Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
Just want to start off by saying congratulations (from Michigan) to Seattle on becoming the 32nd team in the NHL!!

Is it okay to start a thread regarding predictions of lists from each teams who could be exposed for the draft in 2 years? A bit out, yes...but I think it'd be fun and be a long time and valid discussion.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nice thread start, I had this to say in the GM thread and think it fits here better.

I still wonder if teams are going to just deal with Seattle the way Vegas was. Seemed as if everyone rather pay Vegas or give Vegas a better player rather than trading a player for the highest price. Was if everyone didn't care as they thought even if they gave a good player away it's only an expansion team, how good could they be?

I'd also add the fact that fans are already going to look at this makes me think the faster Seattle starts putting some pieces to the management team the better. Sure you are going to have all of 19-20 to scout, but I really think having something sooner than next season would be better. That last month of the season going into the playoffs you can find some hidden gems. There are always guys that find a way to step it up another gear. Might not be a bad thing to be able to get that extra scouting in during a crucial time of year.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Edmonton is probably gonna lose a prospect in Seattle's expansion draft. They have a number of them that would be entering their 3rd year. Only first and 2nd year are auto protected.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
So what I was thinking...maybe if we can get one poster per team to make a list (a poster representing per team) and put it all in this thread would be so awesome. We already have a poster make a list/thread going of possible Wings being exposed in our Wings section.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The Knights already set the baseline for success in inaugural season.

If this new team doesn't make it to the Cup final in 2021, they have failed.

Reactions: FishManSam

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Hoping, but not expecting, that there will be a few dumb GMs that panic and make horrible deals, as happened with Vegas. Unfortunately, they've probably learned their lessons.

Reactions: Architeuthis

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think the Ducks are screwed though. They burned ELC years off of Isac Lundestrom and Max Comtois without even keeping them up in the lineup.

Reactions: FishManSam

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The Knights already set the baseline for success in inaugural season.

If this new team doesn't make it to the Cup final in 2021, they have failed.

What if Seattle wins a Cup before Vegas? Shall we then say that Vegas has failed, especially given a 3 year head start?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Edmonton is probably gonna lose a prospect in Seattle's expansion draft. They have a number of them that would be entering their 3rd year. Only first and 2nd year are auto protected.

Bouchard is exempt thankfully. But we're gonna get screwed out of a good prospect still. Either Yamamoto, Bear, Jones, Benson are gonna be lost to Seattle.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Reminder, Vegas is exempt from expansion draft.

Really? Doesn't seem fair. They'll have been in the league 4 yards and will be established. They pretty much got 30 NHL players from their expansion draft.

That's what the 500mil fee got them then... exemption

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Really? Doesn't seem fair. They'll have been in the league 4 yards and will be established. They pretty much got 30 NHL players from their expansion draft.

Ya I can see if it was happening for next year, but 4 years in seems a little long to give the exemption imo. At the end of the day though, you’re still going to end up with more players than you can have on a team, and certain goalies are basically the only waiver exempt players

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
@48g90a138pts VGK also isn't getting one penny of the Seattle expansion fee.

Tough crowd to run with, those NHL owners. I'm sure the Knights will be fine without it.

Ya I can see if it was happening for next year, but 4 years in seems a little long to give the exemption imo. At the end of the day though, you’re still going to end up with more players than you can have on a team, and certain goalies are basically the only waiver exempt players

Chiarelli would probably make a fantastic AGM on a expansion franchise. He's really good at identifying depth players whichis what the expansion draft is mostly about.

Seattle could twist our rubber arm with a second round pick to acquire him. :naughty:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

They are exempt cause it was suppose to be 2 teams expansion back when Vegas was announced. Seattle didn't turn in a bid so they ended up going with just Vegas. As LadyStanley noted Vegas isn't taking any of the 650m thus they aren't losing a player.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I agree with klkoedel and Lords of Scythia. GMs have known the rules for this expansion draft and that it was coming for a year now (I think which year was still the question). The GMs have already been considering some of their player contract terms and rosters with this expansion draft in mind and having been through it once gives them a huge advantage they did not have when Vegas came into the league.

Any speculation now might be fun but will be ultimately useless. I suspect no fan (if picking five players from every team right now) will be right on more than two or three in the entire league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad