HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Evans, Lehkonen and Chiarot should all be protected. Byron and Weber won't be taken with their contracts.

Agreed but not sure about Weber. Byron doesn't get taken but Weber might. Low probability and I don't think they do it anyways. Easier for us fans to say that but if they do, it has ripple effects on this team

Price
Petry, Weber, One of (Chiarot/Edmundson)
Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, KK, Danault, Evans, Lehkonen

Send them a 2nd to take Drouin. I think they might bite on that. I think Drouin does well in Seattle and a fresh start in a non hockey market. He would help their PP with his skill and they would value that 2nd rounder. Hate to trade the 2nd rounder but if we want the cap space, that's how we do it

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Evans, Lehkonen and Chiarot should all be protected. Byron and Weber won't be taken with their contracts.

I think Weber might be taken. His contract can be traded after next year to a non-cash team. So, given that a contender may be willing to give up good assets for Weber, say at next year's deadline, if not this summer, Seattle may take him. Not sure MB is willing to take the risk and expose hin.

If we don't expose Weber, Chiarot gets exposed. If we protect 4 d, Evan's and Lehkonen get exposed.

But I agree, the expansion problem is solved if we expose Weber, which I would do.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Jul 6, 2016
I think Weber might be taken. His contract can be traded after next year to a non-cash team. So, given that a contender may be willing to give up good assets for Weber, say at next year's deadline, if not this summer, Seattle may take him. Not sure MB is willing to take the risk and expose hin.

If we don't expose Weber, Chiarot gets exposed. If we protect 4 d, Evan's and Lehkonen get exposed.

But I agree, the expansion problem is solved if we expose Weber, which I would do.

But they won't. By respect for him. Habs gonna lose Chiarot OR Evans OR Allen.... OR Drouin if he is actually ready and healthy to play and Habs give some incentive (a pick) to Seattle to take him.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Toffoli
Gallagher
Anderson
Kotkaniemi
Evans
Lehkonen
Danault-Armia-Perry(-Staal) (sign one before the draft, and two or three after)
*Suzuki
*Caufield
*Poehling

Petry
Edmundson
Chiarot
*Romanov
*Leskinen
*Brook

Price
*Primeau

Exposed:
Byron
Drouin
Weber
Kulak
Ouellet
Allen

UFA Walk:
Tatar
(Staal maybe)
Belzile
Merrill
Gustaffson

We also don't have to protect guys whose contracts start next year or later, such as Guhle, Mysak, Fairbrother, Harvey-Pnard, Norlinder an Schueneman - or that were rookie pros this year, such as Teasdale, Ylonen, Hillis

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Our best approach is to give them an incentive to take a player we prefer. Byron, Allen or Drouin. We have a surplus of picks so the possibility is there. I agree with everything you said. We can live without Weber if that happens but management won't do that

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
But they won't. By respect for him. Habs gonna lose Chiarot OR Evans OR Allen.... OR Drouin if he is actually ready and healthy to play and Habs give some incentive (a pick) to Seattle to take him.

This exactly how I see it. My post was in response to someone arguing the contrary.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

If Weber is taken,we keep our good backup goalie, and we get $8M cap room to easily replace Weber's on ice performance going forward, with change to spare.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Our best approach is to give them an incentive to take a player we prefer. Byron, Allen or Drouin. We have a surplus of picks so the possibility is there. I agree with everything you said. We can live without Weber if that happens but management won't do that
Take Allen out of that. We need a backup capable of playing 30 games a year over a full season and not be terrible.

We should be giving them a pick to take Byron or Drouin. We need to keep Chiarot, Edmundson and Evans.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Seattle, like all the other 31 teams, HAVE to reach a cap floor. They need guys like Byron at 3,5M to add up to their salary mass.
Byron, like Weber, can be replaced for the dollars saved, easily.

Allen, it is close.

Chiarot, no, that would be tough.

I suggest giving them Drouin to take Weber. We get $13.4M to play with, and we keep all the skaters, plus Allen, that we want.

Jul 6, 2016
Toffoli
Gallagher
Anderson
Kotkaniemi
Evans
Lehkonen
Danault-Armia-Perry(-Staal) (sign one before the draft, and two or three after)
*Suzuki
*Caufield
*Poehling

Petry
Edmundson
Chiarot
*Romanov
*Leskinen
*Brook

Price
*Primeau

Exposed:
Byron
Drouin
Weber
Kulak
Ouellet
Allen

UFA Walk:
Tatar
(Staal maybe)
Belzile
Merrill
Gustaffson

We also don't have to protect guys whose contracts start next year or later, such as Guhle, Mysak, Fairbrother, Harvey-Pnard, Norlinder an Schueneman - or that were rookie pros this year, such as Teasdale, Ylonen, Hillis

Sorry. They won't expose Weber, unless he is very willing to go.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Yep I agree. I'll even say, I'd be willing to give up a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th for Seattle to take Drouin. (One of the last picks in each round, btw). But I'm not sure Seattle bites.

On paper it looks good for them: they get a potential 50 point player and 3 picks. In reality I think it's really bad. They could use that cap space to get a 1st from a team picking higher. If Carolina got a 1st for the last year or Marleau's deal, Seattle can probably use their massive amount of cap space in this flat cap era to get 1sts from teams with bad contracts in this flat cap era.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Take Allen out of that. We need a backup capable of playing 30 games a year over a full season and not be terrible.

We should be giving them a pick to take Byron or Drouin. We need to keep Chiarot, Edmundson and Evans.

We would have to give more depending who between Allen, Byron, or Drouin. I value Allen as a back-up but not going to cry if he is the one we loose.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yep I agree. I'll even say, I'd be willing to give up a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th for Seattle to take Drouin. (One of the last picks in each round, btw). But I'm not sure Seattle bites.

On paper it looks good for them: they get a potential 50 point player and 3 picks. In reality I think it's really bad. They could use that cap space to get a 1st from a team picking higher. If Carolina got a 1st for the last year or Marleau's deal, Seattle can probably use their massive amount of cap space in this flat cap era to get 1sts from teams with bad contracts in this flat cap era.

Not so sure Seattle gets 1st rounders like Vegas this time around. Hard to predict. After this playoffs, it should be interesting to see how it all unfolds

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not so sure Seattle gets 1st rounders like Vegas this time around. Hard to predict. After this playoffs, it should be interesting to see how it all unfolds

Carolina got a 1st for Marleau's last year.
They also got Terravainen (former 1st rounder, and good prospect at the time) for taking on the last year of Bickell's deal. Man was I ever cursing MB for not making those deals at the time - just as I was cursing him for nor picking up Marchessault when he was available for Florida.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Carolina got a 1st for Marleau's last year.
They also got Terravainen (former 1st rounder, and good prospect at the time) for taking on the last year of Bickell's deal. Man was I ever cursing MB for not making those deals at the time - just as I was cursing him for nor picking up Marchessault when he was available for Florida.

Circumstance has a lot to do with each situation. It may or may not happen again but I would not bank on it. For example, in the Canes situation with Marleau, you needed a team willing to buy him out and had the cap space to do it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Circumstance has a lot to do with each situation. It may or may not happen again but I would not bank on it. For example, in the Canes situation with Marleau, you needed a team willing to buy him out and had the cap space to do it.

If I were Seattle I'd be willing to buyout 1 year of a contract for a 1st - better than having Drouin's 5.5M cap hit for two years for a pick at the end of the 2nd round.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If I were Seattle I'd be willing to buyout 1 year of a contract for a 1st - better than having Drouin's 5.5M cap hit for two years for a pick at the end of the 2nd round.

I'd not trading a 1st to unload Drouin. Forget about that. Even a 2nd makes me ponder.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd not trading a 1st to unload Drouin. Forget about that. Even a 2nd makes me ponder.

I'd consider the 28th, 30th or 31st pick. I'd do the 60th, 62nd, or 63rd in a heart beat. Those picks aren't as valuable as 5.5M in cap space the next two years, plus keeping Evans, Chiarot, or Even Allen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd consider the 28th, 30th or 31st pick. I'd do the 60th, 62nd, or 63rd in a heart beat. Those picks aren't as valuable as 5.5M in cap space the next two years, plus keeping Evans, Chiarot, or Even Allen.

Too much to give up IMO. I don't believe we are that desperate.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Too much to give up IMO. I don't believe we are that desperate.

It depends on how much you value cap space and Chiarot and Evans. There's an expansion draft coming. We're losing one of those 2 unless we do something about it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It depends on how much you value cap space amd Chiarot, Evan's, and Allen. There's an expansion draft coming. We're losing one of those 3 unless we do something about it.

I don't see a problem with protecting Evans. Let Tatar walk and let Armia explore the market where we match his best offer.I value Chiarot yes. Allen is nice to have but we can live without him. I just think you are willing to go to high with the amount of picks for them to take either Byron or Drouin. A 2nd and a 50 pts skilled winger is of value. He's not Alzner

I think Bergevin takes my stance. He offers some form of incentive but nothing desperate. If Seattle feels we are close we engage. If not, let them take one of Chiarot or Allen.

And I just noticed this is the Lehkonen thread. Back to him. He and Evans are getting protected IMO.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't see a problem with protecting Evans. Let Tatar walk and let Armia explore the market where we match his best offer.

I value Chiarot yes. Allen is nice to have but we can live without him.

I just think you are willing to go to high with the amount of picks for them to take either Byron or Drouin. A 2nd and a 50 pts skilled winger is of value. He's not Alzner

If we protect Evan's, we lose Chiarot. If we protectEvan's, we lose Chiarot.

What do you value more: a late 2nd or 5.5M in cap space for two years, plus not losing Evans or Chiarot?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If we protect Evan's, we lose Chiarot. If we protectEvan's, we lose Chiarot.

What do you value more: a late 2nd or 5.5M in cap space for two years, plus not losing Evans or Chiarot?
I'm not trading a 1st to keep Evans, no way even if I like the player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad