Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
It might have hurt him, but it was partly Jost's decision as well. After a few years that excuse does not wash any longer. He has had enough time to develop into something more. He has been given plenty of ice time and played with decent players. I am sure if thrown on one of top 2 lines in Seattle he would do better, but I don't think his upside is too high. He just doesn't show much to say yeah he can get to another level. Nothing wrong with a good checker and PK'er who can chip in a few points. For a high first rounder though with all the hype that is a big disappointment.
Wow,down him or what! Jost still has time make it a long and successful NHL career! Tyson has played with good linemates? Which two were they exactly? All because the individual players he might have with for a "considerable" time might be talented that doesn't mean they had any chemistry! Chemistry is everything in hockey! Or maybe he's bean reluctant to take the"pill",or "Stab" a needle in his butt...reality says most "Sports" are filled with "dopers",recreational and pharmaceutical or both!!! I like Tyson Jost and the Avalanche may still protect him but for Seattle's sake,I'm pulling for him to be amongst the first chosen! In most of my mocks he's been a regular! I even had Colorado through in a draft pick in 2021 to stay away from "certain" (wink wink) players?Too often I've seen players get excited in being a first rounder and not realize where in the pecking order they fall! Agents fault? Since their "Free Agency" year is not for at least 7 years they are stuck in limbo! A player should be able to be a Unrestricted Free person"Free agent") in no less than 4 years! That is part of what's wrong with the System it is built to keep players under control for too long hindering some players opportunities for bettering themselves in position and salary! Why would I want to play 4th when some other NHL team may offer me a position on the 3rd line with PK and some PP or OT 3-3 because of his speed! I bet if "Pro" hockey ever went to permanent 4-4 he'd be awesome! Perhaps Seattle gets Bratt to lineup on his Wing?
Have thought for many many years now that hockey at all levels needs to put the speed,skill.passing,excitement back into the game! The "game" has become like a chess match or worse"Soccer" with few goals and boring,slow action! The beauty of hockey is its flow and how quick strikes and counter strikes with goals energizes the crowd,audience,building,atmosphere in an instance! Hockey is like no other Sport for excitement! The Greatest game in the World! Bring back the slapshot from the point and the Wing that terrifies goaltenders and gives the shooter an equal chance to score! If all the shooter has is a slight chance it kills potential excitement and goals! The NHL doesn't want to hear there is something "wrong" with their game!When will Fans go back to watching the games in droves! Will the Corporations continue to pay? Sorry I went off on a tangent...

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Hopefully Kraken scouts are diligently doing their homework. Las Vegas' successful draft left a lot of teams' decision makers with acres of egg on their face. The other teams will see us coming this time. It won't be easy.
Seattle is up against the Wall actually! Vegas had a lot more to choose from in the Forward department and some teams gifted them players and draft picks! Seattle will get additional draft picks too I'm thinking and will likely be able to ice a better younger defensive lineup including a young netminder with huge upside!

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Jost would excellent in Seattle! Toews will not be made available

Again, if he would be available and neither of us knows those lists at this moment in time. ;)

My biggest fear right now is that we grab one of Vlasic or Jones from the Sharks. The Sharks are the team I have followed since I got into hockey about 11-12 years back but I really do not want us to touch either of those players with a 10 foot pole.

Do they have any AHL guys with upside or something like that?
There's going to be really slim pickings from the Sharks and we'd probably best suited taking a chance on one of their younger guys.

BTW: A question to you guys and gals.
How many UFA/RFA do youn think we'll take during the expansion draft?

Vegas didn't take any of those but given the way GM's have structured contracts(also thanks to the pandamic), there are currently loads of players(barring any extensions) that will be UFA or RFA in 2021.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Again, if he would be available and neither of us knows those lists at this moment in time. ;)

Do they have any AHL guys with upside or something like that?
There's going to be really slim pickings from the Sharks and we'd probably best suited taking a chance on one of their younger guys.

Vegas didn't take any of those but given the way GM's have structured contracts(also thanks to the pandamic), there are currently loads of players(barring any extensions) that will be UFA or RFA in 2021.

Sure but they won't qualify for the expansion draft on their own. I expect the Sharks to go 7/3/1 and expose one of Balcers or Gambrell at F, Simek at D and Jones at G. For us, we can just get one of the forwards and I would breathe a sigh of relief.

As far as your other question, I had to look it up but looks like Vegas did grab a player from every team (30). The article below is from 2019 but it shows which players were grabbed.

The 30 players taken in Vegas expansion draft: Where are they now? - Sportsnet.ca.

I expect us to do much of the same. We are not obligated to keep the players and can always choose to waive them if we want or move them out (if they have value).

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Totally unrelated to the topics on hand, but part of me wonders if a guy like Vitek Vanecek is playing himself into consideration. Haven't had a chance to watch him play but his numbers aren't too bad as Samsonov's backup (and current fill in)

Of course, the Caps will have a wealth of interesting names for you guys to consider.... more just making the point that there could be some.unheralded young goalies who are raising their stock this year

Last edited:
Reactions: andys

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008

I believe the rules are that you have to take 20 players currently under contract, in which case I could see Francis taking the full 10 allowed (or close to it)

Part of me wonders if they'll tailor the rules a bit for these weird times, ie adjusting the minimums for GP/allowing more FAs to be picked, but it seems unlikely the closer we get to the draft

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Was just playing with the CapFriendly Draft, and maybe others can chime in. Going through Dallas' available players, I noticed Ben Bishop has an NMC, thus, keeping him protected. Would Dallas actually protect him, leaving Khudobin available? Was thinking since Dobby's signed until 2023, him & Jake Allen would be a decent tandem for a couple years while Seattle gets their feet wet. Or, will Dallas somehow move him/buy him out and keep Dobby?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Was just playing with the CapFriendly Draft, and maybe others can chime in. Going through Dallas' available players, I noticed Ben Bishop has an NMC, thus, keeping him protected. Would Dallas actually protect him, leaving Khudobin available? Was thinking since Dobby's signed until 2023, him & Jake Allen would be a decent tandem for a couple years while Seattle gets their feet wet. Or, will Dallas somehow move him/buy him out and keep Dobby?

A NTC does not mean anything with regards to exposing him for the Expansion draft. I expect Bishop to be exposed.

CLAUSE DETAILS: 2020-21 & 2021-22: Player submits a 10 team no trade list. - 2022-23: Player submits a 8 team no trade list.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Sorry to drop in like this - I was watching the New Jersey - Buffalo game this afternoon and I started wondering what the Devils were going to do with P.K. when the expansion draft decisions were made. On a couple of depth charts I've seen he's at 2 but is he going to be protected?

P.S. Neat thread!

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
A NTC does not mean anything with regards to exposing him for the Expansion draft. I expect Bishop to be exposed.

There is some inconsistent information about Bishop's clauses out there. The original contract 'report' from Pierre Lebrun was that it contained a NMC for the entirety of the contract, and a modified NTC for the last three years (covering the expansion draft period.) Which... doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But that's what the report was, and what CapFriendly shows.

(Which would of course require him to be protected, leaving Khudobin exposed.)

Attachments

• benbishop.png
    benbishop.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 3

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Sure but they won't qualify for the expansion draft on their own. I expect the Sharks to go 7/3/1 and expose one of Balcers or Gambrell at F, Simek at D and Jones at G. For us, we can just get one of the forwards and I would breathe a sigh of relief.

As far as your other question, I had to look it up but looks like Vegas did grab a player from every team (30). The article below is from 2019 but it shows which players were grabbed.

The 30 players taken in Vegas expansion draft: Where are they now? - Sportsnet.ca.

I expect us to do much of the same. We are not obligated to keep the players and can always choose to waive them if we want or move them out (if they have value).
From the Sharks I'd take Jonathan Dahlen(Timra)!He might score 100 pts this season

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
1. He is Sharks property but unsigned currently.
2. I expect he would not qualify for the draft even if he was signed because he has not played enough NHL games.
I thought the same thing.At this point Cap friendly has him as a player they have to protect and not exempt

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
Sorry to drop in like this - I was watching the New Jersey - Buffalo game this afternoon and I started wondering what the Devils were going to do with P.K. when the expansion draft decisions were made. On a couple of depth charts I've seen he's at 2 but is he going to be protected?

I don't know much about the Devils' D expansion draft exposure situation, but based on his contract and the play I've seen from Subban since he's been with the team, I'd expect NJ to expose him to the expansion draft in hopes of Seattle taking on the last year of his contract. He's an easy expansion pass for me at this point based on his play. A much better option IMO is Gostisbehere. The Flyers will have to expose or trade him. He's now healthy and playing on the 'top' pairing with Provorov and looking very solid. I have top in quotes, because the Myers / Sanheim 2nd pair has put up better numbers and I think will be the best D unit this year, but Ghost is playing well and should put up similar or better numbers this year playing on a much better contract than PK.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't know much about the Devils' D expansion draft exposure situation, but based on his contract and the play I've seen from Subban since he's been with the team, I'd expect NJ to expose him to the expansion draft in hopes of Seattle taking on the last year of his contract. He's an easy expansion pass for me at this point based on his play. A much better option IMO is Gostisbehere. The Flyers will have to expose or trade him. He's now healthy and playing on the 'top' pairing with Provorov and looking very solid. I have top in quotes, because the Myers / Sanheim 2nd pair has put up better numbers and I think will be the best D unit this year, but Ghost is playing well and should put up similar or better numbers this year playing on a much better contract than PK.
If we get to pick only one, I think Ghost is the better option. But if the team wants to hit the cap without spending money, Subban is a good choice too. His cap hit is 9M but will make only 2M of real money from us.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
What about Oskar Sundqvist with St. Louis...I thought maybe Kyrou but he's been playing great so may not expose him. Sundqvist getting 4th line minutes and I personally think he could play top six.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

P.S. Neat thread!

Depending on whether we resign Murray, we will expose either PK or Will Butcher on our Blue line most likely.

Not sure who they expose because it doesn't seem like Butcher is in the long term plans right now.

We also might expose someone like Pavel Zacha who has been a disappointment in NJ but maybe a change of scenery gets him going. It depends as we don't really have a ton of eligible forwards we are desperate to protect.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Thanks!

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Depending on whether we resign Murray, we will expose either PK or Will Butcher on our Blue line most likely.

Not sure who they expose because it doesn't seem like Butcher is in the long term plans right now.

We also might expose someone like Pavel Zacha who has been a disappointment in NJ but maybe a change of scenery gets him going. It depends as we don't really have a ton of eligible forwards we are desperate to protect.
Thanks!

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Right. But based on that list he needs to play 27 Games in the NHL to qualify. Can't do that while he is still in Sweden .. :)

Dahlen does not have the # of NHL games to be "exposed", he's also a QO'd RFA (with expired QO). But there's another category of players -- "available to be picked for expansion", not exempted but don't meet criteria for exposure of games played and contract status, including all pending UFAs and guys that aren't exempt or protected.

Seattle has to pick 24 or so guys that do have contract status going forward (signed players and QO'd RFAs); the other 6 do not require that.

As he has been unwilling/reluctant to come to North America since the Sharks acquired his rights, there's the possibility that he would not report to Seattle even if they picked him.

There are pending UFAs that are not signed until after expansion draft as otherwise they could be exposed or need to be protected.

Vegas did pick one pending UFA from a team (for future considerations, read "draft picks") and did not sign him, essentially taking no players from that organization

Also, this just in:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad