HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Let's say you agree to a deal before - which is illegal.

Then Seattle offers you 48 million dollars on an 8 year deal at 6M AAV. Do you take it, or say, I'll go back to that illegal, unofficial under the table deal?

I think if Danault agrees to a reasonable cap hit deal, we should sign him and then deal with losing Chiarot, Evan's, or Allen.

I still like giving a pick (our picks suck this year in a bad draft) for Seattle to take Drouin's 5.5M cap hit.

Not sure I follow.

1. Don't do anything illegal. Talk, and if you feel you're close, say "ok, let's finalize after expansion draft". There are ways to do it without it being illegal, basically

2. What can Seattle do with a UFA at the expansion draft? My understanding was that they are ineligible. Can they select an unsigned/unprotected Danault from Habs? I thought they couldn't. Or could they select him, only to lose him 7 days later if they don't re-sign him (when he officially goes UFA)?

If they can pick him unsigned/unprotected - that's news to me. They're not allowed to negotiate with him, as he belongs to the Habs. So they'd have to draft him and only after negotiate with him, and hope he signs. That's a hell of a risk they'd take. I just don't see it. But if they did that - and if they did offer him a huge contract - well that's a risk we take. Maybe Danault still waits till UFA date to sign with Seattle, to see if Habs match/surpass (I assume he'd like to return), maybe not.

Whole Danault premise aside - Drouin is a huge question mark based on why he left/how he's doing/if he's even capable of going back to the NHL next year, and to Montreal specifically. If he's ready to return to Habs at 100% next year, I can't imagine Habs paying to get rid of him, he's still valuable. If Seattle can take him for free, they would in a heartbeat (assuming no health concerns).

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If the Kraken don’t take Allen, I’d shocked. It many available quality tenders and he’s be worth more to them than Evans, a bottom 6 role player who are a dime a dozen.

Pittsburgh Steelers, Penguins, Pirates News, Live Coverage | DK Pittsburgh Sports

Allen isn't good enough to be a #1. Maybe a 1A/1B, but not a #1. Seattle may try to go for a true #1. Andersen at least is better from that list. They could also go for one of Fleury/Lehner. Lots of other goalies they can acquire.

I think they might take Allen, I just don't think he's as attractive to Seattle as he is useful to a team like the Habs in a backup role. My guess is Seattle may prefer a non-goalie from us

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Not sure I follow.

1. Don't do anything illegal. Talk, and if you feel you're close, say "ok, let's finalize after expansion draft". There are ways to do it without it being illegal, basically

2. What can Seattle do with a UFA at the expansion draft? My understanding was that they are ineligible. Can they select an unsigned/unprotected Danault from Habs? I thought they couldn't. Or could they select him, only to lose him 7 days later if they don't re-sign him (when he officially goes UFA)?

If they can pick him unsigned/unprotected - that's news to me. They're not allowed to negotiate with him, as he belongs to the Habs. So they'd have to draft him and only after negotiate with him, and hope he signs. That's a hell of a risk they'd take. I just don't see it. But if they did that - and if they did offer him a huge contract - well that's a risk we take. Maybe Danault still waits till UFA date to sign with Seattle, to see if Habs match/surpass (I assume he'd like to return), maybe not.

Whole Danault premise aside - Drouin is a huge question mark based on why he left/how he's doing/if he's even capable of going back to the NHL next year, and to Montreal specifically. If he's ready to return to Habs at 100% next year, I can't imagine Habs paying to get rid of him, he's still valuable. If Seattle can take him for free, they would in a heartbeat (assuming no health concerns).
I think your right but they had the right to negotiate with UFAs early I thought

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Allen isn't good enough to be a #1. Maybe a 1A/1B, but not a #1. Seattle may try to go for a true #1. Andersen at least is better from that list. They could also go for one of Fleury/Lehner. Lots of other goalies they can acquire.

I think they might take Allen, I just don't think he's as attractive to Seattle as he is useful to a team like the Habs in a backup role. My guess is Seattle may prefer a non-goalie from us
Yeah, reality is it’s going to come down to how Seattle is doing team building they may try and select only fwd and D during expansion then sign a goalie as well

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I have the feeling montreal will gonna protect 4 D. Bergevin seems to value a lot our defense with reason.. chiarot remain a real deal (aav) for what he brings. Drouin won’t be protect. At this stage, his market value remain to zero and Seattle won’t guess to get a bad contract/hot potato. They gonna protect KK, gallagher, anderson, tofffoli. We may lose evans of Allen, but 2nd keeper doesn have a big market value, you get one on UfA market, and evans remain a 4th liner imo. Emelin lost in the last expansion draft hurt us more than we expected. There is Oleksiak on UfA market but who knows where he is gonna play? Tough to say. I rather like to keep chiarot.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Not sure I follow.

They are allowed to negotiate with all UFAs before the draft, if they reach a deal then it becomes their pick.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

The list of tenders mean he’s arguably the best one there and at a backup price. Think guys like Andersen at $5M are more attractive to Seattle? I don’t.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure I follow.

Seattle has an exclusive window to negotiate with unprotected UFA's before the expansion draft. If they sign a ufa prior to the expansion draft, that player becomes their selection from the player's former team.

So theyb ould offer Danault big money and steal him from us, just like could happen if we don't sign him before the league wide UFA market opens.

Vegas didn't take advantage of this. But at the time, most people thought going to Vegas would be going to a losing team. Not an attractive option for ufa's. Now I think people see Seattle as a potential Vegas success story.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
He's smart positionally, has speed, and may have more offense if he plays a full season with say Danault and a healthy Gallagher. Plus he's a center. Which UFA center can replace him?
he's 25 years old, not 20 or 21.

well if he's playing with Danault and Gallagher, he's not playing C so...

Pavel_Bure

Oct 6, 2006
My first post in years so go easy on me

Here’s my preference

Drouin- makes a lot of $$$ and it’s just not working here
Byron- Makes a decent amount and plays too low in the lineup to justify it.
Chiarot- older than Eddy plus losing Chiarot will hopefully push them to acquire a top four puck moving LD.

here is who I don’t want to lose

Allen- great contract, embraces his role and Price should be playing 60% of the regular season. This years run doesn’t happen without Jake Allen and was this years unsung hero.
Evans- yeah he’s a 4th liner but the team seems to love him and he could be hard to replace

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I mean.. "we" are valuing Allen MUCH more than Seattle imo, there are definitely some goalie options out there

Who are they more likely to take? the backup we didnt play a single time in the playoffs, who had a mediocre at best regular season? overplayed to boot? OR one of our crucial top 4 D that played a huge role for us on our way to the final whos 6"3 230 and only makes 3.5?

Its a no brainer honestly, im not saying they dont for sure take allen, but if theres an option between chiarot and allen, you have to think they go for Chiarot.

Either way, it still wont be the most devastating thing to happen to us.

I like Evans a lot too but thats not a player that pops the eyes out of GMs imo, not over one of our biggest D's and a goalie. he's also already 25

Reactions: Sorinth

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
he's 25 years old, not 20 or 21.

well if he's playing with Danault and Gallagher, he's not playing C so...

True, but the value if a guy who can play C is still there. Great to have extra centers. There will inevitably be injuries.

He's 25 but a late bloomer just hitting his prime. Check out Hertl and Couturier's stats before 25.

Anyways, who's the ufa center you mentioned that we could sign to replace Evans?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
True, but the value if a guy who can play C is still there. Great to have extra centers. There will inevitably be injuries.

He's 25 but a late bloomer just hitting his prime. Check out Hertl and Couturier's stats before 25.

Anyways, who's the ufa center you mentioned that we could sign to replace Evans?
pick anyone you want, it« would be for the 4th line anyway.

Not going to look at the whole UFA list to name a few who could play 4th line C, if you were talking about a 1st or 2nd liner OK, but come on now... be serious.

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah, reality is it’s going to come down to how Seattle is doing team building they may try and select only fwd and D during expansion then sign a goalie as well

They have to select at least 3 goalies though.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Not sure I follow.

1) any kind of agreement to finalize after the expansion would be the definition of illegal…
2) Expansion team could pick a UFA, but what would be the point they would only own is right until he hit UFA… Which would be like wasting a pick.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
pick anyone you want, it« would be for the 4th line anyway.

Not going to look at the whole UFA list to name a few who could play 4th line C, if you were talking about a 1st or 2nd liner OK, but come on now... be serious.

Ik, we see Evan's differently. I see him potentially as a 3c and even 2nd line winger. He's certainly someone who can play anywhere innthe lineup in all situations, as we saw him play well with Danault and Gallagher in the playoffs.

I don't think he's reached his NHL potential. He's only just completed his 60th regular season NHL game.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I mean.. "we" are valuing Allen MUCH more than Seattle imo, there are definitely some goalie options out there

Who are they more likely to take? the backup we didnt play a single time in the playoffs, who had a mediocre at best regular season? overplayed to boot? OR one of our crucial top 4 D that played a huge role for us on our way to the final whos 6"3 230 and only makes 3.5?

Its a no brainer honestly, im not saying they dont for sure take allen, but if theres an option between chiarot and allen, you have to think they go for Chiarot.

Either way, it still wont be the most devastating thing to happen to us.

I like Evans a lot too but thats not a player that pops the eyes out of GMs imo, not over one of our biggest D's and a goalie. he's also already 25
You are selling Allen short. He carried us into the playoffs and I’d probably take him over any of the UFAs out there. I won’t be shocked if they pick him.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
1) any kind of agreement to finalize after the expansion would be the definition of illegal…
2) Expansion team could pick a UFA, but what would be the point they would only own is right until he hit UFA… Which would be like wasting a pick.

Go back a little and read. They can sign any unprotected UFA before the ex-draft and that player becomes their pick for that UFA's former team.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Jack Eichel is kinda overrated here. Do we really want to buy another 10m to a player that is often injure?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

It's impossible to say exactly what they want to do without getting insight into francis' vision.

He could also pick up two goalies with the intention of having a 1a/1b system himself.

Allen should certainly be on the Seattle radar, whether they ultimately select him or not.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Not sure I follow.

If the Habs do not put Danault on the protected list, then Seattle has an open window to talk with him before free agency opens for the rest of the league. Even of the Habs have a "hand shake" deal with Danault, that goes out the window if the Kraken blow him away with a much better offer. If he signs with the Kraken, that becomes their expansion pick off the Habs roster.

Seattle will have lots of salary cap room and very few centers to choose from. Danault would be a prime target for them, so they may be willing to overpay.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Ik, we see Evan's differently. I see him potentially as a 3c and even 2nd line winger. He's certainly someone who can play anywhere innthe lineup in all situations, as we saw him play well with Danault and Gallagher in the playoffs.

I don't think he's reached his NHL potential. He's only just completed his 60th regular season NHL game.
Couturier, Hertl ? they were playing full seasons and getting 30+ pts in a few of them, not at the same level at all. You're overrating the kid. He'll be a 4th liner and that's just fine, every team needs 4th liners

Sure, if the role of a 3rd line C is to not produce offensively and play a 100% shutdown role MAYBE he can be a 3rd line C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad