Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Baring a side deal by MB, seattle will take one of the following:
A) Danault (or another UFA like Armia)
B) Chiarot
C) Evan's
D) Allen (unlikely)

Why is Allen unlikely? He is one of the best/most proven goaltender available to be picked.

Khudobin
Allen
Kahkonen/Talbot
Georgiev
Hotlby
Vanecek
Hill
Quick
Gustavsson/Daccord/Hogberg/Murray/Forsberg

They don't have a Fleury this year.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
You are selling Allen short. He carried us into the playoffs and I’d probably take him over any of the UFAs out there. I won’t be shocked if they pick him.

Wasnt really the point if my post tho, I'm saying OF the two, a team is WAY more likely to choose Chiarot over Allen, specifically after the playoff run we just had, in which all eyes were on us, including seattle eyes, and they alllll saw our top 4 defense

Allen's fine n all, but I really think were making too big a deal on how much seattle is dying to take Allen, I just really dont see it compared to our other players available

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why is Allen unlikely? He is one of the best/most proven goaltender available to be picked.

Khudobin
Allen
Kahkonen/Talbot
Georgiev
Hotlby
Vanecek
Hill
Quick
Gustavsson/Daccord/Hogberg/Murray/Forsberg

They don't have a Fleury this year.

If Chiarot is left unprotected, who would you rather - a top 4 D that did a great job helping an under-talented team to the SCF or a backup goalie that has consistently failed as a starter, i.e. has no realistic chance of becoming a starter?

If Chiarot is protected, then it becomes Evans, Armia, or Danault versus Allen. If you can sign Danault, it's an easy choice. I'd still personally take Evans over Allen. But yes it becomes closer if you can't sign Danault.

With the goalies, I'd take Khudobin. Note that they can probably get Fleury or Lehner from Vegas in a trade for not much if they want one of them also.

But let's see what happens with the Danault contract and if MB makes a deal.

Having said all that, I agree, if we don't protect 4d and if they can't sign Danault - two very distinct possibilities, they could very well take Allen over Evans, Lehkonen, Armia, etc... So yes I would revise my unlikely verbiage.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Couturier, Hertl ? they were playing full seasons and getting 30+ pts in a few of them, not at the same level at all. You're overrating the kid. He'll be a 4th liner and that's just fine, every team needs 4th liners

Sure, if the role of a 3rd line C is to not produce offensively and play a 100% shutdown role MAYBE he can be a 3rd line C.

I didn't say Evans will be at the level of Hertl or Couturier, I said those were players who's numbers changed drastically when they hit 25.

I could see Evans being a 15-20 goal, 40 point guy.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
It’s clearly:
- Evans/Lehky (pending who we hold)
- Allen
- Chiarot/Eddy (pending who we hold)
…That gets selected.
Can make a case for any of them just depends Seattle’s approach if they wanna flip guys etc…
Or Drouin I guess but doubt they would take him.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Some guys will get Seattle more in futures if they flip them to a needy team than the team losing the guy would be willing to part with to keep him.

Since Montreal likely sin't trying to move these players, they don't know what the market might be for them.

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
I didn't say Evans will be at the level of Hertl or Couturier, I said those were players who's numbers changed drastically when they hit 25.

I don't know. I like Evans but he's an offensive black hole. He does many great things on the ice, but you can't rely on him for offense. Poeling is there to make the jump next year too (even though their game is different).

Edit: If Danault walks then obviously Evans' value for the Habs increases.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It’s clearly:
- Evans/Lehky (pending who we hold)
- Allen
- Chiarot/Eddy (pending who we hold)
…That gets selected.
Can make a case for any of them just depends Seattle’s approach if they wanna flip guys etc…
Or Drouin I guess but doubt they would take him.

Seattle has an exclusive negotiation window before the expantion draft with Danault if we don't sign him.

Why exclude the possibility they sign him and then he automatically becomes their selection?

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Seattle has an exclusive negotiation window before the expantion draft with Danault if we don't sign him.

Why exclude the possibility they sign him and then he automatically becomes their selection?
Anything’s possible but unless they are backing up the truck to pay him, he will want to test FA

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Hertl and Couturier started in the NHL at a younger age, they did their developpement in the NHL that's why their NHL numbers jumped when their game was more mature. Evans did his developpement in the AHL wich is what gives him a chance to become a rugler NHLer on a 4th line.

What you seen from Couturier and Hertl you may see again, in a few years, with KK.

Reactions: WinterLion

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I value Chiarot less than most people on this board and I’d go 4/4/1 to protect him. Evans is a great pick but he’s way overrated here. I really don’t want to lose Allen but if the D is acceptable getting a decent backup is relatively easy. If the D sucks the habs tank. It’s an option, but it’s only a good option if the 2022 top 5 are really good.

Reactions: Hins77

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I value Chiarot less than most people on this board and I’d go 4/4/1 to protect him. Evans is a great pick but he’s way overrated here. I really don’t want to lose Allen but if the D is acceptable getting a decent backup is relatively easy. If the D sucks the habs tank. It’s an option, but it’s only a good option if the 2022 top 5 are really good.
Losing Danault and Evans is not a good idea unless there is some UFA lined up already.

Reactions: calder candidate

iamtalbot

Oct 18, 2007
I know we are going to protect weber because "hes our captain" but based on his decline in his play, his cap hit, and his contract years remaining I dont see Seattle wanting their pick on him. You could keep our while top 4 together.... and if Seattle us crazy then they just feed us of a cap problem next year

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Anything’s possible but unless they are backing up the truck to pay him, he will want to test FA

True. But we were able to get Edmundson last year and Philly backed up the truck for Kevin Hayes two years ago - it often works out that when a team gets an exclusive negotiation window with a player, they get a deal done. On the flip side - we acquired Mats Sundin's negotiation rights before he hit the open market, but couldn't get a deal done.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Chiarot is a good player, but losing him might be a good thing in that it will force MB to address the defense, and perhaps it will force the defense to become a bit more balanced in terms of puck moving ability. I think that is needed especially in the regular season.

You cant play that playoff style for 82 games. You need to find ways to get easier goals, and enhanced puck moving will help you get towards getting your playoff ticket punched.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
WE are not ready to lose Allen. Primeau isn't ready. Unless there is another available name out there....you need to keep Jake. But we could do without Evans and Chiarot. Evans because you sign Cizikas and you don't notice Evans is gone. And Chiarot because while he played A LOT, that could give us to go ahead to reshape that D so that we'd bring a more offensive d-man on that top 4. Probably via trade though.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
WE are not ready to lose Allen. Primeau isn't ready. Unless there is another available name out there....you need to keep Jake. But we could do without Evans and Chiarot. Evans because you sign Cizikas and you don't notice Evans is gone. And Chiarot because while he played A LOT, that could give us to go ahead to reshape that D so that we'd bring a more offensive d-man on that top 4. Probably via trade though.

I agree that we are not ready to lose Allen -- he's a necessary safety net to making the playoffs again ana touch division.

However, if we are to tangibly improve the roster this offseason, both up front and on D, both he and Weber will likely need to go after next season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Chiarot is a good player, but losing him might be a good thing in that it will force MB to address the defense, and perhaps it will force the defense to become a bit more balanced in terms of puck moving ability. I think that is needed especially in the regular season.

You cant play that playoff style for 82 games. You need to find ways to get easier goals, and enhanced puck moving will help you get towards getting your playoff ticket punched.

Even if we lose Chiarot, chances are MB will try to bring in another Edmundson/Chiarot type of dman to replace him.

Or worse, an Alzner, Schlemko or Gardiner (the guy he tried to use the Chiarot money to sign before Gardiner chose Carolina and Chiarot was a consolation prize).

Given how long it took MB to construct this pretty good dcore, I'd rather not lose Chiarot and have him try again.

Reactions: calder candidate

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Don’t understand why posters are affraid to lose Jake Allen when there is Rinne, Rask, andersen, dubnyk, raanta, reimer, gubrauer, mrazek, bernier, hutton, rittich, nilsson, halak, ullmark…. On the UFA market this summer. This is the law offer/demand. If we lose Allen, Bergevin will be on the phone quickly. There is plenty of second goaltender. thats why they havent a good market value on trade market. If you look for dman, marc staal, edler, hlajmarsson, goligoski, demers, savard…. Many dman. Overpaid and way too old. Team are keeping their d corp. I would keep Chiarot way before Allen. This is f***all a hard decision

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Addressing weakness isn’t MB strong suit… He had the address the D before it took years…

Reactions: dcyhabs

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Trevor timmons says mtl is very high on primeau. Last summer he said he expects primeau to be nhl ready for the 2022 season. But i agree i think another full season in laval will be best route to go

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Even if we lose Chiarot, chances are MB will try to bring in another Edmundson/Chiarot type of dman to replace him.

Or worse, an Alzner, Schlemko or Gardiner (the guy he tried to use the Chiarot money to sign before Gardiner chose Carolina and Chiarot was a consolation prize).

Given how long it took MB to construct this pretty good dcore, I'd rather not lose Chiarot and have him try again.

They're going to lose somebody valuable either way.

If you keep chiarot, you have very little chance of introducing another puck mover in the top 4.

It's entirely possible that MB would prefer a puck mover if the chance arises, especially after seeing what can happen in the playoffs when the lone puck mover has a freak accident...
plus, Petry himself is not getting any younger so I think there's a better chance this time around that MB prefers a puck mover first and foremost.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They're going to lose somebody valuable either way.

If you keep chiarot, you have very little chance of introducing another puck mover in the top 4.

It's entirely possible that MB would prefer a puck mover if the chance arises, especially after seeing what can happen in the playoffs when the lone puck mover has a freak accident...
plus, Petry himself is not getting any younger so I think there's a better chance this time around that MB prefers a puck mover first and foremost.

Imo, best option is to add a puck mover and keep Chiarot. If MB is too dumb to see this, I don't know what to say. 3.5M for a bottom pair D that can also play in the top 4 is a good cap hit.

The cap hit of players like Drouin and Byron are the problems, imo.

Hopefully MB can entice Seattle to take Drouin at a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->