HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
We're better off making a deal with Seattle for Gally (while getting something back, not sure if we can do this tho) if you wanna be $$ efficient. Defensively Byron does more than Gally, have Lehkonen - Danault - Byron play defensive mins. We have too many small players up front anyways.

So we'd end up saving a good roster player, we'd get something back for Gally + lose his cap hit. Play Drouin but move him midd-season after trying to build his value back up. I honestly feel like Gally is on the brink of starting to slow down (he's taken so much damage in his career), you can see signs of it in his play. It's the best time to capitalize on his trade value imo.

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Anderson
Lehkonen - Danault - Byron/Armia
Armia/Byron - Evans - Perry
Gallagher has a NMC, so he has to be protected.

Just go with a 7-3-1 protection, offer a late 2nd round pick for them to take Drouin, and if Seattle doesn't bite, then be resigned to losing either Chiarot or Allen.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
If we sign Danault for about $5M-$5.5M I'm thinking it may come down to either Lehks or Armia. We have lots of spots to fill and not much money.

My reservation about Armia is he tends to be inconsistent in effort and production. This last series is the first time I recall where he was solid for more than a couple games.

Lehkonen is who he is, a solid but unspectacular player. A real workhorse and really elevates in the playoffs. I’ve always liked him, even when he scored like 1 goal in half a season or something, because he does so many other things well.

I would also think Lehkonen would be cheaper than Armia.

ManixLiquid

Jun 3, 2010
Why many have Danault in their protection list? He is a UFA , so it's unlikely Seattle will waste a pick on someone they will lose 10 days later. Unless I'm missing something?

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Gallagher has a NMC, so he has to be protected.

Just go with a 7-3-1 protection, offer a late 2nd round pick for them to take Drouin, and if Seattle doesn't bite, then be resigned to losing either Chiarot or Allen.

That would work for me. I'm not even sure I'd offer the 2nd, but I see the rationale.

Even though we are all disappointed by Drouin, he may still be Seattle's best pick. He is the higher upside guy. Seattle will be building a puzzle. If they feel that there are enough dmen available and not enough scorers, they may gamble on Drouin even with his issues. It may even reward them because a fresh start in an environment with less pressure would do wonders for him.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Would Seattle want to take a risk with Drouin though ? I mean, even if we offer them a pick ? They'd probably want some pretty solid guarantee that he's going there in the right frame of mind and won't ''flake out'' on them too. I don't know if I see the appeal there if I'm Francis, even for our late first ( if we were willing to go to that extreme) .

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I don't see a need to protect Danault, if he comes back it is because he wants to be here, not because it will be the best offer on the table. If that is the case, he can be signed after the ED. With the open spot, Bergevin could try to acquire a forward that some team will be losing for nothing because they are exposed.

The other possibility is to trade Chiarot to a team with a defense spot open, forcing Seattle to take either Allen,Byron or Drouin. Chiarot could be replaced by a more puck moving defense or a PP QB type which is lacking.

I am less worried about losing Allen than most here. He was average down the stretch when the team needed him, and would be worried if he can carry the load if Price is injured again in regular divisions. There will be many goalies available in FA this year as even teams that truly need one will be lacking the cap. I can see a goalie like Freddy Anderson having problems getting a deal for even the salary he is currently getting. Worst case scenario, you sign a Mike Smith for a year till Primeau/Mvniven are ready the following season or look for an alternative then.

Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher,KK, Evans, Lehkonen, player in trade
Petry, Weber, Edmunston
Price

Sign Danault, Armia, etc... after draft if you want them back

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What is it 7 forwards forwards 3 D and 1 goalie?

Protecting Lehkonen has nothing to do with protecting the D.

On D Weber and his 8 mil cap hit at 36 has to be left unprotected

It's 7f, 3d, 1g, or 4d, 4f, 1g. So 8f you protect Chiarot as the 4th d, you can only protect 4f, presumably Gallagher, kk, Toffoli, and Anderson. So in tha sense, if you want to protect Weber or Chiarot as the 4th d it's between them and Lehkonen.

I would also expose Weber, like many on here. But we've speculated MB won't. So, in the scenario where MB protects Weber, it comes down to choosing between protecting Chiarot or protecting Lehkonen, Evans, and a 7th forward, perhaps a re-signed Danault.

My prefered solution to this dilemma is to give Seattle a pick to take Drouin.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Why many have Danault in their protection list? He is a UFA , so it's unlikely Seattle will waste a pick on someone they will lose 10 days later. Unless I'm missing something?
If Danault is left unprotected, Seattle can sign him ahead of time and he becomes their ED selection. Under a 7-3-1 protection format, there is no reason not to protect Danault and allow Seattle a free run at signing him. The Habs do not have seven other forwards worth protecting -- just Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, Toffoli, Anderson, Evans and Lehkonen.

Centers will be in short supply for Seattle in the ED. Leaving either Danault or Evans unprotected would mean losing one of them, IMO.

Reactions: ManixLiquid

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
We may have to see how Poehling,Harvey-Pinard, Primeau, Norlinder, and/or Vejdemo can play next year. Chiarot looked bad most of the season but he is way more effective in the playoffs when he can make hits that would be penalized in the regular season. Danault would be a big loss, I doubt Staal gets re-signed, Evans may not be healthy to start the season, and, if he is, he'd probably get another concussion. Poehling seems to be back on track, hope he has a good dev camp. Would be good to get Perry back unless Drouin is OK, no need to protect him. Lose one of Drouin, Chiarot, or Allen. Giving up picks and/or players went really badly for everyone who tried with Vegas, often lost more, better players than if they had just let Vegas pick one.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Weekly reminder that you just let them select ONE player (one asset) and deal with the fall-out of that.

Chiarot and Allen aren't such critical losses that can't be overcome. There's always goalies available in the musical chairs.

God if they want Allen that would be perfect for me. Chiarot? Not so much. Even if we do get that true top pairing PMD for Weber, when injuries happen Chiarot's ability to slot in next to Weber is invaluable. Well at least playoff Chiarot lol. Still he's been huge these playoffs and was solid for most of last playoffs too. He plays like a winner. He does kind of eat up a spot for Romanov though if we do get that top 4D.

Do we bank on Romanov being that Weber partner though? I don't know. He might still need a couple more years. I'm curious to know how well Romanov played on each side this year. If he can play just as well on his right side than a bottom pairing of Romanov and Chiarot would be rock solid and could take away a LOT of mins from regular season Weber and that would be enormous.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
God if they want Allen that would be perfect for me. Chiarot? Not so much. Even if we do get that true top pairing PMD for Weber, when injuries happen Chiarot's ability to slot in next to Weber is invaluable. Well at least playoff Chiarot lol. Still he's been huge these playoffs and was solid for most of last playoffs too. He plays like a winner. He does kind of eat up a spot for Romanov though if we do get that top 4D.

Do we bank on Romanov being that Weber partner though? I don't know. He might still need a couple more years. I'm curious to know how well Romanov played on each side this year. If he can play just as well on his right side than a bottom pairing of Romanov and Chiarot would be rock solid and could take away a LOT of mins from regular season Weber and that would be enormous.

We've got a lot coming through the pipe-line that a decision will have to be made on Chiarot/Edmundson at some point anyways. Romanov is there. Guhle might surprise in camp but won't take long to get in either. Harris will be signed at the end of his college tenure. Norlinder has an ELC signed and will be here in one season.

If they take Chiarot, we just need to sign a veteran to a 1-2 stop gap deal and work on elevating Romanov's play.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Would Seattle want to take a risk with Drouin though ? I mean, even if we offer them a pick ? They'd probably want some pretty solid guarantee that he's going there in the right frame of mind and won't ''flake out'' on them too. I don't know if I see the appeal there if I'm Francis, even for our late first ( if we were willing to go to that extreme) .
Do you rather have a 55 points winger our Chariot a 4th dman for 1 year in his 30s

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
We've got a lot coming through the pipe-line that a decision will have to be made on Chiarot/Edmundson at some point anyways. Romanov is there. Guhle might surprise in camp but won't take long to get in either. Harris will be signed at the end of his college tenure. Norlinder has an ELC signed and will be here in one season.

If they take Chiarot, we just need to sign a veteran to a 1-2 stop gap deal and work on elevating Romanov's play.

Good point but Chiarot is pretty much that perfect stop gap guy. He gives us so much flexibility and he offers maximum development time for the kids. We could go on a run next year as well as the kids will only be better. Chiarot makes that all the more likely imo

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Good point but Chiarot is pretty much that perfect stop gap guy. He gives us so much flexibility and he offers maximum development time for the kids. We could go on a run next year as well as the kids will only be better. Chiarot makes that all the more likely imo

It's not worth paying assets to keep him. They can find another guy like him and make out fine. Let's not forget that Chiarot was atrocious for the majority of the year.. it's nice he's elevated his play now, but I'm certainly not paying assets to keep him around on a play-off hot streak.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
It's not worth paying assets to keep him. They can find another guy like him and make out fine. Let's not forget that Chiarot was atrocious for the majority of the year.. it's nice he's elevated his play now, but I'm certainly not paying assets to keep him around on a play-off hot streak.

...much rather lose Chairot than Mr. Ed...much rather lose Johnny Floaty above all, but that's probably just a dream...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

he virtually did the same thing last playoffs. Kind of got a bit iffy near the end of the Philly series though. Had some nice production in his first regular season. There's been more positives than bad imo.

I don't know what assets we'd have to pay to keep him. It depends for me. 3rd round pick? I'd be fine with that. That might be the most I'd pay though. Don't know if that's enough as I truly have no idea

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Do you rather have a 55 points winger our Chariot a 4th dman for 1 year in his 30s
Is he coming back at that level though ? There's not a lot of precedent for what has happened with Drouin this season. He may very well be done mentally, who even knows ? It's not quite like a guy going into rehab for drug/alcohol issues, it's another thing entirely.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
he virtually did the same thing last playoffs. Kind of got a bit iffy near the end of the Philly series though. Had some nice production in his first regular season. There's been more positives than bad imo.

I don't know what assets we'd have to pay to keep him. It depends for me. 3rd round pick? I'd be fine with that. That might be the most I'd pay though. Don't know if that's enough as I truly have no idea

Looking back on Vegas.. it took a 1st, or a previous 1st round pick to sway them to take someone else. Lowest cost was a 2nd round pick and they still got to take Marc-Andre Fleury.

Anaheim Ducks: Vegas Golden Knights acquire defenseman Shea Theodore
Selected: Clayton Stoner

Columbus Blue Jackets: Vegas Golden Knights acquire Columbus' 2017 first round draft pick, Columbus' 2019 second round draft pick and forward David Clarkson
Selected: William Karlsson

Florida Panthers: Vegas Golden Knights acquire forward Reilly Smith in exchange for Vegas' 2018 fourth round draft pick
Selected: Jonathan Marchessault

Minnesota Wild: Vegas Golden Knights acquire forward Alex Tuch in exchange for a conditional third round draft pick in either the 2017 or 2018 draft
Selected: Erik Haula

New York Islanders: Vegas Golden Knights acquire Jake Bischoff, Mikhail Grabovski, New York's 2017 first round draft pick and New York's 2019 second round draft pick
Selected: J-F Berube

Pittsburgh Penguins: Vegas Golden Knights acquire Pittsburgh's 2020 second round draft pick
Selected: Marc-Andre Fleury

Tampa Bay Lightning: Vegas Golden Knights acquire Tampa Bay's 2017 second round draft pick, Pittsburgh's 2018 fourth round draft pick (previously acquired by Tampa Bay) and the rights to Nikita Gusev
Selected: Jason Garrison

Winnipeg Jets: Vegas Golden Knights acquire Winnipeg's first round draft pick in 2017 and Winnipeg's third round draft pick in 2019 in exchange for Columbus' 2017 first round draft pick
Selected: Chris Thorburn.

All this to say.. it's not worth minimum a 2nd round pick to protect Chiarot and have them pick someone unprotected as well.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
We should protect who we want to keep and let them chose from the rest. I don't think it is a good idea to give them draft picks to pick someone else unless it is a 3rd rounder or lower. I think that if we don't protect Drouin, they may ask for permission to inquire in to his mental state, and then decide that all that Drouin needs is a change of scene. If not, it is Chiarot of Allen. Either way, we can recover. No big deal.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Looking back on Vegas.. it took a 1st, or a previous 1st round pick to sway them to take someone else. Lowest cost was a 2nd round pick and they still got to take Marc-Andre Fleury.

Anaheim Ducks: Vegas Golden Knights acquire defenseman Shea Theodore
Selected: Clayton Stoner

Columbus Blue Jackets: Vegas Golden Knights acquire Columbus' 2017 first round draft pick, Columbus' 2019 second round draft pick and forward David Clarkson
Selected: William Karlsson

Florida Panthers: Vegas Golden Knights acquire forward Reilly Smith in exchange for Vegas' 2018 fourth round draft pick
Selected: Jonathan Marchessault

Minnesota Wild: Vegas Golden Knights acquire forward Alex Tuch in exchange for a conditional third round draft pick in either the 2017 or 2018 draft
Selected: Erik Haula

New York Islanders: Vegas Golden Knights acquire Jake Bischoff, Mikhail Grabovski, New York's 2017 first round draft pick and New York's 2019 second round draft pick

Pittsburgh Penguins: Vegas Golden Knights acquire Pittsburgh's 2020 second round draft pick
Selected: Marc-Andre Fleury

Tampa Bay Lightning: Vegas Golden Knights acquire Tampa Bay's 2017 second round draft pick, Pittsburgh's 2018 fourth round draft pick (previously acquired by Tampa Bay) and the rights to Nikita Gusev
Selected: Jason Garrison

Winnipeg Jets: Vegas Golden Knights acquire Winnipeg's first round draft pick in 2017 and Winnipeg's third round draft pick in 2019 in exchange for Columbus' 2017 first round draft pick

All this to say.. it's not worth minimum a 2nd round pick to protect Chiarot and have them pick someone unprotected as well.

Gotcha. I came in late on this thread. In a vacuum I want to keep Chiarot for sure. But nope. Not for a 2nd. It would sting losing him though.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Nobody is taking Shea Weber.

We can get a good backup goalie for $2.75M

Let Seattle have Allen. It's probably who they want from us anyway.

WG

Sep 9, 2008

Truth. Let Seattle take the Habs 12th or 13th most useful player and move on. The teams that made out the worst in the Vegas ED were the ones who tried the side deals. If they take Allen, that's great, the team goes out and offers 2 x 3M to the various UFAs and signs somebody comparable. If they take Chiarot, they can find some veteran guy for a 1-2 yr deal and might get it done for less than Chiarot's cap hit.

The first rounders acquired in the above trades were Brannstrom from NYI (used to acquire Mark Stone), and the Winnipeg pick was used to pick Nick Suzuki. I don't even remember who the Jets were trying to protect with that trade but I have to believe whoever it was wasn't worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad