Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
1) Well that works out even better for us since all of our big contracts (except wennberg) expire in the next 2 years, so its free cap space either way
2) you aren't getting anything to take a big contract off our hands, you'll take it, or we just get the cap space a year later.

3) you have to reach the cap floor some how, you WILL have to take on other teams bad contracts and get nothing in return, its not really an option.

win-win for columbus no matter what happens, they keep all their important top 9 players, top 4 defenders and top 2 goalies no matter what.

Yes, you have to reach the cap floor. No you don't NEED to take bad contracts to get there. You can take bad contracts with a sweetener, but if not, you pass. There are going to be 30 teams in the league that can protect only 8-10 skaters and 1 goalie on their team. We will have good options.

You can use the FA market and trades as means to take on cap space if required. CBJ may not have cap issues that year but there are going to be other teams that will. With a flat cap for the next 2 years, I am pretty sure teams are going to be more than happy for us to take on salary. Do you recall what TML just gave up to unload Marleau. Sure, a 1st may have been an overpayment but with the flat cap, it may become more of the norm in the expansion draft year.

Also, lets not pretend that 48M is going to be hard to get to from a cap perspective.

SO .. yeah ... thanks for letting us know that we will be forced to take bad contracts with nothing in return. But I am pretty sure you are wrong.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Pretty much.

I know we'll take some bigger contracts, to hit the cap floor, but we're no way forced to take on such contracts and certainly won't do so without being at least somewhat compensated by the other teams.
Especially since the cap floor(we'll have to hit) will be at around $48.5 mil and that would mean an average of about $1.7 mil per player we'll have to take on.

I also understand that no one wants to give up something of worth, ideally, for us to take on contracts and if Columbus is good financially they certainly won't go for that.
I mean, no one said they have to, but of course we're looking at those contracts and will try to get the best possible roster which also means adding draft picks and prospects.

BTW: Looking at Columbus roster(as of right now), I could also see a guy like Nutrivara($2.7 mil) being available and useful.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Yes, you have to reach the cap floor. No you don't NEED to take bad contracts to get there. You can take bad contracts with a sweetener, but if not, you pass. There are going to be 30 teams in the league that can protect only 8-10 skaters and 1 goalie on their team. We will have good options.

You can use the FA market and trades as means to take on cap space if required. CBJ may not have cap issues that year but there are going to be other teams that will. With a flat cap for the next 2 years, I am pretty sure teams are going to be more than happy for us to take on salary. Do you recall what TML just gave up to unload Marleau. Sure, a 1st may have been an overpayment but with the flat cap, it may become more of the norm in the expansion draft year.

Also, lets not pretend that 48M is going to be hard to get to from a cap perspective.

SO .. yeah ... thanks for letting us know that we will be forced to take bad contracts with nothing in return. But I am pretty sure you are wrong.

lol I know. Couldn't you just sign some UFAs post-draft if necessary? Trade some futures(and I'm sure you guys will get a bunch if it's anything like the Vegas year) to bring in a stud on an expensive contract?

As an Isles fan I'm guessing - as of now - Bailey and Mayfield will be the best options available. Add Bellows to that list if he has a good year next year, but in that case I'm guessing we'll try to protect him.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Lou tries to dangle some kind of high-end future in front of you guys to take Ladd or, more likely, Boychuk.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
lol I know. Couldn't you just sign some UFAs post-draft if necessary? Trade some futures(and I'm sure you guys will get a bunch if it's anything like the Vegas year) to bring in a stud on an expensive contract?

As an Isles fan I'm guessing - as of now - Bailey and Mayfield will be the best options available. Add Bellows to that list if he has a good year next year, but in that case I'm guessing we'll try to protect him.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Lou tries to dangle some kind of high-end future in front of you guys to take Ladd or, more likely, Boychuk.

Exactly. This should be the plan. As long as Francis is comfortable wheeling and dealing there could be a lot of moves made. I mentioned this in a post a few days back that the idea is to load up on the best players from available teams. Treat this with the mentality of a standard draft where you go for BPA and not for a position of need. The intention should not necessarily to treat them as future Kraken players but as assets that can be moved to get us what we really need. Vegas did a solid job with that.

The irony about telling us that we need to hit the cap floor is that there are going to be more teams struggling to stay under the cap than teams trying to get to the ceiling. We will be fine .. :)

And yeah, players like Boychuk would exactly be what we would be looking to take on. High cap hit but only for 1 season. Even if he rides the bench all year long, our team gets a sweetener to take his contract on. Ladd is trickier to me. I would take him but it would cost better assets to do that. 2 more season and I feel that the dude has fallen off a cliff.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Exactly. This should be the plan. As long as Francis is comfortable wheeling and dealing there could be a lot of moves made. I mentioned this in a post a few days back that the idea is to load up on the best players from available teams. Treat this with the mentality of a standard draft where you go for BPA and not for a position of need. The intention should not necessarily to treat them as future Kraken players but as assets that can be moved to get us what we really need. Vegas did a solid job with that.

The irony about telling us that we need to hit the cap floor is that there are going to be more teams struggling to stay under the cap than teams trying to get to the ceiling. We will be fine .. :)

And yeah, players like Boychuk would exactly be what we would be looking to take on. High cap hit but only for 1 season. Even if he rides the bench all year long, our team gets a sweetener to take his contract on. Ladd is trickier to me. I would take him but it would cost better assets to do that. 2 more season and I feel that the dude has fallen off a cliff.

Yeah Ladd’s deal is so bad I almost didn’t even mention him. He’ll prob just get LTIR treatment. I’m guessing the Isles will try to hang on to their 2021 first in prep of having to spend it during expansion. Based on the rest of the league cap-wise I wouldn’t be surprised if a bunch of them will be in play.

Even if you draft BPA with 25 teams and take on a high contract for futures with the 5 others, that should still result in a good roster and a strong system right off the bat.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah Ladd’s deal is so bad I almost didn’t even mention him. He’ll prob just get LTIR treatment. I’m guessing the Isles will try to hang on to their 2021 first in prep of having to spend it during expansion. Based on the rest of the league cap-wise I wouldn’t be surprised if a bunch of them will be in play.
Right. That and the fact that the 21/22 draft is not considered to be as strong as the 20/21 or even the 22/23 draft I can definitely see that happen. This is compounded even more by the fact that we do not know how many games the prospects for the 21/22 draft even get to play in their draft year because of COVID-19 and how that hurts their development and also impacts scouting. It could end up being a bigger crapshoot than most drafts already are.
Even if you draft BPA with 25 teams and take on a high contract for futures with the 5 others, that should still result in a good roster and a strong system right off the bat.

Exactly. And I think the idea is to pick the right players for the system. A bad contract is a bad contract but if the player fits into your system even on a lesser role or a mentor/leadership role, it is a positive.

ClevelandUke

Aug 4, 2020

No, im right.

Enjoy our table scraps from Columbus, or dont. we are probably the only team in the league going to come out as good or in better shape after the expansion draft.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
No, im right.

Enjoy our table scraps from Columbus, or dont. we are probably the only team in the league going to come out as good or in better shape after the expansion draft.
Congratulations. Got to celebrate whatever you can, right?

This is not the first time we are going to hear fans of other teams tell us that we will get scraps from them. Nor will it be the first time when fans of other teams say that we will have to just take their bad contracts because they say so.

See this kind of stuff plenty on the main trade boards. Even better to see it on our own teams board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowumbus

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
No, im right.

Your team doesn't even have any centers. 2nd lowest scoring team in the Eastern Conference, I'm sure Seattle will be taking a defenseman, not an overpaid forward who can't score. Heck, I'd take the backup goalie before I pick a CBJ forward, the goalie is just as likely to score a goal, lol.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Your team doesn't even have any centers. 2nd lowest scoring team in the Eastern Conference, I'm sure Seattle will be taking a defenseman, not an overpaid forward who can't score. Heck, I'd take the backup goalie before I pick a CBJ forward, the goalie is just as likely to score a goal, lol.

This is a pretty good post outlining how they could protect their players:

Seattle Expansion Draft - Protected Lists For All 31 Teams

But even with that, I would be fine if we land Nuutivara or Stenlund. Another option could be Shore who is an RFA this season and will most likely be re-signed. Plus that list completely changes if any of their pending UFA's sign before the expansion draft and gives us more options:

Nash
Foligno
Murray

We can't expect to land a top-4D man and a top-6F from every team. I'd be thrilled getting a tweener or a #5D or so. Those have decent value and can always be flipped for picks/prospects or packaged for an upgrade.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Seems like we're getting closer to the expansion draft with other teams fans coming in and telling us how happy we should be to take their scraps and how we'll be forced to take on bad contracts....

Of course without any benefits thrown our way at all...

BTW: I'm pretty sure we'll take a couple of guys no one really talks about right now and I really like that article about analytics and possible guys to be taken because of that.
I mean, we've brought in Mandrycky and she hired more analytics people to help us to hopefully find a gem or two with those metrics.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Bringing it over here, where it belongs.

Uh, I think TyJo stays in Tampa. Look at the CapFriendly here:

Tampa Bay Lightning - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

If you notice, the top 7 names (we have to protect 7) are all signed through the expansion draft. I think Cirelli is exposed as is Verhaeghe and Stephens.

The 3 D, would be Heddy, McD, and Cernak ... not Serge. I think he is given up.

I would take Cirelli in a heartbeat but I doubt the Bolts are dumb enough to leave him unprotected.
I also thought there's talk about extending Cirelli, or isn't there?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Bringing it over here, where it belongs.

I would take Cirelli in a heartbeat but I doubt the Bolts are dumb enough to leave him unprotected.

My guess is Johnson will be asked to waive. Cirelli is 7 years younger and outscored him this year. TJ was signed before Kucherov and Point exploded and they will need to find more money for Point and Sergachev soon. Seattle might be one of the few places he would agree to go. Maybe not if he doesn't have a Cup yet. He could produce pretty well with the kind of minutes a young club can offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexislafreniere

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
My guess is Johnson will be asked to waive. Cirelli is 7 years younger and outscored him this year. TJ was signed before Kucherov and Point exploded and they will need to find more money for Point and Sergachev soon. Seattle might be one of the few places he would agree to go. Maybe not if he doesn't have a Cup yet. He could produce pretty well with the kind of minutes a young club can offer.

And only having to travel 4 hours to visit his folks back in spokane.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
And only having to travel 4 hours to visit his folks back in spokane.

He is probably overpaid for middle 6 on a contending team but a pretty good salary for top 3 on an expansion club. He would be a really good fit I think, maybe the Kraken's Marchessault. I hope he gets his Cup this year and is ready to consider this new opportunity.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Did you look at Capfriendly before asking? Also, I was responding to another post in the other thread - on who scores the 1st goal... anyone thinking that's TyJo given his contract on the perpetually, playoff bound Bolts ... is misguided.

Top 7 of the Bolts are under contract to/thru expansion draft... the ONLY 2 NOT under a NMC or NTC are: Kuch and Point ... Killer, Stammer, Pally, TyJo, Gourde all under NTC/NMC and must be protected. So, you know, I'm kind of doubting that either Kuch or Point get exposed. Unless we get McD from EDM and a pick for Kuch ... and even then, unlikely.

Therefore, none of the top 7 on the Bolts will leave unless THEY ask for it and I don't know that TyJo will ask to leave the Bolts.

Also, I suspect - have no proof - that possibly Stammer is done. There are blogs about how difficult it is for him to get out of bed on some days due to pain... suspect that LBI is actually, the same knee injury that was repaired with cadaver parts (normal process).

That said, IF any of that is true - Joe Smith and the blog - $8M in LTIR goes a long way to resigning one Cirelli...

My first thought is Kraken take Sergachev for D ... and get some picks in return for him. Pre-arranged deal much like what was done with VGK when the pre-arrangement was done giving VGK Garrison + a pick which then swung back to the Bolts ...

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Did you look at Capfriendly before asking? Also, I was responding to another post in the other thread - on who scores the 1st goal... anyone thinking that's TyJo given his contract on the perpetually, playoff bound Bolts ... is misguided.

Top 7 of the Bolts are under contract to/thru expansion draft... the ONLY 2 NOT under a NMC or NTC are: Kuch and Point ... Killer, Stammer, Pally, TyJo, Gourde all under NTC/NMC and must be protected. So, you know, I'm kind of doubting that either Kuch or Point get exposed. Unless we get McD from EDM and a pick for Kuch ... and even then, unlikely.

Therefore, none of the top 7 on the Bolts will leave unless THEY ask for it and I don't know that TyJo will ask to leave the Bolts.

Also, I suspect - have no proof - that possibly Stammer is done. There are blogs about how difficult it is for him to get out of bed on some days due to pain... suspect that LBI is actually, the same knee injury that was repaired with cadaver parts (normal process).

That said, IF any of that is true - Joe Smith and the blog - $8M in LTIR goes a long way to resigning one Cirelli...

My first thought is Kraken take Sergachev for D ... and get some picks in return for him. Pre-arranged deal much like what was done with VGK when the pre-arrangement was done giving VGK Garrison + a pick which then swung back to the Bolts ...
Just a FYI. NTC's do NOT need to be protected for the expansion draft. Only NMC's. All players on NTC's can be exposed if the team chooses to.

There is little to no chance that Sergachev gets exposed. If he makes a fuss about his deal he gets signed and traded soon like Drouin did. He is a RFA so TBL hold all the cards. The smart thing for the Bolts would be to move some players this off-season and next so that it gives them a return on them rather than just exposed them in the draft.

Their main issue is going to cap space really. With Sergachev up due for a contract this year and them having only 10F and 3D signed with under 5.5M in cap available. They could have problems at the expansion draft for sure but at lot of it can be alleviated based on how they deal with things this coming off-season.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

All good points, but I'd still take Cirelli in a heartbeat, as long as that extension isn't that huge.

BTW: Yeah, I could see a deal being struck between the Kracken and Bolts(I actually want us pursuing a few of these during the expansion draft) where we take a guy off your books and add some picks/prospects on thop of that.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
All good points, but I'd still take Cirelli in a heartbeat, as long as that extension isn't that huge.

BTW: Yeah, I could see a deal being struck between the Kracken and Bolts(I actually want us pursuing a few of these during the expansion draft) where we take a guy off your books and add some picks/prospects on thop of that.
Cirelli will be protected unless he bombs the 2020-21 season,but I doubt it! TB will offer something for Seattle to take(T Johnson and get a draft choice or two and a prospect down on the "farm"! Or perhaps Palat will be made available...no way the Lightning let one of their young D-men go...Hedman,Sergachev,Cernak,Foote are a must...so TB goes 4-4-1 with a side deal with Seattle

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Cirelli will be protected unless he bombs the 2020-21 season,but I doubt it! TB will offer something for Seattle to take(T Johnson and get a draft choice or two and a prospect down on the "farm"! Or perhaps Palat will be made available...no way the Lightning let one of their young D-men go...Hedman,Sergachev,Cernak,Foote are a must...so TB goes 4-4-1 with a side deal with Seattle

That would be exactly what I'd want during the expansion draft from a team like Tampa Bay.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The only question I could as of today would be Foote or Ryan Mc as 4th defenseman.

But say above 4-4-1 is correct (where I lean) then either Palat or Ryan Mc is the choice.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
The only question I could as of today would be Foote or Ryan Mc as 4th defenseman.

But say above 4-4-1 is correct (where I lean) then either Palat or Ryan Mc is the choice.
Not McDonagh at 6.7 Million and 6 more years to run...I'd steer worlds away from that deal especially since he'll be 32 when Expansion Seattle starts rattling off names

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

I use to think Palat...but he's 30 next year...would rather go with a youngster since Palat doesn't have too many seasons left...rather take Washingtonian Johnson a draft choice and a "farm-hand"...Johnson, a 2nd rounder and say Mathieu Joseph

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I use to think Palat...but he's 30 next year...would rather go with a youngster since Palat doesn't have too many seasons left...rather take Washingtonian Johnson a draft choice and a "farm-hand"...Johnson, a 2nd rounder and say Mathieu Joseph

Could you see a chance a guy like Alnefelt being available in such a scenario?
I mean, Vasylevski's just 26 years old and should be in net for a long time in Tampa Bay.

I've looked at some prospect lists and also found one about top goaile prospects.

Also, looking at capfriendly a guy like Connor Ingram most likely has to be protected by Nashville and with Rinne and Saros(unless there's a trade) also under contract until next summer, he might be an interesting option for us.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Could you see a chance a guy like Alnefelt being available in such a scenario?
I mean, Vasylevski's just 26 years old and should be in net for a long time in Tampa Bay.

I've looked at some prospect lists and also found one about top goaile prospects.

Also, looking at capfriendly a guy like Connor Ingram most likely has to be protected by Nashville and with Rinne and Saros(unless there's a trade) also under contract until next summer, he might be an interesting option for us.
I've seen C Ingram play and I'm one who is not really enamored with him.Not sure what the goalie situation is prospects wise but since you bring it up I will do some research

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->