HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Doubtful, I could see a 2nd and maybe a B-prospect but not much more then that. How many people here would be happy if we gave a 1st+ to Seattle for them to not take Chiarot? I know I wouldn't.
David Savard is literally that situation though

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Evans is a 4th liner. He will not be missed.
He did well on the wing with Danault & Gallagher - - that's not the 4th line. And if Danault leaves in free agency, he will be the replacement. Again, not the 4th line.

The Habs need to make their protection list with a long term view. Chiarot, with one year left on his contract and 30 years old, should not be part of a long term view.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Habs are in a tough situation. If they protect 4 D they can lose Evans, if they protect Evans they can lose one of the 4D, and no matter what they can lose Allen.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
...Chiarot is redundant with Mr. Ed here and that's the issue...as Romanov's partner, who's gonna play the right side, cuz neither is as comfortable on the right side as they are on their natural left side...and we need him to NOT be used near as much as he has been; do you honestly think that happen if he stays here??...I don't; the coaching staff will fall back on the Chiarot - Weber pairing at the first sign of any adversity, even if Bargain Bin does go out and get a PMD to play on the Top Pairing to start the season next year...

Honestly, I think DD is better at changing things up that don't work than Julien. If Julien were still here, Tatar-Danault-Gallagher would never have been broken up.

We just got to the SCF. Yes we need more to win the cup. But we don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water. Chiarot would be great on a bottom pair - he'd be fine on the right side. He gets into trouble when he goes up ice and comes back like a chicken with his head cut off. When he plays stay at home D, he's for the most part sound.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Weber isn’t part of this team future, is contract is horrible and should insure that he doesn’t get pick up, be should be left protected. If he get pick up it would open up cap space and new opportunities.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I mean... Poehling has a pretty sick GPG but...

It's a pretty simple projection to have Vejdemo and Poehling getting NHL time next year. Evans couldn't play in the NHL until he did. If we desperately need someone to fill his spot, we give one of those guys a chance (who are ready) or one of the many 4Cs available on the market that can do the exact same thing. Heck, we could even move a 5th and acquire a new one at the trade deadline. He's 25, he's not an emerging prospect. He's a depth player.

You either use Chiarot as a stop-gap for Romanov instead of throwing him in as a top-4, or you trade him for actual value.
I agree with your assessment of Chiarot and Evans. I thought for a while Chiarot should be traded before the expansion draft, in order to recuperate an asset and maneuver Seattle into taking Drouin. I don't think it's realistic anymore and would probably end up in losing both Chiarot and Allen.

I think the move to make is to expose and lose him and use our wealth of picks and prospects on a long term solution on D. If that's not going to be possible, try to sign Martinez.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
There is no way Chiarot is getting that value in a trade.
Late 1st rounder? He just might at the deadline.

He's overused on the Habs, but he's still a #4D, capable of logging significant minutes, solid skater and tough as nails. His play in the playoffs for two consecutive seasons has been noticed as well.

Seattle will surely select him and then trade him for profit.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Weber isn’t part of this team future, is contract is horrible and should insure that he doesn’t get pick up, be should be left protected. If he get pick up it would open up cap space and new opportunities.
There is absolutely nothing horrible about Weber's contract. He earns $6M and $3M the next two years, after which he will most likely retire. He was still the most used defenceman on a SCF team and if anyone continues to question the intangibles he brings, then he obviously hasn't been paying attention this year. The cap hit will probably be too much for what he brings the next two years, but that could be mitigated by providing him with a better partner than Chiarot.

The contract is easily movable to a team like Seattle, but there's no reason to do it, unless we are somehow getting Seth Jones.

He is not a part of the long-term future (unless in an off the ice capacity) for the simple reason of age.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I agree with your assessment of Chiarot and Evans. I thought for a while Chiarot should be traded before the expansion draft, in order to recuperate an asset and maneuver Seattle into taking Drouin. I don't think it's realistic anymore and would probably end up in losing both Chiarot and Allen.

I think the move to make is to expose and lose him and use our wealth of picks and prospects on a long term solution on D. If that's not going to be possible, try to sign Martinez.

I think Martinez would be a good signing, but so do 31 other teams.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
If Savard got a 1st so can Chiarot at the deadline. Nobody is gonna trade before expansion draft as it means they have an extra body to protect. Also Habs don’t wanna trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA