HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Giving them something to take Byron, and finding a way to cancel the last two years of Drouin's contract will be possibly the ideal scenario for the Habs.

Depending on their cap situation, if Drouin appears ready to play, getting both Byron and Drouin for two years at their current contracts may be worth a chance for Seattle at a long-bomb.
I wouldn't give them much to take those players. They dont have us by the balls or anything like that. We have too many bottom 6 forwards anyways and Poehling will likely get his shot next year.

Reactions: zeeto

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Seattle going to have ton of Cap Space.

Seattle can take the best player without worrying too much about cap space. Obviously they will try to make deals like Vegas. But teams should not budge.

They have cap space to burn.

If I am Seattle I would consider taking Subban, Drouin, Johansen etc. Low risk high reward for them.

I would refrain to take make a trade with them.

We protect the players we value the most and we then let Seattle choose whoever they want.

protecting 4D or 3D / 7F will be heavily debated in my opinion.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don’t see the big deal about possibly losing 1 year of Chiarot.

I like what he brings in the playoffs but I still think we need a top 4 mobile LHD (after the ED).

So just go with 7-3-1, let Chiarot unprotected and don’t waste assets.
No one is taking Weber with 5 years at 7.85M left. Why risk Chiarot?

Reactions: calder candidate

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don’t see the big deal about possibly losing 1 year of Chiarot.

I like what he brings in the playoffs but I still think we need a top 4 mobile LHD (after the ED).

So just go with 7-3-1, let Chiarot unprotected and don’t waste assets.

Chiarot is a top 4 mobile defender.

He may not be a prototypical PMD but he is a good skater.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Seattle going to have ton of Cap Space.

Seattle can take the best player without worrying too much about cap space. Obviously they will try to make deals like Vegas. But teams should not budge.

They have cap space to burn.

If I am Seattle I would consider taking Subban, Drouin, Johansen etc. Low risk high reward for them.

I would refrain to take make a trade with them.

We protect the players we value the most and we then let Seattle choose whoever they want.

protecting 4D or 3D / 7F will be heavily debated in my opinion.

Subban is barely NHL caliber at this point and no way in hell Seattle picks him.

Reactions: tazsub3

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Chiarot is a top 4 mobile defender.

He may not be a prototypical PMD but he is a good skater.

Take a look around at the final 4........I wonder where all of the smaller dmen who skate the puck up the ice all game are. Big, strong and mobile is what wins and both Edmundson and Chiarot are exactly that. The other fancy stuff is on the golf course.

Reactions: aresknights

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Subban is barely NHL caliber at this point and no way in hell Seattle picks him.

I don’t disagree with you but the point is that Seattle not going to have cap issues next season. Unless they are able to attract multiple UFA’s on day 1. Even with that, they have cap hit to burn. If they feel that Subban is not wash up who knows. It’s not like the devils has great players to offers.

my point is seattle should take the best player available regardless of his cap hit.

Reactions: calder candidate

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don’t disagree with you but the point is that Seattle not going to have cap issues next season. Unless they are able to attract multiple UFA’s on day 1. Even with that, they have cap hit to burn. If they feel that Subban is not wash up who knows. It’s not like the devils has great players to offers.

my point is seattle should take the best player available regardless of his cap hit.

Completely disagree, they should take the best assets available and a players contract is a large part of what decides their value as an asset.

Subban is only going to get worse and will have even further negative value.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Take a look around at the final 4........I wonder where all of the smaller dmen who skate the puck up the ice all game are. Big, strong and mobile is what wins and both Edmundson and Chiarot are exactly that. The other fancy stuff is on the golf course.
Personally, I wouldn't be against substituting Chiarot for someone like Alec Martinez. I find our current group imbalanced in terms of puck-moving ability. Weber, Edmundson, Merrill and Romanov should be enough of what you describing. Petry's not exactly small and soft either.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
The problem with leaving Chiarot exposed is that Seattle could take him and flip him to an Eastern team like Boston or Toronto. That would impact us negatively. Be prepared to lose Evans or Lehkonen. Guys that can be kept by Seattle for more than a year.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Completely disagree, they should take the best assets available and a players contract is a large part of what decides their value as an asset.

They will take the most valuable asset but with there cap space and ability to retain the contract might not play has large of a role...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The problem with leaving Chiarot exposed is that Seattle could take him and flip him to an Eastern team like Boston or Toronto. That would impact us negatively. Be prepared to lose Evans or Lehkonen. Guys that can be kept by Seattle for more than a year.
We do not need to lose Evans or Lehkonen, even if we protect one of Danault or Armia.

Protected or *Exempt
Price
*Primeau
*Demchenko (pending UFA)

Petry
Edmundson
Chiarot
*Romanov
*Brook

Toffoli
Anderson
Gallagher
Kotkaniemi
Evans
Lehkonen
Danault (assuming re-signed as UFA before the draft)
*Suzuki
*Caufield
*Poehling
*Belzile (pending UFA)

Expose (with sufficient NHL experience to count):
Allen
McNiven
Weber
Kulak
Drouin
Byron

Also not protected (with some NHL games):
all UFAs not re-signed before the draft, except the two above
Ouellet
Fleury
Blandisi

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Subban is at the end of his deal. He's going to have great value at the deadline.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
He is a bad player....even for free he has very little value.
Not true at all. I honestly think if he were placed in the right position, he could be a great contributor. A 3 year 4M deal where he is part of a strong crew could see him shine. It's why he was good in Nashville.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
We do not need to lose Evans or Lehkonen, even if we protect one of Danault or Armia.

Protected or *Exempt
Price
*Primeau
*Demchenko (pending UFA)

Petry
Edmundson
Chiarot
*Romanov
*Brook

Toffoli
Anderson
Gallagher
Kotkaniemi
Evans
Lehkonen
Danault (assuming re-signed as UFA before the draft)
*Suzuki
*Caufield
*Poehling
*Belzile (pending UFA)

Expose (with sufficient NHL experience to count):
Allen
McNiven
Weber
Kulak
Drouin
Byron

Also not protected (with some NHL games):
all UFAs not re-signed before the draft, except the two above
Ouellet
Fleury
Blandisi

Realistically you don't disrespect Shea Weber by leaving him exposed. Maybe on a hypothetical scenario in a chat board you can, but not in real life. So if we want to protect our 4 D, one of our forwards will be gone. Honestly, it sucks but they're replaceable. I can see Lavalagher being on par with Lehky and Evans soon enough and we have to make room for Poehling and Ylonen soon.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002

Only 1 year left for Subban. And I am not saying that they will take him but if they feel that Subban is not done and can rebuild his career, he could be an interesting reclamation project despite his AAV.

my point is simply that Seattle does not need to overvalue the cap space. They can easily absorb one or two bad contracts and still have some versatility to be pursuit some UFA.

Obviously the cap situation is part of the valuation but they have some flexibility that the 31 others don’t have.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Not true at all. I honestly think if he were placed in the right position, he could be a great contributor. A 3 year 4M deal where he is part of a strong crew could see him shine. It's why he was good in Nashville.

He is slow and washed up, any team serious about contending should steer clear of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad