HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If we protect Evan's, we lose Chiarot. If we protectEvan's, we lose Chiarot.

What do you value more: a late 2nd or 5.5M in cap space for two years, plus not losing Evans or Chiarot?

How do you figure that Evans has anything to do with Chiarot? You think we consider 4/4/1?

Price
Petry, Weber, Edmundson
Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, Danault, KK, Evans, Lehkonen

Sorry but I don't feel like we should be worried between Chiarot or Allen. Chiarot for one more year and then what? We overpay him? I love the way he plays but he is a bridge to the young guys.

I'd engage in seeing what it takes for them to take one of Allen, Drouin, or Byron. If I feel they get greedy, I back off and live with the results. I think other GM's will do the same for the most part and Seattle realizes this is not like it was with Vegas. I could be wrong but I do think teams are more prepared this time around

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not trading a 1st to keep Evans, no way even if I like the player

It's Evan's and 5.5M in cap space over the next 2 years. And I was advocating trading a 2nd. The 1st would be the 28th, 30th, or 31st in the draft so I'd definitely consider moving that to keep Evan's and get 5.5M in cap space for the next two years. Drouin is useless and we could really use the cap space.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
How do you figure that Evans has anything to do with Chiarot? You think we consider 4/4/1?

Price
Petry, Weber, Edmundson
Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, Danault, KK, Evans, Lehkonen

Sorry but I don't feel like we should be worried between Chiarot or Allen. Chiarot for one more year and then what? We overpay him? I love the way he plays but he is a bridge to the young guys.

I'd engage in seeing what it takes for them to take one of Allen, Drouin, or Byron. If I feel they get greedy, I back off and live with the results. I think other GM's will do the same for the most part and Seattle realizes this is not like it was with Vegas.

Yes, if we go 4,4,1 to protect Chiarot, as many are advocating, we lose Evan's. If we don't go 4, 4, 1, we lose Evans.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes, if we go 4,4,1 to protect Chiarot, as many are advocating, we lose Evan's. If we don't go 4, 4, 1, we lose Evans.

Chiarot for one year of protection is not worth going 4/4/1. Explain how we loose Evans if we don't go 4/4/1? You protecting Armia as a UFA? I think we sign Danault but Armia and Tatar will be asked to explore the market and circle back after they get their best offers

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Chiarot for one year of protection is not worth going 4/4/1. Explain how we loose Evans if we don't go 4/4/1? You protecting Armia as a UFA? I think we sign Danault but Armia and Tatar will be asked to explore the market and circle back after they get their best offers

Chiarot can be re-signed after 1 year. We only lose Evan's if we go 4-4-1. We protect Gallagher, KK, Toffoli, and Anderson. So Evan's would be exposed. That's why I say we're losing Evan's or Chiarot, as it stands now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Chiarot can be re-signed after 1 year. We only lose Evan's if we go 4-4-1. We protect Gallagher, KK, Toffoli, and Anderson. So Evan's would be exposed. That's why I say we're losing Evan's or Chiarot, as it stands now.

I doubt we go 4/4/1. Chiarot is a beast but he's 30 and will be 31 when he needs a new contract. He's going to want to be paid. Age 31 is a bad time to pay guys raises. I love the guy on our team and he's been great for us but there is no way I consider loosing a RFA asset by going 4/4/1.

Try to see if there is a deal to send a pick (one pick, not 3) for them to take one of Allen, Drouin, or Byron. If they get greedy, you just live with the results and we can possibly sign Chiarot as a UFA the year after if we are missing him that much

Sign Chara to replace him for one year. Move Romanov up. There are lots of options for us to live without Chiarot and I actually think Allen will be seriously considered with his 2 years in term and cap hit

Reactions: Whalers Fan

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I doubt we go 4/4/1. Chiarot is a beast but he's 30 and will be 31 when he needs a new contract. He's going to want to be paid. Age 31 is a bad time to pay guys raises. I love the guy on our team and he's been great for us but there is no way I consider loosing a RFA asset by going 4/4/1.

Try to see if there is a deal to send a pick (one pick, not 3) for them to take one of Allen, Drouin, or Byron. If they get greedy, you just live with the results and we can possibly sign Chiarot as a UFA the year after if we are missing him that much

Sign Chara to replace him for one year. Move Romanov up. There are lots of options for us to live without Chiarot and I actually think Allen will be seriously considered with his 2 years in term and cap hit

Yeah we're all entitled to our opinion. I'd rather keep Chiarot and have 5.5M in extra cap space from having Drouin off the books than having one of the last picks innthe 2nd round.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah we're all entitled to our opinion. I'd rather keep Chiarot and have 5.5M in extra cap space from having Drouin off the books than having one of the last picks innthe 2nd round.

I'm somewhat OK with that too if that's the price. I'm not giving them 3 picks though. A 2nd in this next draft is a serious add on Drouin. I don't care what the doomsday people say about Drouin. He's soft but he's still a skilled 50 pts winger

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
But they won't. By respect for him. Habs gonna lose Chiarot OR Evans OR Allen.... OR Drouin if he is actually ready and healthy to play and Habs give some incentive (a pick) to Seattle to take him.
No they are not. Seattle will not take Weber, and the Habs should be able to get that assurance and relay it to shea and the team so know one gets 'disrespected'.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm somewhat OK with that too if that's the price. I'm not giving them 3 picks though. A 2nd in this next draft is a serious add on Drouin. I don't care what the doomsday people say about Drouin. He's soft but he's still a skilled 50 pts winger

So is Tatar and we're better without Tatar in the lineup. With Drouin, the turnovers are just too much.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He is. But Drouin is even worse.

I don't believe so.

- They are both soft but skilled
- Both skate well.
- Drouin is better on the PP vs Tatar
- Tatar is more shifty and creative

Tatar is more liked cause he played with Danault and Gallagher and put up points. Both are risky in terms of their soft style for playoff games and how they would force dumb passes or try something in an area where it might loose the game

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
I would protect Price and send seattle a pick not to pick Allen. We need a proven back up which Allen proved he was this year instead of playing BUG roulette every year. We have a good backup on a reasonable contract for 2 years so lets see if we can develop a goalie in Laval because I am not sure there is one there right now, maybe Primeau or McNiven or some one else.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Who do you protect: Lehkonen or Chiarot (or Weber)?

Lek and Chia, unless i found a trade taker for Weber...

but Weber won't get exposed by MB, so it'll probably fall to Lek or Chia, and while Chia would make more sense than Lek to expose, again here I'd bet on MB making the wrong call.

Reactions: Tyson

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why is it between the two ? I love me some Benny Chi
i think if we only protect 3 d (assuming MB doesn't expose Weber) we lose Chiarot.

If we protect 4d, in order to not lose Chiarot, we can only protect 4 forwards. So Lehkonen (and Evans) get left unprotected (assuming we protect Anderson).

My preference? Give Seattle the picks it takes (within reason) to take Drouin.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Lek and Chia, unless i found a trade taker for Weber...

but Weber won't get exposed by MB, so it'll probably fall to Lek or Chia, and while Chia would make more sense than Lek to expose, again here I'd bet on MB making the wrong call.

it's actually protect Chiarot or protect Lehkonen and Evans... we'll see. Again, my solution is give Seattle the picks it takes (within reason) to take Drouin.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Lehkonen - Danault - Gallagher
Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
X - Kotkaniemi - Anderson
Armia - Evans - Perry - Byron

Chiarot - Weber
Edunsson - Petry
X - Romanov
Kulak

if we sign Danault, Armia and Perry. Loose Drouin to Seattle. It opens up a spot for a UFA or to make room to Poehling, either with armia/perry or on lw with KK/Anderson. And a spot on D ideally for a good defenceman.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Lehkonen - Danault - Gallagher
X - Kotkaniemi - Anderson
Armia - Evans - Perry - Byron

Chiarot - Weber
Edunsson - Petry
X - Romanov
Kulak

if we sign Danault, Armia and Perry. Loose Drouin to Seattle. It opens up a spot for a UFA or to make room to Poehling, either with armia/perry or on lw with KK/Anderson. And a spot on D ideally for a good defenceman.

We're better off making a deal with Seattle for Gally (while getting something back, not sure if we can do this tho) if you wanna be $$ efficient. Defensively Byron does more than Gally, have Lehkonen - Danault - Byron play defensive mins. We have too many small players up front anyways.

So we'd end up saving a good roster player, we'd get something back for Gally + lose his cap hit. Play Drouin but move him midd-season after trying to build his value back up. I honestly feel like Gally is on the brink of starting to slow down (he's taken so much damage in his career), you can see signs of it in his play. It's the best time to capitalize on his trade value imo.

Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Anderson
Lehkonen - Danault - Byron/Armia
Armia/Byron - Evans - Perry

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Who do you protect: Lehkonen or Chiarot (or Weber)?
What is it 7 forwards forwards 3 D and 1 goalie?

Protecting Lehkonen has nothing to do with protecting the D.

On D Weber and his 8 mil cap hit at 36 has to be left unprotected

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Will never happen. Nor it should.
Yeah let's protect a guy that won't be taken...a 36 year old with 5 years at a significant cap hit who is slowing, yeah let's protect him...you make decisions on what is best for the company, not the employee.

You are probably right but it is 100% the wrong decision

Reactions: lou
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad