HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Don’t understand why posters are affraid to lose Jake Allen when there is Rinne, Rask, andersen, dubnyk, raanta, reimer, gubrauer, mrazek, bernier, hutton, rittich, nilsson, halak, ullmark…. On the UFA market this summer. This is the law offer/demand. If we lose Allen, Bergevin will be on the phone quickly. There is plenty of second goaltender. thats why they havent a good market value on trade market. If you look for dman, marc staal, edler, hlajmarsson, goligoski, demers, savard…. Many dman. Overpaid and way too old. Team are keeping their d corp. I would keep Chiarot way before Allen. This is f***all a hard decision

I think MB will see this and protect 4D, 4F, and Price - unless he can strike a deal with Seattle to give them a draft pick and a player like Drouin.

We'll see by Saturday at 5pm.

Reactions: Hins77

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Imo, best option is to add a puck mover and keep Chiarot. If MB is too dumb to see this, I don't know what to say. 3.5M for a bottom pair D that can also play in the top 4 is a good cap hit.

The cap hit of players like Drouin and Byron are the problems, imo.

Hopefully MB can entice Seattle to take Drouin at a reasonable price.

I'm looking for something bigger rather than a bottom pair puck mover who can happen to play top pair if the need arises.

Reactions: Archijerej

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm looking for something bigger rather than a bottom pair puck mover who can happen to play top pair if the need arises.

Who do you have in mind?

I was saying Chiarot can play bottom pair and jump into the top 4 if the need arises.

Hopefully we can get a legit partner this summer, who moves Chiarot down the depth chart to bottom pair in a healthy lineup.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
WE are not ready to lose Allen. Primeau isn't ready. Unless there is another available name out there....you need to keep Jake. But we could do without Evans and Chiarot. Evans because you sign Cizikas and you don't notice Evans is gone. And Chiarot because while he played A LOT, that could give us to go ahead to reshape that D so that we'd bring a more offensive d-man on that top 4. Probably via trade though.

I agree that we are not ready to lose Allen....but then again, I don't even think Seattle is looking at Allen at all.
I mean, every team has to make one goalie available and not one of them can protect more than one.

A team like NYI are way more in trouble with their duo of Sorokin, Varlamov.
Point is, there will be way better starter than Allen available (UFA market is also filled with goalie right now) and there will be ton of cheaper back-up too.

Reactions: Hins77

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Losing Danault and Evans is not a good idea unless there is some UFA lined up already.

Losing Danault is bad. I like Vejdemo and Poehling but I have no illusions about what would happen if they, or Evans, tried to play his minutes. Losing Evans is losing found money, a 7th round pick who can play bottom 6 minutes and look pretty good without putting up many points.

Danault may not look good or score lots of points but he's playing the minutes where the goal is not to be buried as opposed to the minutes when you expect to outscore the opposition. In the regular season with Tatar he often outscored the opposition, it is beyond unreasonable to expect that against elite lines/teams in the playoffs.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Don’t understand why posters are affraid to lose Jake Allen when there is Rinne, Rask, andersen, dubnyk, raanta, reimer, gubrauer, mrazek, bernier, hutton, rittich, nilsson, halak, ullmark…. On the UFA market this summer. This is the law offer/demand. If we lose Allen, Bergevin will be on the phone quickly. There is plenty of second goaltender. thats why they havent a good market value on trade market. If you look for dman, marc staal, edler, hlajmarsson, goligoski, demers, savard…. Many dman. Overpaid and way too old. Team are keeping their d corp. I would keep Chiarot way before Allen. This is f***all a hard decision
Rinne - washed up
Rask - Boston or retiring
andersen - high priced and wants to start
dubnyk - washed up
raanta - injury prone
reimer - meh
gubrauer - wants to be a starter
mrazek - stays with Canes imo
bernier - trash
hutton - meh
rittich - trash
nilsson - meh
halak - that sure would be interesting
ullmark - perhaps

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Losing Danault is bad. I like Vejdemo and Poehling but I have no illusions about what would happen if they, or Evans, tried to play his minutes. Losing Evans is losing found money, a 7th round pick who can play bottom 6 minutes and look pretty good without putting up many points.

Danault may not look good or score lots of points but he's playing the minutes where the goal is not to be buried as opposed to the minutes when you expect to outscore the opposition. In the regular season with Tatar he often outscored the opposition, it is beyond unreasonable to expect that against elite lines/teams in the playoffs.
I’m fine with Evans taking over for Danault - he is 80% of his D with equal or better offence plus cheaper. But losing both of them would hurt our C depth. Can’t have all 4 under 22.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Rinne - washed up
dubnyk - washed up
raanta - injury prone
reimer - meh
bernier - trash
hutton - meh
rittich - trash
nilsson - meh
ullmark - perhaps
Ok now. Lets find a good dman on UFA mArket able playing top 4 minutes. Btw. Its a second goaltender we need to find. Not a first one.

Reactions: calder candidate

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I’m fine with Evans taking over for Danault - he is 80% of his D with equal or better offence plus cheaper. But losing both of them would hurt our C depth. Can’t have all 4 under 22.

I thought I liked Evans objectively, but I see him as a 4th line/13th forward guy, not someone that you expect to center a line that takes the toughest defensive minutes. I worry about Danault in this offseason, while I don't really consider Evans a long term key player. Best case he's still a hit or two away from a career change with his concussion history. I don't see the offensive upside, and I see the defense but I haven't seen him do it at anywhere near the level Danault does.

Danault failed to score in the playoffs while neutralizing elite players. Evans survived sheltered minutes. I don't see them as comparable players. If Danault leaves Poehling or Vejdemo may need to take on some of those minutes along with Evans and it would be really nice for the habs if any of those three is at all ready for that role but I wouldn't count on Poehling handling it next year or the other two ever doing it.

Danault outscored top lines (weaker lines than the leafs, knights, or lightning had) during the regular season with Tatar and Gallagher. I hope I'm wrong but I really don't see Evans doing that consistently or really at all.

Reactions: Archijerej

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
They're going to lose somebody valuable either way.

If you keep chiarot, you have very little chance of introducing another puck mover in the top 4.

It's entirely possible that MB would prefer a puck mover if the chance arises, especially after seeing what can happen in the playoffs when the lone puck mover has a freak accident...
plus, Petry himself is not getting any younger so I think there's a better chance this time around that MB prefers a puck mover first and foremost.

Agreed, and judging by Vegas best to let the Kraken choose instead of sweetening the deal.

MB has chosen big, slow, punishing D-men over puck movers lately and it worked out way better than I expected it to in the playoffs. I don't think he will change his preference if we lose Chiarot.

He did pick up Gus, but it was pretty clearly to play 8 minutes including power play time. MB believes you need big punishing types in the playoffs and I'm more reluctant to contradict him than I would have been a couple of months ago. Losing Emelin was bad. You may not need all of your D to be big physical guys but when you have few/none you may survive the season, teams don't adjust for one game, but teams will adjust in the playoffs and bury you.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Rinne - washed up
dubnyk - washed up
raanta - injury prone
reimer - meh
bernier - trash
hutton - meh
rittich - trash
nilsson - meh
ullmark - perhaps
Bernier is still pretty good. Kept Detroit in way too many games. Remember when Detroit fans said Merrill was their best defender? That's what he had in front of him and he put up a .915 save percentage

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Rinne - washed up
dubnyk - washed up
raanta - injury prone
reimer - meh
bernier - trash
hutton - meh
rittich - trash
nilsson - meh
ullmark - perhaps
Bernier would do the job for a backup , let's not forget he was playing in a team whos heavily rebuilding with 0 top 4 dman

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Rinne - washed up
dubnyk - washed up
raanta - injury prone
reimer - meh
bernier - trash
hutton - meh