Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdodd

Jun 24, 2017
The Flat Cap is what is going to make you guys good off the bat and/or a ton of quality prospects and draft picks. Not that you will take or get Burns from the Sharks, but if you did they would have to add a few picks and a quality kid that they already drafted in the AHL or still in Junior... That is one area where I dont think Vegas did anything.... Kids drafted in the last 1-2 years are closer than any draft pick...If I am Seattle, yes get a few extra 1st and 2nd round picks, but also get some A and B quality kids in the AHL or still in Juniors that were drafted in 19 and 20! So for example, would Ron Francis take Burns, plus their 1st round pick and lets say C Sasha Chmelevski and G Alexei Melnichuk?

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
So for example, would Ron Francis take Burns, plus their 1st round pick and lets say C Sasha Chmelevski and G Alexei Melnichuk?

Zero chance the Sharks offer or accept that kind of package. They need quality prospects as it is and that trade completely raids the cupboard.

Reactions: themelkman

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The Flat Cap is what is going to make you guys good off the bat and/or a ton of quality prospects and draft picks. Not that you will take or get Burns from the Sharks, but if you did they would have to add a few picks and a quality kid that they already drafted in the AHL or still in Junior... That is one area where I dont think Vegas did anything.... Kids drafted in the last 1-2 years are closer than any draft pick...If I am Seattle, yes get a few extra 1st and 2nd round picks, but also get some A and B quality kids in the AHL or still in Juniors that were drafted in 19 and 20! So for example, would Ron Francis take Burns, plus their 1st round pick and lets say C Sasha Chmelevski and G Alexei Melnichuk?

Yea, the flat cap will help us but you can just clearly see that teams have had 2 1/2 years to prepare for it(while also experience with the Vegas draft) and were able to put together rosters that mostly won't have them in danger of losing too much.

The trade you just mentioned is certainly something we should be looking at but I doubt that Sharks are a good example for that.
Unless they have a bounce back season they're on a rebuild themselves and certainly wouldn't be interested in giving away prospects or draft picks for just cap relief.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Zero chance the Sharks offer or accept that kind of package. They need quality prospects as it is and that trade completely raids the cupboard.
The only situation I foresee with Burns going is Seattle just taking Burns as their pick. The sharks dont need to protect anyone else, and Burns is not a bad player or really even on the decline yet. We would only do it for the cap relief and the fact that we have a Burns replacement in the wings who needs opportunity.

Jdodd

Jun 24, 2017
Valid points....Sharks are a bad example for this, would have been better to look at the 5-10 cup contending teams that would love some addtl. Cap space.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Valid points....Sharks are a bad example for this, would have been better to look at the 5-10 cup contending teams that would love some addtl. Cap space.

Personally, I don't think taking on any player whose contract is expiring after they are 35 is a good idea for us. Burns will be 36 by the time the 2021-22 season starts and has another 4 years on his contract at 8M AAV.

And yeah, I think we need to target teams that are contending right now and just need some relief. Leafs, Lightning are two teams that come to mind.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Just tried another expansion draft with Cap Friendly's simulator and came up with this.

TeamPlayerAgePositionSalaryContract
AnaheimSonny Milano25LW$1.7(RFA 2022)
ArizonaKyle Capobianco24D$750K(RFA 2022)
BostonJeremy Lauzon24RD$850K(RFA 2022)
BuffaloCollin Miller29RD$3.875(UFA 2022)
CalgarySam Bennett25LW/C$2.55(RFA 2021)
CarolinaJake Bean23LD$860K(RFA 2021)
ChicagoNikita Zadorov26LD/RD$3.2(RFA 2021)
ColoradoDevon Toews27LD$4.1(UFA 2024)
ColumbusDean Kukan28RD$1.65(UFA 2022)
DallasJulius Honka25RD$700K(RFA 2021)
DetroitGivani Smith23LW$714K(RFA 2021)
EdmontonCaleb Jones24LD$850K(RFA 2022)
FloridaRadko Goudas31RD$2.5(UFA 2023)
Los AngelesMartin Frk28LW$725K(UFA 2022)
MinnesotaJordan Greenway24LW$2.1(RFA 2022)
MontrealJake Allen31G$2.85(UFA 2023)
NashvilleConnor Ingram24G$733K(RFA 2023)
New JerseyMiles Wood26LW$2.75(RFA 2022)
New York IslandersScott Mayfield29RD$1.45(UFA 2023)
New York RangersBrendan Lemieux25LW$1.55(RFA 2022)
OttawaFilip Chlapik24C$735K(RFA 2021)
PhiladelphiaJames van Riemsdyk32LW$7.0(UFA 2023)
PittsburghJared McCann25LW$2.94(RFA 2022)
San JoseMaxim Letunov25C$700K(RFA 2021)
St. LouisSammy Blais25LW/RW$1.5(RFA 2022)
Tampa BayTyler Johnson31LW$5.0(UFA 2024)
TorontoTravis Dermott24LD$875K(RFA 2021)
VancouverBraden Holtby31G$4.3(UFA 2022)
WashingtonT.J. Oshie34RW/C$5.75(UFA 2025)
WinnipegMason Appleton25RW/C$900K(RFA 2022)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It would meet the requirements of at least 20 players being under contract for 2021-22 and would be over the cap floor with $67.7 mil.

We could then flip some of those players to other teams and use the remaining money to re-sign the RFA's we want while still having some fllexibility in free agency.
Having that flexibility in Free Agency would also be needed, because the team(as constructed) would be really thin at C.

Also, Johnson, van Riemsdyk and Oshie would only be drafted if their teams gave us prospects/picks on top of it.

How would your team look like?

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just tried another expansion draft with Cap Friendly's simulator and came up with this.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It would meet the requirements of at least 20 players being under contract for 2021-22 and would be over the cap floor with $67.7 mil.

We could then flip some of those players to other teams and use the remaining money to re-sign the RFA's we want while still having some fllexibility in free agency.
Having that flexibility in Free Agency would also be needed, because the team(as constructed) would be really thin at C.

Also, Johnson, van Riemsdyk and Oshie would only be drafted if their teams gave us prospects/picks on top of it.

With a flat cap, I would just say to be careful about taking guys in their early 30's who are already declining in production. That's not a good sign, and that would include Washington natives Oshie and Johnson given both have term until 2024 and 2025.

Seattle won't see as many teams stuck with a NMC as Vegas saw. Teams have been preparing for that. Plus, I don't see teams going out of their way to protect a single player.

Where Seattle benefits, is the flat cap and teams making middle 6 players available whereas in the Vegas ED, they would have protected them, but with a flat cap teams have to think about getting cap space to pay their own RFA.

So, for any player making $5 mill or so in cap costs, Seattle should press the other team to give up an asset to have them take the player in the ED. With a flat cap Seattle can still go sign players in free agency. So that is the leverage point Seattle should use to gain more assets.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The Avs just traded for and signed a 4 year contract with Toews. I don't think they are doing that just to expose him in the XD.

Reactions: Makar27

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
With a flat cap, I would just say to be careful about taking guys in their early 30's who are already declining in production. That's not a good sign, and that would include Washington natives Oshie and Johnson given both have term until 2024 and 2025.

Seattle won't see as many teams stuck with a NMC as Vegas saw. Teams have been preparing for that. Plus, I don't see teams going out of their way to protect a single player.

Where Seattle benefits, is the flat cap and teams making middle 6 players available whereas in the Vegas ED, they would have protected them, but with a flat cap teams have to think about getting cap space to pay their own RFA.

So, for any player making $5 mill or so in cap costs, Seattle should press the other team to give up an asset to have them take the player in the ED. With a flat cap Seattle can still go sign players in free agency. So that is the leverage point Seattle should use to gain more assets.

Do you have any specific players which could be available because of this?

Also, like I've said Oshie, Johnson and van Riemsdyk would only be considered if their teams would give us a nice sweetener to take those contracts.
If not then there are other good options to choose from on their respective teams.

The Avs just traded for and signed a 4 year contract with Toews. I don't think they are doing that just to expose him in the XD.

I protected Johnson(NMC), Makar and Girard and went 7-3-1 for them.

So unless Johnson waives his NMC or they go 4-4-1 it will be really hard for them to keep all the guys they want to retain.

Though, maybe they could make a treade with us to keep Toews in this scenario.

Another option could be if Landeskog(will be an UFA next summer) is OK with being exposed and tells outright he only wants to play for the Avs.
That would give Colorado a better chance to go 4-4-1.

But even then we could still get a guy like Ryan Graves for our blueline.

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I actually don't like any of the picks they make.
Price especially makes no sense at all cause the Habs won't expose him, while he also has an NMC, and I also wouldn't like a 34 year old goalie with $10.5 AAV for five more years.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
Do you have any specific players which could be available because of this?

Also, like I've said Oshie, Johnson and van Riemsdyk would only be considered if their teams would give us a nice sweetener to take those contracts.
If not then there are other good options to choose from on their respective teams.

I protected Johnson(NMC), Makar and Girard and went 7-3-1 for them.

So unless Johnson waives his NMC or they go 4-4-1 it will be really hard for them to keep all the guys they want to retain.

Though, maybe they could make a treade with us to keep Toews in this scenario.

Another option could be if Landeskog(will be an UFA next summer) is OK with being exposed and tells outright he only wants to play for the Avs.
That would give Colorado a better chance to go 4-4-1.

But even then we could still get a guy like Ryan Graves for our blueline.

Most likely Graves, Jost, or Compher. The feeling is that EJ will waive or be bought out although it is not something Sakic is know to do. It will be interesting.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I was looking at the expansion simulator today and I noticed all the best picks for Seattle are D men. I wonder if they would think about taking an abundance of young D men like Bean, Kylington, Dunn etc and then think about dealing them to teams for some good forwards and prospects and picks.

Reactions: Makar27

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I was looking at the expansion simulator today and I noticed all the best picks for Seattle are D men. I wonder if they would think about taking an abundance of young D men like Bean, Kylington, Dunn etc and then think about dealing them to teams for some good forwards and prospects and picks.

That would be the smart thing to do. I think you go BPA in both the expansion draft as well as 2021 draft. Need to set realistic expectations and not think that we are going to be Vegas 2.0 in the 2021-22 season. Just got to build out for the future.

I think the flat cap helps us in a lot of ways.
- Teams willing to expose good players with decent cap hits because the team is against the cap and/or has looming RFA contracts.
- Teams willing to expose good players who are slightly overpaid with some kind of sweetener(s).
- We have more flexibility with giving contracts to FA's. That and no state income tax.

Load up on the best players available in the expansion draft and then move them to other teams.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
That would be the smart thing to do. I think you go BPA in both the expansion draft as well as 2021 draft. Need to set realistic expectations and not think that we are going to be Vegas 2.0 in the 2021-22 season. Just got to build out for the future.

- Teams willing to expose good players with decent cap hits because the team is against the cap and/or has looming RFA contracts.
- Teams willing to expose good players who are slightly overpaid with some kind of sweetener(s).
- We have more flexibility with giving contracts to FA's. That and no state income tax.

Load up on the best players available in the expansion draft and then move them to other teams.
Wouldnt that only help them if they choose to live outside the city? I thought Seattle itself had a pretty high income tax

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I completely agree.

Looking at what Vegas achieved right out of the gate makes no sense and most fans also don't seem to do that anyways.
There've been polls about what people expect and it's more along the lines of young, fast players mixed with a couple of veterans to lead them.

While looking at the rosters you can clearly see teams had way more time to prepare(and knowledge, just thinking about the minimal number of NMC's handed out currently) and there are some teams with a brutal list of exposed players for us to choose from.

That's why going younger(and cheaper) makes the most sense IMO, especially given that we could try and sign some players in free agency afterwards, which is something Francis has said we want to be a player in.

So I'd like a mix of younger guys and a couple of veterans and I'd mostly want us to make those veterans count, meaning that we should take two to four higher paid guys during the expansion draft while being rewarded with prospects and picks for that.
We should also load up on talented players we might be able to trade for something else and looking at the current lists I think we could easily load up on talented blueliners and trade them after the expansion draft.

Also:
Even with all the success they had so far, no one looked at that Vegas roster after the expansion draft(or even before the season started) and said that's a playoff team with aspirations for more.

Wouldnt that only help them if they choose to live outside the city? I thought Seattle itself had a pretty high income tax

Good question.
Over here in Germany you always pay your income taxes to the state you're living in and I would think it's the same way in the States.

Last edited:

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Seattle doesn’t have an income tax. There is a quasi-head tax on companies with employees making over x-amount. But there is no income tax in Seattle.

No state income tax is offset by higher sales tax and real estate taxes (in comparison to states with income taxes) along with the business tax mentioned. Those vary by county and even by locality with the counties other than King being lower. The cost of rents or real estate in Seattle area are significantly higher than most other cities excepting a few in the NHL however.

The lure of no state income tax is offset by these factors somewhat but can still be a factor in FA possibilities imo having lived in several metro areas around the country including Seattle area.

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Another information.

Mats Zuccarello of the Minnesota Wild has been ruled out for the upcoming season and therefore will be excempt from the expansion draft.

That's pretty big news because Zuccarello has an NMC in his contract and would've needed to be protected otherwise.

BTW: Here's another try at an expansion draft of mine.

TeamPlayerPositionSalaryContract
AnaheimSonnie MilanoLW$1.7RFA 2022
ArizonaKyle CapobiancoRD$775KRFA 2022
BostonAnderes BjorkLW$1.6RFA 2023
BuffaloColin MillerRD$3.875UFA 2022
CalgaryDillon DubeRW$778KRFA 2021
CarolinaHaydn FleuryLD/RD$1.3RFA 2022
ChicagoNikita ZadorovLD/RD$3.2RFA 2021
ColoradoRyan GravesLD$3.166UFA 2023
ColumbusMatiss KivlenieksGoalie$725KRFA 2022
DallasJamie OleksiakLD$2.137UFA 2021
DetroitGivani SmithLW$714KRFA 2021
EdmontonKyle TurrisC$1.65UFA 2022
FloridaMarkus NutivaaraRD$2.7UFA 2022
Los AngelesMartin FrkRW$725KUFA 2022
MinnesotaNico SturmC$725KUFA 2022
MontrealJake AllenGoalie$2.885UFA 2023
NashvilleConnor IngramGoalie$733KRFA 2023
New JerseyNick MerkelyC$874KRFA 2021
New York IslandersScott MayfieldRD$1.45UFA 2023
New York RangersRyan StromeC$4.5UFA 2022
OttawaChris TierneyC$3.5UFA 2022
PhiladelphiaNicolas Aube-KubelRW$1.075RFA 2022
PittsburghTeddy BluegerC$750KRFA 2021
San JoseRadim SimekLD$2.25UFA 2024
St. LouisSamuel BlaisRW$1.5RFA 2022
Tampa BayCal FooteRD$925KRFA 2021
TorontoTravis DermottLD$874KRFA 2021
VancouverBraden HoltbyGoalie$4.3UFA 2022
WashingtonT.J. OshieRW$5.75UFA 2025
WinnipegMason AppletonRW$900KRFA 2022
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I've again loaded up on defense which makes sense with the options available and the possibility to flip a couple of those players later on.

Strome, Tierney and Turris would also be solid down the middle, but it's lacking on the wings.

Overall this team would be at $57.8 mil(which would change with trades and extensions) and would give us solid goaltending and a good blueline while also leaving enough cap space to try and sign a forward or two.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Another information.

Mats Zuccarello of the Minnesota Wild has been ruled out for the upcoming season

Is there something official from the Wild on this? No, nothing...it's just nonsense.

He could be ready to play in mid to late January.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Is there something official from the Wild on this? No, nothing...it's just nonsense.

He could be ready to play in mid to late January.

My bad.
I read somewhere he could be out for the season.

So that would actually be a good thing for us for the expansion draft.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Honestly with the flat cap you could probably extort picks out of almost every team while taking the guy you planned on anyways. I'm excited to see how it all comes together.

I think it's easily possible you end up with more 1st round picks than Vegas did.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Honestly with the flat cap you could probably extort picks out of almost every team while taking the guy you planned on anyways. I'm excited to see how it all comes together.

I think it's easily possible you end up with more 1st round picks than Vegas did.

Here's the question does Seattle attempt to leverage out 2022 draft picks instead of 2021 draft picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->