HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Leave Weber unprotected is contract is protection that he won’t get pick and even if they want to, if Weber doesn’t want to go pretty they would respect is wishes… make a deal to protect him would be cheaper than almost anyone else and worst case we lose one of our oldest and most overpaid player, which would leave us plenty of space to possibly sign someone better like Hamilton…

Reactions: Andrewcoursol

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I'm worried this team will do something silly like protect Drouin.

Evans over Drouin and Edmundson over Chiarot in my opinion.

No way we should give up picks to get Seattle to take Drouin. If he wants to play he'll have value, if he doesn't he's LTIR anyway. Trading a 1st for Seattle to pick Drouin feels too similar to trading Reilly smith for Vegas to take Marchessault.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
After this run, I can't see Bergevin risking losing Chiarot, Edmundson or Allen.

My guess is he swings a side deal and gives them something like Cale Fleury and a 2nd.
Before the playoffs I would have said this + they pick Byron. Now idk can’t lose any D tbh and Allen isn’t getting picked.

maybe convince them to give kulak a bigger role, cheap and a high potential move

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

No way we should give up picks to get Seattle to take Drouin. If he wants to play he'll have value, if he doesn't he's LTIR anyway. Trading a 1st for Seattle to pick Drouin feels too similar to trading Reilly smith for Vegas to take Marchessault.

Except Marchessault >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Drouin
and Reilly Smith is a good player, and we don't know what the 30th pick in this year's draft will be.

What about trading one of our 2nds - we have the last 2 picks in the 2nd round. Our last late 2nd round pick was Olofsson, a c level prospect.

We could do a lot with Drouin's 5.5M in cap space. We can't do anything with it if we don't know if he'll play or not. Plus, I don't think he has any trade value now. Would you take him for free at 5.5M if you were another GM?

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Sorry wasn’t targeted at your question...

To answer your question: I’ll take Edmundson being 3-years younger @ cost certainty vs extending Chiarot at age 31.

Besides every team can only lose 1-player, and Habs at all costs cannot afford to lose Allen. Gimme Chiarot’s $3.5M cap savings to use to address an area of weakness.

For giggles: say Chiarot’s spot is replaced by Dunn for the same cap hit? Are the Habs a better team, I would say yes for regular season
I disagree with this. Allen was good, though perhaps that's through the lens of 8 years of trying to stop gap backup G with cheap guys like Niemi and Kinkaid who were terrible.

I still say Allen being picked is the best possible outcome, there will be a lot of goalies available this summer, and if the Habs are already comfortable with 2 X 2.8M for Allen, you offer that contract around the UFA group and go sign a comparable guy. I think this year's takeaway is that the team can't cheap out on a 1M bottom of the barrel guy.

Matteus

May 11, 2009
I wonder if MB could talk to Weber and if they agree, expose him and he could let Seattle know if they pick him he will retire, like Perry did this year when teams were going to pick him and he said if they did he would retire. It would be a gamble but no way would Seattle risk it if he says to them I would rather retire then play there. Of course the question would be would he agree to do that, but if it's explained to him that we would need to do that in order to keep the other 3 D. Of course they could do the 8 F/D and Price but just thinking outside the box.
I'm with you on that.
But out of respect you have to get Weber to agree to that.
I think he just might.

Reactions: montreal

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
It's a lot easier to replace 4th liners (Evans, Lehk) than 20min/night defenceman. I don't care if you trade Chiarot or Edmundson after the ED, losing them for nothing is just amateur hour.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010

Contrary to what HF believes, if Drouin can play next year he still has value. Losing him for free would be bad.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It's a lot easier to replace 4th liners (Evans, Lehk) than 20min/night defenceman. I don't care if you trade Chiarot or Edmundson after the ED, losing them for nothing is just amateur hour.

Not a bad take, but in the context of a tight salary cap, sometimes losing players for nothing is fine. Bergevin can replace them via trade/free agency.

Lehkonen should be able to be re-signed for around 1.5M, and Evans is also cheap. They are both young and good 3rd/4th liners. No reason to lose them either.

If you lose one of Edmundson or Chiarot you are still fine on D. There is a need for puck-moving dman anyway and Romanov can take on more responsabilities.

By the way the players that should be playing 20 min a night like you said next season are Weber, Petry, Romanov and a new puck-moving dman. In best case scenario Edmundson/Chiarot are 3rd pairing guys.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Not a bad take, but in the context of a tight salary cap, sometimes losing players for nothing is fine. Bergevin can replace them via trade/free agency.

Lehkonen should be able to be re-signed for around 1.5M, and Evans is also cheap. They are both young and good 3rd/4th liners. No reason to lose them either.

If you lose one of Edmundson or Chiarot you are still fine on D. There is a need for puck-moving dman anyway and Romanov can take on more responsabilities.

By the way the players that should be playing 20 min a night like you said next season are Weber, Petry, Romanov and a new puck-moving dman. In best case scenario Edmundson/Chiarot are 3rd pairing guys.

Not sure why Lehkonen would take 1.5M when his qualifying offer is 2.4M? That's a pretty difficult contract negotiation if he has any intention of being more than a 4th line player.

It makes very little sense to lose Chiarot/Edmundson for nothing. Either would bring back assets in a trade, neither are grossly overpaid relative to their contribution, and both would have more than a couple of teams looking to add them. With an aging Weber (and Petry), it's more likely that we have a 3rd pairing playing closer to 18-20mins per night - if they aren't lost to the ED or traded afterwards, both defenceman would be excellent in that role.

You can still add a PMD at any point, maybe just not an 8M one.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta

The worry isn't whether Seattle takes Eddy or Chiarot, it's where they trade him to afterwards. Chiarot on the Leafs or Bruins hurts us more than losing one of our forwards. Also, don't undervalue what those guys brought to the table this year. When you're on the ice over 20 minutes a game, you make mistakes. In no way do we get anywhere without them this year or next.

Reactions: NA Scouting

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Not sure why Lehkonen would take 1.5M when his qualifying offer is 2.4M? That's a pretty difficult contract negotiation if he has any intention of being more than a 4th line player.

It makes very little sense to lose Chiarot/Edmundson for nothing. Either would bring back assets in a trade, neither are grossly overpaid relative to their contribution, and both would have more than a couple of teams looking to add them. With an aging Weber (and Petry), it's more likely that we have a 3rd pairing playing closer to 18-20mins per night - if they aren't lost to the ED or traded afterwards, both defenceman would be excellent in that role.

You can still add a PMD at any point, maybe just not an 8M one.

No one will give Lehkonen his QO. You can let him walk and negotiate with him

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
  • You want to keep the top 4. You go 8 players. Hence it means leaving unprotected: Evans. While you still can sign Danault and Armia later. You replace Evans by signing Cizikas.
  • Or...you decide to sacrifice one between Edmundson Chiarot to keep Evans. And you sign another D UFA. Like Savard.
  • Or...they go with Allen and you need to decide if he's replaceable...or you have to trade to keep him. d
In the end, somehow, the scariest scenario is actually for the Kraken to be interested in......Allen. Allen is actually less replaceable than the D's or Evans....

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Contrary to what HF believes, if Drouin can play next year he still has value. Losing him for free would be bad.

Except Bergevin already had tried trading him and couldn't find a taker before his current issues. Frankly I think there's >50% chance that the contract simply gets terminated this offseason allowing Drouin to be a UFA and move on.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
  • You want to keep the top 4. You go 8 players. Hence it means leaving unprotected: Evans. While you still can sign Danault and Armia later. You replace Evans by signing Cizikas.
  • Or...you decide to sacrifice one between Edmundson Chiarot to keep Evans. And you sign another D UFA. Like Savard.
  • Or...they go with Allen and you need to decide if he's replaceable...or you have to trade to keep him. d
In the end, somehow, the scariest scenario is actually for the Kraken to be interested in......Allen. Allen is actually less replaceable than the D's or Evans....
No, he is not. We had a hard time getting good backups for $1.0M in the past. It is not so hard to get good backups at $2.75M, especially today when that is worth really $3.5M.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No, he is not. We had a hard time getting good backups for $1.0M in the past. It is not so hard to get good backups at $2.75M, especially today when that is worth really $3.5M.

Name them to me. You'll see what it's harder than you think.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
There's no reason to jump through hoops trying to protect 4D since we should be aiming to acquire a PMD to play with Weber anyways. So losing Chiarot shouldn't be a big deal as he's likely already losing his spot, and you don't even really need him as the backup top-4 guy in case of injuries since we have Romanov who can do that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There's no reason to jump through hoops trying to protect 4D since we should be aiming to acquire a PMD to play with Weber anyways. So losing Chiarot shouldn't be a big deal as he's likely already losing his spot, and you don't even really need him as the backup top-4 guy in case of injuries since we have Romanov who can do that.

True we shouldn't jump through hoops.

But keeping Chiarot would be good. So you have to see what the price is to do so. If the price is too high, let him go. If the price is right, keep him. It's all about the price.

I'd also like to unload the Drouin and or Byron contracts. So if that can be done in the process of keeping Chiarot, all the better. I like Byron. But we could use that cap space to imrpove the D and get that one more scoring forward to replace Tatar and Drouin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad