after this so may just depart in 2022.I think Colorado protects Burakovsky!And say they don't he's a UFA in 2022! So Jost,the Graves kind can be found on the scrap heap

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
He's talking about the fact that they have to protect Makar, thanks to him appearing in the playoffs, according to Cap Friendly.

So it's your word against Cap Friendly's and given that it's not as easy as "two years experience" I'd wait and see if they really don't have to protect Makar.
I'd bet on it,Makar doesn't have to be protected,play-off games aren't regular season games and he had zero there, before last year 2019-20!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I could sse a Anaheim Ducks Corey Perry Avatar in your future....:joker:
I'm sticking to my belief! I guess we will have to wait and see... 1.9898987.png

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

So explain to me why Makar has to be protected and Texier doesn't and he's played more games and over 3 years in the NHL.Then explain why Valimaki doesn't need protecting but Bennett did a few years ago when Vegas came into the league? Both lost seasons in the NHL with injuries...something is screwy in St Louie!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

It seems to me that teams are trying to find a loop hole to hide players...kind of how the Leafs did way back when,when they tried to pass Gerry Cheevers off as a forward and the Bruins took him from the Leafs organization!

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
So explain to me why Makar has to be protected and Texier doesn't and he's played more games and over 3 years in the NHL.Then explain why Valimaki doesn't need protecting but Bennett did a few years ago when Vegas came into the league? Both lost seasons in the NHL with injuries...something is screwy in St Louie!
Makar does have to be protected. The games he played in the playoffs meant that he burned a year of his ELC and now must be protected. Had Quinn Hughes played a few more he games when he first started then he would have had to be protected as well. Not sure about Texier.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Rumours are they will ask Johnson to waive his NMC. So then they will protect Girard, Makar and Toews. If Johnson doesn't waive or get bough out then Seattle either gets a side deal or a very good dman.
A D-man that is 31 years old! I'd stay away from him like the plague(he's injury prone)!

Reactions: kihei

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Rumours are they will ask Johnson to waive his NMC. So then they will protect Girard, Makar and Toews. If Johnson doesn't waive or get bough out then Seattle either gets a side deal or a very good dman.
Seattle doesn't want a D-man from Colorado they want,I want Tyson Jost a former First rounder that they rushed into the lineup...But hey they have Alex Newhook as the new shiny toy soon

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Seattle doesn't want a D-man from Colorado they want,I want Tyson Jost a former First rounder that they rushed into the lineup...But hey they have Alex Newhook as the new shiny toy soon

Jost is an interesting player that might be able to take the next step with a bigger role.

Though, if Devon Toews somehow will be available we've got to jump on that opportunity.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
My biggest fear right now is that we grab one of Vlasic or Jones from the Sharks. The Sharks are the team I have followed since I got into hockey about 11-12 years back but I really do not want us to touch either of those players with a 10 foot pole.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Colorado would be more than happy for you to choose Jost. He has been a Huge disappointment.
Colorado turned him pro too early! The disappointment has been in the development staff in not recognizing that Jost should been left in College another year!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
My biggest fear right now is that we grab one of Vlasic or Jones from the Sharks. The Sharks are the team I have followed since I got into hockey about 11-12 years back but I really do not want us to touch either of those players with a 10 foot pole.
What's wrong with Vlasic and Jones? I don't see the Sharks not protecting them...its Gambrell,Dahlen or Simek! If Dahlen is available I'd swoop in and make that pick! And he just turned 23 and may score 100 points in Timra by seasons end!!!

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
What's wrong with Vlasic and Jones? I don't see the Sharks not protecting them...its Gambrell,Dahlen or Simek! If Dahlen is available I'd swoop in and make that pick! And he just turned 23 and may score 100 points in Timra by seasons end!!!

Oh man. There is a lot wrong with those two.

Vlasic is seriously hot garbage. He is passable as a 3rd pair D-man but is 33 years old and has another 5 years on his contract at 7M AAV. Jones has posted a sub .900 SV% over the last 2 seasons and is on track to do the same this season too. And he is on the books for another 3 years at 5.75M.

There is a small chance that the Sharks expose Gambrell or Simek. Dahlen is not going to be exposed. Plus he does not really qualify because of the expansion draft rules around the games played requirement. I would be fine with Gambrell or Simek as well.

I do want to add that Vlasic has an NMC. Unless he chooses to waive his NMC, he cannot be exposed.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I would like to hear more who Colorado would pay for to not be picked.

Johnson, Toews and Makar from d-men and Rantanen and MacKinnon from forwards will be protected. That still leaves at least Girard and Kadri as options to be protected.
I don't know if it is more than a pipe dream but if there is some way of prying Kadri out of Colorado, I would love it. He played his heart out in Toronto, and it was a mistake trading him. Love to see him in a Kraken uniform. The kind of player we need to get the ball rolling.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I’m watching a ton of hockey this season to see if there are any under the radar steals that we might get our hooks into.
Hopefully Kraken scouts are diligently doing their homework. Las Vegas' successful draft left a lot of teams' decision makers with acres of egg on their face. The other teams will see us coming this time. It won't be easy.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Colorado turned him pro too early! The disappointment has been in the development staff in not recognizing that Jost should been left in College another year!
It might have hurt him, but it was partly Jost's decision as well. After a few years that excuse does not wash any longer. He has had enough time to develop into something more. He has been given plenty of ice time and played with decent players. I am sure if thrown on one of top 2 lines in Seattle he would do better, but I don't think his upside is too high. He just doesn't show much to say yeah he can get to another level. Nothing wrong with a good checker and PK'er who can chip in a few points. For a high first rounder though with all the hype that is a big disappointment.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Colorado would be more than happy for you to choose Jost. He has been a Huge disappointment.
That's incorrect.
The Avs want the Kraken to take one of Compher, Donskoi or Graves. Jost is good value for a cap team because of his cheap contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->