Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
And Tyler johnson cleared waviers Tampa is stuck with him for a year.

Seattle may take him willing or tampa may be forced to pay us to take him in the draft.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
And Tyler johnson cleared waviers Tampa is stuck with him for a year.

Seattle may take him willing or tampa may be forced to pay us to take him in the draft.

Looking at the way teams act with the flat cap and uncertainty when they'll get better financially I think we should be able to get a couple of good deals during the expansion draft.

As for Johnson.
Given that they couldn't find a taker after waiving him they'll certainly have to add something to move him.
Though, that(him being moved) could still happen way before we're picking players during the expansion draft.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Looking at the way teams act with the flat cap and uncertainty when they'll get better financially I think we should be able to get a couple of good deals during the expansion draft.

As for Johnson.
Given that they couldn't find a taker after waiving him they'll certainly have to add something to move him.
Though, that(him being moved) could still happen way before we're picking players during the expansion draft.

TJ is on a full NTC.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
TJ is on a full NTC.

He already gave them a list of teams he'd go to and even extended that list before they put him on waivers.

They just couldn't get a deal done and probably now have to add something on top to get another team to bite.

So yeah, he's got that NTC but he's willing to work with the Bolts to get something done.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
He already gave them a list of teams he'd go to and even extended that list before they put him on waivers.

They just couldn't get a deal done and probably now have to add something on top to get another team to bite.

So yeah, he's got that NTC but he's willing to work with the Bolts to get something done.

And bolts asked for a first overall and no one took a bite. Now that he has cleared waivers he can easilly go back and declare NTC and they are stuck with him. He's not going anywhere not even for free at the moment.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
And bolts asked for a first overall and no one took a bite. Now that he has cleared waivers he can easilly go back and declare NTC and they are stuck with him. He's not going anywhere not even for free at the moment.

Again, he didn't have to do it in the first place(before he got waived) and was still willing to help out the team agreeing to multiple teams he'd be OK with.

I think the Bolts will find a way to trade him but just realised that they're the ones who'll have to add something instead of the other way around.

I mean, they'll have to trade him in order to be able to keep Cirelli and Sergachev.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Vancouver is protecting demko. Holtby signing a contract like that screams Seattle in a year and i'll take him at 1 year 4.3m.
For what it's worth, Holtby is very liberal in his politics. He didn't go to the White House after the Cup win and annually walks in the DC Pride parade. (He's also known for his fashion sense, bringing a guitar in road trips, loving combination bookstores/cafes, and roller blading publicly through the city and parks in the off-season.)

He may welcome the idea of playing in Seattle.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
For what it's worth, Holtby is very liberal in his politics. He didn't go to the White House after the Cup win and annually walks in the DC Pride parade. (He's also known for his fashion sense, bringing a guitar in road trips, loving combination bookstores/cafes, and roller blading publicly through the city and parks in the off-season.)

He may welcome the idea of playing in Seattle.
Holtby was terrible last season, I think there will be better options out there with several teams having 2 good goalies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

The first possibilities of the 21-22 FA window signing. Seattle has to have pretty good odds in landing him given we have basically full 81.5 cap hit.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Holtby was terrible last season, I think there will be better options out there with several teams having 2 good goalies.

Yeah, Holtby needs a bounce back year to really be considered for us.
Though, with Vancouvers goalie coach that might even happen.

The first possibilities of the 21-22 FA window signing. Seattle has to have pretty good odds in landing him given we have basically full 81.5 cap hit.

I doubt Hall really wants to come here unless we're giving him a huge, long term contract.
So that's not really what I'd be looking for.

Though I'm happy for Sabres fans for getting him and the excitement it brings.
I mean, after all the crap they've been through for nearly a decade.

Reactions: Sabresmp

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Well your best choices from Vancouver as of today are Holtby or MacEwen. Was just browsing to see who y'all would prefer your tam to take. As a Canuck fan I'm hoping Holtby shows well and is taken as we really need that 4.3M the following year. Obviously if Demko falters that feeling may change.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well your best choices from Vancouver as of today are Holtby or MacEwen. Was just browsing to see who y'all would prefer your tam to take. As a Canuck fan I'm hoping Holtby shows well and is taken as we really need that 4.3M the following year. Obviously if Demko falters that feeling may change.
Depends on how Holtby plays and also what D-man they decide to make available. Not sure who they expose, but there is a 40/70 rule and only 3 guys are signed for next season.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Depends on how Holtby plays and also what D-man they decide to make available. Not sure who they expose, but there is a 40/70 rule and only 3 guys are signed for next season.
That wouldn’t be an issue. All they would have to do is re-sign benn for the 21-22 and expose him.

so you have your choice of holtby/MacEwen off our roster that has any sort of value. Lind is the only prospect Canucks have eligible worth anything.

we protect boeser/horvat/pettersson/virtanen/gaudette/miller/motte on forward, Myers/joulevi/schmidt on d. Demko in net.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Article by SI.

Expansion Draft Bait

I'm not so sure about it.
We've discussed Holtby and as long as he doesn't have a bounce back season I don't think he should be on the list.

Schultz(Caps) hasn't been great for quite some time and as long as we can't get a couple of nice pieces along with him(like the reporter pointed out, the Caps will need to move some money next season with the extensions they need to hand out) I'm not that interested.
Looking at the Caps, I'd rather see if they're able to protect Siegenthaler and take him if they can't.

But hey, we're still months or maybe a year away from that expansion draft and there's going to be some more moves and changes(because of individual play) before we get there.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
It'd be stupid to go for Boro from Nashville like that article is suggesting when there's a good chance both Ingram and Trenin will be exposed, if not someone better than them.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
It'd be stupid to go for Boro from Nashville like that article is suggesting when there's a good chance both Ingram and Trenin will be exposed, if not someone better than them.

Yeah.
There's also way too much "they need to hit the cap floor and therefore this bigger contract helps" going on IMO.

Of coure we could take on a bigger contract or two(with teams preferably offering something on top of that), but we only need to be at 60% of the cap during the expansion draft.
Given that the league should still be at a $81.5 mil cap next offseason, that would mean we'd need to be at $48.9 mil.

Looking at Nashville, I'd be really interested in Ingram who should be available as long as they protect Saaros.

Also, talking about talented goalies, if the Wild believe that Talbot is their guy and protect him we could get our hands on Kaapo Kähkönen.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
:sens

Ottawa, assuming all RFAs will be qualified/re- signed. I'm not expecting no UFAs to be re-signed, no point listing them

PROTECTED: Brown, Logan (C), White, Colin (RW/C), Batherson, Drake (C/RW), Brown, Connor (LW/RW), Tkachuk, Brady (LW/C), Dadonov, Evgeni (RW/LW), Formenton, Alex (LW), Chabot, Thomas (LD), Brännström, Erik (RD), Wolanin, Christian (LD), Murray, Matt (G)

EXPOSED: Abramov, Vitaly (LW), Carcone, Michael (LW/C), Paul, Nicholas (C/LW), Beaudin, J.C. (C/RW), Chlapik, Filip (C), Tierney, Chris (C), Kelly, Parker (C/LW), Shaw, Logan (C/RW), Watson, Austin (RW/LW), Mirnov, Igor (RW), Balcers, Rūdolfs (RW/LW), Davidsson, Jonathan (RW), Alsing, Olle (LD), Lajoie, Maxime (LD), Zaitsev, Nikita (RD), Brown, Joshua (RD), Zub, Artem (RD), Jaros, Christian (RD), Gustavsson, Filip (G), Högberg, Marcus (G)

EXEMPT: Norris, Joshua (C), Kastelic, Mark (C), Lodin, Viktor (C/LW), Burgess, Todd (C/RW), Pinto, Shane (C), Stützle, Tim (C/LW), Greig, Ridly (LW), Järventie, Roby (LW), Sokolov, Egor (LW), Aspirot, Jonathan (LD), Sanderson, Jake (LD), Tychonick, Jonathan (LD), Wikstrand, Mikael (LD), Kleven, Tyler (LD), Thomson, Lassi (RD), Guénette, Maxence (RD), Bernard-Docker, Jacob (D), Lyamin, Kirill (D), Søgaard, Mads (G), Meriläinen, Leevi (G), Mandolese, Kevin (G), Daccord, Joey (G)

NOTE: I Left Tierney exposed, since I think that he'll be traded before end of season.[/QUOTE]

who do you guys prefer on that list?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
who do you guys prefer on that list?

That's really hard to say.

It will depend on performances this upcoming season(whenever and whoever that happens) and who might take a step forward.

Right now Tierney would probably a really interesting guy, if you don't trade him and leave him exposed.

Other than that maybe Abramov or Chlapik(though, I haven't really watched the Sens for some time) depending on how they improve until next offseason.

Though, it's clear that the Senators, like a couple other teams, won't have to fear losing a lot during the expansion draft.

That's because unlike with Vegas, teams actually had quite some time preparing for it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For real. It worries me a bit that the team won't be able to secure first line/ top pairing talent, at least not initially.
I don't see teams making the same deals that Minn/Ana/NYI/CBS made which gave LV Theodore, Tuch and First rounders to not take someone.

With the flat cap, you are more likely to secure 2nd line talent making close to $5 mill per season which teams would like to offload to spend on their own RFA coming off ELC.

So, Seattle can get 2nd line talent who have 1-2 years left on their contracts, and can press those teams for a draft pick to select that player over a cheaper player to provide that team with cap relief.

I think my Canucks would give up a draft pick to have Seattle take $6 mill Eriksson, $3 mill Beagle & Roussel who all have just 1 year left on the contract.

I would steer away from guys with longer than 2 years left unless they are still somewhat productive.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
For real. It worries me a bit that the team won't be able to secure first line/ top pairing talent, at least not initially.

They may not get as much as Vegas did, but I'm sure they'll get some quality players. The rules have changed a lot since the late 90s early 00s expansion drafts, Seattle is pretty much guaranteed to choose top 4 or top 6 quality players from most teams.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
They may not get as much as Vegas did, but I'm sure they'll get some quality players. The rules have changed a lot since the late 90s early 00s expansion drafts, Seattle is pretty much guaranteed to choose top 4 or top 6 quality players from most teams.

Remember its still going to be a flat cap so teams are going to have issues trying to fit their roster around a flat cap for another year.

Reactions: Soundgarden

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I just took a look at the goalie situation and who might be available for us.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Remember teams need to expose at least one goalie that is either a RFA in 2021 or signed for the 2021-22 season.

red = protected from selection
green = available for selection
black = UFA and neither available or protected
TeamPlayerSalaryContractNMC
AnaheimJohn Gibson$ 6.42027(UFA)
Anthony Stolarz$750K2021(UFA)
ArizonaDarcy Kuemper$4.52022(UFA)
Antii Raanta$4.252021(UFA)
Aden Hill$800 K2021(RFA)
BostonTuukka Rask$7.02021(UFA)
Jaroslav Halak$2.252021(UFA)
Daniel Vladar$790K2023(RFA)
Callum Booth$700K2021(RFA)
BuffaloCarter Hutton$2.752021(UFA)
Lunus Ullmark$1.3252021(UFA)
Jonas Johansson$700K2021(RFA)
CalgaryJakob Markström$6.02026(UFA)NMC
David Rittich$2.752021(UFA)
Tyler Parsons$735K2021(RFA)
Louis Domingue$700K2021(UFA)
CarolinaJames Reimer$3.42021(UFA)
Petr Mrazek$3.12520201(UFA)
Jeremy Helvig$761.666K2021(RFA)
Alex Nedeljkovic$737.500K2021(RFA)
ChicagoCollin Delia$1.02022(UFA)
Malcolm Subban$850K2022(UFA)
Kevin Lankinen$800K2022(UFA)
ColoradoPhilipp Grubauer$3.332021(UFA)
Pavel Francouz$2.02022(UFA)
Hinter Miskau$725K2022(UFA)
ColumbusJoonas Korpisalo$2.82022(UFA)
Matiss Kivlenieks$725K2022(UFA)
DallasBen Bishop$4.916,6662023(UFA)NMC
Anton Khubodin$3.333.3332023(UFA)
Colton Point$925K2021(RFA)
DetroitThomas Greiss$3.62022(UFA)
Kaden Fulcher$733.333K2022(RFA)
EdmontonMikko Koskinen$4.52022(UFA)
Stuart Skinner$784.166K2021(RFA)
Dylan Wells$745K2021(RFA)
FloridaSergei Bobrovsky$102026(UFA)NMC
Chris Driedger$850K2021(UFA)
Philippe Desrosiers$700K2021(RFA)
Los AngelesJonathan Quick$5.82023(UFA)
Cal Pedersen$858K2022(UFA)
Troy Grosenick$700K2021(UFA)
MinnesotaCam Talbot$3.6672023(UFA)
Alex Stalock$785K2022(UFA)
Kaapo Kähkönen$725K2022(RFA)
MontrealCarey Price$10.52026(UFA)NMC
Jake Allen$4.352023(UFA)
Charlie Lindgren$750K2021(UFA)
Michael McNiven$700K2021(RFA)
NashvillePekka Rinne$5.02021(UFA)
Juuse Saros$1.52021(RFA)
Connor Ingram$733K2023(RFA)
Kasimir Kaskisuo$700K2021(UFA)
New JerseyCorey Crawford$3.92022(UFA)
Evan Cormier$718K2021(RFA)
Mackenzie Blackwood697K2020(RFA)
Scott Wedgewood$9700K2021(UFA)
New York IslandersSemyon Varlamov$5.02023(UFA)
New York RangersAlexandar Georgiev$2.4252022(RFA)
Keith Kinkaid$825K2022(UFA)
OttawaMatt Murray$6.252024(UFA)
Anders Nilsson$2.62021(UFA)
Filip Gustavson$761K2021(RFA)
Joey Daccord$750K2023(RFA)
Marcus Högberg$700K2021(RFA)
PhiladelphiaBrian Elliott$1.52021(UFA)
Felix Sandsröm$792K2021(RFA)
Carter Hart$730K2021(RFA)
Alex Lyon$700K2021(UFA)
PittsburghTristan Jarry$3.52023(UFA)
Casey DeSmith$1.252022(UFA)
Maxime Legace$700K2021(UFA)
San JoseMartin Jones$5.752024(UFA)
Devan Dubnyk$4.332021(UFA)
Josef Korenar$723K2021(RFA)
St. LouisJordan Binnington$4.42021(UFA)
Evan Fitzpatrick$770K2021(RFA)
Ville Husso$750K2022(UFA)
Jon Gillies$700K2021(UFA)
Tampa BayAndrei Vasilevsky$9.52028(UFA)
Curtis McElhinney$1.32021(UFA)
Spencer Martin$700K2021(RFA)
Christopher Gibson$700K2021(UFA)
TorontoFrederik Andersen$5.02021(UFA)
Jack Campbell$1.652022(UFA)
Aaron Dell$800K2021(UFA)
Mitchell Hutchinson$725K2022(UFA)
VancouverBraden Holtby$4.32022(UFA)
Thatcher Demko$1.052021(RFA)
WashingtonHenrick Lundqvist$1.52021(UFA)
Pheonix Copley$1.12020(UFA)
Ilya Samsonov$925K2021(RFA)
Vitek Vanecek$716K2022(RFA)
Zachary Fucale$700K2021(RFA)
WinnipegConnor Hellebuyck$6.162024(UFA)
Laurent Brossoit$1.52021(UFA)
Mikhail Berdin$758K2021(RFA)
Eric Comrie$700K2021(RFA)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The Ducks and the Islanders need to sign another goalie to expose for the expansion draft.
I also have Ullmark of the Sabres protected because he should be their #1 goalie and extended for a couple of years.

Veteran options:

Braden Holtby
Martin Jones
Casey DeSmith
Corey Crawford
Jake Allen
Cam Talbot/Alex Stalock
Jonathan Quick
Anton Khubodin

Looking at that list it surely depends on how those goalies are playing next season and of course on what else is available on their respective teams.

To me, Jake Allen(who's extension will pay him $2.85 mil a year) and Casey DeSmtih could be solid 1B options.
Holtby and Talbot would need to show that they can be solid again or for another season, while Crawford would need to show he's healthy enough.
If not, Khubodin would be a solid option as well.

The one to stay away from, unless he has a really good bounce back season, would be Martin Jones of the Sharks.
He hasn't been good for some time and is still under contract until 2024 making $5.75 mil a year.

Younger players:
Aden Hill
Connor Ingram
Matiss Kivlinieks
Daniel Vladar
Marcus Högberg

To me we should take at least one of those.
Aden Hill has already shown some signs and as long as the Coyotes aren't able to trade Kuemper he could be a solid option even as an RFA.
Ingram is intriguing to me, but I've also heard some people being not as convinced on him.

Options in Free Agency:
Frederick Anderson
Philipp Grubauer
James Reimer
Petr Mrazek
David Rittich

If those guys are able in free agency Anderson would be the big name but I think Grubauer would be a really good pickup and shouldn't be that expensive.

Overall I don't see a Fleury situation like Vegas was able to capitalize from but still a couple of solid options or younger guys.

What would be your picks?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad