HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
There is absolutely nothing horrible about Weber's contract. He earns $6M and $3M the next two years, after which he will most likely retire. He was still the most used defenceman on a SCF team and if anyone continues to question the intangibles he brings, then he obviously hasn't been paying attention this year. The cap hit will probably be too much for what he brings the next two years, but that could be mitigated by providing him with a better partner than Chiarot.

The contract is easily movable to a team like Seattle, but there's no reason to do it, unless we are somehow getting Seth Jones.

He is not a part of the long-term future (unless in an off the ice capacity) for the simple reason of age.
The habs don't care about how much Weber makes in dollars all that matters is cap hit which is I believe around 7.5m a season. Weber is a great leader but he has been slowing down quite a bit and is way too old. If we are able to get him off the books early it's a good thing for us because I don't see us going to the finals next season let alone make the play offs. We need to start shedding old players contract that have big cap hits.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Probably lose Chiarot to Seattle. I would move Romanov up to play top 4 minutes. Trade or sign a UFA to play bottom pairing minutes. Saves 2 million a year.
Agree - Romanov should get 17-20TOI, need to strengthen 3rd pair to take on 15-17TOI on avg

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Probably lose Chiarot to Seattle. I would move Romanov up to play top 4 minutes. Trade or sign a UFA to play bottom pairing minutes. Saves 2 million a year.

The problem is not Chiarot going forward. If Seattle does not pick up Chiarot, his contract is up after next season. Montreal won't have to keep the 3.5M Cap hit just by not re-signing him or by flipping him at next year's trade deadline, depending on their needs for the playoffs.

The real problem is three-fold; The need to re-sign Suzuki and Romanov after next season (as well as Caufield after the following season), Weber's Cap hit at 7.857M and replacent Weber in the lineup.

What Montreal needs to do is replace Weber after next season and use the 7.857M to address the Cap needs with Suzuki and Romanov.

Either they clear Cap and then stack the D this year with Weber still in the lineup for one final season, by adding a more expensive long term Hamilton type D who will replace Weber starting next year, or they add a cheaper, stop gap type like Alec Martinez.

Actual replacements for Weber would then need to be plucked from the larger potential UFA list the following season:

Pulock
Reilly
Schultz
Stralman
Klingberg
Parayko
Manson
Jones
Ristolainen
DeKeyser

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The problem is not Chiarot going forward. If Seattle does not pick up Chiarot, his contract is up after next season. Montreal won't have to keep the 3.5M Cap hit just by not re-signing him or by flipping him at next year's trade deadline, depending on their needs for the playoffs.

The real problem is three-fold; The need to re-sign Suzuki and Romanov after next season (as well as Caufield after the following season), Weber's Cap hit at 7.857M and replacent Weber in the lineup.

What Montreal needs to do is replace Weber after next season and use the 7.857M to address the Cap needs with Suzuki and Romanov.

Either they clear Cap and then stack the D this year with Weber still in the lineup for one final season, by adding a more expensive long term Hamilton type D who will replace Weber starting next year, or they add a cheaper, stop gap type like Alec Martinez.

Actual replacements for Weber would then need to be plucked from the larger potential UFA list the following season:

Pulock
Reilly
Schultz
Stralman
Klingberg
Parayko
Manson
Jones
Ristolainen
DeKeyser
Can't move Weber. He is leader and heart and soul of this team. This team is built on hard work and character. Everybody has to buy into a system. What kind of message are you sending to rest of team if you cut off its head for $$$$ reasons? Its going to blow up on you.

Reactions: salbutera

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
Can't move Weber. He is leader and heart and soul of this team. This team is built on hard work and character. Everybody has to buy into a system. What kind of message are you sending to rest of team if you cut off its head for $$$$ reasons? Its going to blow up on you.
The team finished 18th they went on a run as many mediocre teams before them have done.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Its called a business and all NHL players know this. Weber is old and needs to be replaced likely very soon. We cannot keep the same team that lucked into the finals. Weber/Petry/Price all need to be replaced in a very few short years whether you like it or not it NEEDS to happen. We need to be finding there replacements now not after they are gone because then asking prices go up because other teams know its a need.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
It's time to give more responsibility to Romanov. You exposed Chiarot and you play Ed, Romy and Kulak on the left side to start the season. Go find a righty to complete the D. David Savard would make sense.

Romanov-Weber
Edmunston-Petry
Kulak-Savard

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Its called a business and all NHL players know this. Weber is old and needs to be replaced likely very soon. We cannot keep the same team that lucked into the finals. Weber/Petry/Price all need to be replaced in a very few short years whether you like it or not it NEEDS to happen. We need to be finding there replacements now not after they are gone because then asking prices go up because other teams know its a need.

And inside this business a game is played. The game has a human side that involves leadership, morale, team chemistry, attention to detail etc. The Habs excelled at these in the playoffs. Even 17 year veterans like Corey Perry commented on the unmatched camaraderie. There would be an internal mutiny if the Habs don't protect their captain (who was a stud warrior in these playoffs) in next week's expansion draft.

Reactions: Archijerej

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
It's time to give more responsibility to Romanov. You exposed Chiarot and you play Ed, Romy and Kulak on the left side to start the season. Go find a righty to complete the D. David Savard would make sense.

Romanov-Weber
Edmunston-Petry
Kulak-Savard

I also like the idea of pushing Romanov up the depth chart now. I think Weber would be a great mentor for him and help him grow his game. If we lose Chiarot, I would be happy with that scenario unfolding.

Not sure about Savard though. I think he will be too expensive. I trust MB to find another underrated defenseman who will fit alright and fill that 3rd pair position. Even Merrill could be alright (even though he is a terrible passer).

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Habs will use 4-4-1 unless Danault is signed before the expansion draft

There's absolutely no reason to do that though, right? Regardless of 4-4-1 or not - even if Danault and Habs agree to a deal, it's better for both Habs and Danault to wait till after the draft to announce, so they can keep him without having to protect.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Players I want to keep that I could see Seattle considering:

Allen, Drouin, Edmunston

I kind of want to keep Chiarot too as he was very good for us in playoffs, but less so than Edmuntson and also think Romanov can maybe replace him.

Allen - I'd pay to keep him. I think he's more valuable to us than he is in general, just by virtue of being a great backup who can shoulder Price and allow Price to be rested going into the playoffs (see results past 2 years)

Drouin - I'll get crucified for this, but still haven't given up on him. i'd love to see him on a line with Suzuki + Caufield. Of course, if Drouin wants or needs out of Montreal, that's fine. This is more me being optimistic he can come back at 100% for next season.

Edmuntson - Was super solid, led whole NHL in +/- most season long, very solid in playoffs.

Also - to anyone saying we should expose Weber and/or Price and/or Gallagher - never gonna happen, nor should it.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
And inside this business a game is played. The game has a human side that involves leadership, morale, team chemistry, attention to detail etc. The Habs excelled at these in the playoffs. Even 17 year veterans like Corey Perry commented on the unmatched camaraderie. There would be an internal mutiny if the Habs don't protect their captain (who was a stud warrior in these playoffs) in next week's expansion draft.
Really you think there would be "mutiny" because Weber wasn't protected? Just because a player wears the C doesn't magically give them the right to not be traded/protected captains are traded all the time especially in Montreal. Also who cares what Corey Perry says? hes a washed up star player that won the cup over a decade ago and is now a 4th liner that has a bit of leadership thats it. Why would any management stop doing whats best for the team because of some minimum salaried player has to say? Especially one thats at the end of his career and is close to retiring and doesn't have to live with the choices the Habs management team makes? he will f*** off once he retires and whatever the Habs do makes no difference to him.

I keep hearing about how close this group is and all that which is fine it got us to the finals but we also got the shit kicked out of us in the finals and the skill gap was pretty f***ing clear between the two teams. We need to get younger and more skilled on the back end for sure and the only hope is Romanov which was barely used in the playoffs for some dumb reason.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
He did well on the wing with Danault & Gallagher - - that's not the 4th line. And if Danault leaves in free agency, he will be the replacement. Again, not the 4th line.

The Habs need to make their protection list with a long term view. Chiarot, with one year left on his contract and 30 years old, should not be part of a long term view.
Evans is a 25 years old who has yet to demonstrate he can do more than grind in a full NHL season.

You can find an equivalent for league minimum on the UFA market

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Really you think there would be "mutiny" because Weber wasn't protected? Just because a player wears the C doesn't magically give them the right to not be traded/protected captains are traded all the time especially in Montreal. Also who cares what Corey Perry says? hes a washed up star player that won the cup over a decade ago and is now a 4th liner that has a bit of leadership thats it. Why would any management stop doing whats best for the team because of some minimum salaried player has to say? Especially one thats at the end of his career and is close to retiring and doesn't have to live with the choices the Habs management team makes? he will f*** off once he retires and whatever the Habs do makes no difference to him.

I keep hearing about how close this group is and all that which is fine it got us to the finals but we also got the shit kicked out of us in the finals and the skill gap was pretty f***ing clear between the two teams. We need to get younger and more skilled on the back end for sure and the only hope is Romanov which was barely used in the playoffs for some dumb reason.

Of course you need skill and we could use more. You still can't quantify the value that the Webers and Perrys bring to a team. It would cause an uproar to leave Weber unprotected after he showed the last two months how impactful he still is and how much of a warrior he is.

When the Habs were eliminated, they all immediately went to console Weber. Imagine leaving him unprotected. This isn't a fantasy league.

Reactions: Archijerej

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Of course you need skill and we could use more. You still can't quantify the value that the Webers and Perrys bring to a team. It would cause an uproar to leave Weber unprotected after he showed the last two months how impactful he still is and how much of a warrior he is.

When the Habs were eliminated, they all immediately went to console Weber. Imagine leaving him unprotected. This isn't a fantasy league.
So when will this team finally get skill and stop holding down all these players with "character" and "hard working" hard work and character can only get you so far. This team needs top end talent up and down the whole line up. I get it Weber is a warrior so is Price and so is Gallagher but I think its time to change our focus from hard work to actual talent. We had our fun with hard work and character and got to the finals and it took how many years of MB to do it? it was fun for us Habs fans to see us get to the finals but the fantasy is over and its time to get back into reality and see what we really need and it was shown against Tampa which was clearly was a one sided series.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
So when will this team finally get skill and stop holding down all these players with "character" and "hard working" hard work and character can only get you so far. This team needs top end talent up and down the whole line up. I get it Weber is a warrior so is Price and so is Gallagher but I think its time to change our focus from hard work to actual talent. We had our fun with hard work and character and got to the finals and it took how many years of MB to do it? it was fun for us Habs fans to see us get to the finals but the fantasy is over and its time to get back into reality and see what we really need and it was shown against Tampa which was clearly was a one sided series.

Nobody's arguing that we don't need more talent. Of course it showed against Tampa. They won the Cup and showed up everyone else along their way. However they also have a good blend of toughness and leadership. Goodrow, Coleman, Colton, Joseph were the ones scoring their goals in the last few games. When they didn't have these types, they were getting swept 1st round by Columbus.

Anyhow, this is all a moot point because the Habs aren't going to leave Weber exposed in the expansion draft. His value is too important to the team.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Baring a side deal by MB, seattle will take one of the following:
A) Danault (or another UFA like Armia)
B) Chiarot
C) Evan's
D) Allen (unlikely)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Evans is a 25 years old who has yet to demonstrate he can do more than grind in a full NHL season.

You can find an equivalent for league minimum on the UFA market

He's smart positionally, has speed, and may have more offense if he plays a full season with say Danault and a healthy Gallagher. Plus he's a center. Which UFA center can replace him?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There's absolutely no reason to do that though, right? Regardless of 4-4-1 or not - even if Danault and Habs agree to a deal, it's better for both Habs and Danault to wait till after the draft to announce, so they can keep him without having to protect.

Let's say you agree to a deal before - which is illegal.

Then Seattle offers you 48 million dollars on an 8 year deal at 6M AAV. Do you take it, or say, I'll go back to that illegal, unofficial under the table deal?

I think if Danault agrees to a reasonable cap hit deal, we should sign him and then deal with losing Chiarot, Evan's, or Allen.

I still like giving a pick (our picks suck this year in a bad draft) for Seattle to take Drouin's 5.5M cap hit.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

Romanov-Weber
Edmunston-Petry
Kulak-Savard
Romanov on the first pair is the best recipe to mess up with his development. He's nowhere near ready for anything more than sheltered minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese