Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I just took a look at the goalie situation and who might be available for us.

Remember teams need to expose at least one goalie that is either a RFA in 2021 or signed for the 2021-22 season.

red = protected from selection
green = available for selection
black = UFA and neither available or protected

TeamPlayerSalaryContractNMC
AnaheimJohn Gibson$ 6.42027(UFA)
Anthony Stolarz$750K2021(UFA)
ArizonaDarcy Kuemper$4.52022(UFA)
Antii Raanta$4.252021(UFA)
Aden Hill$800 K2021(RFA)
BostonTuukka Rask$7.02021(UFA)
Jaroslav Halak$2.252021(UFA)
Daniel Vladar$790K2023(RFA)
Callum Booth$700K2021(RFA)
BuffaloCarter Hutton$2.752021(UFA)
Lunus Ullmark$1.3252020(RFA)
Jonas Johansson$700K2021(RFA)
CalgaryJakob Markström$6.02026(UFA)NMC
David Rittich$2.752021(UFA)
Tyler Parsons$735K2021(RFA)
Louis Domingue$700K2021(UFA)
CarolinaJames Reimer$3.42021(UFA)
Petr Mrazek$3.12520201(UFA)
Jeremy Helvig$761K2021(RFA)
Alex Nedeljkovic$737K2021(RFA)
ChicagoCollin Delia$1.02022(UFA)
Malcolm Subban$850K2022(UFA)
Kevin Lankinen$800K2022(UFA)
ColoradoPhilipp Grubauer$3.332021(UFA)
Pavel Francouz$2.02022(UFA)
Hinter Miskau$725K2022(UFA)
ColumbusJoonas Korpisalo$2.82022(UFA)
Matiss Kivlenieks$725K2022(UFA)
DallasBen Bishop$4.916,6662023(UFA)NMC
Anton Khubodin$3.333.3332023(UFA)
Colton Point$925K2021(RFA)
DetroitThomas Greiss$3.62022(UFA)
Kaden Fulcher$733K2022(RFA)
EdmontonMikko Koskinen$4.52022(UFA)
Stuart Skinner$784K2021(RFA)
Dylan Wells$745K2021(RFA)
FloridaSergei Bobrovsky$102026(UFA)
Chris Driedger$850K2021(UFA)
Philippe Desrosiers$700K2021(RFA)
Los AngelesJonathan Quick$5.82023(UFA)
Cal Pedersen$858K2022(UFA)
Troy Grosenick$700K2021(UFA)
MinnesotaCam Talbot$3.6672023(UFA)
Alex Stalock$785K2022(UFA)
Kaapo Kähkönen$725K2022(RFA)
MontrealCarey Price$10.52026(UFA)NMC
Jake Allen$4.352023(UFA)
Charlie Lindgren$750K2021(UFA)
Michael McNiven$700K2021(RFA)
NashvillePekka Rinne$5.02021(UFA)
Juuse Saros$1.52021(RFA)
Connor Ingram$733K2023(RFA)
Kasimir Kaskisuo$700K2021(UFA)
New JerseyCorey Crawford$3.92022(UFA)
Evan Cormier$718K2021(RFA)
Mackenzie Blackwood697K2020(RFA)
Scott Wedgewood$9700K2021(UFA)
New York IslandersSemyon Varlamov$5.02023(UFA)
New York RangersAlexandar Georgiev$2.4252022(RFA)
Keith Kinkaid$825K2022(UFA)
OttawaMatt Murray$6.252024(UFA)
Anders Nilsson$2.62021(UFA)
Filip Gustavson$761K2021(RFA)
Joey Daccord$750K2023(RFA)
Marcus Högberg$700K2021(RFA)
PhiladelphiaBrian Elliott$1.52021(UFA)
Felix Sandsröm$792K2021(RFA)
Carter Hart$730K2021(RFA)
Alex Lyon$700K2021(UFA)
PittsburghTristan Jarry$3.52023(UFA)
Casey DeSmith$1.252022(UFA)
Maxime Legace$700K2021(UFA)
San JoseMartin Jones$5.752024(UFA)
Devan Dubnyk$4.332021(UFA)
Josef Korenar$723K2021(RFA)
St. LouisJordan Binnington$4.42021(UFA)
Evan Fitzpatrick$770K2021(RFA)
Ville Husso$750K2022(UFA)
Jon Gillies$700K2021(UFA)
Tampa BayAndrei Vasilevsky$9.52028(UFA)
Curtis McElhinney$1.32021(UFA)
Spencer Martin$700K2021(RFA)
Christopher Gibson$700K2021(UFA)
TorontoFrederik Andersen$5.02021(UFA)
Jack Campbell$1.652022(UFA)
Aaron Dell$800K2021(UFA)
VancouverBraden Holtby$4.32022(UFA)
Thatcher Demko$1.052021(RFA)
WashingtonHenrick Lundqvist$1.52021(UFA)
Pheonix Copley$1.12020(UFA)
Ilya Samsonov$925K2021(RFA)
Vitek Vanecek$716K2022(RFA)
Zachary Fucale$700K2021(RFA)
WinnipegConnor Hellebuyck$6.162024(UFA)
Laurent Brossoit$1.52021(UFA)
Mikhail Berdin$758K2021(RFA)
Eric Comrie$700K2021(RFA)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The Ducks and the Islanders need to sign another goalie to expose for the expansion draft.
I also have Ullmark of the Sabres protected because he should be their #1 goalie and extended for a couple of years.

Veteran options:

Braden Holtby
Jack Campbell
Martin Jones
Casey DeSmith
Corey Crawford
Jake Allen
Cam Talbot/Alex Stalock
Jonathan Quick
Anton Khubodin

Looking at that list it surely depends on how those goalies are playing next season and of course on what else is available on their respective teams.

To me, Jake Allen(who's extension will pay him $2.85 mil a year), Jack Campbell and Casey DeSmtih could be solid 1B options.
Holtby and Talbot would need to show that they can be solid again or for another season, while Crawford would need to show he's healthy enough.
If not, Khubodin would be a solid option as well.

The one to stay away from, unless he has a really good bounce back season, would be Martin Jones of the Sharks.
He hasn't been good for some time and is still under contract until 2024 making $5.75 mil a year.

Younger players:
Aden Hill
Connor Ingram
Matiss Kivlinieks
Daniel Vladar
Marcus Högberg

To me we should take at least one of those.
Aden Hill has already shown some signs and as long as the Coyotes aren't able to trade Kuemper he could be a solid option even as an RFA.
Ingram is intriguing to me, but I've also heard some people being not as convinced on him.

Options in Free Agency:
Frederick Anderson
Philipp Grubauer
James Reimer
Petr Mrazek
David Rittich

If those guys are able in free agency Anderson would be the big name but I think Grubauer would be a really good pickup and shouldn't be that expensive.

Overall I don't see a Fleury situation like Vegas was able to capitalize from but still a couple of solid options or younger guys.

What would be your picks?
Good job with building out that list.

I would go with a Allen/DeSmith (one or both) in the expansion draft.

Potentially target one of Anderson, Mrazek or Reimer in free agency as well. I think we end up in a pretty solid 1A/1B situation and at a very acceptable cap as well.

Just load up on the BPA's in the expansion, we can always turn around and trade players from positions we have in surplus.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Veteran options:
Braden Holtby
Jack Campbell
Martin Jones
Casey DeSmith
Corey Crawford
Jake Allen
Cam Talbot/Alex Stalock
Jonathan Quick
Anton Khubodin

Younger players:
Aden Hill
Connor Ingram
Matiss Kivlinieks
Daniel Vladar
Marcus Högberg

Ingram is intriguing to me, but I've also heard some people being not as convinced on him.

Options in Free Agency:
Frederick Anderson
Philipp Grubauer
James Reimer
Petr Mrazek
David Rittich

If those guys are able in free agency Anderson would be the big name but I think Grubauer would be a really good pickup and shouldn't be that expensive.

What would be your picks?

I think one of Cambell/Desmith/Allen/Khudubin plus two of Hill/Ingram/Vladar would be solid. IDK about a FA, but if they get the opportunity I'd say go for it.

Ingram, I think, definitely has what it takes to be a starter, he's already had two pretty good seasons in the AHL before coming to Milwaukee and being one of the best in the league last year.
He did have some red flags, he was a recent 3rd rounder who improved his reputation but got traded for a 7th over an "incident", it seems like everything has been going better in Milwaukee for him though.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Florida's goalie Bobrovsky has a NMC. NHL teams are required to protect 1 goalie so one of those two green labeled need to be red.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Florida's goalie Bobrovsky has a NMC. NHL teams are required to protect 1 goalie so one of those two green labeled need to be red.

Nope none of the Florida goalies needs to be red.

Teams need to expose at least one goalie who is either a 2021 RFA or under contract for at least the 2021-22 season.

With Bobrovsky being excempt and Driedger being an UFA, Desrosiers has to be exposed as he's their only goalie that meets those rules(he's an RFA in 2021).

The only other option for Florida would be to sign another goalie who meets the rules and could then be exposed.
Basically like the Rangers did with Keith Kinkaid so they wouldn't have to expose Georgiev.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Nope none of the Florida goalies needs to be red.

Teams need to expose at least one goalie who is either a 2021 RFA or under contract for at least the 2021-22 season.

With Bobrovsky being excempt and Driedger being an UFA, Desrosiers has to be exposed as he's their only goalie that meets those rules(he's an RFA in 2021).

The only other option for Florida would be to sign another goalie who meets the rules and could then be exposed.
Basically like the Rangers did with Keith Kinkaid so they wouldn't have to expose Georgiev.

Bleh screw up that sentence up i was talking about boston the list doesn't have any one being protected. Separate of Florida which Bobrovsky had a NMC

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I'd definitely take a run at some of the UFAs personally. I know Rask is a huge question mark at the moment, but if Boston is legitimately ready to move on, he'd give you guys an elite, albeit older, starter

Andersen/Grubauer/Raanta/etc would all be good options as well

Lots of time to go, and lots might change between now and the offseason

Definitely some of the 1a/1b types like Allen, Talbot, Khudobin/etc etc

I'd also look at some of the younger, unheralded guys ~ Husso, Ingram, even Stolarz will all have legitimate opportunities this year and you'll be able to make a lot more informed decisions there

Honestly, it'll come down to strategizing how best to maximize value from your picks... ie even if a goalie looks good, do you really want to pass on some of the other talent their team made available?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Honestly, it'll come down to strategizing how best to maximize value from your picks... ie even if a goalie looks good, do you really want to pass on some of the other talent their team made available?

Like others have said before we should go BPA.

Though, we'll have to select at least three goalies and will need to make good decisions.
Especially since we need solid goaltending to have a shot at a good first season and maybe challenging for a playoff spot.

On top of that, most teams with less intriguing exposed talent also don't have much quality at the goalkeeper position to choose from as well.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Way-too-early Roster prediction:

Killorn Wennberg Oshie
Perron Steel Donskoi
Dube Soderberg/Haula/Eakin Fischer
Wood Carpenter/Nosek Simmonds
Wagner

Gardiner Miller
Mete Mayfield
Kukan Clifton
Lindgren Hunt

Khudobin
young goalie

after trades

Should be under 70m & reach the 20 contract rule. Some players are going to have to be left on the table due to not having a contract for 2022.

Obviously a lot can change with UFA and even RFA deals in the offseason. I wouldn't be surprised to see some Deja Vu with Eakin, Haula and Nosek drafted from their new clubs because of A)familiarity with the expansion process and B)familiarity with each other. (A lot of the Golden Knights knowing each other before camp was a big part of their success IMO)
Blues will protect David perron.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
capfriendly has the exp draft simulator but the "Quick Protect" function seems to be broken. Anybody able to quick protect players for every team?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
capfriendly has the exp draft simulator but the "Quick Protect" function seems to be broken. Anybody able to quick protect players for every team?

It's not just that.
Last time around I tried an expansion draft(while doing the protections myself) it wouldn't show me the players I selected after clicking on "view team".

Seems like they've got some things to do updating the free agents before they can fix this as well.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Updated my goalie list at page #10.

I forgot Bobrovsky's NMC but no matter what they'll protect him anyways.

Though, the Maple Leafs have signed Mitchell Hutchinson to a two year deal worth $725K a year.
Therefore they're able to protect Jack Campbell(both Anderson and Dell are UFA in 2021), which means one less solid 1B option for us to choose from.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
There should be one good or promising player for ya from the Rangers especially.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Updated my goalie list at page #10.

I forgot Bobrovsky's NMC but no matter what they'll protect him anyways.

Though, the Maple Leafs have signed Mitchell Hutchinson to a two year deal worth $725K a year.
Therefore they're able to protect Jack Campbell(both Anderson and Dell are UFA in 2021), which means one less solid 1B option for us to choose from.
Will any good forwards from the Leafs be exposed? Hyman?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
LeBrun: Kraken already eying leverage in NHL expansion draft

Paywall. LeBrun with some thoughts on expansion draft, with some quotes from Francis.

2021 Expansion Draft
My thoughts/notes on Sharks exposure with expansion draft.

They currently have zero forwards (not named Couture, Hertl, Kane, Labanc or Meier) with the experience (TBD) and contract status to be exposed.

For the 2017 expansion draft, they explicitly signed two guys in such a way it was easy to see they'd be exposed. It could be just before camp the Sharks sign a body or few to be exposed in draft. Or they sign a few guys to extensions to be exposed (IMHO this will be how they go; part of it is determining who they want to keep around, if Seattle doesn't grab).

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Will any good forwards from the Leafs be exposed? Hyman?

Hyman will be a UFA next summer unless he signs an extension before that.

Though looking at Leafs forwards, I could see Kerfoot or Engvall being available next summer.

@LadyStanley
Yeah Burns could be in play next summer as long as you guys don't have a bounce back season.

Though, he'll be 36 by then with four more years of $8mil AAV.
I really like the guy, and he's taken care of himself really well, but that might cost you something extra for us to take that kind of money off your books.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Though, he'll be 36 by then with four more years of $8mil AAV.
I really like the guy, and he's taken care of himself really well, but that might cost you something extra for us to take that kind of money off your books.

I don't anticipate the Sharks "paying" to have a player picked (unless they really want the cap space; I'm thinking less than 25% chance they sweeten the pot).

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I think if Francis plays his cards right Seattle could win the cup in year 1.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
LeBrun: Kraken already eying leverage in NHL expansion draft

Paywall. LeBrun with some thoughts on expansion draft, with some quotes from Francis.

2021 Expansion Draft
My thoughts/notes on Sharks exposure with expansion draft.

They currently have zero forwards (not named Couture, Hertl, Kane, Labanc or Meier) with the experience (TBD) and contract status to be exposed.

For the 2017 expansion draft, they explicitly signed two guys in such a way it was easy to see they'd be exposed. It could be just before camp the Sharks sign a body or few to be exposed in draft. Or they sign a few guys to extensions to be exposed (IMHO this will be how they go; part of it is determining who they want to keep around, if Seattle doesn't grab).
Im thinking either Sorenson if he sticks around, or maybe Sheary would fit that bill. Maybe the sharks want someone on a 2 year deal just to be exposed

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Im thinking either Sorenson if he sticks around, or maybe Sheary would fit that bill. Maybe the sharks want someone on a 2 year deal just to be exposed

Sheary isn't signed (by the Sharks) yet. :D

Sorenson has been a player fans love to hate/scapegoat. :D (But not as much as Suomela.) Nieto might be the other forward signed to an extension.

My guess is that 2020-21 season NHL experience will be 1/2 the season (so a 48 game season equates to 24 games played). So, seeing who comes in and plays will be important. I'm thinking that True and Donato may be protected.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I don't anticipate the Sharks "paying" to have a player picked (unless they really want the cap space; I'm thinking less than 25% chance they sweeten the pot).

Completely understand that and I really like Burns.
He certainly will be able to contribute at a good rate during his contract but I have my doubts about the final year or two.

And those $8 mil AAV for each season could really limit what we could do during those seasons and is probably the only reason he might be made available by the Sharks.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Completely understand that and I really like Burns.
He certainly will be able to contribute at a good rate during his contract but I have my doubts about the final year or two.

And those $8 mil AAV for each season could really limit what we could do during those seasons and is probably the only reason he might be made available by the Sharks.
I am on the same page as @LadyStanley on Burns too. Burns contract is going to be an issue eventually but I don't expect that to happen for another 2+ years. If the Sharks are going to pay us for taking on a bad contract its going to be the like of Vlasic or Jones.

I am actually pretty relaxed about this draft. The flat cap has changed things tremendously and we will be in prime position to build a competitive team off the bat.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
@Fistfullofbeer - Vlasic has a NMC so would have to waive it to be exposed for expansion draft, or traded.
Right. I am aware of that. I just meant those are the 2 worst contracts on the Sharks and the only ones that the Sharks would be looking to get rid off even if it means they need to add.

Unless Merkley steps up significantly this year, Burns stays in San Jose. Even then, moving him is easier said than done with the flat cap. Either the Sharks retain or add a sweetener to move him. His contract runs through 40. I have always liked Burns as a Sharks fan but as a Kraken fan, I don't want that contract given his age.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I am on the same page as @LadyStanley on Burns too. Burns contract is going to be an issue eventually but I don't expect that to happen for another 2+ years. If the Sharks are going to pay us for taking on a bad contract its going to be the like of Vlasic or Jones.

I completely agree with you and think Burns will be solid for the next couple of years.

Though, those final one or two years,, with a cap hit of $8 mil, is something I'd rather us staying away from unless they offer a sweetener.

But given the current situation the Sharks are in I doubt they're interested in moving prospects or picks as they seem to be more on a path to a rebuild/retool of their roster.

I am actually pretty relaxed about this draft. The flat cap has changed things tremendously and we will be in prime position to build a competitive team off the bat.

I'm both relaxed and excited.

Though, I doubt we'll be as good as some might believe given that you can clearly see teams having 2 1/2 years to prepare for this expansion draft(just looking at Cap Friendlys Seattle Expansion Draft) and most likely won't be as inclined to make deals just to protect some of those exposed players.

The flat cap should help us and I hope we can use that to add prospects and picks but that will be about teams trying to get rid of contracts and adding a sweetener.

Overall it should be interesting who might be willing to add something while unloading a contract to us and which teams(I expect between five to ten) will basically only leave scraps for us to choose from.

BTW: The Hockey Guy's started a series of expansion draft possibilities for each team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->