Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Not McDonagh at 6.7 Million and 6 more years to run...I'd steer worlds away from that deal especially since he'll be 32 when Expansion Seattle starts rattling off names

6.7 M is really not all that bad if he is still performing at a top-4 D level. He will have 5 more years left on the contract and while he may not be my top choice as a top-4 D, I would consider him IF TBL adds some kind of sweetener. But I think we are better served getting a forward from TBL anyway.
I use to think Palat...but he's 30 next year...would rather go with a youngster since Palat doesn't have too many seasons left...rather take Washingtonian Johnson a draft choice and a "farm-hand"...Johnson, a 2nd rounder and say Mathieu Joseph

I don't know why you feel Palat does not have that many seasons left. Hey is only 29. I would be fine taking him but I would prefer Johnson because of the factors below:

- Local boy
- Signed for another 3 years (from when we draft him)
- Lower cap hit than Palat (He is 1 year older though)

Also, I am not sure where you are getting the bolded from? You think that TBL will give us draft picks and prospects for taking on Johnson? If yes, I think you are wrong. Johnson has positive value in the league. He is not a cap dump.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I wouldn't mind Vancouver re-signing Markström, while also keeping Demko, and most likely exposing Demko...
I think Vancouver will offer Seattle a tonne to stay away from their 2 established 'tenders Markstrom and Demko...Juolevi,M DiPietro,Ferland(Van eating half his 3.5 contract)T Utunen and a 2nd rounder in 2021 and 3rd rounder in 2022!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
6.7 M is really not all that bad if he is still performing at a top-4 D level. He will have 5 more years left on the contract and while he may not be my top choice as a top-4 D, I would consider him IF TBL adds some kind of sweetener. But I think we are better served getting a forward from TBL anyway.

I don't know why you feel Palat does not have that many seasons left. Hey is only 29. I would be fine taking him but I would prefer Johnson because of the factors below:

- Local boy

Also, I am not sure where you are getting the bolded from? You think that TBL will give us draft picks and prospects for taking on Johnson? If yes, I think you are wrong. Johnson has positive value in the league. He is not a cap dump.
Very soon Tampa will have to make decisions on players(Sergachev,Cernak,Cirelli...) who need to be signed to ever increasing deals...That's why Johnson's 5.0 M per year until 2023-24 looks to be traded,dumped,offered to Seattle with an added enticement!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Pretty much.

I know we'll take some bigger contracts, to hit the cap floor, but we're no way forced to take on such contracts and certainly won't do so without being at least somewhat compensated by the other teams.
Especially since the cap floor(we'll have to hit) will be at around $48.5 mil and that would mean an average of about $1.7 mil per player we'll have to take on.

I also understand that no one wants to give up something of worth, ideally, for us to take on contracts and if Columbus is good financially they certainly won't go for that.
I mean, no one said they have to, but of course we're looking at those contracts and will try to get the best possible roster which also means adding draft picks and prospects.

BTW: Looking at Columbus roster(as of right now), I could also see a guy like Nutrivara($2.7 mil) being available and useful.
There are lots of D-men available...Wennberg could be Seattle's 1st,2nd line centre...If I was Ronnie Francis I'd draft A Wennberg and hope he turns out to be the next William Karlsson!

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Very soon Tampa will have to make decisions on players(Sergachev,Cernak,Cirelli...) who need to be signed to ever increasing deals...That's why Johnson's 5.0 M per year until 2023-24 looks to be traded,dumped,offered to Seattle with an added enticement!

I think we need to start looking at things with an open mind and not assume that the expansion draft is the only way to get rid of players. For example, a team like the Sharks would be more than happy to take on the likes of Tyler Johnson and give the Lightning a 2nd/3rd round pick. He is a player that produces and is at a decent cap hit. I am fairly certain there are other teams that would do the same. Heck, the Lightning could even retain 1M or so to make the deal even more attractive to other teams. Tampa Bay has been a solid destination for free agents. I can absolutely see them trade the likes of Johnson, etc. at the end of this post-season and then if required, sign some UFA's if they need to meet the numbers (7-3-1 or 4-4-1) for the expansion draft.

Yes, there are going to be certain player who are more cap dumps (or bad contracts) like Lucic, Turris, etc. and the likes which need to get sweeteners for other teams to take on. Johnson is not one of them. If they want to McD on the other hand, we sure would want something added.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Jarnkrok-Johnson 'C'-Connolly 'A'
Foegele-Galchenyuk-Compher
Dickinson-Brooks-Appleton
Hathaway-McCann-Archibald
Frk-Gawdin-Lazar

Chiarot-Myers 'A'
De Haan-Faulk 'A'
Sanheim-Montour
Nutivaara-Bowey
Djoos

Varlamov
Jones

Best I could come up with today but will do again in December, although I am aware salary is a huge issue here but I think there will be trades laced to some of those big contracts, such as first round picks and/or prospects. We'll just say they have the Blues 2021 1st, Lightning 2021 1st and 3rd, Canucks 1st 2021 and 3rd, Montreal 2nd 2022, and San Jose 1st 2021/2022.

I can also see Adam Brooks and Mason Appleton being the William Karlsson and Jonathan Marchessault version for the Kraken as those two were for the Golden Knights. Also, it'll depend on which are the top prospects are in 2021 and who their first pick(s) will be.

I was also questioning Subban, but New Jersey might as well hold onto his brutal contract for one more year.

I think this will be a solid team for what it is.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
This is a pretty good post outlining how they could protect their players:

Seattle Expansion Draft - Protected Lists For All 31 Teams

But even with that, I would be fine if we land Nuutivara or Stenlund. Another option could be Shore who is an RFA this season and will most likely be re-signed. Plus that list completely changes if any of their pending UFA's sign before the expansion draft and gives us more options:

Nash
Foligno
Murray

We can't expect to land a top-4D man and a top-6F from every team. I'd be thrilled getting a tweener or a #5D or so. Those have decent value and can always be flipped for picks/prospects or packaged for an upgrade.
Shore won’t be re-signed. And trust me, you really don’t want Foligno. Murray is injury prone, but when healthy probably our second best Dman. Stenlund might be a good pickup though depending on your center depth, but he has not played C yet in the NHL.

Also Jenner might not be protected when the time comes. Cheers.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Jarnkrok-Johnson 'C'-Connolly 'A'
Foegele-Galchenyuk-Compher
Dickinson-Brooks-Appleton
Hathaway-McCann-Archibald
Frk-Gawdin-Lazar

Chiarot-Myers 'A'
De Haan-Faulk 'A'
Sanheim-Montour
Nutivaara-Bowey
Djoos

Varlamov
Jones

Best I could come up with today but will do again in December, although I am aware salary is a huge issue here but I think there will be trades laced to some of those big contracts, such as first round picks and/or prospects. We'll just say they have the Blues 2021 1st, Lightning 2021 1st and 3rd, Canucks 1st 2021 and 3rd, Montreal 2nd 2022, and San Jose 1st 2021/2022.

I can also see Adam Brooks and Mason Appleton being the William Karlsson and Jonathan Marchessault version for the Kraken as those two were for the Golden Knights. Also, it'll depend on which are the top prospects are in 2021 and who their first pick(s) will be.

I was also questioning Subban, but New Jersey might as well hold onto his brutal contract for one more year.

I think this will be a solid team for what it is.
You do realize Sanheim has no shot to be made available. If you want to say Ghost ok.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Say if Isles is somehow forced to resign RFA Barzal to 9M + per year for 3 to 5 years this fall, will your GM give up multiple 1st round/2nd rounds picks for him in the expansion draft the following year (all 1st rounder picks will not be subjected to lottery protection)? Barzal is from Vancouver and has played his junior years in Seattle and probably already has many local fans and friends. The advantage is that your team will have a real good chance to resign him to the long term when he turns UFA while you can use his RFA years to help your team to be at least somewhat competitive and exciting to watch. He will not resign in Vancouver as UFA because Canucks already have an elite center plus another real good one as their captain and need big money to resign Hughes, a top RHD, and a scoring winger and their future starter.

Isles will only do this if they can't find extra cap space after next season and if Pageau and Nelson keep producing next season.

Isles can also deal with your team after the expansion draft before the entry draft takes place. It make be a big shocking trade, but when a team is facing a serious cap crunch anything is possible.

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Say if Isles is somehow forced to resign RFA Barzal to 9M + per year for 3 to 5 years this fall, will your GM give up multiple 1st round/2nd rounds picks for him in the expansion draft the following year (all 1st rounder picks will not be subjected to lottery protection)? Barzal is from Vancouver and has played his junior years in Seattle and probably already has many local fans and friends. The advantage is that your team will have a real good chance to resign him to the long term when he turns UFA while you can use his RFA years to help your team to be at least somewhat competitive and exciting to watch. He will not resign in Vancouver as UFA because Canucks already have an elite center plus another real good one as their captain and need big money to resign Hughes, a top RHD, and a scoring winger and their future starter.

Isles will only do this if they can't find extra cap space after next season and if Pageau and Nelson keep producing next season.

Isles can also deal with your team after the expansion draft before the entry draft takes place. It make be a big shocking trade, but when a team is facing a serious cap crunch anything is possible.

Nope.
At least I wouldn't.

I really like Barzal but we're trying to built a team here and will need those picks to bring in young talent that either helps right away or can be groomed in our minor league setup.

We also won't know how the team looks like and what is somewhat realistic(I doubt it will start out as well as Vegas given that teams have gone through the process four years ago while also having 2 1/2 years of time to prepare instead of just one year) with the squad we'll be able to put together.

So I don't see it happen and actually think we should go the other way in trying to find a way to add more picks/talents even if it means taking on lesser players or bigger contracts.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

If we were an established franchise which was already a playoff team and trying to take the next step, then sure. But being an expansion team that would make little sense for us. The value is probably there but we are not going to be 1 Center/Player away from making an SC run. The idea should be get cost controlled players in your first 2-3 drafts and then make additions via trade and FA.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
mock Expansion draft list are pointless until after the Ufas of this summer are signed.I predict there will be a lot of player movement in the next 2-3 weeks. Once that dust settles it will some teams lists clearer.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
I think Ghostisbehere will be a Seattle Kraken

Unfortunately, it looks like he will be moved this offseason. I wouldn't count on him being available if he's shipped somewhere else, he's been horribly handled in Philly and I believe he will prove it if given a fair shake elsewhere. Selfishly, I hope I'm wrong, as I would love to have him here.

Reactions: sigma six

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
I think Seattle is going to have a fantastic roster. With a flat cap, not only should there be a number of high end players available for no other reason than teams need to shed salary...but teams will probably be willing to throw draft picks on top just to get rid of them. They should hit the ground running with one helluva roster in addition to a pretty decent farm system and picks for days.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

- Local boy

Tampa has so much talent, they can't protect everyone. Which means they will likely make a deal so they can keep the players they want. The player selected might not be TJ, but Tampa will definitely wind up paying.

It's an expansion draft, it's not only about the value of the player selected, but also what other players the team has to leave unprotected.

Edit: They're also trying to shed salary, and this is their only chance to get rid of players with NTC contracts.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The Canucks just signed Holtby to a two year contract which doesn't include a NMC.

So him or Demko could be in play for us.

Vancouver is protecting demko. Holtby signing a contract like that screams Seattle in a year and i'll take him at 1 year 4.3m.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Vancouver is protecting demko. Holtby signing a contract like that screams Seattle in a year and i'll take him at 1 year 4.3m.
Yep, no way we have a shot at Demko now. Holtby’s interesting, and if he performs well in his first year under Ian Clarke then I imagine he’s both one of the better goalies who will be exposed and probably the best option Vancouver leaves unprotected.

I know Covid was supposed to jam a lot of teams’ finances and cause disruptions that would work in Seattle’s favor, but I feel like a consequence of this may be Vancouver being unable to resign Markstrom. I was very much looking forward to either him or Demko coming to Seattle.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yep, no way we have a shot at Demko now. Holtby’s interesting, and if he performs well in his first year under Ian Clarke then I imagine he’s both one of the better goalies who will be exposed and probably the best option Vancouver leaves unprotected.

I know Covid was supposed to jam a lot of teams’ finances and cause disruptions that would work in Seattle’s favor, but I feel like a consequence of this may be Vancouver being unable to resign Markstrom. I was very much looking forward to either him or Demko coming to Seattle.

Its already came out saying Holtby will be exposed to seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->