HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
There are a lot of "ifs" involved, but if Seattle's interested and Drouin wants to play for them, I could see that being their pick.

The UFA goalie market will be saturated and Allen ended the season shaky, having one year of a guy like Chiarot might not be as appealing as a player like Drouin who they maybe see doing better away from the spotlight. I don't buy that Drouin has no value around the league, on the cheap, he's the kind of player that GMs love to pick up to see if there is anything untapped.

Anyway that's my prediction if he's coming back at all next year. Montreal exposes him and Seattle takes him.

Wouldn't shock me if it turned out well for Seattle either.

Reactions: Gyfu

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Let Seattle have our 1st round pick in 2021 (or a pick + a good prospect) if they agree to grab Drouin.

Then we can sign Hyman (or Schwartz) and move on..

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
Is there anyone from other teams we could get Seattle to take and then flip to us? Cernak, Graves have been mentioned.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
The reason Vegas got so good is teams paying them to pick players. Rather lose Chiarot/Allen than picks. Can always replace them by just trading those picks. Devon Toews costed 2 x 2nds.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
playoff warrior.

love this guy. i hope he stays in mtl for MANY years still.

Every GM in the league wants this guy.
Let us hope that the team’s management shares this view when crafting their protected list for the upcoming expansion draft.

ManixLiquid

Jun 3, 2010
If Danault is left unprotected, Seattle can sign him ahead of time and he becomes their ED selection. Under a 7-3-1 protection format, there is no reason not to protect Danault and allow Seattle a free run at signing him. The Habs do not have seven other forwards worth protecting -- just Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, Toffoli, Anderson, Evans and Lehkonen.

Centers will be in short supply for Seattle in the ED. Leaving either Danault or Evans unprotected would mean losing one of them, IMO.

Thank you for responding

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
For me it's:
Danault
Gallagher
Evans
Toffoli
Anderson
KK
Lehkonen

Petry
Chiarot
Edmundson

Price

I can't envision Seattle taking Weber's contract, so I left him unprotected. Even if they retained salary and traded him, I don't see any team wanting to take him for 5 years.

Seattle's pick will then likely be Armia or Allen. There's a lot of good goalies to choose from so I think they'll take Armia if they can sign him.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
For me it's:
Danault
Gallagher
Evans
Toffoli
Anderson
KK
Lehkonen

Petry
Chiarot
Edmundson

Price

I can't envision Seattle taking Weber's contract, so I left him unprotected. Even if they retained salary and traded him, I don't see any team wanting to take him for 5 years.

Seattle's pick will then likely be Armia or Allen. There's a lot of good goalies to choose from so I think they'll take Armia if they can sign him.

I like Evans, but I would be very surprised if Seattle pick a young unproven kid like him. It's not like the guy has some amazing upsides offensively, and right now to be honest he has quite an history of concussions. So I would protect Armia instead of him.

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
I like Evans, but I would be very surprised if Seattle pick a young unproven kid like him. It's not like the guy has some amazing upsides offensively, and right now to be honest he has quite an history of concussions. So I would protect Armia instead of him.

Evans injury history is a concern but he's a cheap young player with decent upside. Armia will cash in in free agency with the playoffs he's having. I don't see him returning to the Habs.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Evans injury history is a concern but he's a cheap young player with decent upside. Armia will cash in in free agency with the playoffs he's having. I don't see him returning to the Habs.

Maybe, maybe not. Habs have been talking to him already, be sure of that. He may still do a Petry and choose to stay.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
41 days till this is over thankfully, tired of reading about it in so many threads. No way do I want to see the Habs give up a 1st or 2nd to get rid of Drouin, that's insane, I'd rather buy him out then give up a top pick that. Many teams look to be regretting giving up picks to Vegas, I say f*** it and just come out with your list and lose whoever you lose and be done with it.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Protect:
Toffoli
Gallagher
Anderson
Kotkaniemi

Petry
Weber
Eddy
Chiarot

Price

lose one of Byron/Lehkonen/Evans

re-sign
Danault
Armia
Perry

2021 Habs

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield
Drouin-KK-Anderson
Byron-Danault-Gallagher
Armia-Poehling-Perry
(Lehkonen/Evans)

Eddy-Petry
Chariot-Weber
Kulak-Romanov

Price
Allen

Reactions: SpezNc2

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Yeah let's protect a guy that won't be taken...a 36 year old with 5 years at a significant cap hit who is slowing, yeah let's protect him...you make decisions on what is best for the company, not the employee.

You are probably right but it is 100% the wrong decision
I think you might want to check who's our most used defenceman in the playoffs.

The term on Weber's contract is irrelevant. He's earning real money for two more years. If at that point he's no longer able to contribute in a meaningful way, he'll retire. We might even extract an asset for him in a paper transaction with Nashville, as they'll try to avoid a recapture penalty.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think you might want to check who's our most used defenceman in the playoffs.

The term on Weber's contract is irrelevant. He's earning real money for two more years. If at that point he's no longer able to contribute in a meaningful way, he'll retire. We might even extract an asset for him in a paper transaction with Nashville, as they'll try to avoid a recapture penalty.
Chances are Seattle will not take Weber. All GMMB has to do is find out if Seattle plants to take Allen or Chiarot. If it's Chiarot, protect him. If they are taking Allen, it does not matter who we protect.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Bergevin will probably give Seattle something not to pick Chiarot. I could see Byron and/or Drouin as a Kraken next year.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
There's no way I lose Evans.

So it goes like this:
Petry
Chiarot
Edmundson

Anderson
Toffoli
Gallagher
Danault
Armia
Kotkaniemi
Evans.

For the forwards, I don't see any other way. For the D, well if you don't want to piss off Weber and have to protect him well I'd protect Edmundson. 'Cause Chiarot is UFA in 2022 and Kraken might not want to have to deal with that.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
we have to make room for Eichel and Hall.
\
j2XbvEY.gif

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
There's no way I lose Evans.

So it goes like this:
Petry
Chiarot
Edmundson

Anderson
Toffoli
Gallagher
Danault
Armia
Kotkaniemi
Evans.

For the forwards, I don't see any other way. For the D, well if you don't want to piss off Weber and have to protect him well I'd protect Edmundson. 'Cause Chiarot is UFA in 2022 and Kraken might not want to have to deal with that.
Weber will not be pissed off if MB can assure him that he has worked it out with Seattle and they are not taking him.

Also, we can protect Lehkonen if we just sign Armia right after the draft because there is zero chance Seattle selects a non-superstar UFA at the draft.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Bergevin will probably give Seattle something not to pick Chiarot. I could see Byron and/or Drouin as a Kraken next year.
Giving them something to take Byron, and finding a way to cancel the last two years of Drouin's contract will be possibly the ideal scenario for the Habs.

Depending on their cap situation, if Drouin appears ready to play, getting both Byron and Drouin for two years at their current contracts may be worth a chance for Seattle at a long-bomb.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't understand the ''giving them something'' theory. Isn't it how Vegas build their freakin team?

Vegas did it by getting picks and good players.

I'm talking about giving Seattle picks and Drouin. Notice the difference?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Vegas did it by getting picks and good players.

I'm talking about giving Seattle picks and Drouin. Notice the difference?
It does come down to the details. Giving Seattle Romanov (possible future Theodore) in order to take Kulak instead of Allen, for example, would be too much.

"Trading" Byron and Drouin to get back Allen or Chiarot would be fine with me, even if Drouin enjoys a revival and even re-signs with them in 2 years.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It does come down to the details. Giving Seattle Romanov (possible future Theodore) in order to take Kulak instead of Allen, for example, would be too much.

"Trading" Byron and Drouin to get back Allen or Chiarot would be fine with me, even if Drouin enjoys a revival and even re-signs with them in 2 years.
It wouldnt be a net lost in this case, since we're not getting anything out of Drouin now anyway. He's a contract at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->