Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
If the Isles can stick Ladd on LTIR the next couple of years and benefit from the LTIR space then why would they give away picks or prospects?

Because the article said so.
I didn't make that proposal but if they wanted to get rid off Ladd they'd have to give us something.

Though, if the Isles can just stick him at LTIR with no problems than they'd certainly not be motivated to do something like that.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Because the article said so.
I didn't make that proposal but if they wanted to get rid off Ladd they'd have to give us something.

Though, if the Isles can just stick him at LTIR with no problems than they'd certainly not be motivated to do something like that.
Yeah. I mean nobody is forcing teams to move players with bad contracts to us. They could trade them, buy them out, bury them in the minors (save some $$), or even stick them in LTIR.

Do keep in mind that LTIR saves cap savings but the team still has to pay the player. If the team is truly interested in saving $$ they have no option but to move the player out via a trade. Buy outs, LTIR, minors only help with cap hits and not true $$.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
I don't think Makar makes that much on this contract. He is still a non-arbitration eligible RFA. My guess is they bridge him at around 6M AAV or so before his RFA status expires and then give him a bigger contract after. Avs are built to win now and have a decent sized window.

They have players like Graves, Donskoi, etc. that can easily be exposed in the expansion draft to create cap space right now if they need to. Sure. MacKinnon's next contract is gonna be expensive 10M+ but they have 2 years to use that cap space to win the SC. I expect Landeskog gets back at about 7-8M AAV. Not sure about the term. I doubt the Avs want to give 8 years to a player who plays a physical style like Landeskog and has to deal with injuries often. Maybe a 5-6 year contract.

LeBrun mentioned that Cabot received 8 years at 8 million in the same non-arb situation.
Absolutely ZERO chance Makar signs for less then Chabot. Many are estimating he lands between 9-10 million per.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Hello flat cap issue for the next several years. Players are not GOING to get high contract increases. You do not let top line players walk for free if you can't no longer afford a player you trade him not let him go for nothing. Landy isn't going anywhere and markar isn't going to get that high kind of salary not with a flat cap.

Like Petro got with the flat cap last year at 8.8? or like Petro last year walking?

Makar is going to get paid and 6 million is not going to do it.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
LeBrun mentioned that Cabot received 8 years at 8 million in the same non-arb situation.
Absolutely ZERO chance Makar signs for less then Chabot. Many are estimating he lands between 9-10 million per.

A. That deal was signed in Sept. 2019. Pre-Covid. Pre flat-cap.
B. Ottawa had just traded away Erik Karlsson and needed a long-term replacement. And really using Ottawa as anything for a template is a terrible idea. Their management sucks.
C. When players like MacKinnon took lesser amount on the Avs in a similar situation, I expect Makar to do the same.

Time will tell what Makar ends up getting but I would be very surprised if he gets 8 x 8. My expectation would be getting bridged for now for 6M or so and sign a long term contract after.

Also, comparing a UFA to an RFA is hardly a fair comparison so lets not compare Petro to Makar.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
What hasn't been greatly discussed, ad was discussed yesterday on ESPN Radio, is the exclusive UFA window that Seattle has. While that window has been discussed, on this thread, the current environment, i.e. large and talented UFA class, plus the flat cap, etc. may have an impact on how Seattle Builds their roster. While Vegas took the route of building a stockpile of both draft picks, young players, and Vets on the last year of their contract (Assuming to flip at the TDL) they didn't go after to many UFA in their negotiation window.
The ability to sign guy's like Landeskog, Hamilton, RNH, Hoffman, etc and fill that team in from the expansion draft, maybe an option.

One of the Mock Drafts that I have seen and really like, and would immediately allow Seattle to play that Western Conference Heavy Possession Type Game.
They would be counting on a couple of the younger Centers to Develop.

Goalie
Khudobin (Dal)
Daccord (OTT)
Vanecek (Was)

Defense
Subban (NJ)
Matheson (Pit)
Zadorov (Chi)
Cernak (TB)
Soucy (Min)
Nutivaara (FL)
Bear (Edm)
Bean (Car)
Mahura (Ana)

Forwards
Landeskog UFA (COL)
Hoffman UFA (STL)
Lindblom (PHILY)
Lowry (Win)
Panik (DET)
Virtanen (Van)
Kunin (Nash)
Eakin (Buf)
Ritchie (Bos)
Athanasiou UFA (LA)
Burke (AZ)
Bellows (NYI)
Howden (NYR)
Dube (Cal)
True (SJ)
J. Anderson (TOR)
Evans (Mon)
Pu (CLB)

Virtanen is currently facing a Civil suit for sexual assault charges and is being investigated by the VPD. I think he's pretty hands off to be selected in the expansion draft.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Virtanen is currently facing a Civil suit for sexual assault charges and is being investigated by the VPD. I think he's pretty hands off to be selected in the expansion draft.
He’s probably getting bought out

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Yeah likely. Time to prepare for someone else. I think it's gotta be to take a chance on someone like Lind, Gadjovich, or MacEwen.
Lind’s just too slow/weak, his skills and willingness to mix it up is intriguing but he can’t forecheck.

I’d like to follow the Vegas model of going after players who can forecheck effectively, skate fast and move the puck quickly. Out of those 3 that just leaves MacEwen, but Gadjovich is probably the “money puck” puck with the stats he put up in the AHL this year

Reactions: G Backup

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
On your other expansion thread I saw you guys picked Kivlenieks from the CBJ. Curious as to why you’d want him over Robinson/Kukan?

That was probably a guess.

I would take Robinson but I'm not sure if he'll be available(you could just leave Nyquist unprotected after his injury) at all.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I've just created another mock draft after the regular season has ended.

One thing is for sure, Francis and his staff will have their hands full making those picks.

Like said before, I always have some trouble reaching those 20 players under contract for next season and look for younger guys(besides Johnson, Oshie and Subban in this one) to give us as much cap flexibility as possible.

This roster would be at $61.2 mil(all contracts) with about $51.3 committed to next season.
Because of that we would have about $30 mil in cap space to re-sign a couple of those players and use the rest for trades or free agency.

There's also a couple extra defenders to flip after the expansion draft.

TeamPlayerPositionSalaryContract
AnaheimHaydn FleuryLD/RD$1.32022
ArizonaAdin HillG$800 K2021(RFA)
BostonJeremy LauzonLD/RD$850 K2022
BuffaloWilliam BorgenRD$864 K2021(RFA)
CalgaryOliver KylingtonLD$787 K2021(RFA)
CarolinaMorgan GeekieC$763 K2021(RFA)
ChicagoRiley StillmanLD$733 K2024
ColoradoRyan GravesLD$3.162023
ColumbusEric RobinsonLW$975 K2022
DallasJason DickinsonC$1.52021(RFA)
DetroitGivani SmithLW$714 K2021(RFA)
EdmontonCaleb JonesLD$850 K2022
FloridaChris DriedgerG$850 K2021(UFA)
Los AngelesAustin WagnerRW$1.332023
MinnesotaNico SturmC$725 K2022
MontrealJake AllenG$2.8752023
NashvilleYakov TreninLW$725 K2022
New JerseyP. K. SubbanRD$9.02022
New York IslandersScott MayfieldRD$1.452023
New York RangersJulien GauthierRW$863 K2021(RFA)
OttawaChrist TierneyC$3.52022
PhiladelphiaShayne GhostisbehereLD$4.52023
PittsburghJared McCannLW$2.942022
San JoseDylan GambrellC$700 K2021(RFA)
St. LouisVince DunnLD$1.8752021(RFA)
Tampa BayTyler JohnsonRW$5.02024
TorontoAlexander KerfootC$3.52023
VancouverJonah GadjovichLW$783 K2021(RFA)
WashingtonT.J. OshieRW$5.752025
WinnipegMason AppletonRW$900 K2022
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
How are your current expansion draft lists look like?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

One thing is for sure, Francis and his staff will have their hands full making those picks.

Like said before, I always have some trouble reaching those 20 players under contract for next season and look for younger guys(besides Johnson, Oshie and Subban in this one) to give us as much cap flexibility as possible.

This roster would be at $61.2 mil(all contracts) with about $51.3 committed to next season.
Because of that we would have about $30 mil in cap space to re-sign a couple of those players and use the rest for trades or free agency.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Are we going to be getting some sweeteners for some of these picks as well? I know the list is purely who we pick but was curious if you left that part out just to keep things simple.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I like the Kylington choice over Giordano.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Are we going to be getting some sweeteners for some of these picks as well? I know the list is purely who we pick but was curious if you left that part out just to keep things simple.

Johnson definitly.
Oshie maybe and maybe a later pick for Subban.

Overall I was a bit undecided about Florida and NJ.
We could've also gone with a player under contract from Florida(Marchment, Goudas, Nutivaara etc.) and taken a younger guy like Merkley or Koukkanen.

Though, that would've meant taking another goalie like Vanecek.

But I'm also just spitballing and the actual list of Francis will certainly look different with hopefully a couple more side deal.s

How would your list look like?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Johnson definitly.
Oshie maybe and maybe a later pick for Subban.

Overall I was a bit undecided about Florida and NJ.
We could've also gone with a player under contract from Florida(Marchment, Goudas, Nutivaara etc.) and taken a younger guy like Merkley or Koukkanen.

Though, that would've meant taking another goalie like Vanecek.

But I'm also just spitballing and the actual list of Francis will certainly look different with hopefully a couple more side deal.s

How would your list look like?
Pretty close to yours actually. I am just not sure about Subban at 9M though it is just a year. Now if the Devils added something, maybe I would bite on that. Some picks I may do slightly different are:

Might pick Simek instead of Gambrell from the Sharks.
Bean from the Hurricanes.
I was almost thinking going Kuokkonen from the Devils.
Jarnkork from the Preds (I may bite on Johansen or Duchene if we don't have 'C' depth)

But unless we both are looking at the same protection lists, its hard to really say. .. :D

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Pretty close to yours actually. I am just not sure about Subban at 9M though it is just a year. Now if the Devils added something, maybe I would bite on that. Some picks I may do slightly different are:

Might pick Simek instead of Gambrell from the Sharks.
Bean from the Hurricanes.
I was almost thinking going Kuokkonen from the Devils.
Jarnkork from the Preds (I may bite on Johansen or Duchene if we don't have 'C' depth)

But unless we both are looking at the same protection lists, its hard to really say. .. :D

Yeah, Subban was just some pick to have those 20 players under contract while keeping the other picks.

I have Carolina protecting Bean and like the possible upside of Geekie.

I also have the Preds going 4-4-1 protecting Kunin, Arvidsson, Forsberg and Jarnkrok and wouldn't bite on Johansen/Duchene given their cap hit of $8M for the next four or five years respectively.
At least not as long as they don't throw in a raelly nice sweetener.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah, Subban was just some pick to have those 20 players under contract while keeping the other picks.

I have Carolina protecting Bean and like the possible upside of Geekie.

I also have the Preds going 4-4-1 protecting Kunin, Arvidsson, Forsberg and Jarnkrok and wouldn't bite on Johansen/Duchene given their cap hit of $8M for the next four or five years respectively.
At least not as long as they don't throw in a raelly nice sweetener.

I would honestly go for Johansen even without a sweetener. He has 1 less year than Duchene on his contract and is only 28. I think a fresh start for him would be good and I would not be shocked to see him play like a 1C again. I don't expect that from Duchene simply because he has never been a true 1C. If there is a type of player taking a risk on, it would be Johansen.

Its really hard to go with picks unless we know exactly who is getting protected.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
there's a possiblity buffalo may give us Rienhart and perhaps get Okposo off the hooks or at least have a lesser cap hit (via retention).

Rienhart isn't happy there.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I would honestly go for Johansen even without a sweetener. He has 1 less year than Duchene on his contract and is only 28. I think a fresh start for him would be good and I would not be shocked to see him play like a 1C again. I don't expect that from Duchene simply because he has never been a true 1C. If there is a type of player taking a risk on, it would be Johansen.

Its really hard to go with picks unless we know exactly who is getting protected.

Yeah, it's hard to really know before those lists are available, especially given that teams can still trade players from now until then.

Though, I'm not that high on either of those Predators centers, especially if they don't add anything.

there's a possiblity buffalo may give us Rienhart and perhaps get Okposo off the hooks or at least have a lesser cap hit (via retention).

Rienhart isn't happy there.

I'm not that high an Reinhart(even though he had a good season, statistically) to take on those extra $6M a year, for the next two seasons, of Okposo.

Reihart's also an RFA(currently making $5.2M) and certainly going to cost something between $6 - $7 M a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad